Buyers of new Win7 PCs to get cheap Win8 upgrades

Windows 8 is coming later this year, as almost everyone knows—and that might make some folks think twice about buying a Windows 7 machine in the meantime. How can Microsoft stop PC sales from falling off a cliff? Historically, the company has offered free upgrades to its next OS during the few months preceding its release.

With Windows 8, things are going to be a little different.

According to Paul Thurrott, Microsoft’s latest upgrade promotion will allow owners of new Windows 7 PCs to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro… but they’ll have to shell out $14.99 for the privilege. And only Windows 8 Pro will be available as part of the program. The vanilla edition of Windows 8 won’t be offered at a discount to Windows 7 users.

The promotion will reportedly kick off on June 2. That “coincides roughly” with the arrival of the Windows 8 Release Preview, which is due out in the first week of June.

ZDNet posted a similar story last week, albeit without pricing details; it included a screenshot of a promotional page on Microsoft’s website with the words, “Buy a Windows 7 PC and get Windows 8 Pro for $XX.XX.*” Thurrott attributes the information in his story to his own sources, but he also links the ZDNet article.

• albundy

Win8 upgrades? i wouldnt call it an upgrade.

“Please pay us $14.99 to remove your function OS and replace it with our hampered Android/IOS clone”

I’m not going to hide my dislike for Windows8, but based on a straw-poll of ordinary people who have seen or used Windows 8 so far, it has a 100% failure rate for desktop users and most people don’t care whether their tablet runs IOS or Android.

Am I seing edge-cases here or is the general consensus that Windows8 will be A Big Step Backwards for most desktop and laptop users?

• Farting Bob

The thing is, people who try the beta’s and dev previews arent your average user of windows. Just because the most tech savvy people dont like the UI changes, doesnt mean it isnt good for most people.

• rado992

And yet it is these beta testers, the tech-savvy users and early adopters who write the reviews about the new OS. With enough bad press your average Joe won’t need to actually try the OS to form a negative opinion about it (again: the case with Vista). This is why I think Windows 8 won’t be a big success even on tablets unless they actually call it something else, like Windows Tablet for example. Windows 8 will most likely become a synonim of unintuitive, radically different OS, reflecting the PC experience, because let’s face it, the Windows user base of today is 99% desktop/laptop. It is these existing users who will have the first go at using Win 8 and Metro is going to put them off in a big way because it is too new and different for them.

I really think they should have made the Metro UI a more optional extra for the desktop version of Win8. I like the refinements made across the OS, especially to the desktop UI, but I still think the Metro/Desktop duallism will prove way too difficult to your average Joe. I like the Windows 8 tablet experience, I’m not going to lie, it’s fresh and intuitive, but I think it should be just that – a tablet experience.

• Umbragen

ummm, why?

• Grape Flavor

Cyril, please see if you could try and find out how much they are going to charge you to take Win 8 off a new PC and put on Win 7. I think that’s what most TR readers would be more interested in, and a way Microsoft might make much more money.

• NeelyCam

Actually, I want Microsoft to give [i<]me[/i<] money for downgrading.

• mutarasector

I fixed the ‘-2’ for ya a bit with a +1, and I quite agree – I think M$ should *pay* me for downgrading.

• Farting Bob

I want Apple to give me money to use their iphone. I also want Bugatti to give me money to use their Veyron, and i want The Queen to give me money to live in Buckingham palace.

• yogibbear

I’m planning on getting one of those UX21A’s whenever they become available (June, perhaps?), so this is good for me as I’ll probably want to snag the $15 Win8 license if I can. I’m sure once laptops with touch-enabled screens become the norm and don’t cost >$1500 then there might be a device worth owning to run this thing on. I wonder if it will come with window wipers?

• Forge

Well, I can see myself abusing this once or twice to get spare licenses to sit around, but I doubt I’ll be installing till SP1, at least. Fix the ‘legacy’ GUI or magically “upgrade” most of my devices to touch screens and maybe I’d consider it.

