The Mass Effect 3 demo is up for grabs

If that 40-minute gameplay video wasn’t enough to get you psyched for the next chapter in the Mass Effect series, EA and BioWare have now rolled out a demo. It’s available for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3; you can grab the PC version here, though EA’s Origin game manager is required.

The Mass Effect 3 demo purpotedly features "two spectacular levels from the single-player campaign, along with intense four player co-op multiplayer matches." You might not be able to try out the multiplayer just yet, though. The mode apparently has an "early access period running from February 14 to February 17," with early access granted only to "players who have activated their Battlefield 3 online pass"—whatever that means.

That’s not the only tie-in between Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3, by the way. Joystiq reports that EA is giving a free copy of the former to folks who pre-order the latter on Origin. Just don’t count on getting your free game before Mass Effect 3 comes out on March 6. The pre-order states, "Instructions on how to redeem your bonus PC Digital Download copy of Battlefield 3™ will be sent to you via email when Mass Effect™ 3 is released." (Thanks to TR regular DrDillyBar for the heads up.)

• yogibbear

Guys the BF3 preorder bonus is [b<]US only[/b<]. i.e. the majority of the world are shafted here, like myself.

• odizzido

Offering a copy of BF3 with ME3?….sounds like a step in the right direction.

Now if they lower the price of ME3 to $5 I might be interested. Hopefully origin will have sales like steam or I will never use them.

• Sahrin

Newegg’s had it on sale for $48 a couple of times for preorder.

• DrDillyBar

The Demo is short, but I’m looking forward to the multiplayer on Friday.

• Krogoth

I don’t understand the hate for Origin.

It is the same as most of the major DD providers on the web. They all look in your system for configuration settings and taking sample on hardware specs so they have a better idea of what kind systems are out there in the market. They have each have DRM scheme that requires you to phone home at some point.

• thesmileman

I hate the fact that there service in its current state is poorly implemented. Things like automatically charging you for a game then not letting you download it for 6 hours.

I hate that they told me to call them about the above issue then put me on hold once and I waited for 45 minutes before hanging up. After tons of gripping and calling they said “oh yea sorry about that we all went home for the night and forgot to tell you.”

I hate that they use their IP to force you into installing their service when it can easily operate on other services without problems. I am not saying other people don’t do it either I am just saying I hate it.

I hate that I have wasted this much time to say all this so I am not going to mention my other hates.

• mcnabney

Only Origin completely analysis your computer. What games you have ever played (and maybe those player IDs?). Every App you have ever installed? How often you use it? Registration status of every piece of software on your computer. Hell, it could be identifying every account you access, your browsing habits, HELL, that damn EULA could allow it to be a keylogger. It is SPYWARE in every sense of the word.

• mslowe7187

Most PC gamers having a raging nerd hard-on for Steam and GabeN, simple as that. I don’t think origin is a perfect program, and I’m not a fan of how it scans your pc but meh, whatever. I usually still buy physical copies of games anyway.

• mcnabney

ME3….can’t…..run…..without……Origin.

• ImSpartacus

It’s about choice.

If I want to use Steam, I should be able to use Steam. It’s a mature service that should have a comprehensive selection.

Valve put its games on Origin, yet EA hasn’t reciprocated.

• plasticplate

Theres 3 reasons i dont like origin and neither of them is EA’s fault….well almost.

a. Origin client is not as refines as steam (As in Updates, Mesaging and Notifications, etc..)
      b. I dont want to add all my Steam Friends on my Origin acc. again. Its just tedious.
      c.I think i already have enough programs running in the background.

• willyolio

the main problem is that they’re trying to create a competitor to Steam, leveraging the fact that they own a lot of popular franchises to force people onto a crappier system.

If you want to make a digital delivery system, and one already exists, you could at the very least just copy them and make it just as good.

nah, EA just slaps on a half-ass job and takes advantage of the fact that they’re a behemoth. Screw you, EA, and Origin.

