It’s official: The new Windows logo is a monochrome trapezoid

Score one for the rumor mill. Microsoft officially unveiled the Windows 8 logo on its Windows Blog this morning, and as expected, it’s a monochrome trapezoid split into quarters:

Microsoft’s in-house artists got help from design agency Pentagram to come up with the new emblem. During the brainstorming process, Pentagram raised a pointed question: "your name is Windows. Why are you a flag?" In the end, the revamped logo turned out not unlike the original Windows 1.0 logo from 1985, which predated the flag motif.

The blog post, which was written by Microsoft User Experience Director Sam Moreau, outlines some of the goals Microsoft had for the updated logo:

1. We wanted the new logo to be both modern and classic by echoing the International Typographic Style (or Swiss design) that has been a great influence on our Metro style design philosophy. Using bold flat colors and clean lines and shapes, the new logo has the characteristics of way-finding design systems seen in airports and subways.
2. It was important that the new logo carries our Metro principle of being “Authentically Digital”. By that, we mean it does not try to emulate faux-industrial design characteristics such as materiality (glass, wood, plastic, etc.). It has motion – aligning with the fast and fluid style you’ll find throughout Windows 8.

3. Our final goal was for the new logo to be humble, yet confident. Welcoming you in with a slight tilt in perspective and when you change your color, the logo changes to reflect you. It is a “Personal” Computer after all.

Good on Microsoft for being bold and daring—that hasn’t really been the company’s forte in the past. I’ll reiterate my assessment from the rumor coverage, though: the new logo does look a little bland.

• Forge

Windows 8: Even the logo seems to be a bad idea.

• kamikaziechameleon

Surprised there isn’t some sorta sans serif jokes floating around in the forums.

• kamikaziechameleon

Love or hate the logo I love what it symbolizes for microsoft. For the first time in a long long long, wait maybe it never was this way… but anyway what I’m talking about it microsoft is unifying all of its platforms under one aesthetic. Metro tile interface, desktop, mobile, xbox, etc. Hopefully this will begin an era of micorsoft actually working to bring together its desperate components rather than using them to compete against one another (think GFWL and xbox live)

I mean honestly not even mac has yet successfully integrated its developer platforms. Microsoft is poised to beat mac to this punch and then some. Still my favorite dog in this race is Google, they have promoted the most open and forward thinking platform of all. If only they could unify stuff more. Chrome OS seems to not really gel with Android at all.

• Bensam123

You have different platforms for different devices. They remain segregated because they fits very different needs. Unifying them into one is an extremely stupid move… just like MS to do that.

For instance you use tiles on a phone because you have your fingers to work with instead of a very precise pointing device and a 23″ monitor in front of you with a lot of workspace. You don’t put giant tiles on a computer because you don’t need them and they take up craploads of space you could use for something else. That’s why desktop icons are a certain size. They’re the size that best fits the needs of what they’re used for.

GFWL is a scattered mess with no real goals or aims anymore.

• Vrock

That’s…not a trapezoid. It’s a rectangle drawn with perspective.

• Fighthouse

I was trying to figure out the trapezoid thing too.

• Meadows

That’s also a trapezoid, because it has a pair of parallel sides.

• Vrock

No. A rectangle is a quadrilateral, as is a trapezoid, but a trapezoid is not a rectangle.

• Cyril

“That’s not a rhombus. It’s a rotated parallelogram!”

• destroy.all.monsters

On another note I can’t imagine why Pentagram would be designing logos.

Why Bobby Liebling, why? 🙂

Here’s something for the folks that have no idea what I’m talking about:
    [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1yfL26HkO8&feature=related[/url<] [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6QuUN7z7Y&feature=related[/url<]

• moose17145

If i came up with this… everyone would say it sucked… even the people at microsoft who are now clamoring all over this thing as their new and improved logo… but because they paid some company millions and someone with an art degree came up with this, its OMG AWESOME!!! … seriously the world just baffles me sometimes. I don’t understand one bit how this is an improvement over the current / old logo. If i were the guy in charge of picking the new logo… i would sent this back to pentagram and tell them to get someone who can come up with something more innovative than taking a strait edge and making a faded Greek flag.

• destroy.all.monsters

Bastards. I wanted a dodecahedron!

• anotherengineer

I was expecting this 😉

[url<]http://rlv.zcache.com/broken_window_binder-p127471661365235309zv8ci_400.jpg[/url<]

• bacondreamer

“4. We just bought Greece so we had to make sure our logo reflects part of that country.”

• sschaem

What are you talking about ? its not even close to the same shade of blue…
      [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Greece_(1822-1978).svg[/url<]

• rythex

Relax.. I think it’s a joke!