• riviera74

I have a better idea: make Metro optional. Or at least allow power users to turn it off permanently.

• NeelyCam

Oh cr*p, I just realized something: if I wait for Haswell before buying an Ultrabook, it’ll have Win8 on it…

*grrr*

• Bensam123

Somethings can’t be formatted away. 🙁

• Meadows

As Bensam123 said: So?

• Peldor

If I could buy Win 7 OEM off Newegg and have the option for Win 8 for $15, I’d definitely do that.

Win 8 has a lot of rough edges, but for new and novice users it is going to be quite popular. The MS Store (which MS has limited to too few apps so far) is a killer app in itself.

Of course, there are already Win7-style Start Menu tools available if you are so inclined.

• Jingles

I would consider upgrading if MS paid me a million dollars, but that’s not going to happen just like me upgrading to Windows 8 isn’t going to happen.

It doesn’t matter how cheap the ‘upgrade’ is it’s still going to be a ripoff, even if it was free.

Windows 7 is the new XP.

• codedivine

[quote<] I would consider upgrading if MS paid me a million dollars[/quote<] I would settle for $10k.

• cegras

Is there any reason why you hate W8 so much? Humans are remarkably adaptable, you know. After getting ‘used’ to office 2007 it’s difficult to go back to 2003, and after getting ‘used’ to texnic center, word 2007 feels foreign to me.

• travbrad

Is there any reason why you hate square wheels so much? Humans are remarkably adaptable, you know. Newer doesn’t necessarily mean better. See Win98 vs WinME for example.

Obviously W8 won’t be THAT bad, but most of the new stuff in W8 is specifically designed for tablets/touch, to the detriment of the hundreds of millions of regular desktops/laptops. The worst part about it is after all this trouble, they probably won’t even sell that many Win8 tablets, and the iPad will still dominate the market.

Being able to run Windows applications on a tablet just isn’t as much of an advantage as Microsoft seems to think. Tablets/touch are so ill-suited to productivity (can you imagine working with Excel spreadsheets without a mouse/kb?). Really the only place this hodge-podge approach of Win8 makes sense is for those convertible laptop/tablets, which are still an unproven market.

• Bensam123

Yeah, they’ll think twice about holding off a purchase and getting a Windows 8 machine… as in they wont because they don’t want a Windows 8 machine.

Only people this will remotely pertain to are the ignorant and the minority that are actually really hyped up about Windows 8 because they want to tablisize their desktops for some reason.

• rado992

[quote<] Windows 8 is coming later this year, as almost everyone knows—and that might make some folks think twice about buying a Windows 7 machine in the meantime. [/quote<] See, I just don't think that's going to happen this time round. I really was very optimistic and positive about Windows 8, but seeing how they literally ditch their current user base in a (vain) pursuit of a slice of tablet sales makes me think that Win8 isn't going to be partcularly attractive to any non-touchscreen PC user. I do see the point of this upgrade scheme if, for some reason, the Ideapad Yoga or something else similar comes out before the Win8 launch. As for tablets - they won't even be ready AT launch date, let alone before it, and I doubt OEMs will even bother putting Windows 7 on them and dealing with the hassle of users upgrading to Win8 later.

• ew

Actually it is going to do the opposite. Got to get a Win7 machine before they are no longer available.

• rado992

Yes, that, and a revival of the “downgrade” option for new PC sales, this time to Windows 7. Weird how this is beginning to look more and more like the Vista launch, only with even stronger love/hate feelings towards the new release.

• Vasilyfav

A very important difference with the Vista launch is that Windows 8 will not be plagued by performance problems this time around.

1. Microsoft got their shit together since the Vista performance perception fiasco.
          2. Windows 8 is designed to work smoothly with lower end hardware found in tablets.
          3. At its core it’s still windows 7, which was already moderately fast, and now it’s only gotten a few general improvements.

• BobbinThreadbare

At it’s core Win8 should be faster than Win7 for a lot of things.

It’s all the stuff that isn’t core that has me concerned.

