Mac trojan affects at least 600,000 systems

Macs aren’t vulnerable to all of those pesky Windows viruses; so goes popular wisdom. That’s true, of course, but the latest epidemic shows Mac users definitely aren’t immune from malware altogether. Ars Technica reports that at least 600,000 Macs are in the throes of a nasty Java trojan infestation.

Russian security firm Dr Web first broke the news yesterday, revealing some details about the trojan. It explained, "Systems get infected with BackDoor.Flashback.39 after a user is redirected to a bogus site from a compromised resource or via a traffic distribution system. JavaScript code is used to load a Java-applet containing an exploit." An epidemiology map put together by the firm shows most affected systems are in the English-speaking world, with the United States and Canada commanding the lion’s share of cases.

Mac users aren’t helpless, thankfully. Ars points out that Apple has sent out a fix through Software Update, its automatic system updates scheme. Also, security firm F-secure offers instructions so that Mac users can check if they’re infected—and get rid of the trojan if they are.

Still, this is a sobering reminder that, ad campaigns and slogans aside, OS X users aren’t getting a free ride as far as malware is concerned.

• link626

nooooooo !

macs are invincible

• Krogoth

Malware affects every platform that is wired to the internet. *nix and OSX ecology are no exception.

• PenGun

This is my 5th Linux machine. I have blowed up windose from malware on several occasions during this time, my games you understand, but nothing has ever happened to my main OS in 15 years. Nothin’, nada … zip.

• EtherealN

And? I smell an anecdote, and you know what they say about anecdotal “evidence”… 😉

Linux is even smaller than OSX, so of course there’s less malware written for it. 😛
        (Not knocking it – I like Linux myself, I’ve used SuSE, Debian and Ubuntu in my days, as well as a couple micro-distros as rescue livediscs to repair machines for friends and family.)

But if you think there’s nothing out there prowling you are a prime target for malware writers. It’s people that think their systems are secure simply through the label on their OS that are easiest to explot since they don’t take the same defensive measures someone that is on their guard takes.

• PenGun

LOL. I have also been root for all this time. I have fooled with the consumer distros but I always come back to my Slack. Since 3.2 actually.

I have fought wars on my Linux web servers but that was long ago. We did have fun though. Best outcome … we trade user accounts, hold your enemies close …

So this + – thing is some kind of popularity contest right? I have paid little attention to it.

• EtherealN

Aye, it seems to be a general measure to see how well your opinion aligns with everyone else’s opinion (as opposed to whether you’re being mannered). A bit of a silly system imo.

• Krogoth

Malware does exist in the *nix ecology. The only difference is that their primary targets are enterprise systems (majority of *nix marketshare). Mainstream *nix systems are too far and few for malware writers to go bother with.

• entropy13

Another attempt to sully the clean name of the Holy Apple!

Such propaganda from heretics will not go unpunished!

• LaChupacabra

[quote<]the United States and Canada commanding the lion's share of cases.[/quote<] I see what you did there

• shank15217

“It just infects!”

• demani

Of course this was inevitable, but the smug comments from most of the posters seem to ignore that Windows users have gotten hammered in the last few years (the 700k number isn’t even close to the size of some of the botnets that are out there, including the few that [i<]Microsoft themselves[/i<] helped take down. I mean it's not like Windows XP isn't still on more machines, and its going to fall further and further behind security wise. Would you call those user smug, self satisfied users who didn't take the "sucker's bet" and pay Microsoft for upgrades when what they have is working fine? (Note-I'm all over Windows 7 myself, but I don't keep a VM for some specific software that won't run even in 7's XP Mode). How about instead of being dicks about it, let your Mac using friends know that this is an issue, and tell them to get patched? If you think your better than Mac users, go ahead and prove it by [i<]actually being helpful and doing something about it[/i<]. But if you want to be a smug SOB, go right ahead-but know that just makes you a hypocrite on top of everything else.

