Rumor: 7.85” iPad to hit production later than expected

As we count down the days to next week’s iPad 3 launch event, the rumor mill is already grinding on about the next shiny Apple gadget. Earlier this morning, DigiTimes reported that Apple’s suppliers have started sending out verification samples of a 7.85" iPad model.

That fun-sized iPad is expected to hit production in the third quarter of this year "at the earliest," according to DigiTimes’ unnamed industry sources. Those sources expect the device to be priced in the $249-299 range—as little as half the price of the base 10" iPad, in other words—and to compete against Amazon’s Kindle Fire. (The Fire has a smaller, 7" display and sells for $199 right now.)

If this story sounds familiar, it’s because DigiTimes posted another one almost just like it last December. At the time, though, the 7.85" iPad was expected to hit production in the late second quarter and to launch "prior to the fourth quarter of 2012." Today’s report suggests the schedule has slipped somewhat, even if the device may still be on the way.

• ghjtdge
    • gmskking

Thats ok, I wont be getting either. Just a fad.

• trackerben

That would a nice size and price for a dedicated remote for the next generation Apple TV. Add Siri capability and voice control of a home theater would also be doable. Particularly if Audience-enhanced mics are built into the Apple TV for complementary processing. They would just need to integrate an IR port and preload an ad-supported-but-Apple-curated HDTV app suite with downloadable profiles.

• blastdoor

Personally I’d be more interested in an iPad with the same screen dimensions as an 8.5″ x 11″ piece of paper (so I guess that would be about 14″ diagonal) — so bigger, not smaller.

• khands

Still waiting for one of those, I don’t care if Apple makes them or not :/

• SPOOFE

Surely there’s a balancing point between usable screen area and overall device weight. I can’t see how a 14″ diagonal can be done without adding around a pound or having a flimsy device, when really, people are clearly clamoring for lighter and sturdier.

• khands

I think there’s a point of diminishing returns until you get very large (table sized, or at least board game sized, would be awesome if it accepted a few more inputs).

If you exclude margins, the iPad is basically already there. It’s just a little bit bigger than I’d like. An 8″ iPad would be pretty slick.

• ImSpartacus

And the “margin” comment really is fair. How often do you write all the way out on the margins of a sheet of paper? It’s basically dead space. On tablets, it [i<]literally[/i<] is dead space.

exactly. If it’s a piece of paper you’re looking for, most 10″ tablets already fit the bill.

• BIF

Why not just make a folding iPad?

I like the Acer Iconia dual screen concept. It runs Windows and conceptually, the dual touchscreens might make it a good portable music and graphic arts laptop.

[url<]http://www.jr.com/product/productListing.jsp?Ntt=+Acer-Iconia+6120+&JRSource=GAW.Acer-Computer.NA.ACE-ICONIA6120.NA.NA&gclid=CKeJk82Mxq4CFQpZ7AodKyAvWg[/url<]

• khands

That’s pretty much the Courier MS had shown off a lot a few years back, pretty sure the reason no one’s made one yet is because they have a patent on it so the only way Acer is making that is likely because it’ll be running Windows.

• BIF

Right, that’s what I figured.

I brought up the Acer only as a concept example of a dual-screen device, which I think would work great with iPad or some flavor of Android.

It can be argured that the 2x thickness requirement for two pad surfaces would not be all that much of an impediment or inconvenience.

Going one step further, maybe a hybrid dual/twin device could be designed, whereby both halves could function separately or as one. They could communicate with each other either wirelessly or work as two separate devices when apart. When joined, they could be made to function (or appear to function) as if they were a single device.

• khands

It’s tablet legos!

• Corrado

I’d LOVE a 7-8″ iPad. It fits much better into my bag, will be lighter, and Im sure it will be 1024×768 so the DPI, while not “Retina Specs” > 300ppi, will be higher density than the existing 10″ @ 1024×768 (obviously).

• dashbarron

On point. Something to fit easier in your pocket and greater mobility is needed.

• wira020

What pocket?

• mattthemuppet

those are big pockets

• SPOOFE

Pockets exist on more than just pants. For instance, my photo bag has a pocket (nice and padded, too!) too small for a 10″ tablet, but probably just right for an 8″.

• Washer

Like, a smartphone?

I can see it now. People who own a 4″ smartphone, a 7″ tablet, a 10″ tablet, and a 13″ laptop.

• samurai1999

Exactly!

• BobbinThreadbare

I think it’s beneficial to have all bases covered by manufacturers so each user can pick the specific sizes they want.

