Thermaltake shows off Level 10 M gaming mouse

Thermaltake’s upcoming Level 10 M mouse was designed in conjunction with BMW, so it’s no surprise that more details about the mouse have been released at the CeBIT trade show in Germany. The mouse is built on an aluminum base and offers a floating palm rest with 5 mm of height adjustment and 5° of tilt to either side. According to Thermaltake, the floating base and built-in ventilation holes should do a good job of cooling your sweaty palms. The holes also highlight the mouse’s LED-powered glow, which can be toggled between a rainbow of different colors.

The overall design is a little reminiscent of Cyborg’s Rat 7 mouse, but the Level 10 M isn’t quite as adjustable. It does boast a higher-resolution sensor capable of tracking at up to 8,200 DPI, though. The DPI level is adjustable on the fly, of course, and the mouse is loaded with 11 programmable buttons that can be configured using the included software. Up to five profiles can be stored on the rodent’s 128KB of internal memory, which makes me think it can get by without software once everything is set up.

Although the Level 10 M is obviously designed for gamers, the extra features have appeal for normal desktop use. It’s certainly nice to be able to quickly increase the DPI for desktop navigation and lower it for photo editing and other tasks that demand high precision. Having the option to fine-tune the shape to perfectly fit your hand can make long mousing sessions more comfortable, too.

Thermaltake says the Level 10 M is coming soon in three colors: black, white, and military green. We don’t yet know how much the mouse will cost, but we may have to take a closer look when it becomes available.

• cegras

I’m going to go against the grain here and say that it looks quite nice. It has a similar vibe to the cyborg mice.

• d34thly

They should make a mouse shaped like a big purple c**k because it would create such immersion when playing Saints Row 3.

• lilbuddhaman

[url<]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_osrVjnPbdEM/S8s_xw-7Z3I/AAAAAAAAa3o/lwsV06FhWSI/s1600/Mouse_In_Form_Of_Female_G_Point_3.jpg[/url<]

• BIF

Got anything for lefties?

• Deanjo

Not as of yet, but hopefully in the future with advances made in embryo genetic screening this problem could be addressed. 😛

• Meadows

Left-handed people are superior, and you know it.

• Deanjo

How can they be superior if they never do anything right?

• Meadows

I gave you a +1 for that, even though I’m a lefty.

• entropy13

I’m more comfortable dribbling with my right, but I shoot a basketball with my left. I serve a shuttlecock in badminton with my right, but I smash it with my left. I serve the ball at table tennis with either hand, and smash with either.

• d34thly

My suggestion would be a Zowie AM or a Razer DeathAdder Leftie edition. They are the two best mice you can get for left handed gaming. I retract that because I forgot razer hasn’t made anything quality in such a long time, just get a Zowie AM.

• lilbuddhaman

The deathadder leftie I bought was riddled with issues.
        -Deathadder software is required for certain functions (dpi switching) to work. In addition, dpi switching requires 2 buttons (one for up and one for down) to properly work, you can’t even hit dpi up multiple times to get it to scroll to the lowest setting
        -The clicking mechanism not only felt “off”, but it would actually miss clicks. This is after only a few hours of use.

Were the latter issues due to a defective unit ? I decided that it didn’t matter and went back to using a G5, which is molded for a rightie, but not too uncomfortable to use.

Personally I would suggest a symmetrically designed mouse, as I suspect that these limited run “leftie” editions are prone to more manufacturing errors due to them being made as a single one-off run.

• Vasilyfav

For people who want to feel like l33t gamers, but are actually awful at most games they play.

• entropy13

My cheap A4Tech X7 mice are more than enough for me.

• d34thly

🙂 waiting on my X7-705K to ship from China. I am actually looking forward to a cheap mouse especially since the X7 series is about the only mice I haven’t tried yet. I currently use a Zowie EC2 which is the best mouse I’ve ever used so far.

• entropy13

I also have an X7 gaming keyboard. $18 for a good gaming mouse and $21 for a good gaming keyboard: good deals.

• destroy.all.monsters

Where are these available? Also do they have any mechanical model keyboards?

