Apple sets iPad 3 launch for March 7

Putting an end to months of tireless speculation, Apple announced the launch date for its next iPad yesterday. And, from what we can tell, the invite confirms what we heard about the device: it will indeed have a high-DPI display.

The iPad 3 launch event has been set for 10 AM Pacific on March 7, according to The Verge. The invite Apple sent to the press shows a finger hovering over the iOS calendar icon on an iPad-like display—which, of course, looks sharper than the iPad 2’s 1024×768 panel. The caption underneath says, "We have something you really have to see. And touch."

That doesn’t leave much to the imagination, now, does it?

All I hope is that there’s no truth to that rumor about Apple pricing the iPad 3 at a premium. On Monday, MacRumors cited an "unverified story" from a Chinese blog that said Apple would charge $579 for the device. Apple may be the first out of the gate with a high-DPI tablet, but $579 would be a little hefty for a 16GB model without cellular connectivity.

• HisDivineOrder

Apple uses rumors and whispers to its advantage. It creates rumors that it needs to exist. They want people to wait for things that may or may not show up in their products, but they’ll rumor they’re coming to work people up into a frenzy for the new product regardless.

That said, I think Apple has good reason to make a rumor that the iPad will show up at $579. That way, when it’s less (even if it’s still “just” $499), everyone’ll go, “Well it could be worse. It COULD have been $579!” And they’ll think they got a deal.

Whereas if no rumor existed that the device would go above $499, then you’d have people showing up and going, “No price drop? Apple, everyone else is lowering prices, Asus is dropping a Tegra 3 device for $250 and you’re over there staying put at $500? You suck.”

Rumormills give Apple the power to control people’s expectations. Jobs 101.

• A_Pickle

[quote<]Apple may be the first out of the gate with a high-DPI tablet, but $579 would be a little hefty for a 16GB model without cellular connectivity.[/quote<] Didn't... ASUS just release a 10.1" tablet with a 1920x1080 display? Yeah, I guess it's not "high DPI" if Apple doesn't do it first.

• dpaus

I hope Apples sues those cheap copycats!

• ImSpartacus

It’s not out yet, and it won’t be for a while. We won’t see mass production of high density LCDs until late this year. Yields have been bad.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple announced a pretty late release date. Even Asian slave labor can’t beat physics.

• jpostel

I think you may have confused “release” with “announce”. ASUS announced a new 10.1in 1920×1200 Transformer, but neither pricing nor availability are confirmed yet. Whoever delivers to customers first gets the coveted Cyril Kawalski “First Out of the Gate” prize. I assume it is something like “first post”, but I am not really sure.

High-DPI (I think Cyril was actually referring to pixels per inch or PPI, but people often use them interchangeably) is another thing altogether. There are many reviews that admit you can’t tell the difference between a Super AMOLED on one of the the Nexus phones and an iPhone 4 during normal use, but abnormal use (close up viewing) is where you see it. Apple really did raise the bar with the iPhone 4 display, and the rumor mill has the iPad 3 display at 9.7in 2048×1536. We will all find out in a week.

And no, I don’t own an iPad. I actually have an HP TouchPad

• TakinYourPoints

Asus hasn’t released it, they’ve only announced it, and 2048×1536 is a bit higher res than 1920×1080.

This is before we get to the fact that the Asus uses hardware that is barely competitive with an iPad 2 from nearly a year ago.

• trackerben

In the next few months, many people all over the world will be willing to put more of their time and money on the upcoming iPad model than on other, similarly-priced electronic or personal goods.

This is the likely scenario based on historical data and upcoming events. It’s not that most consumers are clueless, it’s that Apple’s competitors are.

• Silus

No, most consumers are clueless. Apple competitors may also be, but the majority of the consumers are extremely clueless. It’s a status thing. Apple sells a brand for years now and that’s what people get. They have no idea if they are getting the best for their money or not, they just want an iPhone or iPad because they were told by Apple or by someone that was told by Apple’s marketing, that it was the best and they believe it.

• Deanjo

That’s what the haters want you to think. When in reality the reason for the Apple products popularity is because they do refine their product, they do have the 3rd party support and they do have an ecosystem that works well for pretty much every average consumer out there. Even the educated ones out there purchase Apple products as well because they do enjoy that extra support that their competitors don’t offer.

