Far Cry 3 trailer sets mature tone

Although I really enjoyed the most of the original Far Cry, the sequel really didn’t do it for meβ€”all the driving made the game feel more like Grand Theft Auto than a first-person shooter. Ubisoft has been working on the third chapter in the franchise for over 3.5 years, and an official trailer has now hit the web. Warning: it’s loaded with F-bombs and probably isn’t safe for workβ€”or younger audiences.

Although the language is a bit much and the footage seems largely taken from cinematic sequences, I have to admit I’m intrigued. The graphics look stunning, and the setup makes me hope for a compelling narrative, even if relies on a tired “save the girl” theme. A gameplay demo from this year’s E3 expo shows several minutes of in-game action, plus plenty of additional cursing, and it looks promising.

Far Cry 3 is due out in September, so it should hit before the usual wave of holiday releases. The game is coming out on multiple platforms, and we don’t yet know whether the PC will be treated to any graphical enhancements. Given the franchise’s roots, it would be nice if PC gamers got to enjoy some extra eye candy, preferrably without having to wait until after the console versions come out.

• Arclight

Boooooooooooo Ubisoft.

• Namtrooper

I literally just signed up to TR just to mention that the amount of negativity in most articles nowadays are staggering. Yes Farcry 2 had too much driving. Yes it’s made by Ubisoft. Yes the DRM is ridiculous. Do we have to hear the same old rhymes over and over. Jeez. People, just relax.

Personally, I enjoyed the trailer. I’ll probably buy the game. Hopefully there isn’t DRM in it that breaks it.
    Give the people credit for actually trying to perfect a formula. Have a nice day everyone πŸ™‚

• destroy.all.monsters

“Yes it’s made by Ubisoft. Yes the DRM is ridiculous. Do we have to hear the same old rhymes over and over.”

Yes, yes we do. Until people stop feeding the terrorists (in this case Ubisoft) the terrorists win. Of course first they’ll say that “PC Gaming is Dead!!eleven” then they’ll finally let the crazy drm stance go. When your cat pees all over your new couch do you reward him? When your dog sh-ts on your beautiful new rug do you get him a treat? No. No you don’t.

This is no different.

• link626

preorder now?? based on just cgi scenes?
    yeah right.

• Vivaldi

C’mon TR, no comments about Ubisoft’s absurd, restrictive DRM policies?

Far Cry 3 is brought to you by the same company that mandates an internet connection, at all times, during even single-player campaigns and implements ridiculous, draconian methods to keep you in check.

Go elsewhere with your $currency.

• kamikaziechameleon

oh far cry 2, good premise, amazing tech, GREAT setting, potentially fun story/theme… poor execution. The game just didn’t really go together well. The world was large and interesting yet never felt like it was populated or alive. Everyone was a adult male villain and that is a waste of the setting, the totally misses the strife of africa right now and also doesn’t convey the negative impact of the villain on that world as it doesn’t feel like a real world. The gunplay was fun but the games pacing was junk as it was driving and shooting with no tangible motivation or logical reason. The MP was a glitch tastic mess like farcry 1 before it, sad considering the tech’s power.

I see this trailer and like farcry 2 before It I see the same core issue, Cool(though not as much as the prior game) technology/setting/theme/story/gunplay… will it come together any better? I sincerely doubt it. But I can still hope can’t I.

• Silus

Hated the trailer! And if that’s the premise of the story in the game, it sucks…Hopefully it’s at least fun to play.

• odizzido

Looks a little more like FC1 which is a good thing.

What I really liked about FC1 was that not only were there a bunch of ways to get from point A to point B, but the two factions were at war as well. Sometimes it just as fun trying to get by without getting involved in the fighting. Or trying to pick the losing side to help first to make things easier on yourself. It really added a lot more to the standard “shoot anything that moves” FPS.

Of course knowing ubisoft the game is going to not only suck, but have horrible DRM while doing it. I don’t really care about this game, so I guess this post is just to say that I had fun playing FC1.

