Microsoft renews ‘buy a PC, get a free Xbox’ promo for students

People are always comparing and contrasting PCs and consoles, but of course, the ideal is to have both platforms. For students, doubling up will be just as easy this year as it was last year. Microsoft has renewed its promotion that makes students eligible for a free Xbox 360 if they purchase a PC worth a certain price.

Here are the criteria, in Microsoft’s words:

Starting May 20th in the U.S., students who buy a qualifying Windows PC worth $699 or more at participating retailers can get a 4GB Xbox 360 console for free, just like last year! Starting May 18th in Canada, students who buy a Windows PC worth $599 or more can also get a 4GB Xbox 360 console for free!
Participating retailers in the US include Best Buy, Dell.com, Fry’s Electronics, HPDirect.com, Microsoft Stores, and NewEgg.com. In Canada, they include Best Buy, Dell.ca, Future Shop, Staples and The Source.

Not sure why Canadians get a sweeter deal, but okay. Oh, and obviously, providing student ID will be a must in either country. Those e-tailers and retailers aren’t just going to let anyone youthful-looking walk off with a free Xbox.

Even if you’re a die-hard PC gamer, I think it’s hard to take issue with the promotion. Xbox 360 exclusives remain a reality, and the console offers a different multiplayer experience than the PC. I hope this won’t encourage students to buy cut-rate PCs without decent graphics, though.

• WaltC

Microsoft is still trying to sell more XBox-Live subscriptions, no doubt…;) Why am I smiling about that?

I can think of a million (well, maybe not a *million*) things Microsoft might have offered a PC buyer other than an xBox. I mean, who is responsible for DX11? Microsoft. Who is responsible for the current DX9 & < restricted xBox design? Microsoft. If you’ve ever wanted to know why the dearth of DX11-*required* games exists–just ask Microsoft for the answer. It’s two syllables: x-box.

Why not a ~$300 DX11-supporting 3d card from nVidia or AMD? Better yet, why not a coupon allowing a $300 discount on a 3d-card from nVidia or AMD?

How about a bundle of 5 games from a selection pool of, say, 100 of the best current and recent games? Including something like Skyrim for PC, which includes the incredible advantage over consoles of MODS–because mods and consoles don’t mix, etc.?

Basically, how about anything that supports all of the work Microsoft does to promote gaming for Windows? Like the continuing development of D3d, for instance? Every month I download another set of Catalysts that Microsoft has certified with their WHQL stamp. What’s the point if Microsoft is going to push consoles which forever retard the chances of developers coding for DX11 just because the xBox cannot support anything > than D3d 9 in hardware?

This is one area–and there might be more–in which Microsoft is schizophrenic.

By doing this, Microsoft will ensure that prospective console gamers are always going to pay more for the their games than those found on the PC, and that DX9 is going to hang around for another couple of years even though people like me bought DX11-capable gpus two years ago and even further back than that.

• Bensam123

And this is why GFWL is such a steaming pile of ass and why Valve can make a killing if they make their platform more couch worthy. Why would you care about a console when it’s so easy to hook a PC up to a TV?

*screams towards the sky* Valve get more people to read message boards, so they can see what we’re saying!!!

• sweatshopking

idk, xbox makes home theatre pretty easy… i don’t have one, i use a laptop, but my bro’s xbox is pretty nifty.

• Bensam123

As far as ease of use, a PC is up there too… All you have to do is pop in a disc and go fullscreen.

• ronch

Man, what a sweet deal. Wish it’s available where I live.

• Chun¢

From what I’ve seen this year in the dorms is that Microsoft found a winner with this one.

• kamikaziechameleon

Microsoft always had a stronger dorm presence because HALO was a lan games and dorm networks allowed any and all xboxes plugged directly into the dorm network to lan. As a result Everyone got them. I even bought a controller to play on my sweet mates box. PS3 has never featured games that utilized lan play very well, or even supported a fun/functional split screen.

• BobbinThreadbare

Resistance had a great co-op mode.

Edit: Also you can’t play even LAN multiplayer without a gold account on Xbox.

• EsotericLord

False. You can too play LAN on the 360 without gold accounts. You don’t even need offical silver accounts. Any XBox account will do.

I do it allll the time with Halo Reach.