• ImSpartacus

Too true. Computers have become appliances.

These “appliances” aren’t necessarily advanced, but they are built to last and they work consistently. Consumers would prefer to consistently get a smaller amount of utility in the form of an admittedly limited Apple product than inconsistently get a slightly larger amount of utility in a competitor’s product.

And yes, just like the color of your [url=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n8-N2dYOXK8/TjTdT3EmXZI/AAAAAAAAFgA/meUdWTYtv0w/s1600/KitchenAid+mixers+in+rainbow+order.png<]kitchen mixer[/url<] matters, the looks of your computing appliance matter as well. But it's mostly about consistently and ease of use. We're humans, we like to be able to rely on things working the same way. Nobody but Apple seems to get that.

• Silus

And that right there is a bunch of BS. As if no one but Apple made products that worked for the purpose that they were built for. And that’s precisely why there’s the idea of Apple brainwashing people with their viral marketing. “It just works” or some crap like that when in fact it doesn’t work or has the same problems as everyone else has. It’s hardware/software and they will have defects/bugs.

The difference is that any problem with any non-Apple product, will be met with the necessary criticism and hold-before-buy in the future. While with Apple, there’s just a bunch of apologies about why the problem happened from the fans themselves or the complete lack of acknowledgement of the problem by both the fans and the company, the “You’re holding it wrong” hilarity being the most glaring of recent times. No other company gets to say that their own problem in designing a phone, was actually the problem of the consumer that payed 700 dollars for it…and get away with it!

If ANY other company or CEO of a company other than Apple responded like that to any consumer, you can bet that there would major uproar and backlash for that company. Since it’s Apple, they are never wrong and the incorrect placement of the antenna by Apple, was actually a problem that the consumer should fix, by holding the phone in a different way than he/she ever did…

• trackerben

I’ve never heard from Apple persons any claim that their company or products are perfect. Or that they are never wrong, although that characterization of the company appears to be yours. What is the basis for your claim that people never hold them wrong? They are known to have a humongous support and warranty operation. It wouldn’t be there if customers weren’t encountering product and warranty issues. And there would be more outspoken, disgruntled Apple customers if the company were not satisfying the needs of most of them.

If their product design or quality isn’t that much better and yet they appear so impeccable, it’s likely due more to superior business model or execution than some outlier explanation like mass “brainwashing” messaging. You may be assuming cultural malpractice and ignoring strategic competence.

Perhaps the secret is in in their well-resourced retail stores. Just the presence of many well-versed people on floor duty indicates to customers that Apple is a responsive company. The high level of American staffing at their points of contact shows that they are a serious one. That cultural facing is a quality of its own, it impacts product quality impressions,and in the end it relates to their continuing ability to defend their market propositions.

• Cuhulin

I’ve used IOS and Android, and I chose IOS because, for me, it had more functionality.

I can see advantages in Android — third party on-screen keyboards or swype input, for example — but the integration with my windows based computer work is much better with IOS.

It simply isn’t correct to criticize consumers who choose Apple. Both systems have their advantages.

• Silus

I couldn’t care less what the haters want me to think. Actually many in here already consider me a hater.
          I do care about user experience and Apple products do not provide the best one at all. Given that I’ve used iPhones on a regular basis, I can in fact say that it’s not better than anything else I’ve tried, be it Windows Phone or Android. So to me this “refinement” does not exist at all.
          I’m not saying that others won’t see said refinement…but I certainly don’t. Thus I question why is it better ? There’s not a single person I know that owns an iPhone that can pinpoint why is it better than anything else. They just say it’s better. Oddly enough they ask how can they do what I do with my Android phone, to which I can only say “You can’t, because Apple doesn’t let you”.

• Beelzebubba9

My 2.5 year old iPhone 3GS is running a factor supported install of the latest OS. Find me one android phone from that era running ICS from the manufacturer and you’ll have my respect. 🙂

I don’t understand people’s fixation on the ‘best’ when it comes to devices with complex usage models and metrics. When your rubric of value is two dimensional within a given price range, like a videocard or CPU is, then it’s easy to rank products. But for cellphones that can’t be judged so simply (see Microsoft’s WP7.5 promption where they demonstrated how their phones were faster without involving a CPU benchmark OH MY as an example), why do people try and pretend that the product they own is universally superior? Or that somehow an objectively limted experience with a device they’ve previously disregarded gives them the authority to pass judgement on a vast market with incredible variation in usage and lifestyle?

