Gigabyte teases world’s lightest notebook

Everyone and their mother seems to be producing aluminum-clad notebooks these days. We’ve heard rumors that high-tech fiberglass and plastic cases will be found in the next wave of ultrabooks, which should help to lower prices. Gigabyte’s upcoming X11 notebook appears to be pursuing a different direction. An invitation for the X11’s launch event states that Gigabyte has “discovered the 6th element.” Carbon sits at number six on the periodic table, suggesting that the X11 will be wrapped in carbon fiber.

A carbon fiber shell would fit with the invitation’s assertion that the X11 is the “lightest notebook on earth.” Interestingly, the X11 isn’t referred to as an ultrabook. Perhaps it’s not thin enough to meet Intel’s requirements—or maybe it has AMD hardware under the hood. We’ll know for certain on May 31, which is when Gigabyte plans to unveil the X11 to the press.

The launch event is being held in the week before the Computex trade show in Taipei, Taiwan. Evidently, Gigabyte doesn’t want its new baby getting lost in the flurry of news that accompanies the show.

As a cycling enthusiast, I’ve developed a bit of a fetish for carbon fiber over the years. I’m quite excited by the prospect of seeing the material used in notebooks, although the X11 wouldn’t be the first. The fact that Gigabyte touts the X11’s lightness is a little worrying, though. I think we’ve long passed the point of diminishing returns on that front, and notebook makers seem all too eager to sacrifice battery life to shave a few grams.

• mattthemuppet

how much of a laptop’s weight is the case though? 50%? I know a typical 6 cell li-ion battery is ~1/2lb, screen, cooling system, MB and HDD another 1lb? I’m just wondering how much weight they can shave off by using carbon fiber. Even if a carbon fiber chassis/ case is 1/2 the weight of a plastic one (a huge stretch at that), it’ll only drop 1/2-3/4lb off the total weight. Even if that were possible, the cost would be prohibitive.

• Voldenuit

‘Lightest [b<]production[/b<] notebook', or 'lightest notebook [b<]ever[/b<]'? If the latter, they will have to outdo the 2004 [url=http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1970<]Sony Vaio X505[/url<], which weighed 1.85 lbs. Although it's possible there's something even lighter out there*. *OK, Sony beat themselves with the 1.6 lb [url=http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/10/08/sony-touts-its-new-vaio-x-series-as-worlds-lightest-notebook/<]Vaio X[/url<]. Anyway, it seems Gigabyte has quite a tall challenge to hurdle. Best of luck to them.

• axeman

Q: how long does the battery last?
      A: five seconds

• axeman

I’d be more interested in a really heavy “ultra portable” Seriously. Get some ULV processor goodness with a honking battery. Don’t try to give me a DTR with pathetic battery life, give me a 6 lb laptop that has a battery life of two days. Maybe it wouldn’t work, though – bigger laptops have bigger screens, and what % of the power draw is the screen these days?

• ludi

That configuration already exists — it’s called an external rechargeable battery pack.

What you are requesting is so specialized relative to how most people use and carry their machines that it’s unlikely anyone will make it for you. The closest variant I can think of, is the dual-purpose optical drive/spare battery bay that is (or used to be) found in some business-class notebooks.

• bthylafh

Or an automotive battery with a transformer to get voltage to the required level.

Good luck getting that on the airplane.

• ludi

Just label it “ESSENTIAL MEDICAL DEVICE!!11” and then affix a fake FCC ID#. Bonus points if you can convince TSA that everyone in the airplane will die if you do NOT have it with you.

• axeman

Bonus points if you don’t end up getting a cavity search…

• axeman

I was being slightly facetious. I am disappointed, though that the 15″ screen notebook doesn’t seem to have gotten better battery life, only more performance which is lost on most users (especially corporate warrior types, but myself included, hell all I’m doing is email, web and ssh). I’d trade Core i5 performance for Core 2 Duo performance levels plus another 2 hours of battery life. Since no one wants to try this, I guess I need to carry 10 lbs of extra batteries instead, thus the facetious post. As soon as you start looking at lower power laptops, they shrink the batteries too, to the point it’s ridiculous.

Ultrabooks would be *much* more compelling with slightly heavier waistlines and insane (in a good way) battery life IMO.

Mind you, for the corporate email/conferencing types, tablets and smartphones are going to replace notebooks for 3/4 of these people anyhow, at least for the mundane stuff.

edit: and apparently I can get it, or something close. X220 with a Sandy Bridge processor and battery “slice” can achieve something like 24 hours of runtime in a 5.5 lb package. Ain’t cheap though.

• Sunburn74

I don’t need 24 hours of runtime for any mobile device. I need about 6-7 hrs of runtime max (probably closer to 5 hours if I can have my screen on full brightness).

• brucethemoose

What’s wrong with the HP Folio?

And undervolting can do wonders in a laptop.

• ozymandias

vaio Z series with extended battery? Haven’t tested it beyond 8 hours of work yet but definable an option

(and you can change the extended battery whilst you are working, so a second backpack with charged batteries is another option)

• axeman

Meh, still has a 35 watt processor.

• smilingcrow

I thought the issue was battery life? I had a Dell Latitude with a 35W i5 and it had excellent battery life and currently have a Vostro with an i5 (35W) that does really well with a regular 6 cell battery. At idle or low CPU loads the 35W is not an issue.

