It’s official: HP to combine PC, printer divisions

Score another one for the rumor mill. HP has pretty much confirmed the early morning rumors, announcing an “organizational realignment” that will see the unification of its Personal Systems Group and Imaging and Printing Group. As expected, Executive VP Todd Bradley will head the combined business, while former printer chief Vyomesh Joshi is going to retire.

Now, since the move is official, we can hear HP explain the rationale for it in its own words:

Combining these two entities will rationalize HP’s go-to-market strategy, branding, supply chain and customer support worldwide. This will lead to a better customer experience and drive innovation across personal computing and printing. This realignment is expected to provide opportunities for cost savings and accelerate HP’s ability to pursue profitable growth and reinvest in the business.

Other than the cost saving part, that sounds awfully vague. I wouldn’t be surprised if an earlier draft of the announcement had “synergize efficiencies” somewhere in there, too.

Anyway, that’s not the only move HP is announcing today. As part of the same restructuring plan, HP says it will “unify its Marketing functions across business units.” The firm’s Communications staff will be “similarly unified,” as well. Those two moves are supposed to “create a more powerful voice to demonstrate the power of ‘One HP.'”

• fantastic

Too bad. HP used to make some decent laser printers. I’m sure that’s over now.

• 5150

Based on the CLJ CP6015xh we just got in, it’s definitely over. Good bye HP everything.

• blastdoor

I guess it will be easier to spin off both at the same time if they are in their own division. Then HP can become a software/services company.

• Squeazle

…So am I going to have to buy a new computer now rather than replacing my ink cartridges?

• UberGerbil

If they announced that part of this merger involved firing their entire software arm (or at least all the parts that are responsible for 1GB “drivers” and the like) I might actually find some reason to be optimistic this wasn’t something more than the re-arranging of deck chairs.

• riviera74

+5 for UberGerbil!

QFT on the software drivers issue! I hate HP drivers since they are so bloated. Then again, I use Epson printers for home use. HP notebooks are not that bad; desktops are OK (especially their Slimline models for everyday computing, not TR-audience level).

• BIF

I smell another bailout coming.

Hey! It’s been a couple years since the last one and this is an election year.

I can hear it now…”We must save the computer industry like we did the auto industry!”

• ShadowTiger

Sweet, this means desktops with built in printers, right? Imagine the innovation!

• BIF

Oh yeah, opportunities abound!

Combination desktop computer, monitor, printer, scanner, mouse, and keyboard, available at Brookstone stores for free when you purchase a combination iPad/massager/footwarmer/wine aerator.

What are you waiting for?

• Decelerate

At this point the faster they fall out of the PC market the faster an opponent can absorb it (and bloat, and fall?).

I however doubt they are stupid enough to lose their printing strength anytime soon. I doubt they are [b<]THAT[/b<] naive.

• chuckula

Great… now any PC from HP will leak $500/oz ink onto the floor for no reason and then refuse to boot up when the ink level drops below 75% full…. just what I always wanted!

Edit: I apologize to HP for stating that their ink only costs $500/oz when we all know it is vastly more expensive.

• ew

I bought a continuous ink system for my printer a couple months ago that was filled with 600ml of ink and it cost less than $60. Third party ink FTW!

• albundy

It’s unofficial: many jobs will be cut, but only after it’s officially ‘ficial!

• LiquidSpace

damn you HP, those assholes, they have killed Web OS blamed Palm for it. got paid by the Microsoft and Google and probably Apple to kill Web OS by releasing stupid 2.5 inch phone that naturally no one would care for. And they didn’t stop at that, they went ahead and released Web OS as an open source, as the final nail in the coffin.

• OneArmedScissor

Seriously TR, how is this guy [i<]still[/i<] not banned?

• sweatshopking

he’s worse than [i<] ME! [/i<]

man, that takes some concerted effort. 😉

• crabjokeman

You make a decent (albeit short) measuring stick by which we should judge all TR poster. Just like a sign that says, “You must be this tall to ride!” we should have a simple ssk comparison test determining whether one is allowed to have keyboard input.

• riviera74

In the face of iOS and Android, WebOS was not long for this world because nobody wanted to buy tablets and smartphones that use WebOS. Same thing with BlackBerry OS eventually.

Let it go, LiquidSpace.

• Mystic-G

Is this just a business end move or will this actually affect the consumer?

• superjawes

Business moves often have some sort of consumer effect…but this is mostly for the business from the looks of things. Trimming the organization and allocating resources.

• superjawes

I think I’m hearing some HP employees saying “abandon ALL the ships!”

Indeed.

“unify its Marketing functions across business units.”

Cue bullsh*t bingo:
      [url<]http://www.blog.jessicamalnik.com/2011/12/12/buzzword-bingo-12-words-that-need-to-die-in-2012/[/url<]

And once this is completed, it’ll just be “abandon ALL the ship!”

• crabjokeman

Now THAT’s efficiency!

• crabjokeman

It’s probably not that bad, but I’m willing to bet that some employees are using their résumés as test printing pages..

• superjawes

A printing joke…I am ashamed for not thinking of that myself…

• mattthemuppet

“innovation in personal printing” That’s an oxymoron, isn’t it? I thought the only R+D printing divisions did was on how to prevent customers from using aftermarket inks?

• OneArmedScissor

They’ve also invested heavily in new materials to replace mechanical parts, which seem to wear out faster and faster with each year’s “upgraded” model.

• Rageypoo

I remember laser and inkjet printers back in the 1990’s, and they broke down ALL the time, the simple truth is this; printers suck ass, they will always break, always.

• OneArmedScissor

I’m not disagreeing there, but the difference now is the prevalence of the all-in-one sort. They’re just tons of moving parts that are designed to wear out within only a few months.

It may not catch fire or stop turning on, but rest assured, it will develop some quirk just to irritate you into wanting to buy another one.

My favorite is when the feeder for scanning/copying/faxing just decides one day to start skipping pages. Ancient copiers don’t even do that!

• TO11MTM

I will say however, some printers of yesteryear were indeed built well. the HP PSC 500 comes to mind; over a decade of heavy use, and the only reason my father is retiring it is due to the lack of real windows vista/7 support for the parallel port model…

• mattthemuppet

that’s one of many reasons why I’d love to have my own little 3D printer. Not only would it be seriously cool, but it would also be a big finger(s) to planned obsolescence.

• Corrado

You could print parts to fix your low end 3d printer!

• helix

Yes you can. See reprap.org.