Windows logo to get a Metro makeover

Goodbye, multi-colored Windows flag inside a blue bubble. Hello, quadrisected monochrome trapezoid. The Verge reports that the familiar Windows logo is going to get a substantial makeover come Windows 8’s release later this year—and the trapezoid look is in.

Chinese site cnBeta actually broke the news yesterday, posting a trio of mockups "re-illustrated according to the real screenshot." That might sound fishy to you, but The Verge says it’s "been able to verify the authenticity of the new design." Fair enough. The trapezoid is expected to replace the flag everywhere, from the charms bar in Windows 8 itself to the markings on Windows 8 devices.

Now, I’ve got to hand it to Microsoft: Metro is the company’s first truly original and unique user-interface design, and the new logo (or, at least, the purportedly legit mockup) matches that look to a tee. It screams: "out with the old, in with the new."

Unfortunately, I think it also screams: "bland." And that’s really too bad.

• crabjokeman

I’m betting a lot of you hate the design (and the whole Metro thing), but you’ll still buy it and convince yourself that you like it.

• ShadowTiger

I think that Windows needs to come up with a design that people actually want on t-shirts, the back of their laptop, etc. Unfortunately, no matter how great a designer/artist you get, a window is going to be hard to work with.

• Wirko

Even more so if the said window is closed.

• rohith10

I’d have made them use the [i<]fake[/i<] new Windows logo shown during MGX a couple of years ago. That one was [b<]far[/b<] better and looks much more contemporary, IMO. [url<]http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/22/new-microsoft-brand-logos-company-tagline-revealed-at-mgx-event/[/url<] (Couldn't find a Tech Report story on the same)

• volnaiskra

I really hope they mean “we did a really quick and dirty illustration based on the original, but don’t worry, the original actually looks like it was made by a graphic designer. An adult graphic designer.”

I was quite happy with the Windows 7 logo – I thought it was the first one that looked genuinely appealing. I think going monochrome is probably a good idea (let the programs in the foreground do the talking, not the logo in the background), but when you go monochrome, you really need a strong design. And this is miles away from being a strong design. It kind of looks like they’ve got their programmers doing the design, 90s-style,

• jackbomb

I’ve just finished my sixth Windows 8 related facepalm.

I [i<]really[/i<] want to like Windows 8, but they're making it [i<]very[/i<] difficult.

• Krogoth

It looks like Windows 8 is going to be the second coming of ME in the desktop/workstation market.

• lilbuddhaman

Or even worse, Office’s Ribbon interface …..

::shudder::

• indeego

What the Microsoft logo needs is a glowing effect when you hover over it. 😛

• plasticplate

Or it could morph into the paperclip office assistant from the ole days 🙂

It’s barely a change worth noting. The flag logo changed before from the original that appeared in Windows 3.1 to the XP logo.

If Microsoft is trying to scream “out with the old, in with the new”, then monochroming and straightedging the flag is hardly an “out with the old” action

[b<]Microsoft's defining feature has always been bloat and inefficiency. Their new logo should be an obese stick-figure, a donut, or an hourglass.[/b<]

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m holding out for metro to be awesome. I could be wrong but if it shapes up the way I hope it could be the first unwarrantedly good product microsoft will have produced… EVER. It might actually stop the trend of doing what other braver companies are doing and start setting the trends as microsoft should have been doing a decade ago.

• Yeats

I haven’t been following the Win8 development closely… are we not getting the ability to turn off Metro?

• Rand

Nope, Metro is everywhere. Even many of the traditional dialog boxes in the “desktop app” are moving to a Metro aesthetic.

• FuturePastNow

There will no doubt be tweaks that involve editing the registry and/or installing third-party start menu replacements, but Microsoft has consistently said that Win8 will be Metro and Metro only. Even on servers.

I don’t know what they’re smoking in Redmond.

• Krogoth

*Citation needed 😉

I cannot fathom why MS would opt for Metro on the server versions of Win 8. It makes more sense to push for CLI for a number of reasons (more direct/secure).

Then again, W8 is really just Win7 Mobile 2.0 .