It’s just a phone. If some fool with an iPhone thinks he’s better than you because of his iDevice, admire the smallness if his world, smile, nod, and move on.

• crsh1976

It’s interesting to note that Android tablets have finally stepped up and provide an interesting alternative – something that was not easily said just a year ago when I bought my iPad 2.

It still works well enough for me tho, no need to sell it in order to get the latest model – I’m sure plenty will go out of their way to get one, good for them.

• allreadydead

As any apple mobile product, it’s like tradition that it becomes nearly finished product in 3rd generation and become good at 4th.

Wait for iPad4 and know that iPad4S will be non-different…

• dashbarron

I’m not sure why a decently informed consumer would. There’s so much interesting competition out there or releasing this year that it would seem foolish not to wait a month or two and see what pops out.

• Silus

An Apple fanatic has no brain, so logic doesn’t stand in their way.

• TakinYourPoints

There is little pointing a well informed consumer using logic towards Android tablets.

The platform has fewer developers and applications, slower hardware (the newest Tegra 3 isn’t competitive with an iPad 2 from a year ago), and not much cost savings if any with a 10″ tablet. The hardware speed issue will be an even bigger problem when the new iPads are launched in a few weeks.

You used the word “fanatic”, so I know you’re not coming from a place of logic, but put your irrational feelings aside and it is pretty objectively apparent that everyone else has fundamental disadvantages (namely developer support and hardware speed) to overcome. If someone else can come out with a fast, widely supported and unified platform for developers, they will be competitive. Android doesn’t have that right now. I suppose its cool if you want to customize your home screen though.

• BIF

I agree, there is interesting competition out there.

But “decently informed” consumers can and will decide for themselves. And for somebody like me, the available apps is a big deal.

I’ve found some cool stuff in the Android marketplace, but the marketplace is a lot like the Star Wars Cantina. A lot of it is very slimy, hairy, or scaley, much of it doesn’t do what I need, and there’s a huge pile of junk in there too.

So as a “decently informed” consumer, I’ve decided to try something new.

• Deanjo

[quote<]but $579 would be a little hefty for a 16GB model without cellular connectivity.[/quote<] The base model is supposed to come with 32 GB.

Cyril,

“All I hope is that there’s no truth to that rumor about Apple pricing the iPad 3 at a premium.”

Apple ALWAYS charged a premium for their devices, so that their fanatics could have the pleasure of having a chewed Apple on the back of what they just bought…so I don’t see why you should expect them not to do what they’ve always done.

• BIF

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing!

I predict that the 32 GB version will be $800 and the 64 GB version will be $1600, an arm, a leg, and “take a number and we’ll get back to you in August.”

While I agree, I think he means he hopes it’s not more than the existing iPads.

• Decelerate

Odd, because the first ipad went unchallenged because the competition couldn’t undercut said premium.

A couple of years later, roughly the same thing is happening with the ultrabook/mba competition. Yes they’re cheaper, but only a very few manage to pull it off without noticeably cheapening quality, and even then, the genre is being dulled out by the masses of crappy ones.

Apple’s strategy isn’t incredibly special. Ask any luxury brand. It’s all in the execution.

• Silus

Cheapening quality ? This follows every damn Apple product that they are higher quality than anything else. Can you show me why they are higher quality than anything else ? They seem to have the same problems every other company does, so why are they higher quality ? Because you say so ?

Apple is certainly the only company in the world where their errors in design or problems with the hardware are blamed on the consumer and the consumer still supports them, hence the associations with a cult like behavior. So maybe they are higher quality because Apple told they are and you believe in whatever they say ?

• Silus

And the same idiots that stood in huge lines to buy the iPad 2, will stand in lines to buy the iPad 3 because clearly their iPad 2 isn’t working as it should i.e. it’s not 3 days old anymore…

Oh and don’t forget! Your iPad 3 was assembled quickly for your benefit, at only the cost of 14-16 (or more) hour shifts for the past 2-3 months at Foxconn just so you could have enough iPad 3 at launch for you and your family, that certainly can’t live without one.

