Aaron Sorkin confirmed as Steve Jobs movie writer

The upcoming film dramatization of Steve Jobs’ life and career might not suck after all. According to SlashFilm, Aaron Sorkin has been confirmed as the film’s writer. With the backing of Sony Pictures, Sorkin will adapt Walter Isaacson’s biography of the former Apple CEO (Steve Jobs) for the silver screen.

Sorkin is, of course, known for penning the screenplay of The Social Network, the dramatization of Facebook’s rise to power, and winning an Academy Award for it. That screenplay, too, was adapted from a book: The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius, and Betrayal by Ben Mezrich. Having seen the movie at its release in 2010, I’d say Sorkin did a pretty splendid job—even if the movie was more of a dramatization than a purely factual retelling of the facts. That leaves me hopeful about the Steve Jobs biopic.

Oh, and it looks like early rumors were right and Ashton Kutcher will indeed be playing Steve Jobs in the upcoming film. Photos of Kutcher dressed as Jobs have been making the rounds these past few days. In the shots, Kutcher is bearded and wears the Apple co-founder’s trademark black turtleneck and jeans. The resemblance isn’t terribly striking, mostly because of Kutcher’s spotty facial hair, but I suppose casting is already over.

Update 11:27 AM: According to Hollywood Reporter, Kutcher is actually not going to star in the Sorkin film, but in a small-budget indie pic. Well, so much for that. Do we really need two movies about Steve Jobs, though? (Thanks for TR reader Dale for pointing this out.)

• HisDivineOrder

“Steve, you stink.”
    “IMPOSSIBLE! I DEVOUR ONLY GREEN VEGGIES! YOU SMELL ONLY YOURSELF!”
    “Dude… you HAVE body odor.”
    “Shut up, craphead.”
    “I’m not the one who smells like crap…”
    “I am a full-on green vegan! Body odor is a sign of the eater of the meat or the starch! I DO NOT STINK! You simply think I stink because of your own inadequacy.”
    “Whatever…”
    “You heard him! HE STINKS! IT IS NOT ME! EVEN WHEN I AM THE ONLY ONE AROUND AND HE’S AT HOME, IT IS HE THAT MAKES THE ROOM STINK! For I am the Jobs! HEED ME!”
    <sigh>

Gonna be a great movie.

• Silus

I’m doubtful that the movie will portray Jobs as he really was, as shown in the official biography, a delusional, egomaniacal douche bag that was great at marketing.
    Apple will certainly have an eye on that and sue everyone that portrays Steve Jobs in the big screen, as someone not a genius and the best person ever!

• Bensam123

Where is Bill Gates movie where he’s portrayed as a martyr?

• sweatshopking

Do we really need [i<] one [/i<] movie about Steve Jobs?

• Vrock

Took the words out of my mouth.

• superjawes

Do we need any movies featuring Ashton Kutcher?

• UberGerbil

Hollywood has never been about what we [i<]need[/i<].

• BobbinThreadbare

We already have Pirates of Silicon Valley.

• entropy13

In these modern times, movies could be a medium in which the non-believing masses can finally be swayed to the teachings of the Holy Apple.

• Silus

Exactly 🙂

• ronch

Heck, we need like, five Steve Jobs movies.

//sarcasm

• Anarchist

interesting … I don’t see anyone making movies about mother Teressa. If steve jobs, instead making i-gadgets that made billions for wall-street, devoted his life to helping people there would be no movies for him. It’s a strange world we live in, a world where money is god and people who make lot of money are the high priests and wall-street the temple.

• BobbinThreadbare

There is the slim chance that people might have the slightest compunction about exploiting mother Teressa for a quick buck.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]I don't see anyone making movies about mother Teressa.[/quote<] Here ya go: [url<]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375986/[/url<] and [url<]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0136414/[/url<]

• abc123

Don’t forget about Megan Fox’s Teressa

[url<]http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://style.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/meganfoxmotherteresa.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.popcrunch.com/megan-fox-mother-teresa-pictures-how-to-lose-friends-and-alienate-people/&h=960&w=1280&sz=402&tbnid=Fx29OZCaTIh3NM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmegan%2Bfox%2Bmother%2Bteresa%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=megan+fox+mother+teresa&docid=S52DuYGcncnVcM&sa=X&ei=RtOzT-H7GIay8QShsPWRCQ&ved=0CFgQ9QEwAg&dur=377[/url<]

• indeego

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Missionary_Position<]The Missionary Position.[/url<]

• kamikaziechameleon

OH SNAP!

• Silus

Welcome to the world that people made, where a piece of printed paper is more important than any life (human or not)!

And that’s why people love seeing movies/series about douche bags! Just look at the success of the Doctor House series. That guy is an asshole yet everyone that watches the series, loves the character. However, anyone that acted like that in real life (and there are many), would be ignored / criticized to high-heaven…

Yep, people are strange…

• ronch

“Money isn’t everything, it’s the ONLY thing!”

– Ted Dibiase

• Dposcorp

Nice to hear…..I am a big Sorkin fan….he makes me feel smart 🙂

• Voldenuit

They should make it a musical.

• BiffStroganoffsky

I’m a lumberjack and I don’t care. I wear women’s underwear.

• Voldenuit

Customer: “Hellooo? I’d like to register a complaint?”
        Geniusbar: “I’m sorry, we’re closed for lunch”
        Customer: “Never mind that, I’d like to talk to you about this ipad which I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique”
        Geniusbar: “Oh, the iPad 3. Magnificent bird, lovely retina display. Now what seems to be the problem with it?”
        Customer: “I’ll tell you what’s wrong with it – it’s stone dead!”
        Geniusbar: “No it’s not, it’s just sleeping”

• dpaus

Note to self: do [i<][b<]not[/i<][/b<] read Voldenuit's posts after drinking large amounts of fluids.....

• sweatshopking

YOU PEED IN YOUR PANTS. HAHAHAH OLD MAN SYNDROME STRIKES AGAIN! you incontinent old lunatic!

• dpaus

Yeah, I know… And I was sitting in your car. Sorry ’bout that.

• sweatshopking

actually, my son peed on the passenger seat 2 days ago… at least, i thought it was him….

• UberGerbil

You joke, but stranger subjects have been successful musicals on Broadway (in fact, stranger things are successful musicals on Broadway this very minute). In the right hands, I could totally see this work. (Heck, with a death that comes just at the zenith of a dramatic arc that had several acts, I could see someone doing it as a classical opera)

• Squeazle

Spiderman leaps to mind.

• UberGerbil

The Book of Mormon. Urinetown. Hell, [i<]Cats[/i<] was pretty unlikely when you think about it.

• dpaus

“Springtime for Hitler”

• sweatshopking

a classic. I love that play.

• ronch

Just imagine Steve Jobs singing, ” Do you wanna make sugared water for the rest of your life, or do you wanna make history?”

• dpaus

The [url=http://www.imdb.com/news/ni28227022/<]project that Sorkin has signed on for[/url<] is not the same one that [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357129/<]Kutcher is currently shooting[/url<].

• Dygear

Thank you, I was just going to post this as well. Kutcher’s film is already in production, Sorkin’s film is not even close to production. Sony a while back got the rights to the Walter Issac biographic shortly before Steve’s death. Sorkin signed on to the Sony project, and will be adapting Walter Issac’s book into a movie. Kutcher’s movie should be more like the Pirates of Silicon Valley where it only capture a section of Steve’s life.