• cynan

Or you could just buy a Lenovo T420 with the 9 cell battery and 9 cell battery slice that clips on to the bottom. Should be around 6 lbs all in and such a config would easily give you 20 hrs of battery life and should easily outlast most computing needs over 2 days. (Lenovo claims up to 30 hrs, but I bet that’s pushing it). No need to shut down and swap batteries either with the slice.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Interestingly, the X11 isn't referred to as an ultrabook. Perhaps it's not thin enough to meet Intel's requirements—or maybe it has AMD hardware under the hood.[/quote<] Maybe it has Atom/Brazos in it. Or - gasp - ARM...

• dpaus

The world’s lightest ARM-based notebook is my phone.

• madseven

love to see it do some autocad and photoshop.

• chµck

phones actually have some decently featured photo manipulation programs. Not near as powerful as photoshop, but that may be just because no one has tried writing a program like that.

• NeelyCam

I think something like a cloud-based photo manipulation would be a great phone cloud app. It doesn’t take too long to upload/download a photo, and a server somewhere would do a great job manipulating the photo without sucking the battery dry

• bthylafh

And? There are plenty of low-end net/notebooks that aren’t able to run modern versions of either because they’re too slow.

Never mind that dpaus’s phone is obviously not a notebook.

• axeman

Photoshop might be amazing on the capabilities front, but also on the bloatware front, as is all of Adobe’s software. Adobe Acrobat takes up more hard disk space than the entire MS Office Suite….

• SPOOFE

The only justification I’ve heard for calling Photoshop “bloatware” has been “most people won’t use 99% of its features”. However, features that are useless to most can still be incredibly useful to some. Why do you think Photoshop should be considered bloatware?

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Why do you think Photoshop should be considered bloatware?[/quote<] Because: [quote<]"Adobe Acrobat takes up more hard disk space than the entire MS Office Suite...."[/quote<]

• SPOOFE

If I scratched my head in confusion I would dig right through my skull.

• axeman

Um, isn’t that the definition of bloatware? Sorry for mentioning the Acrobat thing, because apparently that is too confusing for you! I don’t know the exact footprint of PhotoShop – Adobe says 1GB, but I don’t really believe them. All those features hardly anyone uses contribute to bigger disk footprints, among other things. Install footprints are still a big deal with the switch to SSDs for some of us. Not to mention all that extra code for security flaws to lurk in. PhotoShop isn’t even close to the worst Adobe product, though, so probably just misdirected Adobe rage.

You try dealing with a bunch of corporate users with the budget to buy Master Collection licenses on a whim, and see how you like Adobe! 😛

• SPOOFE

[quote<]Um, isn't that the definition of bloatware?[/quote<] Um, no, it isn't. If it's a useful feature it's not bloat. We're talking about professional photo manipulation software being used by people who don't need most of its features. [quote<] Sorry for mentioning the Acrobat thing, because apparently that is too confusing for you![/quote<] The only thing that's confusing is this notion that Acrobat = Photoshop. [quote<] I don't know the exact footprint of PhotoShop - Adobe says 1GB, but I don't really believe them.[/quote<] Well, Photoshop isn't necessarily just "Photoshop"; a huge amount of the program space involves interoperability within Adobe's whole suite of products, of which there are very many. If you just want to tweak the colors of a photo and throw on an Unsharp Mask to make it look sharper scaled down for Facebook, Photoshop is definitely overkill, but that doesn't mean that it's bloated. [quote<] All those features hardly anyone uses[/quote<] That doesn't mean bloat. That means users are getting software they don't need to accomplish what they wish to accomplish. Specifics. Your response is so generic and vague that it's absolutely useless. What is it about Photoshop that is bloated?

• sschaem

My copy of James Bond Casino royal takes 49 Gigabyte.. is this James Bond ‘bloat video’ ?

The other issue is that photoshop is used to manipulate gigabytes upon gigabytes of media, so if the thing takes 10meg or 500meg ‘nobody’ cares.

For people that care, I’m guessing photoshop.com is enough ?

Took me 10 second to install photoshop for the first time on an airport wifi on a C60 netbook and got some webcam picture online seconds later.
            Seem fine… but I’m not ready to edit a CYMK 16k x 16k poster on this c60… but I think it would be OK with a good SSD.

• dpaus

Actually, my phone is an HP Pre3. But I got Motorola Atrixes or Atricies or whatever for the service staff, and with a 960 x 540 screen and a real keyboard, I say they [i<]are[/i<] notebooks. And madseven, they run our 9-1-1 dispatch software on them - via ssh, of course, but with a full mouse+keyboard interface (thanks to the majic that is Bluetooth) NeelyCam has an Atrix too - he should have known all this 🙂 EDIT: those Motorola phones are so powerful; perhaps they should be called DominAtrixes?

• BobbinThreadbare

I thumbs you up just for the pun.

• NeelyCam

I can’t fit that keyboard in my pocket so my phone is just a phone… that has sh*t phone call quality

• sweatshopking

check out the nokia lumia. Nokia has the best call quality, and the sexiest OS.

• NeelyCam

I still got 5mo before I can upgrade..

• dpaus

{considers staging a ‘contract kool-aid intervention’ party for his friend NeelyCam}

• NeelyCam

Unless you can point me to a non-contract provider that 1) has good coverage where I roam, 2) solid datarates and 3) decent prices, don’t bother..

Although it’s supremely cool to hate on AT&T, I’ve been happy with them for years. None of the other large providers (Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint) seem to have good coverage, and I only consider phones I can use in Europe with a local SIM card

• dpaus

Can you not get a month-to-month/pay-as-you-go service contract with AT&T??

• sweatshopking

there is an official photoshop application for iOS.

• bittermann

or maybe just a couple fingers or an elbow….zing!

I’m bored… 😐

• NeelyCam

Then get back to work… or if you don’t have work, go Occupy