Steve Jobs movie to star Ashton Kutcher as Jobs

Love him or hate him, there’s no question that Steve Jobs had an extraordinary career, an extraordinary life, and an untimely death that was met by a global outpouring of grief. So, of course someone was going to cash in and make a movie. According to Variety, Two and a Half Men co-star Ashton Kutcher will play the late Mr. Jobs in an indie film titled simply, Jobs:

The film will chronicle Steve Jobs from wayward hippie to co-founder of Apple, where he became one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of our time.
Five Star Institute’s Mark Hulme is financing and will produce the pic, which is skedded to start production in May while Kutcher is on hiatus from his hit CBS series.

Given the time stamp on this story, I’ll forgive you for being a tad dubious. But author Jeff Sneider is adamant on his Twitter feed that this is no April Fool’s joke. Also, Kutcher looks like a young Steve Jobs for sure. The guys at The Verge have put together a good comparison shot that makes it clear.

If the movie is indeed in the works, then it will be the second picture about the illustrious Apple co-founder. The first, a made-for-TV flick called Pirates of the Silicon Valley, came out in 1999 and starred Noah Wyle (of ER fame) as Jobs. The whole movie leaked out on YouTube a while back. It’s a fun watch, if you don’t mind Bill Gates being demonized as the villain of the story.

• brunascle

[quote<]if you don't mind Bill Gates being demonized as the villain of the story.[/quote<] They were both demonized, and rightly so. Bill Gates came off as a conniving backstabber and Steve Jobs came off as a self-centered, ego-maniacal douchebag.

• moose17145

steve jobs was good at seeing what would set trends in computing… i am not going to dispute that… but i honestly cannot think of a single idea that apple came out with that was actually something they invented. The iPod was far from the first MP3 player, the iPhone was hardly the first Smart Phone, they did not invent the GUI, or even the tablet (seriously the tablet is an OLD OLD idea… anyone who watched star trek can tell you this… ). Where i am going with this… is it amazes me how other people gave just as much of their lives to computing, if not more… and yet no one even remembers them….

This picture basically sums up what i mean…

[url<]http://imgcache.ifans.com/forums/imgcache3/dccbe44320f8aa1849057fd3d13ffd99.png?orig_url=http://mthruf.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/job-fails-ritchie-didnt-wear-enough-turtlenecks.jpg[/url<]

• mutarasector

You mean like Dennis Ritchie, the man whose shoulders Steve Jobs stood on?

• sweatshopking

no he doesn’t. that’s why he linked to a picture of him, cause he didn’t mean him 😛

• mutarasector

Serves me right for not actually checking his link before posting what I did. 🙂

I stand corrected.

• sweatshopking

lol! it happens to the best of us!

• albundy

well, the profiles definitely match. This imdb link proves it!

[url<]http://www.imdb.com/list/7RBbx50tXIQ/[/url<]

• link626

hollywood has run out of actors to hire.

• mutarasector

I first dismissed this story after reading about it here: [url<]http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052143/[/url<] Note the date of the article.

• clone

has Ashton Kutcher even been a bankable actor?

I know he did well on that 70’s show but his movie resume is weak at best and despite all the effort put into 2 1/2 men he’s killing that show.

from this he is supposed to be the guy who can do the best Steve Jobs?

he does look the part but while I have nothing against Ashton Kutcher I believes he’s no more than a glorified Keanu Reeves who’s success will be limited only to roles that suit him perfectly…… appearance is only one part of the equation and Kutcher isn’t Steve Jobs in personality.

I’ll assume it’s a joke and if not I suspect the movie will be a bad one.

• I.S.T.

2 and a half Men’s first season with Kutcher was its most successful, so I dunno about killing it.

• clone

sorry for the edits been finding more and more as I go but according to CBS the show is sliding rapidly and is not more successful going from 29 million viewers at the season opener down to 17 million November and now down to 11.5 million as of last week so while the average is high it got a season opener bump from all the drama and has been falling ever since.