• Washer

What’s a tablet but fits in your pocket? A smartphone! The solution has been here all along! Now we can have all the functions of our tablets but in an even more pocket-friendly and convenient form factor!

I think it would be beneficial if people were not so easily convinced they need an electronic device that fits between their smartphone and laptop but offers no greater capability.

• Corrado

No. Not like a smart phone. I have an iPhone 4S. The screen is the perfect size for a phone. I also have a 15″ MacBook Pro that I love, but I don’t want to lug that everywhere. I had an iPad 1, I had an original Galaxy Tab, I had an Acer Iconia A500 10″ Honeycomb tablet, I now have a Touchpad with ICS on it. Theres too much “This app works on this device but not that one” going on in the Android world for me. Chrome isn’t ‘supported’ on my ICS installed Touchpad. Some apps just decide they aren’t compatible for some silly reason or another and I don’t like it. The Galaxy Tab was the perfect size, but having only 2.2 was a real downer for me. I liked the usability of the iPad, I have a boatload of apps already and as sad as it is to say, apps that are multiplatform get polished up MUCH better on the iOS devices than on Android. MLB at Bat and LogMeIn are the two biggest apps I use on a tablet, and MLB at Bat only has a $15 option, iOS has $15, or $2.99 a month. And the video quality is head and shoulders better on the iOS devices than on Android. LogMeIn is FREE on iOS now, but still costs $30 on Android.

I keep trying to give Android a chance, and everytime I see improvements, but its just not quite there yet for me. I’ll stick to a $300 8″ iPad if it happens.

• Washer

Not sure how to react to this. I’m confused about what you’re even trying to tell me. I’m dumbfounded how you even find time to actually use a tablet given how often you’ve swapped models. Then I was just ultimately depressed that you’ve gone through all this trouble, spent hundreds of dollars, and wasted countless hours to use MLB at Bat and a app to make up for your tablet not being a laptop (but you already own one of those, it’s just too inconvenient apparently).

You honestly believe that you’ll stick to an 8″ iPad after what you wrote? You seriously believe that? You’re addicted to gadgets, not what they do for you. You got rid of the Galaxy Tab because “having only 2.2 was a real downer for me.” Think about it man! You’ll be right in line for the 6.5″ Android 5.0 tablet, though your iPhone 5 will only have 2″ less screen space.

Also, it was just a joke. A tablet can’t fit in your pockets, that’s silly!

• indeego

Rumor: Digitimes explodes and implodes simultaneously.

• Dygear

Speculation: Digitimes makes this shit up as it goes along, and yet it’s still picked up my reputable news outlets.

• kamikaziechameleon

What an inconvenient size. The screen is too small for comfortable viewing or onscreen keyboard input. It better be cheap!

• TheBulletMagnet

I’ve typed on the Kindle Fire in portrait mode and the 7 inch screen makes typing fast, accurate, and feel pretty good as well. I imagine an 8″ will be the same.

• Washer

Depends on the aspect ratio.

I agree about typing in portrait on the Kindle. The issue with an 8″ iPad is if Apple insists on 1024×768 for it – that makes it not just slightly wider because of the bigger screen, but also a bit still wider becasue of the aspect ratio.

• crsh1976

Apple doesn’t do cheap.

• designerfx

well, maybe they’re trying to. Difficulty/question: “at what cost?”

• EV42TMAN

it won’t be apple buys the parts cheap, takes away features(or standard options in the PC world), and put it in a shinny case. then they charge the customer triple… so my guess is that a 7 inch ipad would be a waste of money

• Philldoe

I’ll stick with my Playbook kthnx.

EDIT: OMG HE HATES APPLE iPRODUCTS! GIVE HIM A THUMB DOWN!!!!1!!!1!

Really? Grow the hell up.

• tanker27

I dont get it. I really think its a reach for this. It would be easier to have another model of the iPad at that target price then manufacture something new. And with the release of the iPad 3 upon us I am highly doubtful of this rumor.

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, I’d expect the original iPad to hit $300 rather than a new bargain bin iPad.

• khands

Original is discontinued, only way you can get them now is second hand.

• ImSpartacus

Oh, I didn’t know that. Makes enough sense. The iPad 2 was what the original should’ve been. Cameras, [i<]much[/i<] beefier GPU, etc. Yeah, that's a bit of a pickle for Apple, [i<]if[/i<] they want to control tablet market share. But you don't need market share to make money (Macs?), so I think they'll do fine.