• mesyn191

Its not about being a “smug SOB” its about enjoying the delicious succulent schadenfreude after years of listening to the suckers who had fallen for Jobs’ RDF ~smugly~ go on about Apple’s immunity to viruses get their just deserts.

I’ve been telling those fools for years they need to get AV and use some common sense security practices in place for when Apple’s machines and OS get popular enough to become a worthy target to the hackers. Not my fault they didn’t listen.

• xeridea

Apple wants you to pay $30 every 6 months for small updates when you already bought an extremely overpriced machine to start with. Whats wrong with upgrading your OS every 10 year for $90?

• demani

See, that’s the attitude I was talking about. You are as sensationalistic as any of the Apple users you want to slam, but you are just as wrong. Apple has hit up for $30 every 12 months, not 6 months. And you are right, windows was just a 90$ upgrade, but it wasn’t 10 years between releases either. And yes, Microsoft wants you to keep paying just as much as Apple does (Software Assurance anyone?).

Still doesn’t change that way more people were affected by Rustock (which was one of several botnets).

• sweatshopking

there is no question that there are more virus’ or infected windows machines. But nobody makes stupid commercials for windows pretending windows doesn’t have virus’. that’s the difference. apple encourages this invincible belief, meanwhile suggesting AV on webpages nobody will ever go to so they can say “No! we encourage users to have AV!!!!”. it’s a sleazy move.

• atryus28

I’m more than happy with the windows defectors going to Apple. I will not miss them in the least and I can charge them twice as much to fix their Macs. 🙂

• Sargent Duck

Hahahahahahahaha

I’m sorry, I shouldn’t laugh at other people’s misfortunes…*snicker*….Hahahahahahahahahahaha

• kamikaziechameleon

Let the apple bashing begin!

• Grigory

Agreed, it’s well earned. 🙂

• corwin155

wait apple says they dont get viruses ?

• TEAMSWITCHER

Umm….this was a Trojan…next time just say “malware.”

I am beginning to question the numbers involved. I have checked every Mac in my extended family and they were all clean. That 56% number for the united states looks like errant data. No other country has anywhere near the same percentage. I think this is BS.

• brute

It’s BS that 56.6% of infected computers reside in the US? Is it also BS that the sum of the %s reported is 100?

Statistics be hard, yo

• walruslove

I know right? Also if you take into account # of computers per country and mac market share per country I assume why the US number is so high would be more obvious.

• NeelyCam

Repeat after me:

[RDF]Fake news! Macs are pure and good, and immune to anything evil I call BS![/RDF]

• Da_Boss

To be clear (and probably fair), this malware vulnerability was addressed by Apple in a software update. So, this really reads to me like nothing more than a case of malware do what it always does–attacking the most helpless and least knowledgable of computer users.

I’m sure we all know our fair share of ignorant tech users, regardless of platform. So, I’m not sure if this gives anyone permission to start calling Mac users idiots or Apple a liar for pointing out that widespread virus and malware attacks just aren’t as prevalent on Mac OS X. If Apple could be charged with anything, It’d probably be that they do take some credit for an apparent lack of interest in malware writers wanting to exploit Mac OS X.

• jpostel

The knock on Apple is that the particular vulnerability was in Java and was patched by Oracle in February, yet Apple did not release their update until the exploit was in the wild and several hundred thousand users were affected.

Now I am going to make sure my systems are patched and ClamXav is updated.

• pedro

Why do n00b users even have Java installed in the first place?

• pedro

This is a serious question.

• ermo

Many banks use Java for their back-end banking software.

If we assume that many users rely on online banking, it should therefore come as no surprise that most online banking portals rely on Java applets and that, hence, users need a Java Runtime Environment if they want access.

• pedro

OK, I didn’t know that. Cheers. The only thing I could come up with was OpenOffice.

• indeego

That is far more likely. Banks may use Java (programming environment) for their software, but it is not a requirement to have it for clients (runtime). At this point it’s a liability, as the JRE has had more holes than any other plug-in over the past few years.

I need it installed at work for government connection requirements, and it’s a freakin’ joke. The government mandates what version we use, and often it is an outdated, insecure version. I end up only whitelisting the government sites to allow JRE approved applets.

