Release roundup: Fans, Mini-ITX cases, and more

In this week’s look at miscellaneous product launches and announcements, we bring news from Antec, Genius, Lian Li, and Toshiba:

• Antec announces TrueQuiet Pro 120 fan. We don’t see press releases being sent out about fans everyday, but apparently, the TrueQuiet Pro 120 is special. Antec says it features a "revolutionary fan blade" that is "attached to the frame, forming a type of cylindrical turbine." The result, the company adds, is a "greater cooling surface area" with less turbulence than with conventional designs. The fan comes with a two-speed control switch (which lets you toggle between 600 and 1200 RPM), silicone grommets, and silicon mounting pins. Yours for $19.95.
  • Genius SW-G2.1 3000 gaming speakers now available in the USA & Canada. Genius calls the bass on this $119.99 speaker setup "tremendous," "powerful," and "heart-thumping," so that gives you some idea of what to expect. (Maybe these are the ideal speakers for all those dubstep-infused game trailers.) The SW-G2.1 3000 is rated for 70 watts of total output power. Its speakers have metal drivers, and there are two input jacks "for PC/TV/DVD/Game devices." Headphone and microphone connectors appear on the remote, too, so you can plug in a headset without touching your computer. Handy.
  • Lian Li announces PC-Q05. Ooh, shiny. Lian Li’s latest case is custom-designed for Intel’s DH-61AG motherboard, which has a Mini-ITX form factor and an LGA1155 processor socket, and the Intel HTS 1155LP cooler, which looks pretty close to what you might see in a laptop or all-in-one PC. The result is a slick and slim enclosure measuring only 11.2" x 1.8" x 12.1" and weighing in at 1.8 lbs. The PC-Q05 can accommodate two 2.5" hard drives or solid-state drives, and it’s coming out in black and silver. Look for it in April with a $89.99 price tag.

• Toshiba launches SDHC memory cards with world’s fastest transfer rates. Toshiba claims its new Exceria SD cards offer the "world’s fastest data transfer speed," and it might just be right. Exceria Type 1 cards are rated for top read and write speeds of 95MB/s and 90MB/s, respectively. Toshiba will offer them in 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB capacities this July. The company is also cooking up Exceria Type 2 cards. Those will be out in August, and they’ll offer twice the capacity with lower write speeds (only 60MB/s). Exceria Type HD cards are also on the way; they’ll be slower still, but you should be able to find them as soon as next month. Check out the official announcement for a full list of models.

I’ve gotta say, that Lian Li case looks pretty swanky—especially in black. Too bad it doesn’t seem to have room for expansion cards, though. That might be a dealbreaker if you’re planning to build an HTPC with PVR capabilities.

• kamikaziechameleon

perdy lian li case!

• demani

The Intel board says it has LVDS support- any chance that could somehow be used to drive a laptop display (what kind of connectivity would be needed)? I’ve got some laptops that aren’t too good, but have nice displays that would be suddenly useful.

• Welch

Id really like to know what some of you are excited about with that lian li case…. there is nothing at all special looking about it. In fact its as boring as they come. Utilitarian comes to mind as it seeks to fit in with its server blade kin. Nothing more, nothing less. If its cools a mini-itx based system and keeps quiet then it did its job. Other than that it shouldn’t be winning any beauty awards.

• khands

It’s a wonderful looking HTPC case and retardedly light.

• demani

The only thing I wish that case had was a window for an internal IR receiver. That would just about do it.

• Ethyriel

And inexpensive at that. I’ve been tempted by HDPlex stuff, but now I don’t know if the 3-4x price is worth it for silence. Nobody else has really caught my attention in the mitx space until now.

• TravelMug

“We don’t see press releases being sent out about fans everyday”

No, but the $20 price tag explains why you are seeing one now.

• internetsandman

Yeah cause Noctua has NEVER made a fan that expensive…

• anotherengineer

Antec fan $20 and 2-yr warranty

How come Noctua fans have a six year warranty and are also $20.

What’s the matter Antec, have no faith in your ‘quality’ fans?

• Palek

[quote<]Antec says it features a "revolutionary fan blade"[/quote<] Aren't all fan blades revolutionary? Ba-dum pssh.

• Grigory

Nice! 🙂

• dpaus

That joke’s been going around a lot.

• Palek

I put a fresh spin on it, though.

• satchmobob

Yeah, and it really blows too!

• Arclight

Punster McPunstein.

• rhysl

I can use my USB PVR device on that Lan Li case.. cool

• JohnC

“Revolutionary”??? I guess people at Antec never heard about Y.S. Tech’s TMD fans…

• TrptJim

TMD fans failed to take off many years ago and the technology was never used again, so I don’t see it as revolutionary at all.

• JohnC

I know the first revision was recalled, though I remember reading somewhere that Y.S. Tech was preparing to release the improved revision of these fans few years later but decided to abandon the whole thing because it was not really cost-efficient (in terms of price/performance vs. the “conventional” fans). Anyway, they still mention this type of design/tech on their site so I guess they might still utilize it in future, maybe not for PC market.

I got a 70mm one (did they even make other sizes?). It was relatively quiet for how fast it spun (5700rpm or so).

• Goty

I had the same on my Vantec Aeroflow HSF. That thing was great for its time.

• Bensam123

Yeah, the LL case does look pretty sexy. Too bad that cooler wasn’t designed to just sit ontop of the CPU and push air through it. That would make the case a bit taller, but not nearly as wide, but the height could also be used for a single slot turned horizontal with a riser card adjacent to the CPU… 😮

It took me a minute or two to work out how that Antec fan could even spin.

I’ll wait for a review of this, but my understanding of fluid kinematics and how white noise is created means that this could actually be much quieter than a conventianal fan.
    It could also be a poorly-balanced, made-in-China POS.

I will probably buy one because it looks cool 😐

• Bensam123

I didn’t even notice that the blades were attached to the sides till I saw your comment. Curious contraption. I wonder what would happen if they simply removed the motor from the center of the case and replaced the entire outside of the housing with a coil… So in essence the blade would be in the center of the motor…

It seems like that would reduce turbulence even more as there would no longer be support bars going to the motor in the middle…

• DPete27

From the looks of the cables, the motor is still in the middle. My guess is that the supports/bearings are around the perimeter of the “blades”

• Bensam123

I think the whole sheathe just rotates and the motor/bearing is still in the middle like a traditional fan.

• UberGerbil

[quote<]My guess is that the supports/bearings are around the perimeter of the "blades"[/quote<] Unlikely. (For why, see [url=http://www.dansdata.com/tmdfan.htm<]the Dan's Data revew[/url<] of the original TMD fan mentioned elsewhere in the comments.) I'd love to see a fan both supported and spun by magnets around the rim -- essentially an endless maglev. That truly would qualify as "revolutionary." It also likely would qualify as "hair-raisingly expensive." And don't get it too close to your hard drive...

• Bensam123

Yeah it would… it would be cool enough to impulse buy too (as long as it’s not too expensive). Makes you wonder why the people making fans everyday haven’t thought about doing it. :l