Ice Cream Sandwich update trickling out to original Transformer tablets

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream… sandwich, that is. In a post on its Facebook page, Asus has announced that Ice Cream Sandwich, otherwise known as Android 4.0, has begun spreading to the original Transformer tablet via an over-the-air update. The update is hitting Taiwan first and is due to arrive in other regions “soon after.” Commenters in Hong Kong and Singapore claim to have received the update already. My own Transformer waits patiently.

Well, it’s waiting patiently—I’m not. I’ve already checked for the new firmware manually and scoured Asus’ site for a downloadable version. No such luck.

After playing with ICS on the Transformer Prime for more than a month now, I’m eager to see how the new OS fares on the old Transformer. There are still a few teething issues on the Prime, but ICS does feel noticeably smoother. The browser seems quicker, too, although it has a tendency to hang for a few seconds here and there. Asus says it’s working on a fix for that particular issue.

I’ve said this before, but it merits repeating: Asus seems to be doing a good job of supporting its Transformer tablets with timely software updates. The Prime has had ICS since January, and it’s received several firmware updates since. The original Transformer is also getting its Android update ahead of a number of other devices. With an unlocked bootloader now available for the Prime, as well, Asus looks like the most enthusiast-friendly tablet maker around.

• Darkmage

I snagged the update Friday at about 6pm EST. So far, it’s smooth sailing.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Finally. Some nice new features… omg, real time spell check that doesn’t glitch out the keyboard?? Ahem… some nice new features have been added, and the keyboard lag is much better. Still there, but not nearly as annoying. I really like the task manager and quick settings. Everything is noticeably smoother, so much so that I did away with my home replacement app. There’s a lot more to the settings menu, and although I will probably never use them, the dev settings are a nice touch.

Still not an iPad, but this is a solid step in the right direction.

• Rageypoo

The words “asus” “support” and “good job” are hardly ever found in the same sentence.

• ImSpartacus

ICS tastes wonderful on my TF101. Got the update in Ohio when I woke up.

• Welch

Enjoying ICS on my Xoom :)… still wish I had a Transformer Prime. Got my hands on one of them this weekend and man what a difference.

• Phydoux

Would love to hear what you like on the Prime over your Xoom. I have been wanting to buy a tablet and thought I wanted a Prime for a while, but I’ve read a lot of negatives about poor WiFi signal, non-functional GPS, light bleeding on the screen, etc. I have been considering a Xoom instead since it has an official ICS release.

• Jigar

My optimus 2X still awaits 🙁

• Prestige Worldwide

Samesies.

• alphacheez

I felt the need to log in on my HP Touchpad running Cyanogen Mod 9 Alpha2 (the ICS version that supports Netflix on the Touchpad) to post this comment. Granted, it was not totally simple to get it installed, but once I got over my own stupidity it was fairly straightforward. I do have to run something called “FXR wifi fix” so the wifi plays nice with my router, but there aren’t too many other issues.

It’s interesting to be able to run something other than WebOS on here and having access to the Android market is pretty great. I find myself missing the gestures of WebOS, but the memory management and Chrome Beta browser are much better in ICS. A lot of little things that were annoying in WebOS have been thought through more thoroughly in ICS like interacting with zoomed out web elements. It seems to auto zoom if it senses you click two elements close together so you can easily select the proper element.

Edit: So now the latest update to the Chrome Beta doesn’t work on custom ROMs so I’ve had to download the apk for the original to keep it working. Not sure why Google feels the need to shoot itself in the foot like this.

If this is a sign of the level of frustration I’ll be dealing with going forward I’ll just go back to booting into WebOS. One of my main frustrations with WebOS though is that TechReport pages are not displayed properly in that the font always looks too small. I find this slightly strange since Geoff either his or had a Palm Pre. I don’t know how often he’d browse TR on it but it seems like a strange oversight.

The other main benefit with Android is working Netflix, not sure it’s worth the craziness though.

• ALiLPinkMonster

*stares at tablet in anticipation*

EDIT: ……………………………………..

• glacius555

Mulder, I miss you.. 🙂

• khands

Still waiting for Motorola to get their ass in gear :/

• BobbinThreadbare

I’m still holding out hope they’ll backport it to the Droid 2, it can’t be that much work right?

• Corrado

Here’s motorola’s list. Looks like you’re out of luck with a Droid 2.

[url<]http://ibnlive.in.com/news/motorola-rolls-out-ics-update-schedule/230865-11.html[/url<] Looks like a lot of them will get 4.0 just in time for 4.1/4.whatever the next update is.

• BobbinThreadbare

C’est la vie

• willmore

Would that be 5.0 JellyBean?

• Corrado

No idea. I guess it depends on if they make a 4.1/4.2/4.3 like they did with Froyo and GB.

• krazyredboy

Maybe…sherbert…

*sherbet
            [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbet#American_terminology[/url<]

• BKA

Right, my Atrix 2 doesn’t get it until Q3. No biggie I guess.

• NeelyCam

Atrix in Q3/2012?!? G*ddammit… I’ll probably have a Medfield-based Motorola phone by then…

• burntham77

Christ, I might have an option to buy a Windows 8 tablet before my Xoom 4G gets the ICS update. Which I am seriously considering, if Windows 8 tablets are anywhere near as great as WP7.5.

• sweatshopking