• dpaus

I think it’s just an acknowledgement that, much like Greece, they’re but a faded version of their former glory….

• ludi

Next you’re going to tell me it’s not a trapezoid, either.

In Phase 3, we can argue about the stripe width.

• TEAMSWITCHER

They had to include the wording “Windows” so that people would understand the branding. That’s a pretty clear indication that the new logo, all by itself, was deficient in establishing the identity. They should have stuck with the existing logo, and just dropped the coloring. Like Apple did when then replaced the rainbow apple logo with a simple apple shape.

• SurfinBird

lmao.. I never log in to make comments on this site, but I had to.. I think it looks awful 😛

• burntham77

That looks like the UI of the Windows Phone. Neat.

that’s pretty much the point. Windows 8 = Windows 7 + WP7 UI. So they’re saying 7+7=8

• Malphas

It’s just a simple, discreet logo. Most corporate logos are the same, e.g. the Apple apple, the Nike swoosh, etc. The previous logo was far too fussy and ugly, I think this is an improvement. Logos should just become part of the background, they’re not meant to be something you really notice or care about.

actually that’s the opposite of true. The logo is how you establish your brand in the marketplace.

• willyolio

they could have at least kept the colours. isn’t the Metro UI going to be colourful?

• clone

thought the old logo was nice enough, clean and simple / elegant.

new logo looks uninspired, old, boring, inorganic, outdated, that said I don’t care it’s not something that concerns me.

• sdghjyukty
    • moog

Google did steal Microsoft’s logo (Chrome browser logo). I can understand wanting to differentiate.

This one might be bland enough that the mensa at Google will completely overlook.

• Meadows

Where did Google do such a thing?

• sweatshopking

he’s suggesting they poached the colors, and made it round.

• Meadows

If using the same colours is “stealing”, then there’s a lot of crime going on with all sorts of logos.

We’re not even talking about “specific” colours, such as the trademarked purple shade of all Milka packaging; we’re talking about the [i<]three prime pigments[/i<] (+ green). You can't trademark "red", or "blue", or whatnot. Google stole nothing, they've used all those colours for many years.

• willyolio

they stole the colours from Simon!

• ub3r

Looks like they are aiming for a simplistic logo, to try to compete with the simplicity of the apple logo. I think Microsoft feels intimidated by apple.

• d0g_p00p

Looks boring and generic. The window pane graphic I don’t mind so much, it’s just the text that bothers me. I personally think if they teamed up the new window graphic with the text from Windows 1.0 and kept the teal color it would look pretty slick.

I don’t know that’s just me though.

• cheapFreeAgent

So Microsoft will be in Euro 2012 in group D.

• Wirko

I don’t want to be a flag any more. From now on, I’m the guard of the walled garden!

([url=http://www.colourbox.com/image/low-angle-view-of-prison-window-image-521947<]and this is where I get inspiration[/url<])

• BobbinThreadbare

*windowed garden

• crabjokeman

In related news, a Pentagram employee was hospitalized with a severe case of hysterical laughter. He was on his way to the bank at the time..

• ronch

[quote<]"your name is Windows. Why are you a flag?"[/quote<] I bet the person who said this thinks he's uber smart, having asked the question no one has asked before. But you see, the Win7 logo was [u<]stylized[/u<], not like this boring trapezoid that takes the Windows concept too seriously. If no one has ever asked this question before, it's because it's just too dumb to ask that nobody even considered asking it.

• LaChupacabra

It is kind of brilliant that the first OS they are releasing going from a “Windowed” to a “Live Tile” interface is the one someone finally called out using a flag as a logo for windows.

I think their consultant missed the point.

• spigzone

Interesting strategy creating a near total disassociation from their most successsful operating system and logo ever – Win 7.

On the other hand Win 8 is a radical departure from the past and is all about unifying the experience across platforms and interoperability, which the new logo does reflect in a monocromatic “hey, look, we’re all the same ‘color’ now” way and extending the horizontal perspective lines creates a left to right expanding into the future while getting closer effect. The precise saturation of the color seems about right too. The single factor that stikes me as most odd in the height proportion between the right edge of the window and the height of the capital W. There might not have been an optimal proportion there, just a ‘least objectionable – most balanced’ one.

Finding myself kinds liking it already after initially not liking it. Bodes well for it’s rate of acceptence and lack of anything that might cause a negative subconcious reaction.

