Report: 7” Google tablet to ship next month

Word has it Google is cooking up a 7-inch Android tablet of its own, and according to the latest story by DigiTimes, that tablet will begin shipping next month. The site quotes "sources from the upstream supply chain" who expect initial shipments of 600,000 units in preparation for a launch in July.

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard about the device. Back in January, DigiTimes reported that Google was prepping a $199 tablet with a 7" display and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to compete against Amazon’s Kindle Fire. (The Kindle Fire, of course, has the same display size and price tag, but it runs a customized version of Android 2.3 bereft of Google branding.) At the time, DigiTimes expected a launch in March or April. The site now says the release was "delayed to July for some minor adjustments" because "design and costs did not reach its expectations."

Google has reportedly teamed up with Asus to produce the 7" tablet. That’s interesting, because we actually saw a 7" Tegra 3 tablet at Asus’ CES suite back in January—and Asus went on to show off the device during an Nvidia presentation at the show. At the time, a $249 price tag was quoted. Lately, though, Nvidia has been teasing its Kai platform, which is supposed to enable $199 Tegra 3 tablets. Perhaps the upcoming Google device will be one of those.

I’ll buy this just to see Android without the added crap from carriers/vendors.

Samsung’s Touchwiz isn’t awful, but it did delay me getting ICS for over six months, and in the land of 1-year warranties and 2-year contracts, that’s pretty unacceptable.

• funko

To me it seems like $150 would’ve been the “oh why not, nothing to lose” price range, but $199 still seems low enough that i’d preorder one and sel it off at $100+ if i didn’t like it.

I used to dislike the idea of a smaller-than-10-inch tablet. because the iPad/Transformer seems so functional in the bedroom/living room/coffee shop/airplane situation. However, During the Fall through early Spring months here in NYC, my 6″ Kindle fits into most of my coat pockets, and saves me the hassle of carrying a bag during many days that i’m out and about. so a 7″ tablet in a similar dimension seems practical for people in urban environments with moderate climates like NYC.

Also, now that my 6 year old 14″ laptop (Latitude D620 upgraded to C2D at 2.33ghz) is nearing its end of life (although it could easily last another 1-2 years) a 11 or 12″ ultraportable like the HP dm1z or a MBA 11″ seems like the ideal option at that size as my portable computer when i carry a bag around

if its $250, i would hold off on a preorder and wait a couple months to read impressions and reviews before i decide.

-2 cents

• blastdoor

Asus? Why did Google buy Motorola again? Tax break for charitable contributions?

• Ringofett

The purchase just got approved earlier this week, didn’t it? This might’ve predated it, and it lets them pretend to not play favorites for a short while. If the next generation didn’t launch with Motorola first, then I’d be surprised

• HighTech4US2

Patents

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m still holding out for a transformer prime HD.

• gmskking

Sounds nice. I wonder if 7″ will be enough. Might be just the right size for tablet. I would take this everywhere I go.

• demani

7″ is often enough, but usually if you pay for a few drinks beforehand it doesn’t even come up as an issue.

• JMccovery

Good one, old chap! You certainly ribbed him!

• gmskking

Lol, I tried to word it so it wouldn’t be so obvious. I could have made it much worse. 🙂

• demani

As could I, but I figured only being two posts in was a little soon to bring everything into the gutter.

• mcnabney

If it has an IPS 1280×800 screen and Tegra3 it will be just fine. Even with 16GB of storage.