Windows 8-powered Nokia tablet said to be in the works

Microsoft and Nokia are like two peas in a pod lately—and have been so ever since they formally partnered up in February 2011. It’s no surprise, then, to see rumors floating around about an upcoming Windows 8-powered Nokia tablet. DigiTimes has the scoop:

Nokia will team up with Microsoft to venture into the tablet PC market by releasing a 10-inch Windows 8-based tablet PC set on Qualcomm’s dual-core platform in the fourth quarter of 2012 at the earliest, according to sources at upstream component suppliers.

Compal will manufacture the device, the site adds, and initial shipments will amount to 200,000 units.

When Windows 8 arrives later this year, Microsoft may find itself in the same position as it did after Windows Phone 7’s November 2010 debut: late to the party with a compelling platform but a dearth of hardware and native apps. The iPad will have been out for over two years by then. So, partners like Nokia may be needed to showcase Windows 8’s potential, especially on ARM hardware where legacy x86 apps won’t be supported.

Frankly, I like the look of Nokia’s Windows 8 phones. They’ve got this unique aesthetic that miraculously doesn’t fit the classic Samsung/HTC mold. And let’s not forget that Nokia has a reputation for sturdy, well-built handsets, as well. I think one can be reasonably hopeful about this upcoming tablet, if it indeed exists.

• HisDivineOrder

Microsoft’s man on the inside, the guy they conned Nokia into hiring to run their company, continues the good work of controlling Nokia’s mobile aspirations without MS having to bother buying them.

To think, Nokia’s actually paying this guy money and he in turn is paid by Microsoft to keep them going down the Windows trail until the bitter end. I wonder if Nokia’s aware how badly they’re being used and how quickly Microsoft will dump the withered remains of their company once this is all done.

• xtalentx

You do know Nokia’s entire board had to agree to switch to WP. That said Nokia knew Symbian/Meego was hurting and would not maintain the market share they were looking for. There is a much higher potential reward in partnering with Microsoft than they probably ever could have imagined alone.

• dashbarron

I <3 Nokia. They had the sturdiest phones with best reception, battery, and UI that I could ask for in a device that just made calls. Too bad my carrier doesn’t carry them anymore.

I have set my Nokia on fire, frozen, washed, chewed on (by some wild animal) and the damn thing still worked–all one of many beloved phones.

• Deanjo

I son’t know about the sturdiest. I seem to recall knocking grizzlies senseless with the old Motorola “brick”.

• Anarchist

… tablet looks like a device just waiting to run out of it’s 15 minutes of fame.

• ludi

When: 4Q12
    Where: The Boat From China

Passenger 1: “Hi there! I’m the first Nokia Windows 8 Tablet.”
    Passenger 2: “Nice to meet you. I’m the 100 millionth iPad.”

/Scene

• srg86

These days the only thing Nokia has anything to do with that I’d want is Qt, I’m trying to get away from Microsoft!

• Decelerate

Imo it’s detrimental to announce a product so far out, especially in the situation Microsoft/Nokia are in within the specific market the device is being introduced.

In the best-case scenario, they’re diluting the hype. In the worst-case scenario, which happens most often, they’re building up hype to a point where expectations becomes undeliverable (see: RiM Playbook, HP Touchpad, etc.).

Build quality products, the hype will self-generate (Apple,Rovio, Google, etc)

• ImSpartacus

Bu-bu-but all of Apple’s success is in their marketing!

I hate it when I hear people refusing to accept that successful companies make good products. A decent product can die due to lame marketing (Zune? Web OS?), but good marketing doesn’t yield success in the face of a mediocre product.

If Nokia can make a good tablet (and they can) and it gets half as much retail presence as some of the crummy Honeycomb tablets have gotten, then it will all work well for them.

• dpaus

[quote<]but good marketing doesn't yield success in the face of a mediocre product.[/quote<] *choke* {gag} ~splutter~

• sweatshopking

they’ve never announced a product. they’ve only said “no comment, but we’re open to a variety of options”. that’s not an announcement.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Funny because NOKIA isn’t announcing any tablet. Just in Techreport rumors are taken as announcement. XD

• Decelerate

Indeed, I missed the DigiTimes part.

That being said, the reasoning applies in general.

• dpaus

Microsoft needs to be careful here; the industry already sees Nokia as their manufacturing arm for mobile devices, and moving beyond phones into tablets runs the risk of [s<]seriously pissing off[/s<] alienating major partners like HP and Lenovo (not that HP didn't do more-or-less the same thing with WebOS). And if Microsoft wants Windows8-on-ARM to succeed, they're going to need the retail reach of the HPs and Lenovos of the world.

• xtalentx

I will be first in line for one of these bad boys! Also the second AT&T has a Nokia phone with Apollo and updated specs I will be all over it!

• sweatshopking

i’d get a windows 8 tablet from nokia, but i’d prefer x86…. so i’ll have to see… i want to dock it, and arm doesn’t have hon support…. i don’t really love tablets… so idk…

• burntham77

Yeah, I would love to load up a Windows 8 tablet with some games from GOG.com and see how those run. To be fair, I can do that right now with any of the Windows 7 tablets, and I just might. So there.

• xtalentx

I’ll have to measure x86 vs ARM a bit more before I commit. Running legacy apps does have its appeal.