Next-gen MacBooks reportedly in production

Despite that Ivy Bridge delay Intel vaguely confirmed last month, Apple’s next-gen MacBooks may already in production, according to supply-chain sources quoted by DigiTimes earlier today.

The site reports that shipments of the systems to Apple will total 100,000 to 150,000 units this month. That number is expected to rise to 900,000 units "eventually." In spite of that, however, DigiTimes goes on to say Apple may not have Ivy Bridge-powered notebooks out the door any sooner than its competitors:

The availability of Apple’s new MacBook Pro might come at the same time non-Apple brands launch their new Ivy Bridge ultrabooks, the sources observed. New models from non-Apple brands were previously expected to hit market shelves earlier, which was seen as a good time to sell prior to Apple’s new product release, but have been postponed due to a revised shipping schedule for Ivy Bridge chips, according to the sources.

The story also echoes a rumor that’s been making the rounds lately: that upcoming MacBook Pro notebooks will look like the MacBook Air, with no optical drives and slim aluminum enclosures. With articles like these floating around and Intel being officially vague about Ivy Bridge launch timing, though, it’s hard to know exactly when the new machines will see the light of day.

• ronch

Everytime I compare my Lenovo G470 to Apple, I feel good about getting a Lenovo. For $550 I get a Core i5 2450, 4GB, 750GB and Switchable Graphics (Intel HD + HD6370M). Of course, an Apple fan will tell you that an Apple is an Apple, but you also pay 3x the price so there’s really nothing amazing about getting all that bling.

• internetsandman

In terms of laptops, an apple is far more than just a fancy PC laptop. I’ve yet to see any laptop match the build quality of a MBP, and very few laptop makers will provide competitive screen resolutions without going up into the MacBook-price-range. Yes, in terms of the basic hardware specs used to tick marketing boxes, your Lenovo does better by price, but considering I’ve accidentally dropped my MBP a couple times and it still works like it was brand new, im quite fond of the build quality of apple laptops

• Laykun

My Dell XPS 16 got hit by a car, and it still works fine. Your argument is invalid.

I’ve had equal amount of problems with Apple laptops as I have other brand of laptop maker. I manager the machines of a lab of about 30-40 people, so I have a decent sized sample.

• BIF

Hit by a car! Where is your lab, in a freeway median?

• beck2448

Its OSX that is the real difference. I have a Dell and a MBP 17″ which turns on from cold start to browser open in 10 seconds. I run ProTools with many plugins and it is 99% flawless. Windows ProTools is much more painful. I’ve tried.

• hiro_pro

i would buy one if you could right click 🙁

• mikehodges2

Two finger tap = right click 🙂

• End User

Most third party mice works just fine with OS X. My R.A.T. 9 even has OS X software.

• internetsandman

I used to use a R.A.T 7 with my MBA before the optics decided they were on LSD

• kamikaziechameleon

I would buy one if they put out descent windows drivers for their flipping touchpad. :^/

• TakinYourPoints

Two finger click on the trackpad registers as a right click, and any multibutton mouse works with OS X with no additional drivers. I’ve used five button mice with OS X since I started using it.

• sweatshopking

REPORTEDLY PRODUCING???! ACER AND HP REPORTEDLY PRODUCING NEW LAPTOPS TOO. NEWS STORY PLEASE.

• mcnabney

Can we just get a daily Apple update. Or maybe that isn’t enought? Twice daily should do it. I would hate to not be completely informed.

• kamikaziechameleon

This just in Apple has an R&D department and they R&D stuff. Go figure I thought these products were ejaculated for the brain of steve jobs himself.

• crabjokeman

[url<]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6599/welcomeuu.jpg[/url<]

• MadManOriginal

Troll on, brother, troll on.

• ronch

Logically, if you call him your brother, you’re also a troll, right? A troll’s bro is also a troll, after all. LOL.

• sweatshopking

yeah. we’re brothers. he’s actually my half brother. different fathers.

• kamikaziechameleon

I really wish their 13 inch pro had a discrete GPU and Quad core with 8 Gb of ram, who needs a disk drive.

• zdw

You can already put 8GB (or 16GB for about $200 aftermarket) in the current 13″ MBP.

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah but with a dual core its about as usefull as putting 18 wheels on a motorcycle engine. Ontop of that the Ram won’t be the limiting factor in any tasks but rather the CPU and lack of discrete GPU. The memory bump is a complete waste.

• internetsandman

“Ontop of that the Ram won’t be the limiting factor in any tasks but rather the CPU and lack of discrete GPU”

Right, so Ive got a ton of applications open, none of them are particularly graphically intensive, and none of them really eat up many CPU cycles, but there’s a lot of them open, I’m sure the lack of discrete GPU is what’s slowing down my word processor (if it’s possible for a word processor to lag with today’s hardware)

• OneArmedScissor

Seeing as Apple isn’t going to limit every single Pro they sell to the cheapo 2.1 GHz quad-core with a 35w TDP, I kind of doubt that they’ll really resemble the Air all that much.

Maybe that only applies to the 13″ model, since those don’t have a graphics card?

• kamikaziechameleon

Why the 13″ is called a pro when it basically ships with the same stats as a air while costing more money is beyond me.

• entropy13

For that is what the Word of the Holy Apple says, and so shall it be.

• demani

Some ports and an optical drive (plus upgradeable RAM).

• kamikaziechameleon

ok ok but how much does any of it really matter. 8 gb of ram on a dual core processor is pointless you’ll never have an app or combo of apps to use it, your processor is more than likely to be your bottleneck, heck your lack of discrete GPU is, lol.

• OneArmedScissor

It’s still there for the same reason that any company, in any industry, keeps obviously lower end models amongst a high end line:

To make the 15″ and 17″ flagship models look more appealing.

I’m sure it would have been gone by now if Intel had focused on improving ULV parts earlier on, instead of just playing catch up with Sandy Bridge. For now, it’s just kind of caught between worlds.

• smilingcrow

“8GB of ram on a dual core processor is pointless you’ll never have an app or combo of apps to use it”

That’s preposterous. I multi-task a lot and hit 5 to 6GB quite often. I rarely need much CPU power so even though I have a quad it was overkill and I knew it but wanted future proofing, the potential to O/C and better graphics; I have an i5-2500K.
            CPU and RAM requirements aren’t mutually dependent.

• Washer

You’re cockiness combined with your lack of knowledge makes me depressed.

• ImSpartacus

It costs [i<]less[/i<] than the MBA13 and it has better performance, longer battery life and a disk drive. It's not that puzzling...

• ImSpartacus

Cheapo 2.1GHz? If it turbos past 3GHz, that’s not ‘cheapo’.

• OneArmedScissor

It’s an OEM only part without a designated price, like the kind that currently ends up in $650 laptops.

So as far as i7 branded parts go, yes, cheapo.

And practically every IB CPU that has turbo at all goes past 3 GHz, including ULV parts, so the 3.1 GHz turbo with just one core, meaning it’s typically going to be [i<]under[/i<] 3 GHz, is not even remotely impressive.

• ImSpartacus

CPU World says it will do exactly 3.0GHz with two cores. Considering previous turbo speeds, it seems reasonable that the dual core speed is barely lower than the single core speed, which are both much higher than the quad core speed.

[url<]http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-3612QM%20Mobile%20processor.html[/url<] And it's an OEM part because only OEMs would want a cool running quad.