[url<]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2048725/Ashton-Kutcher-Two-And-A-Half-Men-hit-huge-ratings-slump.html[/url<] [url<]http://news.yahoo.com/ashton-kutcher-blame-two-half-mens-ratings-drop-120600542.html[/url<] quote: Don't "expect CBS to cut Two and a Half Men anytime soon," says Andre Tartar at New York. But Kutcher's future could be in doubt. The actor is only signed to a one-year contract. If the ratings continue to fall, "the network may have real reason" to cut ties with Kutcher as of November 24th 2011.... have things changed dramatically? on a side note when asking friends about the show they just role their eyes and said they stopped watching it... that was before Xmas, I never saw the season opener and was curious last year because of all the publicized drama which is why I asked.

• markymark5005

Steve Jobs movie to star Ashton Kutcher as Jobs.

And tom cruise to star as kurt cobain…. UGH

[url<]http://goo.gl/Lc0j4[/url<]

• eitje

Welcome to Tech Report!

I notice you joined just a few weeks ago. So, while I appreciate your joining in the conversation, I don’t think I’m going to click on a redirector link that you post.

• moose17145

Interestingly the link actually links to a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD on Amazon… Not entirely sure what that has to do with the topic of Steve Jobs or the movie that is being made about him…. but also not entirely sure I care to argue considering the M4 is a rather solid drive (no pun intended).

• NeelyCam

He works for Crucial; they have an all-on anti-Vertex marketing blitz going right now.

• Bensam123

It’s kinda ridiculous that anything posted about Apple around here gets an immediate 50 replies. This movie sounds like a yawn fest, just like that movie about Matt Zuckerberg (forgot what it’s called). It wont even be worth watching unless HBO decides to take up the series and turns it into a sort of documentary like Band of Brothers… They could call it Band of Geeks. Add in some drama, some 1950s style tommiguns, the mob, and Bill gates and it’s good to go. Something tells me this is just going to be an emotional flick preying on nostalgia and liking.

• internetsandman

I can understand not liking Apple, I can even understand hating them for some of their business practices, but this level of animosity to not only Apple but Steve Jobs personally blows my mind. Some people are acting as if Apple and Jobs personally destroyed their favourite toys as a child or something. Yes, Apple is rather selfish, yes, it’s overpriced (in some markets/categories), and yes, some of their marketing/business strategies are questionable, however, that seems to be all that gets focused on.

Hardly anyone who’s displaying this intense hatred of Apple seems to realize just what they’ve done for the industry. First, the iPhone, whether or not you liked it then or like it now, you can’t deny it revolutionized the existing smartphone market, with the App store, the capacitive touchscreen, etc. Smartphones today are copying a general formula that Apple provided because it works, and it works well. Same with the iPad. Yes, the tablet market already existed, but how many of you would have bough one if it wasn’t for Apple redefining what a tablet could and should be able to do? Yes, other companies have added more innovation, namely ASUS, but Apple again got the ball rolling for the market. Ultrabooks are another area where Apple took an existing idea (thin and light without sacrificing too much performance) and came up with a platform that met all of those ideals, and THEN the PC market had to adapt to keep up. Now Apple is pushing the PC market into finally adapting and using high-resolution displays, a market which you cannot den has stagnated for much too long.

Hate Apple all you want, I can see most of your reasoning and even agree with some of it, but at least realize and admit that they’ve done a lot to improve the hardware that comes out of their competitors.

• Xenolith

Jobs & Apple were a lovable underdog. Power corrupts… and turns you into a jerk fairly quickly.

I hated Microsoft when they were a powerful bully. I’m fine with them now that their power is in check. So a total flip-flop for me.

• sweatshopking

people react to the bizarre obsession and idolizing a man who makes toys. it’s bizarre, and many people find the hero worship of a man who had such disdain for humanity, nm his pathological lying/stealing/cheating to be offensive.

• Coulda

The problem many ppl have with Jobs getting adoration and praise is moral one. Whether the man deserves hero status because he was technically and commercially successful if his personality was abrasive and abusive. It reveals something about ‘consumerist culture’ where CEO is worshiped, despite his flaws, for bringing products that satisfied their reptilian desire to buy next best shiny toys.

Many see bigger questions about if CEOs are becoming democratically elected societal leaders (voting by means purchasing). Many are happy to indulge in consumerism but all the ‘hate’ may actually means that enough people are socially conscious. They’re asking moral questions.

• tootercomputer

Okay, there was The Social Network that followed the rise of Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. I’m trying to recall other movies about real-life CEOs, any CEOs. Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator. I cannot think of any others right off.

