Report: Eric Demers headed to Qualcomm

AMD graphics CTO Eric Demers left the company earlier this week to pursue opportunites elsewhere. According an “industry source close to the matter,” those opportunities are at Qualcomm. The two companies actually have a bit of a history. Qualcomm licensed AMD graphics technology back in 2007. A couple of years later, it bought up the assets from AMD’s handheld business. Qualcomm also signed on with GlobalFoundries, AMD’s former fabrication arm.

This report remains unconfirmed, but it makes a lot of sense. Although Qualcomm has largely focused on wireless technologies, its Snapdragon SoC can be found in a range of smartphones from the likes of HTC, Samsung, and LG. Snapdragon’s Adreno graphics core is based on the Imageon technology Qualcomm acquired from AMD, and it’s potent enough to power Sony’s PlayStation-certified Xperia Play. Snapdragon SoCs can also be found in a number of tablets, including the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9.

Despite the fact that Qualcomm is seemingly positioned to make a bigger play for tablets, AMD reportedly doesn’t view the company as a competitor. Interesting. AMD has made no secret of its plans to pursue an SoC-style approach to future products, and I can’t help but wonder if we’ll see the two companies working together. Thanks to TR reader Chris for the tip.

• sdghjyukty
    • --k

Geoff, good job on the background report.

• blastdoor

Gee, sounds like Qualcomm made a pretty smart move by just LICENSING ATI graphics technology rather than wasting $5 billion buying ATI.

• sschaem

Qualcomm is a 100 billion$ company now… not bad.
    and from reports sold over 100 million snapdragon SoC.

Kind of sad that Dirk Meyer sold the golden goose to them for only 65 million (The entire profitable mobile business: mobile GPU IP/Patents, staff and all contracts with Sony, Motorola, etc..) in 2009 to ‘finance’ his personal bulldozer agenda.

Qualcomm saved most likely over 635 millions so far by buying Adreno instead of licensing an imageon design…
    What was AMD thinking!!!!!
    (Plus they got some of the largest mobile contracts, and hundreds of patents, and a very, very experience staff in mobile GPU design)

Thats what happen when you let monkeys make strategics decisions.

• thermistor

I poked around teh internets a while. I think Qualcomm is about $10 Billion…still an enormous company, but dwarfed by Intel (who is still the 1000# gorilla of hardware). 100B would be bigger than MS, Apple, IBM…everyone but WalMart and ExxonMobil, I think.

• BestJinjo

Apple is the largest company in the world by market cap. $465 Billion (# of shares outstanding x Share price).

AMD: 5.17B
        Qualcomm: 105B

• WaltC

You are aware of the fact, I hope, that companies *do not own* their reported “market caps”? IE, that $465B you attribute to Apple does not belong to Apple. That’s why “market cap” is measurement used primarily by brokers to entice suckers to buy the stock who don’t know things like that–even when it was incredibly overpriced at $500 per share…;) Hence, how can you say, “By market cap, Apple is the largest company on earth” since Apple does not own 99.99% of that market cap?…;)

[url=http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2011/full_list/<]This is a much more convincing measurement.[/url<] By Fortune 500's actual-size rankings, WalMart is #1, Apple is #35. Again, "market cap" is a fantasy statistic coined by stock brokers that is designed exclusively for suckers and the less-mentally-adept among us...;)

• --k
    • Helmore

Funny ‘coincidence’ that Adreno is an anagram of Radeon.

• TaBoVilla

OMG, I never caught that before! great find!

• Yeats

I cracked up when I saw the first three posts were by My Johnson, Farting Bob and tooter. I’m finding the visuals to be nauseating…

the community around here is so grown up and mature.

• BobbinThreadbare

You’re moms mature

• cygnus1

Your face is mature

• tootercomputer

I cracked up when I saw the first two posts were by My Johnson and Farting Bob. I mean, the visuals . . .

• My Johnson

I called it! “He’s going mobile.”

• Farting Bob

Well done. Collect your $100,000 prize at your local walmart.

• chuckula