• BobbinThreadbare

Weird, I’ve tried with Forza 3 and it doesn’t work.

• CampinCarl

Keep in mind that this also applies to laptop sales, and $599 worth of laptop is a hell of a lot of laptop. If I didn’t already have a 360 I’d consider this mightily. As it stands, I’ll probably be waiting a bit longer to get a laptop. Maybe next year!

• Jakubgt

What if you want to save a bit of money and build your own computer?

• Peldor

Then you can spend your saved money on whatever you want.

• grantmeaname

Instead of that, don’t do that, then sell the Xbox for a $175 “discount”.

• BobbinThreadbare

99.99% of students buying a computer for college buy a laptop.

• Chun¢

Then you probably won’t be using Xbox live, and Microsoft still gets paid.

• gmskking

An Xbox is worthless with 4GB

• crabjokeman

No it’s not. Also, you can add a drive if you wish…

• Ricardo Dawkins

Get a cheap 16GB USB drive….

• albundy

i wouldn’t have included “with 4GB”

that might have pissed off people.

• DeadOfKnight

[quote<]An Xbox is worthless[/quote<] fixed

Even if it’s free, it still has resale value. Good grief, you have to be stupid or something.

• DeadOfKnight

I know that, I was just poking fun. Geez…

Everyone takes everything so damn seriously…

• Arclight

Hmm maybe Microsoft wants as many people to have an old a$$ xbox 360 and when the new one comes out in a year or so, they will feel like sh*t for not having the latest and greatest and they will all buy the new one, just to be “in fashion” sort of speak.

After all how many of you are using the previous generation xbox and feel proud about that? Well except angry video game nerds ofc.

• deathBOB

wut

• crabjokeman

Sounds like a stretch. More likely, MS wants to encourage people to buy Xbox games.

• Arclight

Just brain storming, it’s very likely i’m wrong. Just talking….

• MadManOriginal

You’re talking about Microsoft not Apple – Microsoft doesn’t depend upon a flock of sheep buying their latest gadget yearly.

• Voldenuit

Instead, it sells a 7 year old piece of hardware at inflated prices?

• swaaye

This deal is just MS using an advantage over their competitors to gain both PC and console market share at the same time.

BTW, a modded original Xbox is a pretty sweet retro gaming machine. I also used mine as a media center for years, until H.264 rips and Netflix streaming took off and made it useless for that.

If you feel “proud” about what you game on, you should probably re-examine more than the hardware.

• DeadOfKnight

I’m so proud to be a PC gamer that I subscribe for the magazine to be sent to me at work even though I don’t read it there.

• Arclight

I abandoned consoles in the 90’s and in early 2000s i started using desktop PCs heavily, though for a long time i didn’t knew much about the hardware inside. I’ve red a lot of articles and review to educate myself, at a basic level ofc, for a few years and finally i planned a build, ordered the parts and assembled them myself.

The money used were all earned by me. It’s my work why shouldn’t i feel proud? People that buy a nice cars or houses, should they not feel proud? How is this different?

I find it hard to live up to your expectations of a normal human. You must truelly be a monk and you probably gave up most of your earthly possesions. I could respect that but i can’t be like you.

• DeadOfKnight

Lol Wut

• Arclight

Huh?

PC as a form of property? What’s so hard to get?

Being proud (boastful, invested enough to shout it out in a public forum) of any electronic gadget is probably a bigger sign that you have confused priorities than a sign you’re awesome.

• dpaus

[quote<]Not sure why Canadians get a sweeter deal, but okay[/quote<] Because we have way hotter co-eds. [quote<]I hope this won't encourage students to buy cut-rate PCs without decent graphics, though[/quote<] At $599?!? You better hope systems based on those Trinity chips are shipping already....

• UberGerbil

[quote<]Because we have way hotter co-eds.[/quote<]Who are going to be ignored since the guys got this great deal on gaming hardware. Of course those guys will be playing [i<]just one more[/i<] game not only when they should be dating but also when they should be studying, so still more of them will flunk out and the gender gap in college attendance and graduation rates will continue to worsen. Also, "co-eds"? What is this, Mad Men?

• dpaus

Bingo on every point; I recently got Netflix and have been watching episodes of ‘Mad Men’ and ‘Community’, both of which I missed first time around.