• entropy13

Blasphemer! Begone from this place! How dare you besmirch the Holy Apple?

• BIF

I don’t know if I will stand in line, but I will definitely buy one. I have sh!t to do. And there’s an app for all of it!

I don’t have an iPad yet so I am not upgrading. The only tablet like thing I have is my original Nook which I love and use. Since buying the Nook, I’ve begun reading for pleasure again; sometime 2 or 3 novels in a month. And I buy and read newspapers and magazines with it whenever I fly someplace.

• Silus

For which you can buy a Kindle Fire or any other tablet that costs much less and does exactly what you need.

• BIF

No it won’t.

Because what I did not tell you was that for all it can do, a Kindle cannot be a remote mixing surface, a synthesizer control surface, a guitar effects plugin unit, nor will it host songwriting tools, or run my desired investment software. iPad will do all that and will make my iTunes music library mostly portable too.

• Silus

So you use software that only runs on Apple’s iOS ? Well if you caged yourself like that then you created your own problem of needing to spend more money on a device that on any other brand, costs less.

Actually what he means is that some of this stuff just doesn’t exist on Android. AC-7 Core (and there are others, this is just what I have) is a really slick implementation of a control surface for pretty much anything you want to use in your DAW, and to my knowledge nothing like that exists on Android. Amplitube is a pretty cool implementation of a portable guitar effects unit, and again, nothing like it exists on Android. Music-related apps is where my disappointment in Android lies. I wish things like these existed for my Kindle.

• BIF

“So you use software that only runs on Apple’s iOS ?”

No, of course not. I don’t have any iOS devices yet, so that cannot be a true statement. But there are indeed several applications that either run only on iOS, or that run better on iOS.

Android’s latency is too high for music making applications, and now I want to do more without being tied to my desktop or laptop. Tablets have been available for years, and I don’t want to wait any longer for Android to come up to speed.

Many apps for business are available for both iOS and Android, true. But I’ve found that most applications are available for iPad first and Android later (if at all).

I think my choice is logical and well-considered for this particular device. I use everything, so I’m certainly not “fanatic”.

I refuse to be tied to any single pro-OS dogma, be it Windows, Android, or iOS.

I also refuse to be tied to any narrow-minded anti-OS or anti-device dogma. I think this refusal to be tied down actually serves to liberate and empower me, not just in technology, but in life.

• Silus

So many in here criticize Microsoft for the exclusivity of many Xbox titles, that either never see the light of day in other platforms or are released much later for those other platforms, yet Apple doesn’t get any flak when they do it and been doing it for several years…just another example of iSheep and double standards.

Plus this is no dogma nor being narrow minded. Given what you said first, there was no reason to get an iPad, yet you chose to “hide” those other very “important” reasons, to reveal them only at a later post. Why ? Because you already have your mind set in getting an iPad and nothing will deter you from that buying decision. Narrow minded indeed…

Not to mention, as BIF already explained, Apple has optimized iOS for low latency so from a technical standpoint it’s much easier and a better user experience to make the apps he’s talking about for iOS. Not sure why you’re just automatically minusing us because a relative niche is only served on one platform.

• Silus

Well you’re kind of dumb if you think I’m thumbing your posts down but so be it.

On the other hand, I keep getting thumbs down, so maybe I should ask you if you are indeed thumbing me down ? I’m not one to assume you really are thumbing me down without evidence…unlike yourself.

I thumbed this one down because you’re just engaging in personal attacks.

• ludi

What, precisely, is your problem? So someone likes their shiny electronics. What is it to you?

Funny that you should lead this thread with a sustained attack on Foxconn’s working conditions yet then turn right around and suggest that people should consider alternative devices at lower price points. Yet when you vote for the lowest price point, you are actually voting for poor labor conditions and long working hours, because that’s how nearly [i<]everything[/i<] gets made by Chinese contract houses. Then again, many of those laborers are choosing that lifestyle because it's better than breaking your back 14 hours a day in the rice paddies. Do you know where and how your Kindle was made? Do you even care?