So what is this movie going to be about? Watch Steve and Woz build the first Apple in the garage, then Steve ripping off the Woz? Who will play the Woz? Follow Steve start NexT and then Pixar, then go back to Apple? Steve announcing the iPod? The iPad? How boring. Will they focus on his personal life?

A movie about a CEO, albeit a successful one, but still, a movie about a CEO. How do you make this interesting? There will have to be a lot of emphasis on what a jerk he could be to put some drama into this. But bottom line, this is a movie about a CEO.

Good luck Ashton.

• dpaus

[quote<]I cannot think of any others right off[/quote<] [i<]Tucker: The Man & His Dream[/i<] and my personal favourite, [i<]Wall Street[/i<] (the original, of course) And then, as long as we're leaving 'strictly reality' behind, [i<]Startup.com Boiler Room The Hudsucker Proxy The Godfather[/i<] (I and II, certainly [i<]not[/i<] III) [i<]Jerry Maguire Blow It's A Wonderful Life[/i<] Who's got others? EDIT: Oh, maybe [i<]Glengarry Glen Ross[/i<]? Or [i<]The Big Kahuna[/i<]?? Or how about either [i<]Save the Tiger[/i<] or even [i<]China Syndrome[/i<], with Jack Lemmon filling in for the the absent CEO in either?

• BobbinThreadbare

Citizen Cain
        Robocop (kindof)
        Mad Men (not a movie, but still)
        There Will be Blood

I feel like there are ton of “small business owner vs huge corporation movies we’re forgetting”

• adam1378

I read the Steve Jobs biography and I have to respect what he has accomplished in his lifetime. I am not a fan of the Apple environment but Steve had his visions and went through with it. Not everything was perfect but it moved masses and made the technology trendy. Well done.

• Coulda

“Bill Gates being demonized as the villain of the story”
    Perhaps…but Jobs didn’t come off very good either. It showed him as egomaniac and sociopath. I lost any respect (not that I had any for either of them) for him for having a jerk of a personality. Eventual winner is still Gates. Though Jobs redeemed himself later, he lost bigger fight with MS. Apple brand is alive because MS let them (just like Intel is keeping AMD alive). It’s necessary to keep your competitor alive and weak rather than kill it which invites dreaded government intervention with ensuing anti-trust law suit headaches.

The one thing I realized from that movie is that neither man invented anything. They bought them from others to pass off as their own or stole from each other.

• VILLAIN_xx

ashton. kutcher. :-/

• ronch

Pirates of Silicon Valley is one of my favorite movies, as much for its portrayal of Steve and Bill as it does for reminiscing the 70’s. I hope this new movie will be entertaining as well as informative.

• entropy13

Hail to the Almighty! Long Live Our Lord Steve Jobs!

Hopefully this movie would further cement the beliefs of the Apple faithful, and sway the heretics and non-believers away from the wrong path. True enlightenment can only be achieved through the teachings of the Holy Apple and Our Lord Steve Jobs.

EDIT: lol my IP got PERMABANNED over here at TR. For “spamming”…lol

Is this post the one they’re talking about? LOL

• Farting Bob

I wonder, will the movie show him as a Jesus-like figure? Will the body of Jobs ascend to Heaven while his disciples preach about him?

• trackerben

Unlikely. Steve Jobs left religion early when he had no money, his followers usually get the religion when they have lots. That’s the reverse of the biblical story, Jesus reportedly got religion when he had nothing, his followers usually leave the religion when they have lots.

• entropy13

Gonna paraphrase someone’s post regarding the topic in another forum…

Looks like he’s gonna be hit by Android tablets, made to wear a crown of Android phones and made to carry a large iPad.

• Left_SHifted

I can see Ashton Kutcher as the hippie, but can he portrait the visionary/ corporate bad ass that job was ….guess we’ll see

• Vivaldi

I thought The Butterfly Effect was actually quite good.

I haven’t seen much of Kutcher’s work since then, therefore I’ll be keeping an open mind.

• Ricardo Dawkins

The Hollywood Report…PC Hardware explored.

• Kurotetsu

[quote=”Cyril Kowaliski”<] --and an untimely death that was met by a global outpouring of grief. [/quote<] I don't really have a problem with Steve Jobs or Apple, but this still blows my mind. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined a 'global outpouring of grief' for a billionaire corporate executive. Especially nowadays with the whole Occupy/99% movement which has basically turned such people into enemies of the state in the minds of many.

