Mozilla shows Firefox-on-Metro progress

Last month, we told you all about Mozilla’s plans for a Metro version of Firefox. Now, Mozilla’s Brian Bondy has updated his blog with fresh news about the project. As it turns out, a fair bit of work has been done already.

"As of last week, we have a working browser in Metro," says Bondy. "It currently looks and feels the same as the Android browser. You can navigate the web, create tabs, bookmark pages, build history, retain cache, adjust preferences, and more."

Now, as you can probably tell by the screenshot above, the user interface hasn’t been Metro-ified just yet—Bondy says the browser still uses UI code from Fennec, Mozilla’s mobile browser project. However, some Metro integration is already in place. The browser purportedly supports the Metro file picker, Metro search, Metro share (see above), and Metro snap (so it can run side-by-side with other applications).

Bondy says Mozilla still intends to deliver a "working Firefox prototype on Metro" by the end of this quarter.

• bcronce

WinXP is going to suck! Complete failure, MS will burn.

Oops, wrong decade

Win7 will suck, it’s just Vista. No one will purchase it and MS will die.

Opps, wrong year again.. sorry guys, I just can’t get this right.

Win8 will fail.

Much better.

• impar

Ugly, like all other metro apps.
    Less useful than proper Firefox, like all other metro apps compared to desktop counter-parts.

• Kaleid

My first browser

• phez

I will not be buying Windows 8.

• chrissodey

Hey Microsoft! Please change the name from Windows 8 to “Windows 7: Tablet Edition”. Also, don’t try to turn my PC into a phone. It is a PC, keep it a PC. And no I don’t want a trackpad accessory for my PC when a good mouse works perfect. It is more egonomic and I don’t need to flick my way accross the web with whatever combination of fingers and gestures that you cook up.

• burntham77

Even Apple understands this.

• Compton

Firefox-On-Metro sounds like some kind of new-fangled Department Of Justice hate-crime classification.

• sweatshopking

for you peeps qqing, windows 8 specs REQUIRE a touchscreen for any shipping computer. this will bring the age of touchable pcs to market.

• bthylafh

Wrong. That’s not true for non-ARM machines.

• sweatshopking

this is what i saw. Not sure how it compares. this does say tablets/convertibles.
        [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Hardware_requirements_for_tablets.2Fconvertibles[/url<]

• Washer

No where does that say all shipping computers will require a touchscreen. That requirement is solely for convertible laptops and tablets.

• sweatshopking

yeah i see that. that’s why mentioned that it says tablets and convertibles. it seems i missed the arm/x86 difference.

• albundy

there is no way in HELL that i am getting up to touch my tv everytime i need to do something!!!!!!!!!

• sweatshopking

nobody said you should? you can still use the same peripherals you’re using now…. what an irrational post…

• TheMonkeyKing

But what if had boobies on it?

• burntham77

That actually makes a bit of sense.

• Bensam123

This is sarcasm, right? I can’t honestly tell…

• Grigory

Dear Great Atheismo, please make Metro on the desktop go away. Thank you! Amen.

• xeridea

Just do what I do, Say No, and just run Win7 for 20 years, or until Metro goes away. If Metro is still around then, switch to Linux, but never the fruit, for it is the forbidden fruit.

• Grigory

Well, Metro could be great for touch based devices so I don’t want it to go away completely. I just don’t want it near my desktop.

• kvndoom

Then you’ll get derided and called a Luddite, idiot, and other colorful names just like people who say “Windows XP is good enough for how I use my computer.”

• sweatshopking

those people are morons. just teasing cause of your post 🙂

• burntham77

Except that Vista and Windows 7 are actual improvements over XP without introducing some new thing that gets in the way and provides minimal benefit.

• BobbinThreadbare

Vista was a mixed bag

• l33t-g4m3r

7 was the Mojave Experiment.

• Washer

I don’t see it as a question of Windows 7/Vista’s superiority to XP. That much, in my opinion, is true. Instead it’s a question of value. Are the improvements in 7/Vista worth the cost? For many people that’s not the case. XP does what they need just fine, why should that person be harassed in to spending $100? Not to mention other factors like system performance demands that might have required even more spending.

Now the question is becoming even more complicated because the benefits of moving on to Windows 8 for a desktop are seemingly questionable at best. The UI changes don’t seem to help improve the desktop experience much if any. Why should I upgrade then if it will cost me $100 and not help make my current desktop a better experience?

• l33t-g4m3r

Better idea:
    NOBODY write a single program for metro. Boycott the entire OS consumer and developer. Force MS to drop this WinRT based lock-in platform. Pre-bundled retail PC’s will be a hard sell when nothing runs on it. -Not like this isn’t already going to happen.
    [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyc1RVCXvAk&feature=related[/url<]

• OneArmedScissor

Give me back my user upgradeable CPU cache and mouseless GUI!

• ClickClick5

Hey, I’ll jump on the CPU cache!

• ew

FWIW even Windows 7 still can be used without a mouse.

• Bensam123

Windows key and a lot of tabbing.

• sschaem

I believe to design for metro you need to sent 30% of all your revenue to Microsoft
      (before you recognize any profit, so before your own r&d expenses and taxes)

Most developers dont even see a good market with android and just stay on ios… I wonder how many developers are going to invest R&D into Metro and pay MS 30% and most likely lose money, while MS cash in.

Metro will need hundreds of million of marketing money from MS, Intel, Dell, etc.. etc.. to force this crap windows8 Metro is down people throat. I even think metro might need marketing in the billion to have it survive…. “I would like to buy a windows7 laptop”, “sorry, We dont carry those, but you can buy a copy of windows7 for $150” … freaking sick.

PS: Apple doesn’t charge of iOS upgrade…. Is MS ready to stop having revenue on Windows Metro ?? or will they also charge people for software upgrades on tablets?

• chrissodey

Your comment brings me back to having to request Windows XP and paying an extra $100 for it when Vista came out. Then it got progressivly worse when XP was no longer offered.

• odizzido

The only way I see myself using metro is if I have a convertible netbook, and if I have a netbook I can’t see myself not wanting a proper interface to use when browsing the web.

my care-O-meter is at zero.

• superjawes

I’m curious, especially looking at this screenshot…what’s missing that makes this an “unproper” infterface?

• Washer

Hiding tabs. See the icon in the top left? You have to click that to see your currently open sites. This behavior makes sense on a device with limited screen space like a smartphone. It makes less sense as you have more space. Not even the 7″ Kindle Fire’s default browser does this, Apple also doesn’t do this with the Safari UI for the iPad either, and Chrome on Android doesn’t do it either.

First, it makes selecting tabs an addition step. How often do you switch back and forth between two sites? I do it all the time. How about checking a pages loading status? With tabs visible you can see a nice loading icon. Can’t do that if you hide the tabs. How about sites that update the site name? Reflected in tabs, useful for places like Twitter or Gmail (off the top of my head, I’m sure there’s many more). The minimal vertical space saved is not worth the drawbacks.

Hard to say much more. Clearly it’s early but the Firefox interface on Android tablets isn’t that great and well… they’ve done a poor job of copying other browsers on the desktop. I don’t have much faith in Mozilla’s UI team.

• superjawes

Okay, that gives some substance to the argument. Thank you. But on the subject of switching tabs, I almost always use CTRL + Tab.

And to play Devil’s Advocate, this is a static shot and not a video. I think the dynamic behavior of the browser will tell a lot more either way.

• DrCR

Looks a bit rural to me.