• Silus

I don’t own a tablet…from Apple or anyone else…Funny how you backfire with assumptions. Is that how you support your points on a regular basis ?

And I had to vote with the lowest price, because given the information a Kindle Fire would be more than enough. If you disagree, so be it. Go buy your iPad then.

• BIF

Okay, your first paragraph is pretty much a whine-fest, so I’m not going to respond to it.

As for your second, I’ve learned that it’s not usually effective to tell my whole life-story every time I first post to a topic. But by your first response and then your next, it became apparent that I should provide more information, if only to be fair and to share my logic.

Now nobody has to agree with my logic, and you are welcome to disagree. Just share your own logic with me (but without the Xbox thing…I’m not a gamer so I didn’t get any of that). However, with incindiary language like “iSheep” and so forth, it’s obvious that you are not interested in a real exchange of ideas here. You have made up your mind, and that’s fine by me. I won’t continue to try to convince you that I’m right.

I won’t “thumbsdown” anybody for their honest opinion, and I have not done so here even though you’ve been quite mean-spirited so far. When I was little I didn’t play with mean kids. That has served me well in life and I see no reason to start now.

Have a nice day! 😀

• Silus

Mean spirited ? LOL, you don’t visit the interwebs much…

And I’m mean spirited because I used the word iSheep ? Ok…So be it, but that’s my perception of an Apple fan. The majority of people that buy Apple products in a compulsive manner have no idea what they’re buying. They buy it based on brand loyalty or because someone has the latest Apple product and they have to have it too.
            For example, I know some people that did some call center work for carriers and even when presented with the facts that some other devices were better, given the things the person wanted to do with the device, they still wanted the iPhone because and I quote “it’s the best phone”, even though the presented facts clearly said otherwise. It’s a status thing nowadays, much more than anything else.

Good for you that you didn’t play with mean kids. But that can mean you won’t be prepared for the harshness of life, because you were kept in a bubble! Unless you still are in the bubble ?

Have a nice day too! 😀

• TakinYourPoints

[quote<]And they come first to iOS because Apple pays those companies to prioritize those apps for them or keep them exclusive.[/quote<] No, they come to iOS because that is where the money is. It is really simple. The only games that Microsoft keeps exclusive to the XBox are ones that they publish themselves, and it is well within their rights because they foot the bill for the development of those games. If other games are exclusive it is because the developer decided that it wasn't worth the investment to make a port to the PS3 or Wii. The same thing happens here with iOS and Android, it simply isn't worth it for most developers to make an Android application. Microsoft has nearly two dozen full featured and awesome iOS apps and only about half a dozen for Android, almost all of which are things like simple front-ends for Bing and MSN. Meanwhile Office is coming out for iPad this year with no plans for an Android version. Developers go to iOS because there is a centralized marketplace with hundreds of millions of customers ready to buy. Android development stalled last year while iOS continued to accelerate. Here are some hard facts: [url<]http://blog.flurry.com/bid/79061/App-Developers-Bet-on-iOS-over-Android-this-Holiday-Season[/url<] The bottom line for developers is that for every dollar made on iOS, the exact same app will make only $0.24 on Android. iOS users spend money, they are on a uniform and unfragmented hardware platform, all using a unified app store that give developers better access to customers. Your conspiracy theories are cute but they hold no water. Developers are just following the customers.

• Silus

And Android doesn’t have an unified app store ?

I do agree that they are following the money. Because the Apple fanatics will buy apps like the iRich one for $999, so it will obviously be appealing in terms of $$$.

• TakinYourPoints

Using iRich as an example is beyond pathetic. Keep your head in the sand and ignore the fact that nearly every major developer on the planet is releasing on the platform. Living in denial is way easier than admitting that Microsoft is releasing Office on the iPad and have zero plans to do the same on Android.

Ignore the fact that cross-platform developers make less money on Android and that it isn’t worth it to many developers due to market, OS, and hardware fragmentation.

At least it looks like you backed off your sad argument that Apple is paying off developers to be exclusive to iOS. The market itself incentivizes against releasing on Android without their help.

• TakinYourPoints

Do you have a problem running Windows only applications?

I have a Kindle Fire. Running Cyanogenmod it’s pretty slick. Running the stock OS it’s pretty brutally bad. Still, 7″ vs. 10″ screens, they have different applications.