• shank15217

He was a ‘successful’ executive that made billions for his company via legal means and shrewd business strategies. Its sad that you can’t tell the difference between Apple and Enron.

• sweatshopking

what’s the difference, besides what they sell?

• superjawes

Legal means? He didn’t leverage cash against the US Government to get corporate welfare? He didn’t crash his company and ask the US taxpayer to bail him out?

Protesting influence =/= protesting wealth.

• dpaus

[quote<]Protesting influence =/= protesting wealth[/quote<] a subtlety that was completely lost on 99.99% of the 99% protesting.

• BobbinThreadbare

Really, you talked to each person to find this out?

• dpaus

Touche; OK, it’s a subtlety that was completely lost on every single one of the 7 or 8 protestors I talked to at the Toronto camp.

• BobbinThreadbare

Sorry if that came across as a nitpick, but it really irritates me when a group of people come together and try to get some kind of political change to happen and are just mocked and ridiculed.

• dpaus

No apology required; it was a legitimate point. And I should clarify that I wholeheartedly support the fundamental issues of the Occupy movement; I sincerely worry that the growing gap between rich and poor can only lead to social chaos. However, I despair that the banner is being carried by counter-culture hipsters who recognize a bad situation when they see it, but are unable to propose even vaguely realistic policy alternatives. Far too many of those at the Toronto encampment were self-proclaimed anarchists whose sole desire was to ‘stick it to the wealthy, man!!’

• sweatshopking

as opposed to the wealthy toronotonians who were self proclaimed “free marketers” who’s sole desire was to ‘stick it to the lazy poor’. 😀

• Vasilyfav

That’s because it’s a subtlety that’s completely false.

Wealth = influence, whether you like it (or refuse to accept it) or not.

• sweatshopking

as long as we’re not confusing legality, and morality, i suppose i can agree with your statement. I’m not attacking apple particularly, i feel it’s an issue that’s shared across a great many industries. I don’t personally give a rats ass what’s “legal”. it’s what’s right that’s important. Apple and enron both have problems that need to be worked on.

• superjawes

Both have problems, yes, but the issue here was the issue of the Occupy/99% movement, which specifically focuses on the morality of using wealth to abuse legal systems.

So on that line of thinking, Apple hasn’t really done anything wrong. If we talk about manufacturing conditions…well that’s another story worthy of discussion.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]I don't personally give a rats ass what's "legal". it's what's right that's important.[/quote<] Amen. Many things are legal now only because corporate lobby has paid for them to be legal.

• destroy.all.monsters

If I could have plus one thousand times that comment of ssk’s I would.

• Cuhulin

One of the things that gets missed in discussing Jobs as a billionaire is that he didn’t make most of that money at Apple. Much of his wealth came from the sale of Pixar to Disney.

• torquer

Thats because the Occupy movement is part of the same hypocrisy.

Income level, social demographic, race, political ideology, religion != righteousness.

Being poor doesn’t make you a great person by default any more than being rich does.

Humanity has never and will never learn that lesson.

• Kraft75

[quote<]...if you don't mind Bill Gates being demonized as the villain of the story.[/quote<] Thanks for the laugh Cyril! 😀

• PrincipalSkinner

I’m kinda irritated with people idolizing Steve Jobs. Not to mention that I’m irritated by Ashton Kutcher.
    Not my kind of movie I guess. I won’t even bother firing up utorrent for this.

• l33t-g4m3r

Couldn’t agree more. I find anything involving Steve repugnant. The world is a better place, and perhaps people can now move on past Apple, or Apple could become a normal company that isn’t about a personality cult and ripping people off. Fads fade away, good riddance.

• NeelyCam

The world is a better place now because of him

• sweatshopking

The world is a better place because of millions, no wait, billions of people

• 5150

Glad we got the obligatory Apple post out of the way early today.

• Trident Troll

I can’t believe people are complaining about a movie being made about Jobs instead of complaining about Ashton Kutcher still getting acting work.

• Xylker

Plus 100. +++++++ etc.

Marrying Demi was a pretty solid career move, eh?

• quarantined

Not only that, I think [url=http://images.wikia.com/en.futurama/images/1/14/David_Herman.jpg<]David Herman[/url<] is a far better match, but I guess it takes an a**hole to correctly portray an a**hole.

