Deal of the week: Games, games, games

Solid hardware deals seem scarcer than usual this week, but there are plenty of game download deals to make up for that—especially at Amazon.

Let’s see… right now, the e-tailer is selling Deus Ex: Human Revolution for $10.19 and The Darkness II for $24.99. The former has been out for longer than the latter, but they’re both good games, and they’re more than worth the money at those prices.

Next up is the Rockstar Classics collection, which includes Bully, GTA: San Andreas, GTA: Vice City, Max Payne 2, and Midnight Club 2, all for only $14.99. That’s about 45 bucks off the normal list price for some excellent classic games.

And last, but not least, Amazon is running a Farewell to February sale with more discounted games than I can list here (95 in total, spread out across five pages). I can see The Witcher 2 for $14.99, Mirror’s Edge for $4.99, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood for $7.49, but there are many, many more.

Our Canadian friends can’t partake in these deals, unfortunately. They can, however, peruse NCIX’s Sensational Savings Event. I’m seeing a handful of deals on hard drives and solid-state drives, like Seagate’s Barracuda LP 2TB for $109.99 and Kingston’s SSDNow V200 128GB for $125.99. Not bad at all.

• travbrad

Gonna try out that Heist game. Looks like some fun co-op for $5. Thanks for the link 🙂

• mcnabney

I tried buying the The Witcher 2, downloaded it twice (all 16GB of it) and I get CRC errors during installation. The CRC bug is a known bug related to problems that some DVD drives have in reading the physical media, but this was a DOWNLOAD. I am suspecting that the actual hosted file at Amazon was loaded from a disk that had this issue – making everyone that downloads it experience the dealbreakers bugs during installation.

Amazon has nothing on Steam

• BobbinThreadbare

The steam version of The Witcher 2 also had some problems with it’s self patcher and steam trying to update it. I had to run in steam in administrator mode to get it to work. So you might be having a similar problem. Try disabling UAC and see if that helps.

• mcnabney

Tried. Failed at same point. They are refunding my money. I assume it is my punishment for not sticking with Steam.

• dpaus

[quote<]Our Canadian friends can't partake in these deals, unfortunately[/quote<] Oh, yes we can! We just go to [url=http://hotspotshield.com/lp/access_hulu_aw/?gclid=CKvLmpPWz60CFUbCKgod1BWxkw<]HotSpot Shield[/url<] and/or [url=http://www.usunlocked.com/<]US Unlocked[/url<], sign up, and then shop to our Great White Heart's content 🙂 EDIT: oops, forgot to also mention [url=http://strongvpn.com/<]StrongVPN[/url<] which does the same thing as HotSpot Shield, except that a) it costs $8/month, and b) doesn't annoy with ads (HotSpot Shield is free to users, but is ad-supported)

• skitzo_zac

Not only can Canadians partake, but I just bought Deus Ex on Amazon from Australia!

I was contemplating picking it up in the current Steam sale, but us Aussies are getting shafted there. $23.79 USD vs $10.19 on the US Steam page.

Just completed the transaction and popped the CD key into Steam and it’s downloading right now.

• dpaus

Good for you, and sorry, I should have made it clearer that HotSpot and US Unlocked can be used by anyone with internet access. It was just that Cyril specifically mentioned Canadians, and I was quoting him.

Now, go sign up for Hulu and enjoy some fine television content 🙂

• skitzo_zac

I didn’t use either of those sites/services actually.

I have a US address (http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/ ) saved on my Amazon account and used my normal Australian debit card. Unlike Steam, Amazon doesn’t seem to mind the combination of a fake US name and address in combination with my real Australian name and address on my debit card.

• wira020

Hotspot shield used to work fine for me few years ago. Now it just cripple my internet speed like crazy and doesnt actually let me view region locked stuffs. But maybe this is cause I’m from Malaysia.

• lilbuddhaman

Saints Row 3 is a great gta clone, doesn’t take itself seriously, have a bunch of casual fun stuff to do.

• wingless

ALL OF YOU! Buy The Witcher 2 asap. You will not regret it at all. AT ALL!

Also FYI, Deus Ex: HR is on sale on Steam for the same price right now.

• Duck

The Witcher was boring and dreary. Why buy The Witcher 2?

• lilbuddhaman

Its exciting and dreary…and extremely beautiful.

• PrincipalSkinner

Yes master.

• JohnC

Yes! “Witcher 2” was VERY good game, I was really surprised by it considering I never finished the first “Witcher”.

• BobbinThreadbare

The trick to The Witcher is that you can skip most of the really boring “gather 7 hides” quests and not really have a problem.

• burntham77

Both games are excellent purchases. I advise playing Deus Ex as a stealthy, non-lethal character to fully appreciate the depth of the game play. And The Witcher 2 is just a very unique experience.

• wira020

I dont like playing stealth in games but Deus Ex:HR really did well with their stealth implementation. The witcher 2 was great. It was very pretty, good gameplay, good storyline and creative.

• JohnC

Non-stealthy ways can be just as fun, especially when you are capable of hacking and carrying teh turrets (too bad there’s not enough of them and you can’t carry them everywhere). Also, fully upgraded Typhoon Explosive System = best augmentation in teh game 😛

• Turiel

I love the prices at Amazon, especially their games… I even preferred it over Newegg for a lot of my hardware since they were cheaper. O.o

• phileasfogg

I also noticed that ‘Trine’ is on sale @ Amazon at a throwaway price of $1.24. (yes, really!). I suppose Frozenbyte wants people to get hooked on Trine so that they’ll pay full price for Trine-2 (released in Dec 2011). Good strategy, IMHO.

• indeego

Paid less during an indy sale and dumped it halfway through. Did it get better after the repetitive first half?