• Silus

And that is one of the beauties of Android when compared to iOS. YOU (the person that actually bought the device with your hard earned money) decide what you want to run on your device and not the company that made it. Stock ROMs exist as the default option, but the user can change it without much hassle and customize it at will.

It’s a shame that stock ROMs aren’t just very good to start with.

• Silus

Well, from my experience I can’t really say I had a bad experience with the stock ROM. Quite the contrary. The stock camera app and the stock music app were the best I’ve used in both features and “coolness” 🙂
            But there’s no doubt that I’m better off with Cyanogenmod (which is the alt ROM I’m using now) for the majority of things.

I’m talking about the Kindle’s stock ROM, which is just brutally awful, not to mention the block on the Android market without rooting (and the firmware updates that intentionally disable root each time).

• TakinYourPoints

A Kindle Fire with a smaller screen, much slower hardware, and far fewer apps had better cost less than an iPad.

At least the Fire costs only $200, most of the other Android tablets cost not much less than the iPad, yet they are trash for most of the same reasons (slow hardware, no real developer ecosystem, etc etc).

You get what you pay for.

• Silus

You already have a couple posts claiming slow hardware in Android devices. Actually “much slower hardware” as you claim. But, as many must’ve already told you, claiming something many times, doesn’t make it true.

You should check benchmarks and actual applications instead of your biased view, in order to reach a conclusion. There’s no such thing as much slower hardware in high-end Android devices, much less Tegra 3 powered ones.

As an Apple fanatic you will obviously take the GPU benchmarks when comparing the iPad 2 with a Tegra 3 powered tablet as the example of “much slower hardware”, but benchmarks don’t show that.
            You also forget the other facts. A5 has massive die area dedicated to the GPU. Tegra 3 doesn’t and it’s still 2 to 3 times faster than the previous generation. Plus the software side of things, where nothing is optimized for Tegra 3 and EVERYTHING is optimized for the A5. You can’t (shouldn’t) follow tech news, when you ignore every known fact of the technology involved.

• TakinYourPoints

Why are you making excuses as to why the Android hardware and ecosystem are inferior, all that matters is that they objectively are.

Bottom line, Tegra 3 benchmarks are roughly the same in practical browser and application benchmarks as the nearly year old A5, and is obviously much much slower in GPU benchmarks. On top of that, developers don’t really make applications for Android tablets anyway so there is nothing to really be taken advantage of.

Finally, using the excuse that the A5 uses a much larger die than the Tegra 3 is something a pathetic apologist would say.

By any objective metric, hardware speed, OS to hardware optimization, and developer support, Android fails in comparison. No excuses.

• JMccovery

Wait, isn’t that the same way just about every consumer electronic device produced? Whether said device is produced by Samsung, LG, Motorola, and others that rely on cheap Chinese/Southeast Asian labor?

• ImSpartacus

No no no, of course not. Apple products are the [i<]only[/i<] products that suffer short product cycles.

• Silus

No, it’s different because of Apple’s brand recognition. No fan of any other company buys as many products from that company, than a fan of Apple buys Apple products. Apple is the largest phone and tablet maker and they ship millions and millions of devices, more than anyone else.

• ImSpartacus

You know, there are consumers of other products that do that as well.

Go to Droid Life. They have guides on the most efficient way to ditch phones when new ones come out. It’s actually a very expensive problem for hardcore Android enthusiasts, much more so than for equally hardcore Apple enthusiasts.

If you want to moan about fanboys, just be fair and consistent about it.

• Silus

Such idiocy….Do you really want to compare Android fans with Apple fans that stay in huge lines for EVERY product that Apple releases ? Can you show me where did that happen for any smartphone or tablet release other than an Apple one ?

And given that fact, I would also like to see an Android fan that buys every iteration of some smartphone from the same company. For example, anyone that bought a Galaxy S, immediately bought a Galaxy S 2 once it came out and will buy a S 3 once it comes out too. Sure they must exist, but I’m willing to bet they are a minority when compared to the Apple fan that bought the ipad, ipad 2, iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iphone 4s and will buy the ipad 3…

The difference is a new Apple release is yearly. New Android releases happen all the time.