The push for Metro, lower resource requirements, new sleep mode and start-up modes make it painful obviously.

• axeman

The team responsible for the (G)UI is obviously a team unto itself that doesn’t seem to bothered by what makes sense on a Server, and whatever they come up with just gets borrowed by the Server OS. I get a good chuckle out of the default profile on a Server 2008 (R2) having “Music” and “Videos” folders, as well as defaulting to having these items on the Start Menu, as opposed to replacing them with things that might be more useful on a Server. Not sure about R2, but you can even enable Aero on Server 2008. Now Windows (NT) has come a long ways as a Server OS, but it baffles me why certain aspects of it still smack of a consumer-oriented desktop OS. My experience with the CLI-only versions of Server 2008 has been less than satisfactory, because certain tasks are *very* convoluted without the normal tools for the job (http://www.petri.co.il/remotely-manage-devices-windows-server-2008-core.htm)

• Grigory

Why are they effing up my beloved Windows? 🙁

• Arclight

It looks too…i mean there’s no colour…wtf Microsoft? I’m so not getting Windows 8, [spoiler<]not because of the logo but because i have yet to like any of major changes regarding the graphical interface. It's a glorified portable devices OS.....i don't need that on my desktop....[/spoiler<]

• indeego

THIS NEEDS SUPER-SPOILER TAGS.

• The Dark One

Looks like the Shetland flag.

• spigzone

Believe it when I see it.

The current wavy logo is a design knockout, near perfection. Evokes nothing but ‘good vibes’ when I look at it. Literally makes me feel good. Ms would have to be out of their minds to ditch it.

The look and color of the ‘new’ logo evokes a dark dystopian state machine vibe for me. Almost impossible this emerges into the light.

• Oldtech

It’s lame, just like Windows 8.

• spigzone

And your comment.

• ludi

Thanks to Apple and the smartphone brigade, the aesthetic du jour for these devices is, increasingly, figures and symbols that can transmit a single-color LED backlight, preferably white. So this will work great for that.

That said, are they playing copycat catch-up? Looks like.

• Yeats

At least the new Metro logo looks to be compatible with CGA.

• adisor19

Not many pple get that reference 🙂

Adi

• Yeats

I guess I’m showing my age…

• axeman

It’s the wrong shade of green for the Hercules crowd though.

• Krogoth

Nah, it needs more magenta. 😉

• flip-mode

I hate it. Looks like a house with the lights out. The modernized geometry is fine but losing all the color is a bad move. The color is probably more important to the Windows logo than the geometry.

• chuckula

Hrmm… Apple went from multi-color apple logo to monochrome.
    MS goes from multi-color flag to monochrome.
    Spaceballs GO TO PLAID.

Anybody see a connection?

• 5150

Spaceballs: The Operating System

• yogibbear

Change. Hurrr. Duurrrrrrr… Change never changes. I doubt this is the end logo… not enough brand recognition to get past the test audiences.

• axeman

I’m all for change, just not fugly ones.

• tay

I think the new logo and metro are very flat and bland. Look at your own website. now look at it from 2005. That’s what Metro looks like to me. Here is the site from 2007.
    [url<]https://techreport.com/r.x/2007q3/retro.jpg[/url<]

• ronch

Don’t like.

• Duck

I hate it.

• BobbinThreadbare

Why not keep the colors in the boxes?

• khands

Maybe just a monocolor place holder, some one did a quick and dirty recolor here that looks a little better [url<]http://chattypics.com/viewer.php?file=Windows8Logo_jkj09dg3sj.jpg[/url<]

• indeego

Google started to encroach on the color monopoly.

• Meadows

Because that’s just gay.

• BobbinThreadbare

I thought you like that?

• riviera74

You are being rather kind, Cyril. The new logo is positively LAME, at best. Sometimes, change for change’s sake just does not work. I guess MSFT does not get the following fact: the Metro interface is pathetic and nobody wants their desktop or laptop to be a large tablet or smartphone.

