Cooler Master intros QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboard

Here comes another mechanical keyboard from Cooler Master. The company describes this new model, the QuickFire Pro, as the "next incarnation of the extremely popular QuickFire Rapid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard." True to its name, the Pro looks more fleshed-out than its predecessor—not least of all because it doesn’t forgo the all-important numpad.

The QuickFire Pro also features a matte finish, a 1-ms response time over USB, a removable braided USB cable, red LED backlighting behind "common game keys," and an option to disable the Windows key in "game mode."

What of the key-switch design, you ask? Apparently, Cooler Master will offer all four of Cherry’s most popular MX switches: red, black, brown, and blue. You can see our Cherry MX color-coding cheat sheet in our latest keyboard review. Cooler Master says switch availability will "[depend] on region," though, so some folks may have more limited options.

Look for this bad boy in stores later this month.

• TheDON3k

I don’t think anything will ever replace my 22Sept1987 IBM M-Type keyboard for gaming. I even use one at work via a USB adapter on my company Dell. It’s 19May1987 M-Type.

M-Type forever!

• LoneWolf15

That’s “IBM Model M”. Get your curmudgeon right, or don’t do it at all. 😉

• bhtooefr

Bah, the Model M is merely a cheap imitation of the real buckling spring technology, the Model F.

More crisp key feel, I’m faster on an F, and it has N-key rollover (useful for gaming), which the M will never be able to do (because it has a membrane underneath).

This post composed on a 122-key terminal Model F. 🙂

(No comments from the peanut gallery about how the Model F is a cheap imitation of the beam spring-equipped IBM 5251 keyboard – I’ve got one of those, too, and I think I prefer the Model F right now.)

Still no decent ergo ‘split’ keyboards with mechanical keyswitches on the market.

If their selling point is an improved typing experience, then ergo keyboards arguably provide the better typing experience by being more natural to use and more comfortable.

I know this is a point that many TR posters disagree on, but there’s tons of research into carpal tunnel syndrome that shows a straight, flat keyboard isn’t good for you. I [i<]know[/i<] you like your flat straight keyboards and you probably hate the ugly, space-wasting ergo models, but you can't argue against scientic fact.

• bhtooefr

The problem there is economies of scale, really.

• just brew it!

Nice to see another option out there for us mechanical keyboard fans. The QUICK FIRE printed on the spacebar is kind of silly… otherwise, looks reasonable.

Speaking of the key labels, their web page doesn’t seem to say whether the keys are printed, lasered, etc…

• gamoniac

Here is my problem with keyboard and KVM in general — most KVM do not fulfill my need since most only have VGA I/O and support only single output, so I just use the KVM for keyboard and mouse. I connect video directly from my PC to the monitors (I have dual monitors each with 3 input connectors – HTMI, DVI, and VGA) and switch the video manually, which works just fine for me and is in fact preferred sometimes.

So, in that light, how about a wireless keyboard+mouse with built-in switch that is extensible via dongle (usb or bluetooth) up to, say, ten of them? If the manufacturer can make it, I don’t mind paying $100 for it.

BTW, I have tried using wireless keyboard/mouse with KVM. They are just not responsive enough or sometimes not detected, especially during system reboot or wake from sleep mode. In the case of reboot, getting into BIOS is a you-know-what. So a built-in switch with extensible USB/Bluetooth dongle would be a godsend.

Cooler Master, Rosewill, Logitech, Microsoft, …. are you listening? Please?

PS: While you are at it, please make the keypad attachable to either the right or left side of the keyboard as others have pointed out, so that I can stop sitting off center to my desk.

• trackerben

I could use a keyboard like that. I keep a compact Cherry G81-1800 just for KVM duty and switch video sources as you do. Could Logitech’s wireless universal dongle be made to work in the way you propose?

• gamoniac

I don’t think so. I think you have to sync the universal dongle with the keyboard/mouse everytime you switch.

• bryanb03

I use input director and I like it way better than a hardware KVM. Plus it has clipboard transfer capability.

• gamoniac

Cool. I haven’t heard of that before. I checked it out; it looks promising but a bit complicated. For example, I can’t just plug in an additional computer unless it is networked on the same router. And even on a private network, security might be a problem, unless one of the computers has been compromised (packet sniffer). I could be wrong about these though. It does look like a viable solution.