I know iTunes is terrible, but calling it a trojan is just too far.

• Spotpuff

[url<]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/i-see-what-you-did-there.png[/url<]

• cygnus1

ha ha, good show

• danny e.

I’m immune to black on black violence.

• danny e.

not so with white on white violence, or black on white, or brown on white. drat.

-1’d because I don’t know what kind of pseudo-political joke you’re trying to make, but it’s not funny.

• ish718

I guess it is a poor attempt for an analogy.

• danny e.

If by “poor” you mean “perfect”. 🙂

• danny e.

nothing political.

• brute

The analogy is good, but you’ve got to keep in mind that many people come to the internet, and some of them are liberal! The slightest not-PC statement can have their butthurts flare up.

• BobbinThreadbare

No it’s a stupid analogy. Unless it’s impossible to create malware on a Mac.

• danny e.

you’re dense.

• sweatshopking

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID.

• ronch

A lot of Apple users particularly those who aren’t even into computers at all (just using the things for their work or play) would probably even be oblivious to this, just as any Windows user who doesn’t give the slightest damn about the inner workings of a PC is oblivious to PC viruses. Any TR gerbil would object, but I’ve seen too many people who just don’t even know what a computer virus is, or care about it. Heck, some people even claim their USB drives to be free of viruses because they’ve had it for only a few days!

• Arclight

Heck even people with PC knowledge. Today i got a flash pen drive from a friend to put a few CAD files on it and out of habbit i fired up a Kaspersky scan without expecting it to find anything, but to my surprise BAM “Virus.Win32.Sality.bh” was detected on the drive.

After i saw the infection i asked him if he has an antivirus installed on his computer, to which he replied “Nah man i don’t need one. I only frequent secure sites”. Well the sites might be secure but his thumb drive does gets around.

“W32.Sality is an entry-point obscuring (EPO) polymorphic file infector. It will infect executable files on local, removable and remote shared drives. The virus also creates a peer-to-peer (P2P) botnet and receives URLs of additional files to download. It then attempts to disable security software. ”

Read more here:
      [url<]http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-011714-3948-99[/url<] So clearly there is no substitute for cautious users that periodically scan their PC and use reliable AV solutions. Far from me to defend MACs (they use silly OS and absurd hardware limitations) but frankly it's up to the user to keep their data safe, as much as a home user can ofc. As a home user i can't stop a new virus that even the AV can't detect, let alone desinfect.

• NeelyCam

[RDF]Fake news. This didn’t happen. OS X is immune to all malware.[/RDF]

• Unknown-Error

RDF?

• flip-mode

Reality Distortion Field is a decade old term applied to Mac users and Apple lovers. I believe it originated in the times when Macs had vastly lower performing CPUs compared to PCs (i.e., before Apple started using Intel processors) and yet you’d always find the Apple faithful digging up very specific benchmarks where the Power PC processor would manage to win and then they would broadly proclaim that Macs were faster than PCs based upon that. Dunno, but the general idea of the RDF is that Apple can do no wrong and that whatever Apple does is better than the analogous situation in PC land.

• Unknown-Error

Ah I see. Thanx for that. I’ve never owned anything from Apple and never had any interest in their products. So hope you guys can forgive my Ignorance on Apple terms.

• entropy13

It’s what heretics and non-believers call “Reality Distortion Field” when it is actually simply “True Enlightenment.”

• Saribro

The RDF is indeed a meta-field.

• Silus

I would say that Apple should sue TR for these false news! TR is clearly reporting it wrong!
      Apple has a patent for proper reporting of news related with Apple and this clearly violates it.

• entropy13

Tech Report (and other supposed “tech news websites”) should get ready with their lawyers. Such rampant spreading of propaganda, intentional defamation of the Holy Apple will not go unpunished.

• odizzido

I am sure we will see this more and more often as the obscurity part of mac security fades away.