• sweatshopking

I do. i think 8 is a major improvement. stop assuming everyone thinks like you. I realize some of you “enthusiasts” think that any change is bad. You know who else thinks so? my grandmother. you’re obviously welcome to stick to windows 7. Nobody is stopping you. Hell! Buy a mac! But for a great many people, windows 8 does bring tangible improvements. The live tiles are great. Have you used the developer preview with anyone besides a nerd? I know my lots of non-techy people who really like it, and it was a developer preview!.

That being said, i’m not sure i actually buy the logo change. they just changed the windows phone one, and it looks nothing like that. I can’t imagine them changing it again. Not the first time MS hasn’t been consistent with branding though.

• plasticplate

a. Its just a logo man.
      b. Some people (re: SSK) might like the Metro interface.
      c. If u dont like the metro, u dont have to stick with it. Just switch GUI to traditional kind. Problem solved.

• Forge

Solution C does not work. MS actively works to flip you back into Metro. Your little jaunts outside the Official Approved UI will be logged, and if necessary, punished!

• plasticplate

U r right in a sense. It does take a little getting used to. Every time i clicked the start button in the preview build, i got switched to the metro interface. But the traditional GUI is still there.

• Yeats

[quote<]...nobody wants their desktop or laptop to be a large tablet or smartphone.[/quote<] Actually, many people would like that. I wouldn't personally, but I've asked several non-techie people if they would like their computers to look and behave similarly to their smartphones, and every time the answer was "yes".

• srg86

I wonder if their opinion will change once they try to do anything useful on their non-touch screen machines

• Yeats

Sadly, many people don’t do anything “useful” on their PC’s. To them, the PC is simply a virtual socialization portal.

• sweatshopking

What’s sad about that? Are they not to serve a purpose? Is socialization not a valid end? Talk about a condescending position!I guess we should all be clamouring after the newest games, because that’s a better use of the tech….

• BobbinThreadbare

One does have to wonder if such a person does need or even want a traditional desktop computer.

• Yeats

Did I say socialization is “not a valid end”? No, I didn’t Did I imply that using a PC for socialization is bad? No, I didn’t.

Got a rash on your psyche?

Edit: BobbinThreadbare (#39) hit the nail on the head.

• sweatshopking

you did say “sadly”, and discounted socialization as “not useful”, implying it wasn’t valid. I guess, i find that we often ridicule people who don’t do “more” with their computers. I would agree that if facebook is your thing, you might be served reasonably well by a smart phone, but i know most people use facebook AND some kind of office software. students, parents, etc. I think the traditional desktop is going to be here for a while, and until we have lazer input, the keyboard and mouse will stick around.

• PeterD

[quote<][quote<] ...nobody wants their desktop or laptop to be a large tablet or smartphone. [/quote<] Actually, many people would like that.[/quote<] Those people shouldn't be using a desktop.

• bcronce

“the Metro interface is pathetic”

Tell that to the engineers with PHDs and all the researches who have found otherwise.

oh.. I’m sorry, I forgot to ask if you had a PHD in user-interfaces and had access to hundreds of thousands of data points that you made such an astute observation.

I don’t always like what MS does, but they do have one of the brightest and most talented research dept in the world. MS has a larger research dept than IBM and Intel combined. It’s very impressive.

• indeego

?

Microsoft R&D is 7 billion.
        Intel and IBM are ~6.6/6 Billion each.

Probably because IBM is a services company with research roots. Intel is the biggest Semi on the planet, by a longshot.

It actually impresses me more that a smaller R&D produces more revenue. IBM alone makes ~40 billion more a year than Microsoft.

• plasticplate

[quote<] IBM alone makes ~40 billion more a year than Microsoft. [/quote<] I guess i missed something..

• steddy

Whatever. For me, the “Windows logo” will always be that flag that appeared in the Windows ’95 startup.

• 5150

^This.

• srg86

Agreed, that old Logo, used from Win 3.x up through Windows 2000 will always be the definitive logo.

In fact if the logos are correct in Wikipedia, and that mock-up is also correct, that new logo looks more like the one for Windows 2.0.

• Wirko

It could be 1.0 ([url<]http://www.techspot.com/news/47459-windows-logo-to-get-a-metro-makeover-in-windows-8.html[/url<]). In any case, it that was more recognizable than the new one, if it's real.