AMD completes SeaMicro buyout

Well, that was a quickie—as far as corporate mergers go, at least. Less than a month after going public with its plan to acquire high-density server maker SeaMicro, AMD has closed the deal.

The acquisition cost AMD a cool $334 million (including $293 million in cash). Now that the deal is done, what used to be SeaMicro will become AMD’s Data Center Server Solutions business unit. AMD says it will now "accelerate its strategy to deliver disruptive server technology and provide its customers serving Cloud-centric data centers with highly-differentiated AMD-based solutions beginning this year."

That’s a bit of a mouthful, but note the "this year" part.

For a more background information on the merger, be sure to check out Scott’s coverage from last month. The deal isn’t about AMD making servers; it’s about the company harnessing SeaMicro’s interconnect fabric and offering it to customers.

• TheMonkeyKing

Yay! They’ll be serving disruptors!
    [url<]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060309065040/memoryalpha/en/images/1/15/IRW_TMet_firing_disruptors.jpg[/url<]

• bcronce

Computing cluster in a box?

• maxxcool

“” Seamicro, now with 2x as many cores! “” fu amd…

• maxxcool

Downrate and hate all you want. if your a reader here you know damn well every time you see a fx-series advert for a “8 core processor” it still looses to a 2500k…. and cannot use more than 1 core per module at the same time….. and if you can only use half… that’s 4…. not 8…

• crabjokeman

[quote<]AMD says it will now "accelerate its strategy to deliver disruptive server technology and provide its customers serving Cloud-centric data centers with highly-differentiated AMD-based solutions beginning this year."[/quote<] I can't believe someone got paid to write that. AMD has more fat to trim in the marketing department 😉

• crabjokeman

Some g0ddamned useless marketing major downvoted me. Fsck you, buddy!

• Joe Miller

I think actually there are some people downvoting every opinion, no matter what. On new articles it is often to see only -1s :))

• flip-mode

It’s not that bad. What would you write? Really.

• maxxcool

The truth.. it is a grab ass move to try to nail some profits from a niche market since out flagship product is getting laughed at.

• BobbinThreadbare

I think this is more about getting some new tech for processor interconnects.

• ronch

What really concerns me about this deal is just how much AMD can gain from this acquisition, mainly how it will benefit its balance sheets long term, and the image it will give AMD with regards to the server space. In the end, customers care only about price/performance/watt and of course, reliability, so even if SeaMicro has the technology to help, it prolly wouldn’t make a world of difference if Bulldozer fails to spread its wings.

• BaronMatrix

This is slightly off-topic but I recently put together two G34 Opterons (8 and 12core) and one of them is for HyperV. Long story short, 2008 R2 still doesn’t support AMD’s AVX, so if they had released in 2009 with SSE5, they would have NO support for the functions of the chip. I have to turn off AVX to use HyperV. I’m going to try server 8 beta where the problem should be fixed.

• Deanjo

[url<]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2568088[/url<]

• WillBach

There are some questions regarding how long SeaMicro will sell servers with Intel processors, and what “in the meantime” means. I think what it means depends on what contracts the purchasers have signed with SeaMicro. AMD won’t move all of SeaMicro’s customers to AMD processors if it starts out by refusing to sell them the servers they’re already using, especially if that breaks long term supply / availability agreements.

Update: I just remembered the time NVIDIA bought ULI Electronics, when ULI (spelled ULi in marketing materials) was the only company making a USB 2.0 chip for AMD motherboards. AMD didn’t have any kind of long-term supply agreement with ULi and got screwed [b<]so hard[/b<]. There was a two-year period there where you couldn't get good USB 2.0 throughput on any AMD motherboard. Keep in mind that this was back when people were still excited for enthusiast motherboards and most games for PC did not start their lives on consoles, and most USB 2.0 controllers couldn't keep up with external hard drives. I guess I shouldn't complain too much. I'm playing Mass Effect 2 on my new system which has better graphics and a smaller price tag than my old one. And Mass Effect 2 is [b<]amazing[/b<], even it is available on consoles.