• Corrado

He looks more like Gates than Jobs.

• superjawes

Does anyone know if they offered the role to Bruce Willis or Charlie Sheen first?

• NeelyCam

Let the thumbdowns rain, but I though Kutcher did an impressive job in The Butterfly Effect.. I think he can be a good actor, but this dudewheresmytwoandahalfmen wackiness is his brand.

I think we might end up being surprised by the depth of his Steve Jobs impersonation.

• torquer

He’s a douchebag of the highest order. Its like he was created as a DARPA project for just how much of a dbag one human could possibly be.

• chuckula

Who? Kutcher or Jobs?

• 5150

Both?

• torquer

Either way it should garner some thumbs up!

• NeelyCam

No – chuckula deserves those upthumbs for that one.

• NeelyCam

No – that’s Dick Cheney. He was even named based on that.

• lilbuddhaman

They already made a movie about him:
    [url<]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096061/[/url<] (Except the ending)

• flip-mode

Hard to believe Bill Murray was young once.

• Grigory

Hehe, nice! 😀

• odizzido

Steve jobs is making money from the grave. Spooky.

• dpaus

<shrug> Tell him to get behind Elvis.

• Grigory

I didn’t know Elvis swung that way. Or should I say swayed?

• tanker27

“Tower this is Ghostrider, requesting flyby”

• Vaughn

You mean like elvis has been doing for the last 50 years?

• chuckula

And the movie will be called: Dude! Where’s my iPhone!

• can-a-tuna

I left mine in the iStore.

• dpaus

I left mine in the bar, but it’s OK, it’s just a pre-production prototype I’ve been trying out anyway. All my [i<]real[/i<] data's on my BB.

• Silus

No, it will be called “You’re seeing it wrong!”

• LocalCitizen

a voice from byond the grave: “You’re acting it wrong!”

• Sargent Duck

What makes Jobs story anymore interesting than Warren Buffet’s, or Micahel Dell’s, Mark Cuban’s, the Waltons, Larry Page, Jeff Bezo’s or any other billionaire who had a good idea or saw an oppurtunity and ran with it?

I guess a movie about Bill Gates would be boring, all it’d be showing is the billions Bill Gates gives away to charity and how he helps give vaccines to third world nations [url<]http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2011/11/02/the-second-coming-of-bill-gates/[/url<]

• sweatshopking

quit being such a baby. bill gates isn’t sexy like steve is. Drug use, denying children, getting fired, etc. he’s way more interesting than bill. Plus, aid is boring. that’s why canada just cut our aid by 400 million.
      wtf. why the negative votes?

• Silus

Spot on, but people really only like movies about assholes that they would ignore or hate in real life. And whoever makes movies/series knows this. Just look at the success of House MD. The main guy is the stereotypical person that EVERYONE would hate or couldn’t stand in real life, yet in the series he’s “loved” by the masses given how successful the show has been.

Making a movie about someone that has proved to be someone that at least cares about anything other than his/her own belly button, would flop big time!

• BobbinThreadbare

Well to be fair, those guys aren’t dead yet.

• Arclight

[quote<]....where he became one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of our time.[/quote<] Oh please.....like the man came up with all the ideas....if it's true why wasn't he the only employee? Clrealy he could do everything himself....

• Corrado

If he should be trivialized, why did the company go down the crapper when he was forced out? Why has NO ONE been able to replicate his successes?

• Arclight

He was a good CEO, nobody is taking that away from him, but that said it’s not normal to idolize the Chief Executive Officer of a company….

Also if we were to value someone that made lots of money there are/were people far more succesfull financially than Mr. Jobs. Like Mr. Gates for example or the other people in top 10 Forbes. But frankly i don’t share none of those feelings….and imo that’s a normal attitude.

But allegedly it’s a free world so do what you must to make it through the day, even if that means lighting candles next to the pictures of wealthy men.

• dpaus

[quote<]it's not normal to idolize the Chief Executive Officer of a company....[/quote<] It's also not normal to camp out on a sidewalk for 4 days just to be the first person to give a company your money in exchange for a shiny new bauble you're only buying because it has a certain image on it, but Jobs inspired people to do that. That alone is probably worth a movie. Yes, Gates was able to do it with Windows 95, and maybe one or two other products. Jobs did it with virtually every consumer product they made.

