Alan Wake PC port pays for itself in 48 hours

The PC gets a bad rap as a gaming platform. Developers neglect it, console aficionados deride it, and publishers characterize it as an unprofitable pirate’s nest. Well, as it turns out, even a port of a nearly two-year-old title can make a buck on the platform—and then some.

GamesIndustry.biz reports that, only 48 hours after the release of Alan Wake for the PC, Remedy had already recouped the development and marketing costs associated the port. The game came out on February 16, and Remedy claims it hit the number-one top-seller spot on Steam immediately. (Right now, Alan Wake sits in the number-two spot behind Cities XL.) Remedy CEO Matias Myllyrinne had this to say:

We made it a priority to create the best PC version of the game we possibly could, as opposed to a sloppy port we ourselves would hate to play, and judging by the amount of encouragement and positive feedback that has been pouring in, that’s really paid off!

I’m sure the game’s low $29.99 asking price had something to do with its rapid uptake, but still—we’re talking about a game that’s been out on the Xbox 360 since May 2010. I’m going to keep this story handy next time a publisher postpones or cancels a PC release over purported worries about its bottom line. (Thanks to The Verge for the link.)

• kamikaziechameleon

FLIP, sorry but over a year later this port isn’t really worth my time. I could understand it getting attention a year ago but now its just a over priced relic. Maybe I’ll pick it up for 5 dollars.

• oldog

In a previous post I predicted that this game would bomb on the PC being a late port of a mediocre selling console game.

Humph… guess I was wrong.

• travbrad

See Call of Duty. Quality != sales

• yogibbear

Cities XL is only #1 due to the 75% off sale…. the impressive thing was that for a while Alan Wake was beating MW3 while it was on sale then MW3 clawed up to #1 and AW dropped to #2, but as soon as the sale ended, Alan Wake was #1 again.

• xeridea

Thanks for the info. I was looking at Cities XL about 6 months ago, but not worth $40 to a poor man when I can just play SC2 all day… or Crysis 2 I got on $10 Steam sale a while back. For $10 I will probably get it.

• l33t-g4m3r

“unprofitable pirate’s nest” Disinfo for the sole purpose of destroying the 2nd hand market with drm. PC owners know the difference between a resalable disk and a non-refundable steam credit, and only one of those is worth retail. You sell it on steam, it had better be cheap. Not like they’re subsidizing the hardware, which is the console excuse. Basically, if you make a reasonable game and sell it for a reasonable price, you’ll get guaranteed PC sales. Sell a crappy port for $60, you won’t get good sales and your customers will hate you. Common Sense.

• lilbuddhaman

(or make another CoD title)

• adam1378

i.e…Crysis 2 is prime example! Well it wasn’t a crappy port but it was like watching Blues Brothers 2000.

• kroker

[quote<]Disinfo for the sole purpose of destroying the 2nd hand market with drm[/quote<] +1 This is the one thing for which they have no excuse other than pure greed. I also think they are hurting the whole gaming market with this. They're not making productivity software here, you don't have anything to gain from games (and movies and music also) other than enjoyment, sometimes not even that. Not everyone thinks this is worth full price ($60 or whatever it may be), but those who do think it's worth it and are willing to pay that money would have even more money to spend on games if they could sell the games they don't want to play anymore.

I wonder which sold better: the 360 version or the PC version? And I’m not knocking on either platform here; the 360 version was a sales disappointment, as it barely made the top 10 in May 2010 and fell off completely in June.

[url<]http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_May_2010[/url<] [url<]http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_June_2010[/url<] That basically means it sold well under 250k copies in its first 2 months. It would not surprise me if the PC version has sold close to that already.

• HisDivineOrder

It was a sales disappointment around its launch when it was against Red Dead Redemption, Split/Second, ModNation Racers, and with Blur coming not long after.

Against RDR alone, I think Alan Wake was doomed. Blur vs S/S destroyed both developers, let alone franchises, let alone games. I imagine Remedy should just be glad they didn’t go out of business given what happened to most of the developers who were releasing big titles around the RDR Event.

All that said, Alan Wake got its exposure. It was given away for Christmas that year as part of the Christmas bundle and on sale for low, low prices ever since. I’m surprised the PC version sold for so much, but then… perhaps it was all those years of waiting on the PC version finally getting to the people who had waited.

I’m waiting on a Steam sale. Game’s not worth more than $7.50 at this point.

• danny e.

console aficionados? is that like walmart aficionados? don’t get me wrong, I shop walmart.. but you know I don’t love it.

I quit shopping at wal-mart. The customer base makes the “every day low prices” not worth the effort.