• aceuk

Far Cry 3 has been Max Payne’d! πŸ™

• squeeb

Did they add bullet time?

• Generic

Actually looking forward to this. I’ve personally never played a “realistic” save-our-princess game. Though the lady coming out of (what I can only assume is) her lair slaps you right back into video game land.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is; if your going to make your game around a cliche’ (lone guy versus gang bangers), make it as gritty and realistic as possible. Go for the gusto and be un-apologetic about it.

The games visuals certainly get you a good way to that goal.

• Malphas

I’d much rather play as the mohawk guy and not some generic frat-boy douche.

• indeego

+1 dubstep.
    +1 Island
    +1 Breasts with many poly attention
    +1 Decent acting?

Please bring it back to Far Cry 1 roots!

-1 bros
      -1 dubstep
      -∞ ubisoft

crap game confirmed.

• cygnus1

[quote<] -∞ ubisoft [/quote<] most definitely

• Meadows

Yes, well, yes.

• BobbinThreadbare

It’s not going back to it’s roots without Crytek, so it never is.

• swaaye

Far Cry had that insta super aim AI and some really annoying Serious Sam-ish mutant stuff. Crysis was basically Far Cry reimagined, I thought.

• south side sammy

good timing. guess what I’m playing now ? Yup, FC2…. AGAIN. Has lot of replay-ability. Controls are good/only time you need internet connection is for initial install. open world/many ways to play/ can go on diamond quests only and that seems to be a game in itself. takes hours upon hours to play. try and get that from a modern single player game.
    what game did I buy last week and regret ? BC3. what total horse manure. have to wait for game to load online. origin blows. get a ton of mouse and keyboard lag. game totally sucks. nothing like BC2. shame on these guys. no more games after FC3…. unless it plays like FC2 and they come out with a FC4……… did I say I liked FC2 ?

• Madman

You’re kidding me, right? Right?!!!?! FC2????

• south side sammy

No, I’m not kidding. One of the best games to come along in a while. Sick of COD after COD4. Suppose you still like playing the same game under a different name….. not me. BC2 was okay. Kinda short but 10 times better than BC3. I player that 3 times. May get around to it again one day but not as good as FC2. The original Crysis was good. Replaying that too. Semi open world, original, good game. The Medal of Honor games after the original 3 all sucked for one reason or another. Then dump the hybrid games/console ports…….. glad I’m near the end because there’s truly not a lot to like about the direction and control they impose.

• Applecrusher

Tried the STALKER games? From the sounds of what you like you’ll be quite impressed.

And by BC3 I assume you mean BF3? I believe your doing it wrong.. You are not meant to play the single player. Its there because COD has a single player, no other reason.

• south side sammy

Yep, meant BF3. Kinda confusing anymore. If these morons would make a single player only and leave all the restrictions out I might not complain so much. SP with MP option ( to buy separately ) As far as Mp goes/too much cheating/can’t serve your own games/can’t mod so you can be different than the rest/can’t make maps/PERKS………… don’t play MP anymore and have no desires to.
            stalker games….. tried the first one. Never finished it. Didn’t like the feel of the game. graphics were kinda weird.

• Airmantharp

You should probably stop playing games; they seem to have an adverse effect on you.

• south side sammy

in what way ? I gripe because PC gaming has been taken over by the “thumb” suckers and any ownership you have after paying for the game has disappeared. You old enough to remember actually owning what you pay for and being able to have a game run perfectly because it was finished when it was released ? and remember the days when you could install a game on any machine anywhere and have it run whether you had internet or not ? Did you ever pull a game apart and write new code, or make a map or a mod ? That’s giving beyond just being able to see what’s on the screen and/or actually playing. Can’t do that any more. Screw all these maggots. The “FUN” is being and has been taken out of games and gaming when those of us that like that more than playing can’t do that anymore. Remember when you could game for hours and not finish a game ? Now a game lasts 5 hours……… that’s a lot for you $60 isn’t it ? Remember when games actually had a story line you could follow. Not just go from one scenario after another with nothing linking them together… seems like that art has disappeared also……… so go the brains of console gamers that make games for PC’ers.

