Max Payne 3 PC to have ‘gloriously increased’ detail

Something amazing may be about to happen: a PC release will have enhanced graphics but won’t be delayed til six months after the console version comes out. Rockstar Games has posted the first screenshots of Max Payne 3 PC, and it’s promising “gloriously increased resolution and graphical detail” for PC gamers.

Rockstar doesn’t go into specifics, but it does say the graphical improvements will be visible in “both the epic story and the explosive multiplayer modes.” Also, it adds that “more detailed information including special graphics hardware support and enhancements” will be revealed alongside minimum system requirements soon. That “soon” should be anytime before the game’s May 29 release (or June 1 if you live in Europe).

By the looks of those screenshots, which we’ve included in the gallery below, we can look forward to at least high-resolution character textures. Better shader effects would be nice, too, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

• DarkUltra

High resolution textures, shaders and tesselation, excellent! But don’t forget physics and scene interaction!

• yogibbear

If the install procedure turns into a… install GfWL, install Rockstar Social Club, install game, download social club patch, login to social club, login to GfWL, register CD-key on GfWL, download patch on GfWL, restart PC, login to Rockstar Social Club, login to GfWL, start game, < 20 fps slideshow with textures poppin’ in left right and centre and task manager telling me my cpu is using 1 core and 50% utilization and my gpu is at 40% utilization ala GTAIV on release day then I don’t care how good a screenshot looks.

This.

• indeego

Or you buy it a year later, I had one GFWL patch, and was playing the game fine, and never bothered by it again.

• Silus

LOL +1 🙂

• HisDivineOrder

I thought this was going to be about Max Payne 3. All I see is another Rockstar action game, but it’s certainly NOT a Max Payne game. I mean, look, there’s no Max Payne. He’s not in a film noir style. He doesn’t look constipated. He looks like he’s quite regular, actually.

I think this is actually Rockstar Presents Breaking Bad. I think they’ve had it going under the name of Max Payne for all these years so it’ll be a surprise.

Then you buy it and you install it and as the game starts, Max Payne 3 fades into Breaking Bad: The Game. Then you have a monologue from Walt and you begin your adventure. In signing the EULA, you agree not to spoil the secret for anyone else or else you forfeit your soul and all your earthly possessions.

So… shhh, mum’s the word.

• moog

Where’s the tesselation?

The zipper and the flak jacket and the hawaiian shirt all look flat. Good textures only gets you so far but Toy Story 1 still looks better than today’s gfx.

• Meadows

It actually does not, except for polygon count maybe. There are several things Toy Story 1 did not do/show at the time of production.

• indeego

You should have told them in 1995 what they could have done better.

• Meadows

Thumbs down for being irrelevant. The quality is spotless considering the year, but if then Random Forumgoer goes and says “blahdy blah, Toy Story 1 still looks better than everything ever”, then today I have reasons to disagree.

• Krogoth

I want gameplay that is fun and memorable.

I had enough of the tech demo BS.

• Duck

I agree!

Other grumpy and jaded people, get in here.

I’m old and grumpy! Where’s my afternoon tea?

• nanoflower

Without good game play what is the point? Let’s hope they didn’t forget that when working on all of the graphical candy.

Get off of my lawn!

• Yeats

+1 to you & Krogoth, I agree.

I’m also tired of overdone skin textures.

• Thatguy

I couldn’t agree more.

• wierdo

[url<]https://techreport.com/r.x/2012_2_23_Max_Payne_3_PC_to_have_gloriously_increased_detail/RSG_MP3_PC_011.jpg[/url<] They gotta do something about those leaves, kinda distracting vs the nicely rendered character.

• ultima_trev

Holy $hit!

I had no idea Heisenberg was a Max Payne character!

• Compton

I was just about to say the same thing. Bryan Cranston is starring in Max Payne 3?

• SPOOFE

We COOK!

• HisDivineOrder

“You clearly don’t know who you’re talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!”

• Compton

Ha Ha Ha

I love that show.

Hurrah.

It’s not hard: All the artwork will have been created from high-res sources anyway. The trick is to NOT release the PC version with the nasty downsampled textures meant for consoles. I’ve been in game studios, I know that the artwork doesn’t start life as the low-poly, low-resolution junk.

It’s similar for polygon counts and model complexity. You build your model the way you want it to look, and then reduce complexity either manually or with 3DS Max plugins. Again, save the high polycount model for those people with real graphics cards and let the world see more of the work that’s gone into the player/environment models.

• Welch

Hell yea! I think the reason the majority of them do it is due to exclusive rights for a set period of time. If they provide something to PC gamers that console gamers don’t get from the start, the console guys will whine about it and the console companies lose money. Skyrim is a good example… Xbox gets the DLC for 6 months before PC. Oh well I’ll take the high res pack (finally) and mods any day.

Your right though, everything starts as a high-res texture anyhow. Too many developers having to play dumb and act like it took tons of work to make the high-res available to consumers.

• lilbuddhaman

Glorious Master PC Race.

p.s. minuses are just darkside points !

• Derfer

Those screens look exactly like every other console port. The shirt and skin got me for a moment but after looking at the full res it’s muddy textures everywhere. Reminds me of JC2.

Some people are never satisfied. The textures are much higher-res than any console. I personally think it looks pretty good.

• plasticplate

U kiddin me? Those may not be as good as BF3 or the High res textures of Crysis 2, But i would say they are a quite a bit more detailed than consoles can manage. Now, i dont know if the game is going to be any good or if the graphics are going to be great, but we have to at least appreciate rockstar for what its doing. I think every PC gamer should appreciate this.

• Duck

How am I supposed to appreciate yet another console port?

There’s a lot more to it than the resolution of the textures. I am insulted that they think they can just claim increased detail as if that’s enough to totally mask the stench of console port.

True. Just because it’s not delayed doesn’t mean it’s not heavily suffering from consolitis.

Delayed PC ports is a fairly recent problem, and I’m glad that Rockstar isn’t using that as an excuse to delay this too, but long before delayed releases was an issue, gameplay was castrated and games had their interfaces butchered to make them gamepad compatible. Oblivion springs to mind, as Does Deus Ex 2 (Invisible War)

• plasticplate

Dude, u have to stop living in the past. More people game on consoles than PC right now and majority of the games will be made for consoles first and then be ported to PC. I hate it as much as any other PC gamer since i have been gaming on the PC since i was a kid (since ’95), but thats the truth. Now would u rather have a simple console port or one that has some upgrades made to it even though they may not utilize the full capabilities of current gaming hardware? I would definately like something like Crysis or Battlefield 3 which were developed primarily for the PC, but next to them an upgraded console port releasing on the same day is much better than a simple console port which comes half a year after the console version. Something similar to glass half full.

• Firestarter

The xbox 360 was released 6 years, 3 months and 2 days ago. I’d say it’s the console gamers who are gaming in the past, not PC gamers.

• plasticplate

What exactly does this have to do with the discussion we were having. just SPAM!

• wingless

I think game devs are finally getting that they need to pimp out the PC version with detail and when they do, we buy.

Good job game industry! Keep this s*** up or else…