Firefox 11 arrives with snazzy 3D dev tools

A new version of Firefox has arrived, and users have two major new features to look forward to: add-on sync, which lets you synchronize add-ons across multiple systems, and Tilt, which… well, just watch the video below:

I suppose one could accurately describe Tilt as a 3D DOM inspector. It shows the document object model hierarchy as stacked 3D layers on the page, and it lets you swoop around and select different layers at your leisure. Tilt uses WebGL, and it interfaces with the other components of Firefox’s built-in dev tools, so you can get an at-a-glance view of the HTML and CSS code tied to selected elements. Pretty cool, huh?

To access Tilt, simply right-click on a page, select "Inspect Element," and click "3D" on the toolbar that appears at the bottom of the browser window.

Firefox’s dev tools might still be a little new and lacking in features—at least compared to the famous Firebug extension and Google’s Chrome dev tools—but clearly, Mozilla isn’t intent on just playing catch-up. I have a feeling Firefox may prove more invaluable than ever next time I have to freshen up TR’s CSS with new features and/or design tweaks.

• jtennison

Since I’m not a developer, I think I’ll skip it. :-))

• colinstu

neat looking! Almost wouldn’t mind browsing the web this way, some how.

• theadder

Another change is that the ‘view image’ behaviour has changed.

It used to display the image at the top left with a white background; now it uses a black/grey background and centres the image both vertically and horizontally.

Since someone else here may dislike this as well; does anyone know how to revert the changes, hopefully with as few changes to about:config or additional addons as possible?

Edit: Fixed with [url<]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/old-default-image-style/[/url<] if anyone else has this need also.

• ew

Also has support for SPDY but you have to enable it manually.

• indeego

Switched over to Waterfox. Amazingly, everything works perfectly. Even with 40+ tabs I’m nowhere near memory limits of 32-bit browsers however.

• stdRaichu

Thanks for the name, hadn’t heard of waterfox before now. And yes, I’m one of those people who regularly ran into the 1.8GB barrier with firefox, at least prior to version 8.

Have you tried running a side-by-side session of firefox vs. waterfox to see if there’s any difference in memory usage? I’d expect the 64bit version to chomp slightly more memory but how they behave over time would certainly be interesting.

• theadder

I am running Waterfox also, as of recently. I haven’t conducted any tests of the type that you detail, but my impression is that it is much better able to cope with larger numbers of tabs. The general performance seems to be better also.

No formal tests, but anecdotally it is much better.

• indeego

Yeah I have noticed loading multiple tab loading to be much better.

I have a set of 25 Bookmarks I like to load upon occasion and with Waterfox they are all loaded about 10 seconds and I can easily switch to a non-loading tab.

Firefox.exe*32 is about 20 seconds, and switching between them is sluggish.

• lilbuddhaman

WOAH thank you much. This works quite nicely even after just a short time using it.

• judoMan

Infoworld published a review of Waterfox today, along three other x64 Firefox builds: [url<]http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/4-firefox-rebuilds-feed-the-need-speed-188584?page=0,2[/url<]

• lilbuddhaman

Used it, was pretty neat, though I’m not knowledgeable enough (or interested) to do anything with it.

• dpaus

I can hardly wait to give this to our developers – or to use to view their work.

• Vasilyfav

I can’t wait to drop acid and try it on the “Top 10 worst sites of 2011”

• nanoflower

[url<]http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/worst-websites-of-2011-Q1.html[/url<]

• dashbarron

Aero’s bastard cousin Fox.