I Ms can make Win 8 a substantially more desirable and compelling integrated experience than Windows 7, especially in the 16 to 36 demographic, that logo might become a sought after status symbol for the ‘in’ crowd fairly rapidly. As long as there in nothing intrinsically offputting in the logo the simian brain reacts negatively to on a deep level, what’s ‘fashionable’ can change radically over time. That color and simplicity might also be appealing in a world increasingly ‘out of control’ for the average person.

Incredible complexity of factors involved with something so seemingly simple.

• ronch

After much brainstorming and megabucks paid to Pentagram, they come up with this. Somehow I feel like Microsoft is trying to be a bit like Apple. If you look at it that way, then maybe it’s ok. But all those PCs out there cannot and never will be Apples nor can they convey the classy feeling Apple does, partly because their designs widely vary and, depending on your tastes, could look dorky or outright ugly. Bottomline: If MS’s intention is to make all those Windows PCs feel classy, I think they failed.

• Arclight

Looks like the swedish flag now. I liked it way more before.

• NeelyCam

Color blind?

• Arclight

I said “looks like” not that it is that Swedish flag. Dang…

• Krogoth

It needs a yellow background. 😉

• Kaleid

Background, you mean “cross”?

• sweatshopking

see it in motion: [url<]http://www.istartedsomething.com/20120218/so-about-that-windows-8-logo/#videoupdate[/url<]

• ronch

I bet they spent hours tweaking that boring trapezoid. Sheesh!

• BobbinThreadbare

Hah, not only is it boring, but they can’t even scale it easily.

• can-a-tuna

Very good principles. I kinda like that new simplistic logo.

• esterhasz

me too.

sure, the TR visual context doesn’t help it here, but seen in isolation or combined with black text, it does quite well. I just hope that Win8 will follow up on the minimalism as well.

• Mourmain

Yeah, it took a while to grow on me, but I actually love it now. It sends the right message about the OS too: keep it simple, keep it functional, keep it fast.

• Anonymous Coward

I like their rejection of faux-realism.

• Meadows

I don’t, because Aero is nice.

• Geistbar

I like this quote:
    [quote<]During the brainstorming process, Pentagram raised a pointed question: "Your name is Windows. Why are you a flag?" [/quote<] I can just imagine everyone at a meeting kind of sheepishly looking around, waiting for someone else to say something. The new logo doesn't look so bad. It might be just a smidge too plain to really be useful on its own however- I'm not sure I'd see that trapezoid, regardless of what it's on, and immediately recognize it. Still, I like simple, so it seems to work overall.

• cynan

[i<]I can just imagine everyone at a meeting kind of sheepishly looking around, waiting for someone else to say something.[/i<] Perhaps something along the lines of "Did management really just spend all that consulting money hiring [i<]these[/i<] smart asses?" I agree. The logo looks fine. But so did that last one. Who cares? It's an emblem for an operating system. It's not like it's a building or a car or jewelery, or even a new design for a notebook or tablet on which the operating system will be run. Every once in a while you hear about companies with "too many resources" hiring design consultants. There's a good recent example in the photography world with Pentax. They got a world-renowned designer (Marc Newson) to design the body for their new interchangeable lens camera. Instead of producing something understated and functional looking (as with most other camera products in the range), they ended up with something reminiscent of a [url=http://www.dezeen.com/?p=190417<]Tonka Toy[/url<]... Was it worth the money? You tell me.

• crabjokeman

When asked why they’re a flag, I bet all the MS employees just got a blank look on their faces and went, “Whoaaaa..” like it was some sort of profound, mind-blowing concept (cue Bill and Ted jokes/Keanu Reeves joke).

• swaaye

Windows 1-Me, NT3-2k : clean, industrial
    Windows XP,Vista: homestyle whitebread
    Windows 7: translucent crystal palace
    Windows 8: fortress of solitude + bus station?

• Krogoth

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI3DlIrvoHg[/url<]

• chuckula

Peter Griffin has truly walked The Way of The Krogoth.

P.S. –> meh

• ew

Someone should have told Pentagram that Windows and windows are two very different things.

• ModernPrimitive

I don’t like it. But when the times comes for a new laptop, it will look way better on said laptop than a Windows 7 logo.

• chuckula

I just love over the top trendiness and copying. Remember back in 2001 when everything had to have an “X” in its name? Remember the box art from the 1990’s when everything had to have a picture in a small square surrounded by a huge border? Remember when everything had to be blue.. then silver.. then “aqua” then back to silver again.. etc. etc.