• Arclight

[quote<]It's also not normal to camp out on a sidewalk for 4 days just to be the first person to give a company your money in exchange for a shiny new bauble you're only buying because it has a certain image on it, but Jobs inspired people to do that. [/quote<] That's not "inspiration", it's marketing and guess what, he did it for the money. You talk as if he cured cancer or something..... Edit. And since i was talking about ilnesses and curing them, how much of Apple's tech has been used in any medical equipment? Oh wait that was too boring for them.....Perhaps in servers? Nope wait, not there either.....Perhaps in supercomputers? No? So where did Mr. Jobs and Apple brought anything to the market? Oh that's right, to the households, to help them spend relaxing times with the familly and friends. Truelly noble of him/them.

• superjawes

[quote=”Arclight”<]You talk as if he cured cancer or something.....[/quote<] Dude...that's cold...

• Arclight

It wasn’t even intentional……i just chose a serious illness but i didn’t realize at that moment he died because of that.

But my point still stands.

• ImSpartacus

Gates was a great force back in the 90s, but he doesn’t hold a candle to Jobs and his charisma.

Steve Jobs was a force to be reckoned with. He made Apple better than the sum of its parts. That’s a pretty big deal. You could put all those talented engineers in a room and they would do good work, but Jobs made them do [i<]great[/i<] work. Don't expect me to be able to explain it. No one knows how he did what he did.

• superjawes

Marketing.

Mystery solved.

• Kharnellius

You honestly believe Marketing is all Apple has going for it?

• superjawes

When the next revolutionary product is….an updated version of an old product, yes, much of it has to do with marketing, or a more general communication of style over substance.

There might be other factors there, but that’s the driving force.

• NeelyCam

You can’t say that iPhone didn’t revolutionize things. Or iPad for that matter. And only a small portion of their success should be attributed to marketing – it was mostly due to design.

The situation is a bit different now, of course, with each new iPhone being merely an incremental improvement over the previous one.

• superjawes

No one ever did touch screens before iPhone? Or smartphones before iPhone? Were there no tablets before the iPad?

This isn’t something exclusive to Apple. Usually the people who are most successful are using someone else’s work or ideas, but are able to package it so that it’s eaten up. Henry Ford didn’t invent the automobile, but he is probably the single most influential person in the automotive industry because he figured out how to make a lot of them…cheap.

The phenomenon that is the iPhone has a lot to do with Apps now (but that’s pretty wide accross platforms, too), but outside of that, there’s not a lot of amazing engineering going on. The wheel isn’t getting re-invented, sliced bread is still the greatest thing since sliced bread, but when the next iPhone is released, they will be packed around the block waiting for it.

Go back to ImSpartacus’s comment. How did Jobs make Apple the force it is today without groundbreaking technology? It’s the Apple culture he managed to sell.

• BobbinThreadbare

iPhones pushed capacitive screens into the mainstream market. Before that I only remember seeing resistive ones.

• NeelyCam

1) iPhone got rid of most keys on a phone, making more room for a bigger screen.
            2) Capacitively controlled multi-touch screens. (I had a crappy Samsung not-so-smart phone back then with a resistive touchscreen, and it really sucked)
            3) iPhone really started the app craze – apps are the [b<]KEY[/b<] reason why smartphones became so popular. The idea of apps is "wide across platforms" now because others copied it from Apple. 4) Revolutionary phone OS that was superior to anything out there at that time. How is that not revolutionary? And none of those are marketing-related, except maybe 3). I sort of understand Apple-hate. Some people hate success, and some others hate anything that they don't have. Me - I've never had an iPhone, and probably never will, but I still think iPhone was a revolutionary product.

• Nocturin

The hardware was not a revolution.

1) I miss those keys. Now I have to look at my phone to do something that I could’ve done before without.
            2) multi-touch is the key here, not capacitive.
            3) the iphone would’ve been nothing without the app craze, just another bada.
            4) this is totally your opinion.

If it wasn’t for the app store, apple would’ve gone somewhere else.

It’s all marketing.

• NeelyCam

1) I don’t. That one row of Android keys is more than enough for me.
            2) They both are improvements.
            3) It introduced the app craze; this is part of the iPhone revolution.
            4) What is your opinion? Do you think another phone OS was better back then?