Since it sends keycodes over the network. Do you experience any lag in gaming or network disruption?

• trackerben

Windows-only so that rules out real mode use. I still do some full backups in DOS and a hardware solution is usually more flexible here.

• Tumbleweed

Okay, so the gamers will now be taken are of. How about some Cherry brown-equipped ergonomic layouts for us office drones?

• UberGerbil

And backlight the keys (all of them) while you’re at it.

+1 for ergonomic love.

[url<]https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4m3myjWEcwEPvDBaKSYgAKNoxIm1GaZgcTkYsb-ijfdYfoOvh[/url<] IMO, this is the best of them - no stupid media keys and the minimal cursor cluster was pinkie-friendly. People who complained about it were just being obtuse since the traditional intverted-T was available within the numberpad, and gamers will be using WASD or ESDF anyway.

• superjawes

How audible are those switches? I know they were listed as “silent,” but compared to membranes, I doubt they can be THAT silent…

Basically, my only concern is being in an office with 80 engineers clicking away at the exact same time…it would drive me insane.

• Meadows

Really? That sort of thing would calm and reassure me.

• trackerben

A “silent” Cherry or Alps mechanical is still noisier than most membrane keyboard. That said, brown keyswitches don’t sound as irritating at arms length as blues or blacks. I recently tested the entire range of Ducky backlits with the usual keyswitches but also reds and clears, all identical keycaps and weighted bases, and the browns sounded somewhat muted, blues were the “click”-iest, blacks and reds were “clack”-iest. All emitted audible trigger noises.

The Filcos and Coolermasters I compared the Duckys in the same showroom all exhibited the same keyswitch differentiation. The Rosewill and CMStorm brown “silent” keyboards I use are still somewhat noisy.

If you want something mechanical-feeling and yet membrane-silent but doesn’t cost more than an entire cpu, look for silenced Topre keyboards.

• bhtooefr

Well, the Cherry brown was actually developed for the Cherry ErgoPlus: [url<]http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-5000[/url<] Problem is, those are rare nowadays.

• willyolio

brown! yaaay, finally another brown keyboard option. so far the only one i’ve seen at a decent price is the rosewill mech keyboard. i hope CM manages to keep these keyboard prices relatively low like the first ones.

• aunlead

Doesn’t the DAS keyboard (silent edition) have cherry brown switches?

• LoneWolf15

The Das is $150. He said “at a decent price”.

• anotherengineer

I wonder if we will be waiting a year for the mass availability of switches like the 10 keyless storm………….sigh

yep only blues on the shelves………..hey coolermaster where is my brown switches???
    [url<]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129002[/url<]

• sli

I would pay double if that board was fully backlit with blues.

• anotherengineer

well this is more than double but has dye sublimated keys so they never wear off, clear switches though.

[url<]http://www.deckkeyboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=96[/url<]

• ew

Every time I see an article about a new keyboard I think “oh! does this one finally put the numpad on the left side”. I’m always disappointed.

• Mourmain

Great idea! Never thought about it…

• SomeOtherGeek

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic or not, but you can check out the MS Sidewinder X6 keyboard. The number pad can be detached and put on either side of the keyboard. It is kinda nice cuz I have one. All the other keys and programmable stuff is fluff, but the number pad detachment thingy is why I bought it.

• ew

That’s excellent! I might get one of those. Thanks.

• charged3800z24

Why on the left side? I still prefer my Z-Board (MERC). Still my favorite gaming board.

• Deanjo

[quote<]Why on the left side?[/quote<] Do we really need to lock you in a room with Ned Flanders?

• ew

First reason is it gets in my way. I’d have more room for the mouse on the right side if the numpad was on the left.

Second reason is I feel that when I do actually want to use the numpad it would be more useful if I could do so with my left hand. No need to take my right hand off the mouse or extend my left hand in an odd way if it is only the left side.

• JustAnEngineer

Put it any where that you want.
      [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823244002[/url<]

• bacondreamer

You mean like this?

[url<]http://www.fentek-ind.com/modular.htm#kblhusbsb[/url<]

• trackerben

payload!

• superjawes

I feel like that’s something that should have been added to some keyboards…not that I would use it, but companies who make gaming mice realize that lefties play games, too, and while the selection isn’t as nice, it’s still there. Keyboards pretty much come in one layout, even though I could see a lot of configurations being useful to certain people/situations.