[quote<]Remember back in 2001 when everything had to have an "X" in its name.[/quote<] Careful there, you may be blaspheming AAPL by accusing [spoiler<]OS10[/spoiler<] of doing such a thing. edit: [strike] should be added 🙁

• Bensam123

Looks like they’re trying to be trendy, retro, with a bit of ‘throw back’ in the mix. It looks stupid and along the lines of what a actual window company uses for a logo. I’m not kidding you. Go to your local Menards or equivalent and look at their window section. This looks like a logo from a window company.

Stupid MS, like the kid that doesn’t fit in trying too hard to be trendy.

• Yeats

[quote<]This looks like a logo from a window company.[/quote<] I agree, it looks like a logo from a company that makes windows. Wait...

• dashbarron

Rumor mill was half right: the color was a lot darker and uglier. At least this is bright and happier.

Logos are a funny thing, they take a long time to implement and everyone dislikes them at first. In a few years everyone will have forgotten the old one…not including the people still using XP.

And it doesn’t look too bad. They obviously put a lot of though into this and it just wasn’t some spur of the moment decision. Kind of like the millions of dollars and 5 years of research that went into the Vista startup-sound.

• FranzVonPapen

Sweet, so now it’s a Swedish flag.

[i<][sub<]close enough[/sub<][/i<]

• dpaus

If this was Apple we’re talking about, the country of Sweden and every citizen would be sued for copyright infringement. Because it’s just Microsoft, they’ll only have to pay a royalty to keep using their flag.

• crabjokeman

If it was Apple, then a SWAT team of goons would invade their country.

• dpaus

You just [i<]know[/i<] that this thread is inevitably going to end up in a joke involving Swedish twins and 'you're holding it wrong'

• Mourmain

More like Negative Finnish.

• dpaus

As in ‘anti-Linux’?? Nahhhhhh…..

• wira020

Pentagram raised a pointed question: “your name is Windows. Why are you a flag?”

Pentagram must have failed geography.

• Arclight

What’s wrong with “looking like a flag”? Flags can be beautifull and i certainly liked the Windows 7 logo.

• BobbinThreadbare

So he says this icon has “motion.” To me it looks way more static than a flag flapping in the wind.

• DrDillyBar

Vector graphics FTW.

• lilbuddhaman

Look people, you can’t have “original coke” without “new coke”. This is “new coke”.

• Meadows

Whoa guys, whoa. Let’s face the facts, this isn’t bad, it serves a simple purpose.

If you really want to froth and rage at a logo, pick Pepsi for that. Ridiculous. [i<]They paid money to make it worse.[/i<] None of that is seen here.

• faramir

Is M$ getting this crap done by those Pentagram guys for free ? It looks so incredibly lame that I’d demand money for it if it was my product that they were screwing up with their “design”. Windows 3.1 logo looks like a masterpiece compared to this.

• christopher3393

This was my second thought. My first thought was “where’s the new logo? This can’t be it.”

• Vasilyfav

[quote<][i<]They paid money to make it worse[/i<]. None of that is seen here.[/quote<] Actually, that is exactly what is seen here.

• Meadows

How is it worse than before?

• phileasfogg

Maybe they were so enamored with Dan Brown’s interpretations of pentagrams after reading ‘the lost symbol’ that they hid something dark and devious in this new logo?

• BobbinThreadbare

It’s boring.

• Meadows

I don’t see how I was ever supposed to become aroused by the current logo.

• BobbinThreadbare

Are you frequently aroused by logos? You might want to get that checked out.

• Meadows

Learn to read.

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t understand what your point is. The opposite of boring is not sexy.

• Meadows

My point – if exaggerated – is that a [i<]logo in itself[/i<] is not meant to elicit any kind of emotion. The TR logo is also boring, a furry logo is boring, an insurance company logo is boring, etc., because it's an irrelevant quality.

• BobbinThreadbare

“a logo in itself is not meant to elicit any kind of emotion.”

Well I think you are patently wrong about that. If that was the case why did MS spend so much money having a design company work on this, and post a 3 paragraph blog post explaining what kind of emotions they meant to evoke?

• ronch

Your dear friend Krogoth is not impressed with the boring, barren, CHEAP new logo, and so are 99% of the world’s population.

• oldog

When thinking of logos I’m always reminded of the story of the Nike “swoosh”. It was created in 1971 by Carolyn Davidson while she was a student at Portland State University. She apparently made $35 for the design.

It is simple, elegant and instantly recognizable.

• atryus28

This does not seem elegant and certainly not recognizable as an OS logo. I guess any child drawing a house with a window and attempting to give it a bit of perspective by angling it, will now be sued for trademark infringement.

• maxxcool

bleh. no likey….