• NeelyCam

Actually, I think it may have been the RDF that was protecting Mac users from stuff like this. Now that Steve’s gone, RDF virus/malware definition updates are suspended, so this was bound to happen.

• 5150

<ADAMDEVINE>
        I like that!
        </ADAMDEVINE>

• Silus

No, they are not suspended at all. RDFs are in full effect, only lessened, since Jobs (the king of RDF and false advertizing) can no longer do them himself.

• xeridea

Yeah you would think Apple would take part of that $100 Billion saved up and fix some security issues, but they don’t care about their users enough to stand up to their marketing hype. Not pushing patches that have been available for months, telling techs to ignore users with malware etc.

There’s just no substitute for smart users.

• DancinJack

++++++

It’s not about Apple products, it’s about people being dumb with Apple products.

• 5150

Are you sure? Because Apple has always claimed that it was their products, not users.

What’s said rarely changes what’s true.

• 5150

What is understood need not be discussed.

• Yeats

You’re 2 for 2… you got a hat trick for us?

• axeman

it must be the users.
          the apple products, they just work.

They do. Just like Windows products or Android products. But if a user gets fooled into downloading something…well, I”ll just point you back to my initial comment.

• JustAnEngineer

They must be holding it wrong.

• DragonDaddyBear

I find humor in that statement, since Apple dumbs down their products (some times good, some times bad) and their users claim to be smarter.

There are plenty of dumb people using other platforms as well. I think the dumbness is pretty evenly spread on a per capita basis, TBH.

• DragonDaddyBear

I agree. My point is that users of other platforms don’t usually hold themselves in a superior view because the product they use.

Well, Linux users might be smarter. But where they have the brains in computers and code they make up for it in a lack of social skills… not like I would know that from experience or people like that or anything >_>.

OK, I concur, we are all equally stupid, just not all in the same way!

• Washer

Is it surprising though when it comes to security? They’ve been fed marketing for years saying they’re basically immune to these types of issues. I’ve always felt Apple’s marketing strategy in that regard was like playing with fire. As OSX becomes a more popular target the need to educate users of these risks will increase as well. Apple has been doing the opposite that for ages, they’ve made their users lazy when it comes to safe computing.

• DragonDaddyBear

Of note, I think it was 274 (or something close to that) are in Cupertino. Mmmm, irony.

Perhaps this malware was preemptive karma? I also read an article this week on iPhone user’s opinions of Android getting instagram and insulting the pictures that Andoid users are going to take and how lame they were going to be.

Why can’t we all just get along?

• trackerben

Which may explain a lot. The not-smarts are running things.
      [url<]http://macdailynews.com/2011/09/04/apple-macbooks-iphones-ipads-invade-white-house-surround-obama%E2%80%99s-blackberry-and-dell-pc/[/url<]

• Spotpuff

BY definition apple users are smart because they bought the machine that “just works” and isn’t affected by all those pesky windows viruses.

• entropy13

Exactly. And only the truly believers can be considered such, having undergone real enlightenment from the Holy Apple. The report’s findings are just lies from heretics. Those that are unenlightened.

• 5150

Apple deserves this.

• albundy

but the users dont.

• EtherealN

The ones who said their apple computers are immune, and for this reason did not employ security measures, do deserve it. The same kind of wake-up call as when some fruit decides they don’t need AV and updates on their windows machine.

Johnny Ordinary that doesn’t know anything about computers and just bought a nice one to facebook on, though, does of course not deserve to get hit. But at least this one might shock a few of these into action towards getting their systems secured. (I’ve seen this news item pop up in mainstream media outlets too, so at least this might serve the purpose of reminding non-geeks to take steps to keep their systems secure; and to question the sales clerk next time the idiot behind the counter says the Apple machines are not vulnerable – I’ve had sales clerks tell me that to my face, though they get strangely evasive when I start asking questions about that… 😀 )

• BobbinThreadbare

Are Macs super popular in Australia or what’s going on there?

• tay

From TFA: [quote<]An epidemiology map put together by the firm shows most affected systems are in the English-speaking world[/quote<]