• Yeats

Not a fan of the sweatpants and stained t-shirt crowd?

• l33t-g4m3r

[url<]http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/[/url<]

• Yeats

lol

Crowd is the operative word. I can wear sweatpants and stained t-shirts with the best of them but when they’re packed in so densely it’s rarely worthwhile.

• Yeats

My closest Walmart is something like 150k sq ft, and not in a high-population area by NJ standards, so there isn’t much of a crowding issue. Not many “people of walmart” types, either.

• plonk420

i will gladly shop at a Target instead of Walmart if they’re open at 10:30-11pm when i get off work (because screw the daytime crowds and arsehat drivers). Kroger/King Soopers when i need good meat/fruit/vegetables. Sunflower when i need an AWESOME meat department.

woo. dat name dropping…

• Arclight

Imo this doesn’t send the right message. It rather means for them that it’s OK to make the PC version much, much later after they launch the game on consoles….Also $30 for a 2 year old game? If it was a game like SC 2 i’d understand, but a console port like Allan Late? What a ripoff.

• swaaye

I don’t agree with Blizzard being so awesome that they can charge full price for years, but hey I don’t play their games so maybe that’s why I feel that way…

Alan Wake has some obvious appeal for people who like Max Payne. It’s very reminiscent of those games, and it even comes from Remedy. Microsoft’s 360 exclusivity nonsense/evil strategy did suck but I think a good amount of PC gamers were looking forward to the game and probably didn’t play it on 360.

• Arclight

Look up SC 2 tournaments and check how often Blizzard updates and makes ballance tweaks for the multiplayer aspect of the game. Look up custom maps, map editor, etc….I’d say it’s well worth it, unlike a 2 year old console port with little to no replay-ability value.

• swaaye

As I said, SC2 has no value to me at all because I’m not interested in the game. I’m also not planning on dropping $500 for all of the Train Simulator addons for the same reason lol.

It sounds like you just aren’t a fan of this genre. I’m not saying Alan Wake is a flawless gem (it’s not exactly mind blowingly innovative), but just because you aren’t interested doesn’t mean other people aren’t. Can you wrap your head around that?

I’m also not sure why you stress multiplatform as a terrible negative. What does it really matter? They’ve added visuals. The controls work just like Max Payne, essentially. Get over that too. There are brand new games that cost more, look and play worse.

• Arclight

Say what you will about Starcraft, but just because you’re not interested didn’t stop South Korea from making it a national sport. Not to mention the millions of fans and professional gamers from all over the world.

Indeed. In that way it has lasting high value. I’m still playing it more than I play anything else, and I got in on the pre-release beta…been playing quite a while.

• shank15217

blizzard is da shit.. deal with it

• swaaye

Yeah they know how to leverage the masses exceptionally well. I’m jealous of that. 😉

• kalelovil

Supreme Commander 2 was a terrible game 😉

There is only one SC2 and it’s not SupCom2. :p

Well, they released it initially at $60 on the XBox, and $30 is the current console price if you buy the digital download from Microsoft. I won’t complain about $30, but I would be with you complaining about any more than that.

• Arclight

But, but console games always costed more, afaik, than PC games. I would take BF 3 as an example. In my country it costs way less than the xbox and PS3 versions.

In your country, maybe, but in the US all versions of BF3 launched at $60. That’s pretty much true for all big EA and Activision releases going back to Modern Warfare 2.

• wira020

It also includes DLCs.

• yogibbear

MS were the ones that cancelled the PC release and forced exclusivity on RMD. RMD then only renegotiated the ability to self publish the PC version recently. The good sales are actually sending the right message as they are saying to MS, “HAHA! Look at all the sales you aren’t making profit off!”

• Arclight

I did not get that from this article, nor did i knew this information prior to posting. Indeed that does changes the situation, i can see i was wrong to make the comment i did earlier.

• End User

The message that it sends is that they could have had all that money two years ago if they had released it at the same time as the original.

$50-60 would have been a slap in the face. $30 is a fair price. Making it available on steam: priceless.

• ModernPrimitive

Most ports would take an extra 48 hours if they were done half properly….. it’s going to be really fun when console AND PC gamers have to live with Android and iOS ports ! 😛

• sweatshopking

yeah, that’ll be horrible. it’s coming though….

It’s already here. Angry Birds on the Mac App store and Intel AppUp wtfever that is.

• entropy13

There’s already a PC version of Angry Birds.

And it actually plays better since mouse and cursor > touchscreen interface and finger

• ludi

Without a touchscreen control, Angry Birds is just another among ten thousand variants of a classic Tank Game.