• PeterD

The Attack of the Trapezoids

• swaaye

I think my favorite is still….
    [i<]SiliconGraphics[/i<]

• dpaus

[url=http://www.sgi.faktor0.de/sgi-logo-256x256x32bit.png<]This one?[/url<] It's one of my all-time favourites too.

• swaaye

Yup. I tried to imitate the text. 😉

[url<]http://www.logotypes101.com/files/707/e5e932484e4c0be0443ba366bf590118/lrg_Silicon_Graphics.gif[/url<]

• lycium

either that or the sun logo

• squeeb

Yup, classic.

• SomeOtherGeek

Yep, I loved the fact that you can look at it two ways: 2D or 3D.

#2 I’m sure is a direct shot at Apple’s UI where everything is meant to look like its “analog” equivalent, down to the stitching on iCal and former brushed aluminum of Quicktime/Safari/Finder/iTunes.

• MixedPower

Two thoughts:

1. Microsoft’s creative team couldn’t come up with that simple of a logo on their own, and
    B. They had to hire an outside firm to tell them their old Windows logo wasn’t actually a window.

• ronch

I wonder how much Pentagram got paid for drawing this thing using Paint.

• ImSpartacus

MS paid for the “Zune” name. This is how they get new marketing ideas.

• dpaus

It’s very similar to the [url=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Greece_%281822-1978%29.svg<]traditional flag of Greece[/url<]. With the attendant symbology of an entity that's gotten a bit fat-n-lazy, I'm not sure that's the association they want, though.

• WhatMeWorry

Damn…..I was hoping for a “arrogant, yet insecure” logo.

• demani

That would be designed by the Kardashian clan…

• sweatshopking

OR ME!

• flip-mode

Logo is logo. Moving on…

• Yeats

Logo… I mith the turtle graphicth.

• Neutronbeam

It’s monochromatically Metrosexual!

• plasticplate

Meh, who cares. Its just a logo. Still waiting for the beta and am actually excited about it..

• Farting Bob

Thats terrible, unimaginative and completely forgettable.

Im not saying i could come up with the best logo of all time, but i can tell when a company spends millions to come up with a pile of crap.

• travbrad

[quote<]Thats terrible, [b<]unimaginative[/b<] and completely forgettable.[/quote<] Sounds like a perfect fit for Microsoft then.

• just brew it!

Yeah, my first reaction was, “They had to hire outside consultants… to come up with [i<]that[/i<]?" I wonder how many millions they paid.

• Anonymous Coward

You know who is really uncreative? [i<]Apple![/i<] Their logo is a damned monocromatic apple. Microsoft was gaining so much from a multicolored flag logo for a product named windows. Thats why they are a near monopoly.

• tootercomputer

I liked when Windows 7 was simply names “Windows 7”, and now the same with Windows 8. The design is nice and simple (goes well with the Intel logo at least color-wise), but drop the BS goals (it amazes me that there are people who get paid for that crap) and focus on making the Help menu in Windows 8 user-friendly and useful.

• GasBandit

This entire operating system and everything having to do with it is just such a big, bad joke.

• ew

The BS meter is almost off the charts with that quote. It’s right up in audiophile level BS territory.

• Visigoth

I agree. Plus, they had to hire a design agency to come up with that crap? A five year old would’ve done a more interesting job…what a waste.

• Johnny5

“humble, yet confident” reminds me of the simple, confident design of the Google logo.

• PeterD

It just looks like a monochrome trapezoid to me.

• atryus28

The quarter split does not remind you of classic windows? As in a house with windows. I get it, I just don’t care for it. I feel like we just jumped back into the 80’s. Not fond of much of the 80’s except for the Atari, Colecovision (with atari 2600 adapter), Nintendo and all. I have loved and enjoyed the constant upgrade in graphical fidelity we have gotten over the years. I don’t want to go back to the bland and boring.

• sweatshopking

ALL = any; any whatever; everything
          so…. you CLAIM you’re not a fan of the 80’s, but then say you like EVERYTHING IN IT: “Nintendo and all” YOU TRIED TO TRICK US. IT DIDN’T WORK.

plus, don’t forget, i was born in the 80’s. you have to love me too now!

• odizzido

bold and daring?

• phez

changing the logo of such a powerful and historic brand … recipe for disaster

• blastdoor

“Authentically Digital”

I respect that concept.

• Price0331

Me too, the use of metaphors has gotten out of hand on a lot of tech devices and software.

• chuckula

[quote<]Microsoft's in-house artists got help from design agency Pentagram to come up with the new emblem. [/quote<] Cue Satan Jokes in 3... 2... 1...

• codedivine

Deleted post, didnt read properly

• OneArmedScissor