Epic Citadel now available in a web browser near you

We’ve known it was coming since last October, but witnessing it first-hand is something else. I’m talking, of course, about the Flash version of Epic Games’ Epic Citadel tech demo, which has finally become public.

You’ll need the Flash Player 11.2 Release Candidate to run this thing. I gave it a shot in Firefox myself, since using a pre-release build of Flash is a little awkward in Chrome. (You’ve got to go into the options, open up “Content settings,” and then disable the integrated Flash Player under “Disable individual plug-ins.”) The result was pretty impressive:

This is the same Unreal Engine 3-powered demo that premiered on iOS a year and a half ago, only this time, it’s running smooth as silk inside a web browser. You can click and drag your way through the world or use WASD to move and click-and-hold to look around. If you can’t be bothered with that, there’s a guided tour, too.

So, when can I get my browser-based helping of Infinity Blade?

• vince

I can imagine this not running very smoothly on many machines, considering the CPU power Flash uses, for example, in some Facebook games (not sure if it’s a good basis of comparison). Those FB games are not 3D, no rendering, etc., while this game does. Many people here on TR probably have powerful enough machines, but all the “common” users out there with their HP/Dell/etc bargain PC’s will probably have a hard time running this…

• sschaem

“Epic also showed off Unreal Tournament 3 and Dungeon Defenders running in Flash, with only a moderate performance hit.”

The comments also tell that the version are indistinguishable from the xbox 360 version.

And you can start to see 3D iOS games written with Flash11 stage3D coming out for the ipad and iphone. [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C12tmb_y1I[/url<] For developers it seem like a good deal. Write using a single API and it runs on android, iphone/ipad, and web browser on PC, macs and linux.

• Bensam123

While it’s cool being able to run a full fledged game in your browser, I don’t think this will ever have the same impact as full install games. I personally dislike having a game hiding in a cached file somewhere and lacking overall control over the application. The video game industry has been trying real hard to push and do this sort of thing for a couple years now… for what reason I still don’t know.

I guess it’s not as bad as the browser/full install game hybrids that are popping up though. Like League of Legends and BF3. Unlike full browser based games I can see why they do this though; It makes it easier to segment the development process for different teams.

• Ryu Connor

So it exposes our video drivers – that do very little input validation – to the larger web as a whole?

That’ll end well.

• chuckula

You have a good point… considering that modern Nvidia & ATi drivers have bigger LoCs than the kernel in Windows XP did, the room for mischief is large.

• shank15217

If that’s the case, why haven’t these drivers been the vector for traditional virus attacks?

• Ryu Connor

It’s a broader scope to attack the OS than aim at specific drivers. That doesn’t mean the risk is non-existant.

[url=http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-no-way-to-support-webgl-and-meet-our-security-needs.ars<]Microsoft: no way to support WebGL and meet our security needs[/url<]

• sschaem

Funny how Google think the reverse and include WebGL built in their web browsers.

How many exploit so far using WebGL vs any other traditional API?

• EsotericLord

Works great in IE 9 as well.

Really impressive tech. Superior quality level to the browser version of Quake, without all the plugins needing installing. Could really expand what is possible in a browser based game in a few years.

FYI, you can use WASD to move and the arrow keys to look around, instead of the mouse. Feels better.

• Meadows

Quake has a browser version?

• EsotericLord

[url<]http://www.quakelive.com/[/url<]

• Meadows

That’s not it. It’s an installed binary on the computer, it doesn’t actually run off anything browser-specific.

• bittermann

Anybody else get nauseous after a couple minutes of looking around…wow!

• HisDivineOrder

Even Adobe knows flash is on life support. Do it with HTML5. Then I’ll be impressed.

• codedivine

HTML5 by itself does not include a 3D API. But I guess you mean WebGL?

• indeego

And WebGL is very broken still, if Google Maps is anything to measure it by.

• UberGerbil

Still, we’ve seen plenty Flash games already. Doing something like this in a browser without using Flash would be much more impressive — especially since we’re seeing browsers on so many new devices and platforms for which Adobe doesn’t offer Flash.