• Disco

you make it sound as if EA is doing something different from what Valve did 7-8 years ago. The only reason ANYONE installed Steam (which at the time was a buggy piece of crap) was because we were all drooling over the HalfLife2 physics footage we has seen and wanted to play. Without HL2 there would have been NO Steam installs.

start rant

Personally, I hate all these downloaded installs linked to accounts. It means there are no used game sales (recently Valve has been making up for this somewhat with their holiday sales etc. but that is only in the last couple years). No trading with friends/family, which is especially problematic for short single player games. Total loss of control of your purchased product.

Most recently, I have been extremely frustrated with Steam accounts because I bought a game (rollercoastrer tycoon) on a Christmas sale for my kids. Great game by the way… but I made the mistake of buying with my Steam account and not creating a new one for the kids. So, whenever they want to play on ‘their’ computer, I have to go and physically type in my password, logging off of Steam on my primary desktop. So I can’t even browse the Steam store, much less play my own games while they are playing a singleplayer game OFFLINE in the other room. Within 2 weeks of the purchase I contacted Valve support to try to switch the game to the kids’ account, but I got the boilerplate letter 2 weeks later stating that games can’t be switched, no matter what. Very frustrating and pointless.

end rant

TLDR summary: I don’t understand why Steam has such loyal Fanbois. It’s no better than lots of other DRM.

• willyolio

steam was crappy and i didn’t install it until about 3 years ago… when it had become pretty good. nobody was a fan of steam when it first came out, and plenty of people ranted and railed against it.

and as you’ve pointed out, Steam still has room for improvement. Origin, however, offers nothing improved and everything worse.

Therefore, Origin sucks. Steam is still the best service available. If you want to distribute your content over the internet, you should do it with the best service possible. That means Steam, or [i<]make your own service better than Steam[/i<]. Origin fails on both fronts.

• Disco

And I will agree that that last thing we all need is 50 different accounts with different vendors who are all trying to provide the same thing and leave online programs constantly running in the background.

It’s amazing that Microsoft hasn’t done a better job of either providing a PC game portal (associated with their Live program) or at least a single game library organization (a bit like Steam) which could be useful for notifying for game updates etc. They did/do have that games for windows that they promoted (sort of) with XP, but it never really went anywhere due the poor support.

• BobbinThreadbare

Microsoft doesn’t want PC gaming to do well, they want everyone to buy Xboxen.

• Sahrin

[quote<]I suspect most of the hate actually comes from EA deciding to dump Steam,which means EA has complete control on what prices to set.[/quote<] EA always had complete control on what prices to set. Valve wanted to control/limit how you can sell content *in game* (much as Apple controls how you can sell content on iOS devices) and EA balked. As someone who has 100% unadulterated hatred for EA, I actually can see their point on this. Steam exists basically exclusively in a platform (the PC) that is designed around complete openness. Steam is successful because it made DRM transparent and largely makes doing whatever the fuck they want *easier* for users. Valve are now trying to impose an arbitrary set of guidelines on developers/publishers, based on "making a good experience." The problem is this is antithethical to the idea of Steam.

• burntham77

Origin by itself is ok. It doesn’t do anything special, but it doesn’t really get in the way. I run it, it auto-updates whatever game I want to play and that’s it. Then it’s all about the game. It doesn’t really add anything, and I do wish I could get EA games on Steam, but it is certainly not worthy of the hate it gets.

• yogibbear

Okay… seriously… why is use/roll/cover/run all bound to the same button? And why is the UI sooo fricking tiny?

Oh god… I don’t want to even go past the first minute of this.

Okay I finished the demo. If someone video tapped that there was a lot of rolling and unneccessary cover taking when I was just trying to open a door or run…. :/ REALLY BAD CONTROL SCHEME.

• mcnabney

Because Consoles.

• willyolio

i had this problem with ME2 already: i wanted to jump over a ledge- no way to do it except by taking cover (on the wrong side, i was under fire and running!) and then hopping over.

Running towards a door, again under fire… take cover beside the door if Shepard’s shoulder clipped the wall. ugh.

now they add rolling. yay.