Thanks

• entropy13

Well, apparently you can only get them when you’re on this side of the Pacific, I don’t see European and American retailers having A4Tech products at all, even though they’re good, and even better when you consider their price. My only qualm really is the Engrish in the packaging/manual (“It can be completed cleaned and soaked in water.” “Make sure to keep at the same position as pouring the water so the water can leak from the holes completely.”) and their website(s).

At the prices that their products go to, they essentially have NO COMPETITION at all. Unless you count the cheaper, vanilla mice/keyboards from Logitech as “competition”…

I don’t think they have mechanical keyboards though.

EDIT: Actually they have [b<]A[/b<] mechanical keyboard. A small, wireless keyboard/mouse combo has a mechanical keyboard.

• ronch

This would probably look right at home in a sci-fi movie. But in the real world, I think it looks a bit dorky. I don’t know. To each his own, I guess.

Usually I just cheap out on the mouse, but I get a reputable brand such as Logitech or A4tech.

• danny e.

a “gaming mouse”? What market is that for?
    I remember back in the good old days when they used to make PC games. Those were the days.

Also, possibly the worst looking pc part I’ve ever seen in my life.
    It looks like a shipwreck mated with a car crash.

• Krogoth

Looks like this guy was designed by a tech fad stylist not an engineer.

Because clearly they never heard of “Keep it simple stupid”.

• Bensam123

8200 DPI is a rather impressive jump compared to current mice. I wonder what kind of sensor it uses or it’s just another rebranded philips. If it’s rebranded, we’ll see other mice out at the same DPI levels in a month or so.

• Madman

Wow, the current mouse I use, MX100, has only 800 DPI sensitivity.

• d34thly

Anyone who plays anything at over 2000 dpi is FAIL.

• LiquidSpace

I use 2200 when flying a jet in BF3 for tight and quick turns to counter any jet trying to take you down.

• d34thly

That’s because (i think) Battlefield secretly gets royalties from every mouse company with a silly dpi switcher button seeing as the dpi drops to like 50 every time you man a turret or try to turn a vehicle 🙂 (that has to be the only reason they put that stupid shit in the control scheme of BF/BF2/BF3/BBC2).

• travbrad

Yeah, and the annoying thing is there is no good reason for it to be like that. In BC2 you could actually edit some config files to get the vehicle turrets to be the same sensitivity as everything else, which begs the question; WHY isn’t it that way by default? I have a mouse with DPI buttons, but c’mon…that shouldn’t be a requirement to properly play a game.

It’s hard to discern whether it’s because of royalties or incompetence though. With how many bugs remain unfixed in BF3 I wouldn’t bet against incompetence.

• Bensam123

Turrret traversal speed is fixed, so you can only turn so fast no matter how fast you move your mouse. It keeps people from winging turrets on a tank around and going ‘boom headshot’ while looking retarded.

• Fighterpilot

huh?….wut? lol
          Turn speed does not decrease with mouse sensitivity…

• Bensam123

DPI != sensitivity. Buy a high DPI mouse and turn your sensitivity way down if you don’t like the speed. Sensitivity is not nearly the same as DPI. Having your mouse able to sense every nuance in your hand is an amazing feeling and implies unprecedented amounts of control.

It’s like PPI for your hands instead of your eyes.

• d34thly

Believe me I have 63 gaming mice sitting right here (and someone who sucks as bad as me at gaming instantly definitively notices every little nuance of every mouse) 🙂

• Airmantharp

Use a 30″ screen, and you’ll quickly find out just how far that extra DPI goes.

• d34thly

I have 3 x 27″ displays and I’m still at 2000 dpi

• Bensam123

DPI != sensitivity. Get a high DPS mouse and turn down the sensitivity to match your current mouse speed. You’ll most definitely notice the difference.

Where the RAT 7 is all about function over form, it looks good because naked engineering always looks good (yes, I am an engineer).