5) How is it “all marketing”, when nobody else had multitouch, huge screen, superior OS or apps?

• Bensam123

Lets count to ten now… One… Twooo… ThaRee… Fouur… fIAve…

You guys could just drop the numbers at this point at having a normal conversation in paragraph form.

The iPhone didn’t revolutionize things. I would agree with Noturin. It started a craze, most definitely, mixed with a ridiculously hardcore viral marketing campaign that converted people to their religion. The idea of ‘apps’ is just another buzzword. Applications existed on phones far before Apple ever introduced them… like a calculator for instance. Apple just went out of their way to box and market them in a way that made consumers think they were getting more when they were getting the same thing.

I can’t say if there would be app stores right now if apple didn’t do it though. Usually line of thought ideas like this are stumbled upon by numerous people at the same time, it’s just a race to see who gets it out the door first. All their decisions since then like the increase to PPI also isn’t all that revolutionary, but when cellphone makers aren’t even smart enough to improve their products in a simple way like that it has to make you wonder what exactly would happen if someone doing simple things didn’t exist in the first place.

I wouldn’t consider any of Apples products ingenious or revolutionary besides their marketing. I would say their products have a lot of common sense put into them, but that’s something that should be done in general. Ingenious or revolutionary is like finding the technology to hard wire their phone into your brain.

Take for instance the iPhone 4s, which has heavily touted voice activation, like it never existed in the first place, but they make it seem like they’re the first ones doing anything remotely close to it and the voice still sounds like a robot (by design?).

• sweatshopking

I agree it was a revolutionary product, and there were a few of them. THAT BEING SAID, anyone who gives credit to engineers for the success of apple is insane. Sorry neely, but engineering doesn’t really sell. apples products ARE great, but they’re not that much better than the competition that often retails for far less(exceptions exist, ipad, etc). AT FIRST they should sell like crazy, then cool down, like is normal for most businesses, as competition moves in. THAT’S normal, and apple hasn’t seen that happen, despite the marginal quality advantage they enjoy. toyota has never achieved the market share they have despite making some of the best quality cars in the world. engineering doesn’t win you the market share that apple enjoys.

I think people misunderstand the impact marketing has. there is a reason apple has the most powerful brand in the world. it’s not because of innovation. it’s because almost every single tv show uses apple computers. almost every celebrity uses iphones. the campaign of “if you don’t own an iphone, you don’t own an iphone” is extremely powerful. Don’t misunderestimate (teehee) marketers. they’re most of the magic.

• NeelyCam

Don’t misunderestimate product engineering. If Apple products were sh*t, they wouldn’t sell no matter how much money Apple spent on the RDF.

Once that Lumia 900 marketing blitz begins, we’ll see how (mis)placed your trust on marketing really is.

• Bensam123

I don’t consider having an intuitive menu or a menu that keeps up an engineering marvel. They have what should be done in the first place, it doesn’t got above or beyond what is expected of the product. I suppose it shows how much other device makers have slipped up. Apple finds a niche that they can flaunt how awesome they are and they rip it open with a crowbar.

Tablets for instance… No ones singing ridiculous praise about Apples mp3 player, laptop, or computers anymore… It’s just certain products that they know they can generate craptons of buzz with.

• Arclight

[quote<]Don't misunderestimate product engineering[/quote<] Are you related to George Bush Jr. by any chance?

What a sad sarcdet fail

• Arclight

I said that because you said misunderstimate which is the same mistake George W Bush made in a public announcement or something. Clearly he meant to say misunderstood and/or underestimated but end up combining the 2 words.

• sweatshopking

he was just copying what i said, and i said it as a joke referencing bush.

• Bensam123

Sarcdet?

Sarcasm detection

• sweatshopking

I do agree that quality engineering is important, but I think that “quality” marketing is what maintains apples position and keeps much of their sales going. its the “magic”. Personally, i’m pretty much against marketing, i think it’s corrupting much of society, but i think in this case, it’s largely responsible, for good or evil, for the massive sales success apple has. every news story gets a bijillion hits, every rumor gets a bijillion stories. this is the machine that keeps the iphones moving, not the slightly faster a5, IMO. obviously, feel free to disagree, you’re an intelligent woman, and i respect your opinion. In the case of the lumia, they could spend all the money, but since they don’t have the “every story/rumor” aspect, it’ll be nowhere near. how many iphone 5 rumors have we seen?