• mslowe7187

I love all the Origin qq’ing. I must be using a different program because it’s always worked fine for me, no problems. I don’t let trivial issues like which download service I have to use get in the way of the games I want to play. Get over it!

• Forge

Origin required = NO SALE, EA.

Give it up, there are enough download managers out there, and Direct2Drive, Steam and friends ALL do it better than you have!

• deinabog

I finished the demo last night (played it on my PC). It’s good except but a little short; the Reckoning demo was longer since you had to play it for 45 minutes to get the ME3 bonus armor and weapon (talking to the NPCs didn’t count toward gameplay). Since I had Reckoning installed I picked the Omniblade daggers after completing the demo.

That said Mass Effect 3 will be a good game when it drops in three weeks.

• Corrado

Buying it for xbox360 because I won’t install origin. Theres that + I’d need a new power supply to put my good video card back in my desktop and I really don’t want to do that.

• kamikaziechameleon

Better yet if you really want to get their goat buy it used… da da da!

• Corrado

I probably will. I don’t play multiplayer anyways… Does ME3 have multiplayer? The first 2 didn’t.

• DrDillyBar

ME3 does have multi-player, but it’s not required to participate to complete the single player game, apparently.

• [+Duracell-]

Dammit…I don’t have BF3 and I was holding out. Now they’re tempting me with a free copy of BF3 when I preorder ME3?

My wallet and soul will hate me on Friday 🙁

• ImSpartacus

Not installing Origin…

And yes, holding out is now the cool thing to do. I’m so cool.

• Narishma

Do you have to pre-order before you can download the demo? Clicking on the “Get it now” button on that page doesn’t seem to do anything.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Sticky grenades. That is all.

EDIT: oh, and power combos.

• yogibbear

Hmmm….. trying to not install Origin….. holding back mouse hand with other hand….. GOD DAMMIT!

• HisDivineOrder

Do it. You know you want to. Do it…

Everyone’s doing it. Do it…

All the cool kids are doing it. Do it…

If you don’t do it, everyone’ll think you suck. Do it.

Origin’s in, Steam’s out. Do it…

Just do it. You know you will. If it’s not The Old Republic, Battlefield 3, or Mass Effect 3, it’ll be Dead Space 3 or Bad Company 3 or some other EA PC title that you know you want.

Worst of all, if you don’t do it, you can’t save Earth from the Reapers. Do you want the Earth to fall to such putz’s? Do you? I didn’t think so. Origin welcomes you, comrade, to the new Order. Sign your EULA, hand your soul over to the White and Orange Devil, and give away all your rights to everything you own in favor of an often expensive alternative to Steam owned by a company that would LOVE to get rid of the Steam sales asap.

You know you want to…

• yogibbear

FFS I downloaded the Origin client and my name was already used… then I realised it was using my ME2/DA2 login info…

Now it won’t connect to the Origin store… FFFSSSSS POS software. Giving me an “invalid cache” error, when I haven’t done anything but the default install. Stupid Origin client. I already hate it.

• yogibbear

OKAY now it’s been ten minutes. This is the BUGGIEST, SLOWEST, PIECE OF S(*@$_)@(_@#+!)( EVER.

I AM NOT PREORDERING YOUR STUPID GAME EVEN THOUGH I DON’T HAVE BF3 EITHER BECAUSE I CAN’T EVEN CONNECT TO YOUR STORE!

• yogibbear

OMG I GOT IN.

IN MY COUNTRY ORIGIN PRICES MASS EFFECT 3 PREORDER @ $99.99 USD.

OMG GO F(&*@$_(*!@( YOURSELVES.

Can buy both and wait 4 days for shipping for less.

• kamikaziechameleon

Its too late the damage is done, EA has scanned your harddrive for all your medical and banking information and began distributing it to the highest bidder.

• yogibbear

Also…. I don’t see anything on the Origin storepage about getting BF3 for free… is this BS? is this only for americans or something?

• Forge

Yarrrr! I’ll save us from them Reapers, matey!

Content Lock is not a trump to Pirate Key!