The TT Level10M looks like most Tiawanese crap: A poor imitation.
    The RAT 7 and RAT 9 are the most adjustable mice on the market, and it’s looks are direct result of the adjustability. TT have made a whole bunch of design choices with this mouse that have no valid function, they’re just done that way to look ‘a bit more like the RAT mice’ and ride on Cyborg’s coat-tails.

Realistically, this is an [i<]un[/i<]adjustable mouse: 5 degrees is almost nothing, and 5mm of height barely covers the different shells you can get for things like the Logitech G9 series.

• Bensam123

I tried out the R7 for a bit and it just didn’t do it for me. I appreciate what it’s trying to do, but it didn’t deliver. It ended up rubbing wrong on my ping and my thumb, even after adjusting it right. The contours on the pieces that actually touch my hands weren’t up to snuff.

• d34thly

Do you play games or just work for Cyborg (RAT7 division) ?

• malicious

That looks like a nightmare to keep clean and dust free. I’m guessing the target audience isn’t too concerned with such mundane things as long-term maintenance though.

• slash3

Obviously you’re not a hard core gamer – if you’re using the mouse 22 hours per day, dust won’t get on it because your hand is protecting it.

🙂

• ronch

• UberGerbil

But if you’re a hard-core gamer, cheetos dust and energy-drink spillage takes the place that ordinary house dust occupies among people with normal hygiene,

• d34thly

What are you doing to your mouse to get it so dirty? 🙂

• lilbuddhaman

alternating between doritos and the mouse can be hazardous.

• travbrad

We are calling it “doritos” now? Good to know.

• LiquidSpace

the military green looks awesome, BTW is the scroll 4 ways? and how many side buttons does it have on each side?

sick and tired of these crappy razer and logitech mice need something built for war for BF3 baby.

• Meadows

Ah yes, you’re the guy who blamed BF3’s cheating problem on [url=https://techreport.com/discussions.x/22593?post=619984<]North American internet latency[/url<]. Trust me then, this mouse will make you into a murder machine. It's not like you need the skills or anything, trust me.

• adam1378

Burn!

• d34thly

Yeah, screw Logitech and Razer! Have you tried this 1337 gamer mouse yet [url<]http://www.crazypc.com/products/coupe-blue-4250BL.html[/url<] You can pwn the world with this secret weapon of a mouse 🙂

• kamikaziechameleon

As with most thing user interface oriented I’ll have to try it. I love my RAT 9 its by far the best built and designed mouse I’ve ever held, from the metal chassis to the matte finish on all the contact areas. This has a very similar appeal. I really enjoy the convenient array of buttons on the thumb side of the RAT these look less convenient. I wonder if they have a wireless version and if its easier to swap out the battery, my rat 9 is like pulling teeth.

Don’t know why everyone is so negative, did you not like the RAT line? I loved them and I’m excited to see any mouse that can offer that level of quality in their build. while I love the logitech lasers, drivers(or lack there off) and how reliable they are on that level, however their bodies/chassis fall apart on me. I’m not a fan of razor since the Lachesis of mine failed to work and had a persistent recognized bug that every other Lachesis owner I knew personally had I’m kinda over them, especially at their premium.

• tay

Don’t you get extra lag with a wireless mouse? Or is that a 2005 problem?

• kamikaziechameleon

Not that I notice, I do however know the lack of cord made for a much different resistance than I was used too.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I wouldn’t be caught dead with that ugly heap on my desktop. I’ll take a tried and true Logitech design, thanks.

• khands

Not everything needs to be a R.A.T. Cyborg

• DeadOfKnight

ugly

• AssBall

They design it like a an awkward space ship and then charge you for a spaceship. I’ll keep my Intellimouse Explorers, thx.

• Meadows

With 128 kiB of RAM, it also goes to the Moon, [i<]twice[/i<].

• puppetworx

Meh, it’s not stylised enough..

• Duck

5° of tilt… fail.

I want 50° of tilt. How can no one understand ergonomics?

• entropy13

Would personally prefer 360°. Oh wait.

• Johnny5

I must admit the idea of a mouse that you somehow hold with your palm up sounds intriguing. I just tried using my mouse with my hand upside-down on top of it. It didn’t go so well.