• squeeb

BC2 sucked…ya that didn’t stop me from logging 100+ hours on it, but I needed my Bfield fix. BF3 (minus Origin) is great. That said, I still miss stuff from the original games like being able to move the ships…

• plasticplate

I liked the open ended concept of Far Cry 2 and its expansive world. But it does get tiring to drive around so much. Its more annoying when a bunch of enemies you just killed a couple of mins back come back to life at the same checkpoint when u r leaving an area after completing a mission. But i still like the game a lot. It was awesome looking and the color palette of the game was just…fitting.

• KilgoreTrout

Yeah, FC2 was definitely not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. The combat was really good and the setting interesting. But the auto-respawning checkpoints, as you say, got really, really tiring.

• squeeb

If I remember correctly, you could jack a bus and drive that around…cool game, but ya I never got very far in it. Too much driving. Day & night concept was neat, as was the setting and of course the tech.

• ShadowTiger

Its an interesting direction for the franchise, though I haven’t played the 2nd game. I think it could be a good move.

However, I have to say that the trend towards more and more hollywood-like experiences really turns me off, since I’m more of an open world choose your own adventure type of person. Lets hope they don’t ruin what was good about far cry in the first place.

• CasbahBoy

[quote<]Given the franchise's roots, it would be nice if PC gamers got to enjoy some extra eye candy, preferrably without having to wait until after the console versions come out.[/quote<] This is Ubisoft we're talking about. An artificial three, six, or twelve month delay on the PC release is virtually guaranteed - and it will probably require a persistent Internet connection with a lifetime maximum of three activations for legitimate customers.

• plasticplate

I thought they didnt do that anymore

• wierdo

Sadly they’re only getting worse.

• Madman

Yep, Prince of Persia (4th, one with the cartoonish look, and no additional name) was the last game I brought from Ubisoft, it had no DRM and was awesome, one of my favorites. Then they pulled trick that the story continuation for this game is only available as a DLC for consoles only. And released all further games as DRM infested, always online games. I’m not buying anything from Ubisoft again. I just wonder how companies can screw up so badly, and so fast… Ubisoft is on my boycott list ever since.

• BobbinThreadbare

And check out what their stock price as done since 2008

[url<]http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1329347077407&chddm=673749&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=EPA%3AUBI&&hl=en[/url<]

• Madman

That warmed my heart πŸ™‚ It’s so nice to feel that voting with your wallet actually means something and is not entirely pointless. πŸ™‚

And the guys at Ubisoft should keep blaming the piracy πŸ˜€ That will help πŸ˜€

• aceuk

I have boycotted every UbiSoft game so far due to their obnoxious DRM. I would be very surprised if FC3 was any different.

• OneArmedScissor

I like how video games with dialogue limited to four letter words and jiggling, disproportionate female anatomy that only a 13 year old would be attracted to regularly qualify as “mature,” as opposed to “childish.”

• dpaus

Downvotes = ‘truth hurts’

EDIT: and post = self-fulfilling prophecy πŸ™‚

• sweatshopking

that’s what i tell myself EVERY TIME I POST.

• vargis14

Me too.I feel like i am from mars or something every time i post anything even if its to help someone.Is it all because i don’t have the best writing skills,did i say something derogatory to anyone?Not that i know of.
          But its plain and simple i just love this site,the best tech site on the web.Been reading it for 10 years and can honestly say its my morning newspaper.

Ohh BTW I am looking forward to this game:)

• burntham77

Did I miss something? What jiggly?

• esterhasz

It’s because of the language. Sexism, sadism, and extreme levels of violence are OK for kids, but you can’t say “fuck”. That would ruin the young ones for life.

The trailer is really well done though but they got that right for FC2 as well…

• DancinJack

My goodness. I don’t even know what to say.

• plasticplate

Good. Dont say anything πŸ˜›

• SomeOtherGeek

Yea, I didn’t even watch it and I’m at home without the kids… It is getting worse as time goes on. I miss the days of just the good ol’ clean witting dialog.