• Silus

Wrong. You can’t even distinguish an “Android release” with an “Apple release”. Android is an OS. Apple is a company. Android is an open platform and is released as the OS of phones and tablets of dozens of companies, while Apple’s iOS exists only in products from Apple.

My question was: when Samsung released either the galaxy s or galaxy s 2, were there lines that reached the horizon, much like there are with iphone / ipad launches ?
            Point being made was that comparing Apple fans with any other fans (with the exception of religious zealots) is pointless.

• ImSpartacus

Don’t make the mistake of letting popularity imply things it can’t imply.

If we assume that one out of every hundred fans of [i<]anything[/i<] is a fanboy, then we'd get a 800,000 fanboys from 80 million fans (2011 rough iPhone sales). That's enough to fill those "lines that reached the horizon." On the other hand, if there are only 20 million fans in the market (2011 rough GSII sales), you get lines that are a quarter of the size. So why aren't the GSII lines as big as the iPhone lines? Because the iPhone has four times the userbase and four times as many fanboys. If something is more popular, you get more of everything. More normal fans, more fanboys, more everything.

My point is there are so many different Android devices – new releases happen all the time and there’s always something bigger – in the case of screens, that’s literal rather than figurative – and better coming all the time.

• ImSpartacus

There are Android fans that feverishly get [i<]every[/i<] flagship handset from their carrier. Just because there are fewer hardcore Android fans doesn't mean that they don't exist. It's not fair to expect different sized groups to create equally sized lines. That's just silly.

• Silus

From the (my) post you are replying to:

“For example, anyone that bought a Galaxy S, immediately bought a Galaxy S 2 once it came out and will buy a S 3 once it comes out too. Sure they must exist, but I’m willing to bet they are a minority when compared to the Apple fan that bought the ipad, ipad 2, iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iphone 4s and will buy the ipad 3…”

Where did I say they don’t exist ? I in fact quite clearly say they do exist…

And it’s not just about the lines. The lines are just one way to show how fanatical Apple fans get, because that sort of behavior is something I only see with rock stars when they go to some country they have never been to or only go to very far in between. And by being such fanatics, they will indeed buy almost all (if not all) products from Apple, even if they don’t need it or the old one still does everything they need it for. So selling the old devices can’t possibly be a worse problem for Android fans than for Apple fans, which was what you said.

• ImSpartacus

Apple sales show that users do not dump there devices and buy new at every cycle.

[url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IPhone_sales_per_quarter_simple.svg[/url<] That graph shows iPhone sales by fiscal quarter. The graph is not updated for 2011 and 2012, but there's an updated table at the bottom. If you were right, the sales would spike every quarter that an new iPhone is released and almost completely fall off on other quarters. While they [i<]do[/i<] peak, sales are incredibly strong throughout the year. If you do the math, you see that most iPhones are bought "off season." That leads us to a wonderful conclusion: [b<]Most iOS users buy old iPhones.[/b<] And I'd expect their line to be pretty short, maybe a few minutes of waiting.

• Bensam123

Curiously, why do you propose paying other people more money when they have jobs in the first place because they cost next to nothing?

I’m sure there are workers in Africa who would be more then thrilled with the rates in China… You’d be a good person too, because the Chinese are getting paid way too much when people are starving in Africa…

• entropy13

The further release of the glorious Light of the Holy Apple is imminent!

The unwavering belief of the faithful would be reinforced on this day. It is with much hope that the non-believers would finally be swayed towards the Light, and the whole Blessed Company will rejoice with the conversion to the One, True, and Holy Apple of the non-believers, the infidels.

Glory to Apple Magnificent! Praise be to the Blessed Company! Your Exalted name we shout in strong faith, your enlightening Word forever etched in our hearts, and in our minds.

I was going to say “you’re an idiot” but 3 people beat me to it using the down-thumb. :p

• can-a-tuna

He’s actually quite funny -> so thumbs up. 😀

• BIF

Yes, that was funny, so I +1’d him, even though I plan to buy one myself. LOL!