• ronch

I think if AMD asks Seamicro to stop shipping Intel servers, it could potentially peeve customers who know that AMD is the one behind the move. Not that it would dent AMD’s sales, because most IT folks are probably buying Intel in the first place anyway.

Ironic, isn’t it, that an AMD division is selling Intel servers? But business is business.

• Deanjo

“In the meantime, we will continue selling intel based high density servers….”

• chuckula

Yeah.. AMD has its pride, but it isn’t allergic to sales (and more importantly service contracts that pay the real money) either.

• Goty

Evidently you did not

[quote<]note the "this year" part.[/quote<]

• Deanjo

Evidently you do not understand “in the meantime”.

mean·time (mntm)
        n.
        The time between one occurrence and another; an interval.
        adv.
        During a period of intervening time; meanwhile.

• chuckula

Yeah.. additionally, there’s nothing in the press release that says that they are going to stop all Intel sales on the same day that the AMD solutions come out either. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a gradual phase-out that lasts into next year for the Intel systems.

• Goty

Actually, I’m just interpreting “in the meantime” as being an insignificant amount of time considering the speed with which they will be selling AMD products.

• NeelyCam

Link, or it’s not real.

• Deanjo

Meantime has no set value other then from one period of time to a point in the future, no interpretation needed.

“Dinner is later today, in the meantime I will get some work done.”

It really isn’t that hard of a concept to grasp.

• Goty

You’re right, and neither is my argument. I guess you’re too blinded by those blue-tinted glasses you’re so fond of to see that, though.

• Deanjo

LMFAO, my last intel processor was an 8088-2 FYI (which was swapped out for an NEC V20).

NEC V20—>Ti 486sx—>Cyrix-6×86 P120+–> AMD K6-2 –> K6-3 –> K7-600 –> K7-850 –> K7-1.7 —> K7-2.4 —> Athon 64 -3200 —> X2-4200 —> X2-6400 —>9850—>955 BE—>1090T

The only other thing that I have bought from intel is a NIC.

You foot is so far into your mouth it is coming back out the other end bulging out of your AMD underwear.

BTW, I did note it since I know that there is a period where they will still be selling intel.

• Goty

<– Clearly an AMD fanboy with two of his three current systems running Intel processors. You really showed me, champ.

• Deanjo

Even the diehards eventually submit to defeat when left with no other option.

• NeelyCam

Goty doesn’t recognize his defeat. Ever. Even when it’s undisputable.

Because he’s a physicist, and they are always right. I know. I watch Big Bang Theory.

• Goty

You’ve got to prove me wrong, which you have yet to do. Don’t worry, you’ll have plenty more attempts; I’m not going anywhere.

• ludi

“In the meantime, we will refrain from burning down our existing designs, customer relationships, and service agreements until an orderly transition can be achieved…”

• chuckula

My God… it’s full of Buzzwords!

• bitcat70

… and before the end of this year will be full of Bulldozers!

• Deanjo

Don’t forget that when it comes to AMD’s processor division, 1 year usually = 18 months.

• bitcat70

Oh, noes… that division is surrounded by negative Moore’s Law RDF!!! Poor Bulldozer got pulled into it!!!

• destroy.all.monsters

Welcome to the Rory Read era.

Oh and +1

• CuttinHobo

My paradigm is shifting without a clutch!

• Arclight

My God, it’s full of stars! [s<](+1 if you get the reference).[/s<] Nobody guessed it [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oALxLNOhI6I[/url<]

• Mourmain

Logged in just to downvote you.

• Arclight

Sci-fi hater….

• BobbinThreadbare

I downvoted you for asking for +1s

• Arclight

I said i would give +1 to who guesses…..

If i was to ask i would have said “Thumbs up if…”

• BobbinThreadbare

Well you weren’t very clear, but I can’t change my vote now.

• maxxcool