• superjawes

I feel like you said everything I was trying to say. Apple engineering is good, but pretty conservative. You’re not going to see Macs curing cancer (sorry for stealing that cold phrase), you’re going to see them do alright with computing and rope people in with fancy logos.

I also want to add that I am happy with my iPhone, but I understand that there are other smarphones with more interesting features and roughly equivalent apps.

• Bensam123

You never respect my opinions in that way SSK :'(

• sweatshopking

well, sometimes i think you just like to bug me. I’ve even thought you were one of he -‘ing bro’s Me and tiff are kindred spirits, and tbh, bensam, i find that generally you’re rather intelligent, and even though we don’t always agree, i think you’re quite a clever man! I DO respect you, but we haven’t had the “friendship” me and neely have. I’d be cool to have it though <3

• Bensam123

Clever dancing… I personally just thought it’s cause I don’t have a vag, but I suppose that works too. 😀

• sweatshopking

we’re bros! YAY!!! now we have to plus and back up each other FOREVER.

• Bensam123

lol, thanks SSK… just trying to convert you back. Don’t become one of Neelys mindless minions. I know it’s hard sometimes. *hugs*

• sweatshopking

neely is at risk of becoming one of MY minions. My powers of seduction are incredible…

mmmm….. <3

• Bensam123

That’s always what it seems like in the beginning…

• Bensam123

I believe indoctrinated was the word I was looking for here. Thanks Mass Effect for improving my vocabulary.

• Bensam123

Interesting, I’d be inclined to agree with most of what SSK said.

• Corrado

The thing Steve did, not because of marketing or engineering, is that he picked out the things the engineers came to him with that would ACTUALLY be useful for people. The engineering quality and idea people are roughly the same. The thing Apple had was someone that knew when to say ‘no, this is shit. its not going into the product.’ Seems like so many of the Asian manufacturers don’t when to say ‘no’ to a feature. They’ll make big compromises to usability in order to get a feature into a product that no one is going to use much anyways, so the compromises are kinda worthless.

• sweatshopking

I don’t disagree, i’m not just not sure that requires such idol worship.

• Vaughn

Weak minded people need someone to follow its been happening on this planet forever!

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t think that’s it.

If I had to describe what Steve Job’s great quality was, I’d say he made complex technology enjoyable to use for regular people. That doesn’t mean easier or faster, but they like using Apple interfaces in a way no one likes using a terminal (even though it’s more powerful) or Windows (even though I personally find it more logically organized).

• travbrad

Yeah Apple is nowhere now that he’s gone.

• clone

correction, the company was going down the crapper before he was pushed out, it was going down the crapper which is why he was pushed out, then he failed for 20 years until a company he didn’t know how to use became successful because of John Lassiter… a year prior to Toy Story (while it was being made) Steve was getting desperate to sell it and offering it up to anyone interested because he didn’t know how to use it or what it was good for.

after Toy Story he hung onto it because it was a success not because he made it a success, Pixar and John Lassiter without Steve Jobs help made Steve Successful like NEXT was never going to and after Steve had so much money and notoriety he was welcomed back into Apple like a Guru based on his brand name.

going forward Pixar was John Lassiter’s success story with Steve being the silent partner while raking in coin, from this point forward Steve had the influence and power to move forward despite the industry.

music piracy was rampant and Steve stated the obvious while having the strength of will to impose his reality on the music industry… Ipod and the Itunes music store were a success in an online music industry where the bar was set so low that 1000 songs sold legally was a bonafide success, ever after the success of Ipod it was still Pixar that paid the bills, the vacations, and the bonus’s not the computers, not the laptops, not even the Ipod… going forward momentum and force of will rewarded Steve because of the brand he carried with him and Pixar even after it was sold because the 2 surrounded him with a reality distortion field that hid his many flaws.

don’t get me wrong Steve Jobs turned out to be the right guy at the right time in the right place twice.

his OCB forced a no compromise position on his employees that reality usually imposes over time, this is where Microsoft has failed because they see opportunity to make coin where Steve Job’s saw what he would like to have…. and understand Steve didn’t build things for the benefit of consumers, he didn’t care and just assumed they would like what he would like that’s why Apple began to fail and he got booted out the first time.

his sheer cussedness and John Lasseter are at the core of Steve Job’s success.