Release roundup: Cases, memory, and power

This week in our rundown of miscellaneous release announcements, we’re looking at new gear from Cooler Master, G.Skill, and Rosewill:

• Cooler Master unveils Extreme II Series power supply. This freshly launched PSU series spans four models: 475W, 525W, 625W, and 725W, with price tags ranging from $49.99 to $94.99. All four offerings have dual 12V rails and, according to Cooler Master, “higher quality components” than than the original Extreme PSU family. Cooler Master also touts “world-class” over-power protection features and durable capacitors that can run as hot as 105°C. Warranty coverage is three years.
  • G.Skill announces TridentX DDR3 memory kit for 3rd generation Intel Core processors. G.Skill serves up these enthusiast memory modules in 4GB and 8GB densities as part of 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB memory kits. Nothing extraordinary there, but the top rated speeds of 2400-2800MHz might turn a few heads. What’s more, G.Skill says it managed to overclock its TridentX 2800MHz 16GB kit to a whopping 3320MHz using liquid nitrogen. Oh, and those tall heatspreader fins can be detached to make way for large CPU coolers.
  • Cooler Master intros HAF XM mid-tower. Cooler Master says this case “contains a virtual hurricane’s force worth of airflow within its walls.” This thing has room for a total of four 200-mm fans (two at the top, one at the front, and one on the side) in addition to a 140-mm exhaust fan, so the hyperbole may very well be justified. The HAF XM also has a rotated side panel, which swings down when opened, and a pair of drive docking bays. You can even mount an SSD on the back of the motherboard tray. Not too shabby for $129.99.

That Rosewill case looks like a no-frills offering for the most part, but I dig the subdued industrial design. The Cooler Master looks a little chunky by comparison.

• kamikaziechameleon

These weekly updates make me want to break down and needlessly build a new rig. All I really need is a 512 Gb SSD and a new GPU but gosh this is enticing stuff. Look at that ram!

• StuG

Not really a fan of the huge spikey memory anyway, but if you are going to produce a product with that much height on it +1 for making it removable.

• anotherengineer

Is that coolermaster a case or a chest? 🙂

• stupido

I like that chest – mostly due to the fact that accepts high tower coolers… I have Thermalright Archon and I was looking for a case that will fit it without going to full tower;
      I was considering to get Fractal’s Arc but that is just very close to what I have now (CM 690) as clearance… Also considered HAF 912 & Enforcer, but they are no better than Arc

I wanted something bit wider and I think HAF XM is my answer…

• glacius555

History repeating: you look at new case/CPU/GFX card releases and regret your recent purchases..

• Airmantharp

While I agree with the sentiment, good planning mitigates this somewhat-

The only thing I regret is that my HD6950’s can’t run BF3 at it’s highest settings on the largest 64-man maps on a 2560×1600 panel. A pair of GTX680’s may be in store in the future :).

• gbcrush

Agreed. Aside from the fact that I’m waiting to hear about the RMA on my mobo, none of the components here (nor the Ivy Bridge news) are making me regret my purchases. Quite the opposite infact.

• brucethemoose

Instead of shelling out $1000 for a minor improvement at best, can’t you live with just a little less AA? Especially at 2560×1600? Everything looks just fine on my 1440p panel with a single 6850, and it looks great Vsync’d at 70fps with 2 of em.

Otherwise, I’ll take those 6950s off your hands 🙂

• Airmantharp

Actually, my point is that I can live without the extra AA (in BF3). Right now, I have medium FXAA set as my only AA option, and it’s certainly ‘good enough’.

I was just using that as an example of regret, because if I had known that BF3 needed a little more oomph, I would have waited a little longer as I had an excellent GTX570 SC from Evga that I traded for an HD6950 2GB, because I needed the extra 768MB of VRAM.

• UberGerbil

[quote<]Today’s pocket contents become tomorrow’s desk clutter. HAF XM assists in preventing this clutter by including a non-slip rubber pad on the top of the chassis for placing personal belongings. [/quote<]

• UberGerbil

“Extreme” PSUs that are actually available in at non-extreme wattages and prices. Yay for sanity.

• rrr

Also, they are old constructions lacking active PFC (or possibly any PFC – it’s either and you can tell by the voltage selector) and with lowly efficiency, below 80+. They are quite a ripoff at such prices, you’re better off with Corsair CX or XFX Core.

Funny thing about 525W model is that its 12V capacity is the same as in XFX Core… 450W one.

• Airmantharp

After not seeing efficiency ratings touted in the units above, I lost interest.

Not that an efficient unit is necessary, especially when low wattages and strict budgets come into play, but 80+ certifications are definitely a sign of quality I look for.

I agree with the Corsair recommendation, and I’d also take a budget-oriented Antec, Silverstone, or Seasonic in a pinch.

• albundy

love the “Gaming Case” part from rosewill. cus you cant game unless you have a gaming case!

• Airmantharp

I know right!

The last thing I want is a big, ugly, bright-light laden case that lacks filters and is full of loud, failure-prone and hard to replace custom fans.

Silverstone’s Fortress FT-02 still takes the cake for me- and would be my first recommendation for anyone needed to run three GPUs.

Anything less than three, though, and you can get away with almost anything. My Define R3 is full of fans and damn near silently cools a 4.8GHz 2500k and a pair of HD6950s.

• Washer

I love my Define Mini except I have no idea why Fractal made the filters require the removal of the front panel and screws. Major pain to clean them properly.

• Airmantharp

Vacuum on the outside/canned air from the inside. The front fans on my Define R3 have a similar issue.