• entropy13

Admittedly, I’m an idiot. Since I failed to make it even more obvious that my “dumb” phone is a 5 year old Sony Ericsson and the only “tablet” in the house are actually “tablets” in the medicine cabinet, i.e. I don’t own any Apple products at all. LOLOLOLOLOL

• Silus

I’m sure you’ll be contacted by Apple Care or some stupid crap like iCare, to redeem yourself and buy several Apple products at once at a staggering 0.3% discount. It is obvious that you are not well, given your lack of Apple-ware…

You came to a tech site to brag about how you’re decidedly low-tech. I guess I really did get fooled, you win!

• Silus

+1 and you forgot to add in the last paragraph that “may our wallets be empty by your holy products! We leave our own judgement and money upon the greatness of your marketing that deemed other products that cost less with the same or more features as inferior! In Apple we trust”

• entropy13

So, Silus and derFunkenstein got trolled, and presumably they’re two of the four people that thumbed down this comment. While can-a-tuna found it hilarious and gave it a thumbs up. Why can’t there be any more people like can-a-tuna here? LOLOLOL

• BIF

Raising my hand…

• Silus

Not trolled at all, because whether or not what you posted is really what you think about how Apple fans act, that IS how I see them…like a cult where people don’t have a mind of their own.

Even the other day there was some stupid idiot Apple fanatic claiming that other manufacturers are copying Apple, because their tablets/phones are very thin, as if Apple somehow created the idea of thinness and not just the fact that technology evolved to a point that allows the creation of very thin devices…

Brainless iSheep.

• Silus

Oh and I don’t see how you can presume I thumbed down your comment when I clearly started my reply to it with “+1″…Maybe now I’m being trolled ?……

• can-a-tuna

I would love tho hear that act played by Deadwood character Reverend H.W. Smith (Ray McKinnon). It would be perfect.

My guess is that if it’s going to cost more, the iPad 2 will hang around for a while. They’ve been doing that with their phones for quite a while.

• BIF

Best Buy knocked a WHOLE $50 off their iPad 2 prices.

and that’s where I’d expect it to stay if the iPad 2 hangs on.

• dpaus

[quote<]$579 would be a little hefty for a 16GB model without cellular connectivity[/quote<] Not only will they sell every single one they can make at that price, sheeple will line up for 3 days in March storms for the honour of being the first to hand their money over.

• jdaven

And by sheeple you mean every single American including you and me since we are both talking on a website dedicated to the commercial buying of consumer electronics that we don’t need.

• dpaus

You’ve got a real mean streak, you know that?! Anyway, no, I don’t mean
        [quote<]every single American including you and me[/quote<] because I'm Canadian, and up here, lining up on a sidewalk for 3 days in March is usually fatal. Well, for Americans, anyway; Canadians might put an extra t-shirt on under their Toronto Maple Leafs jersey.

• Deanjo

[quote<]Canadians might put an extra t-shirt on under their Toronto Maple Leafs jersey.[/quote<] It's usually the other way around, people put their shirts OVER their Maple Leaf jersey (to go with the paper bag over their head). 😛

• esterhasz

The only point I don’t agree with is “commercial buying” – that’s a pleonasm.

But really, I’d buy one for double that price. I’ve now read probably close to a thousand PDFs on my iPad and the higher screen resolution will finally eliminate the one gripe I had with a setup that has made my professional life significantly easier.

On a second thought, I’d even pay more.

• BobbinThreadbare

I would think you would want something with e-ink for that much reading.

• My Johnson

As a shareholder that’s what I’m counting on.

• entropy13

No higher praise can I give to you but this: Praise be to you! May the Holy Apple be forever in your heart, and in your mind. It is with much thanks to see one of our esteemed leaders to be here. I am but a humble believer, steadfast in his faith to the Holy Apple, true to the Words of the Blessed Company.

• My Johnson

Now give me your moneh!

• entropy13

May the Holy Apple bless you dpaus. You are forgiven for using the word “sheeple” to indicate us. It is with much hope and yearning that people like you, dpaus, would finally behold the enlightening Light that the Holy Apple shall present on the 7th of March.

• dpaus

[quote<]May the Holy Apple bless you dpaus[/quote<] I feel so.... cheap and used.....

• solo_clipper

So is Scott going to line up for this one? Maybe he can live tweet for us this time. 🙂

• dpaus

He’s already in line, 7 people behind Jason.