• absurdity

Actually at its core it’s Windows Vista, so, think about that for a second 😛

• rado992

Hey, Vista wasn’t all that bad either, it’s the s**tloads of bad press it got that made it a badly accepted OS. In this regard, Windows 8 won’t be any different. It might not be bad at all, but you can already see what the general opinion of it is shaping up to be.

• bthylafh

“It might not be bad at all”

Haven’t tried the consumer beta?

Vista wasn’t all that bad after SP1, but the RTM version had a lot of glaring issues.

Post SP1 I ditched XP, and dual-booted OS X Leopard with Vista SP1.

• bthylafh

All true. However, it /will/ be plagued with a truly godawful, inconsistent, confusing interface.

I’ve been advising people who want computers to buy before October.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]I've been advising people who want computers to buy before October.[/quote<] Business laptops will be available with Win 7 for a long time to come. I'm still somewhat torn on Windows 8. I do think the UI is a horrid mess on regular computers, but I will be getting my wife a convertible laptop for school, and Windows 8 [i<]might[/i<] (emphasis on 'might') just be tolerable on a touchscreen device.

• Arag0n

So far so good, I’m still trying to understand why Windows8 is a downgrade. You can do everything that you could do with windows7, the only difference is the “start menu”, plus a general distributed source of Metro apps. You aren’t pushed to use Metro, you can use it just as a glorified start menu. Start + start to type to search + enter to launch is still working, and that’s at least for me the 95% of the time the way I start applications, not going to start menu and searching. If not that, you still have the pinned bar of applications that makes you mostly uneeded to search for what you need, plus you can full your desktop of icons and/or documents as you always have been able to. Sure sometimes you go to the metro start just to press the desktop title to go back to “normal”, but given how fast it loads windows8, it’s still faster than go directly to desktop with win7.

• plasticplate

Apart from the fact that i just need to get used to the absence of the start button, nothings really changed on the desktop side for me. The few changes (Like ribbon interfaces) are more evolutionary rather than revolutionary and i dont think too many people will have problems getting adjusted to it. At this point i just see Win8 as a slightly tweaked Win7+Metro which in itself isnt that bad (If u happen to be using it on a tablet). So yea, its not going to be another Vista episode for MS.

• sweatshopking

stop being rational. THIS IS OPERATING SYSTEMS!!! NERD FODDER!! THIS IS WAR!

• travbrad

I’m not sure this upgrade is really an upgrade.

• Deanjo

Ya the title should read

[quote<]Buyers of new Win7 PCs to get cheap Win8 downgrade[/quote<]

• rrr

Desperate for sales much?

They just don’t want an Osborne effect. This is more to keep OEMs happy than for MS being “desperate”.

• UberGerbil

No more desperate than they were with Win7 or Vista or XP, when they did the same thing. In fact they’re confident enough this time around that they’re actually charging money; at this point in the cycle with Vista, they were offering free upgrades to Win7.

Whether or not the Osborne Effect is real in all cases, fear of it certainly is widespread. Neither the OEMs nor Microsoft want to give consumers another reason to put off buying a machine if they happen to be in the market in the next few months.

• jdaven

Okay, MS you have come really close to my wish. $15 upgrades to Win 8 Pro (almost all features included) for new PCs. And some of you doubted my wishful thinking.

Now all we need is to double that price for upgrades of existing Win 7 users to Win 8 Pro for $30. Come on MS, I have faith in you.

Rather than just randomly mod you down, I will tell you why I gave you a minus:

[quote<]Come on MS, I have faith in you.[/quote<] You've seen Windows 8, right?

• Ricardo Dawkins

Much better than paying $.$$ for some media/gaming device firmware. 😉

who does that? Apple used to and then they figured out it was in their best interests not to. They haven’t done anything of the sort since iOS 3.

No, really, who does it? Don’t just minus me, give an answer.

• dpaus

[quote<]Buyers of new Win7 PCs to get cheap Win8 upgrades[/quote<] True in so many ways....

• plasticplate

Wow.. u r a smart one, aren’t ya