• sschaem

The point is that doing this without WebGL is impossible, unless you write a plugin for each platform and browsers… and like you hinted at, most platform are locked nowadays so good luck with that.

So yes it would be very, very impressive if someone can write javascript code that provide GPU level performance in a low level 3D API.

And Flash not running in Metro for example is all Microsoft… Its a way to lock user and developers to be under their control.

• indeego

Microsoft not allowing a technology has just as much potential to backfire on them as it does in gaining customers.

If I’m picking platforms, and Microsoft isn’t supporting my legacy environment, why would I consider them over x or y company that also provides a fresh start and a better pathway for my business or gaming or whatever my needs are?

I won’t use a browser without plug-ins/add-on capability: period. None of them Out Of Box provide what I consider even the most fundamental of my browsing needs. Flash or X not running on Metro actually makes evaluating Microsoft that much easier in the future.

• Washer

Microsoft isn’t trying to gain additional customers with blocking Flash in Metro. They’re trying to figure out ways to make more from their existing customers. Microsoft is not being very brave with this either. Apple has already proven you can be Flash-free, and so will Android once the majority of devices are being sold or upgraded to ICS.

Now, I don’t believe Flash is anywhere close to life support. But it does seem to be in the beginning phases of transitioning to a new goal. Less about being a video player or website elements to a web app and in-browser gaming platform.

• l33t-g4m3r

I agree, Metro is a slap in the face to open computing. What I really don’t get is why Metro is based on WinRT and not Win32, unless MS is really trying to create a walled garden. The evidence seems to grow everyday to support that theory, and I don’t like it.

[url<]http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/microsofts-metro-proves-the-pc-is-dead/18705[/url<]

• sparkman

When someone talks about HTML5’s 3-D graphics there is no doubt that they mean WebGL.

• l33t-g4m3r

Flash is not on life support. This Meme is. A couple years ago you might have had a small ledge to grasp, but not anymore.

• sparkman

Flash is junk, or used to be. Maybe it is improving but with HTML5+etc. maturing, Flash has no future.

• lilbuddhaman

Runs very smoothly on an i5 integrated gpu, except when you bring up a menu in the same tab (such as right clicking to show the flash settings), where it then drops to about 1 fps.

edit: looks like some asshat went on a thumbs downing spree of every single post in this story for god know’s what reason.

• ascus

Can we have the Flash Duke Nukem Forever now?

• CuttinHobo

“When it’s done.”

• maxxcool

• Mourmain

• indeego

= 1 TR looks like a bunch of rudimentary algebraic formulas now.

• Farting Bob

They were 95% finished then decided to change to HTML5 and start again. In 4 years they will decide to move to silverlight.

• Krogoth

You win one internet. πŸ˜€

• gmskking

I hate flash, get rid of it.

• Farting Bob

• FuturePastNow

I hate Flash, too, but you don’t tell me what to do.

• 5150

Jellyfish, get rid’ev ’em.

• south side sammy

I get a wavy ice waste land and a few scattered bushes floating in the air……….. what’s the deal…… what a waste……….. and doesn’t maneuver very well… phooey! another waste of somebody’s time.

• Waco

Same here. Of course, I’m running 64 bit Linux and using an old-ass Quadro card. I’m not surprised in the slightest that the nVidia driver is crap. πŸ˜›

• Deanjo

Meh, I would be more impressed if it was using HTML5 and not flash.

• kyboshed

[quote<]So, when can I get my browser-based helping of Infinity Blade?[/quote<] Probably when Epic work out a way to charge you for it…

• Farting Bob

If only there was a way to charge people for something on the internet!

• sweatshopking

seems it doesn’t render at all on my arrandale gpu πŸ™

• homerdog

Make sure you enable hardware acceleration (right click on screen while running the demo -> settings, in the leftmost tab). Then exit the demo and reopen it.
      Worked for me, though I have a GTX260.

• grantmeaname

“Epic Games’ Epic Citael tech demo”

• jpostel

Is it (wait for it) epic?

No, it’s just spelled wrong.

• TheMonkeyKing

No, needs more Epic.

• Meadows

Cyril, you’ve done it again. I love you.

• Sargent Duck