Dell Windows 8 tablet specs leaked

Once Windows 8 comes out later this year, PC vendors will no doubt be falling over themselves to offer tablets featuring the new operating system. Thanks to the folks at Neowin, we’ve now gotten a little preview of what Dell might have up its sleeve. The site has posted a leaked presentation slide with full specifications for the Latitude 10, an upcoming Windows 8 tablet with a 10.1" display.

Assuming the slide is genuine, the Latitude 10 will have a 1366×768 display resolution, a dual-core Atom processor, 2GB of DDR2 memory, up to 128GB of solid-state storage, and a swappable battery with a capacity of either 30 or 60 watt-hours. Neowin says run times will range from as little as six hours with the smaller battery to as much as 12 hours with the larger one. Other amenities will include front and rear cameras and a fingerprint reader.

Physically, the device will purportedly tip the scales at 1.57-1.63 lbs depending on the configuration, and it will be 0.4 inches thick. Apple’s new iPad, for reference, weighs 1.44-1.46 lbs and measures 0.37" in thickness. So, it looks like the Dell tablet will be a fatter and heavier, but not considerably so.

The one missing piece of data, of course, is the Latitude 10’s price. Neowin says this might only be one of several Windows 8 tablets Dell has in the pipeline, though, so I’m sure there will be options for everyone come this fall.

• A_Pickle

Hurr durr Atom.

Seriously. I’ll break from the mold of geek sites: I’m looking forward to Windows 8. I love the idea of a tablet, but I just find Android to be a weak operating system, not nearly as stable as I require, and riddled with ads. I don’t enjoy the experience. It’s why I’m voluntarily on my fourth Palm Treo Pro – a Windows Mobile 6.1-running smartphone. I prefer Windows Mobile to Android.

I want my PC, and everything I can do with it, in the convenience of a tablet. To put an Atom processor in a tablet is just stupid. I don’t want an Atom processor. Atoms are the most deliberately anemic CPU’s I’ve ever used. I can’t stand them. I don’t understand the netbook craze.

I want a Windows 8 tablet with USB 3.0, HDMI, a high DPI touchscreen, and an AMD Trinity CPU. That would be better than sex.

• OneArmedScissor

[quote<]...a swappable battery with a capacity of either 30 or 60 watt-hours. Neowin says run times will range from as little as six hours with the smaller battery to as much as 12 hours with the larger one.[/quote<] Uh...problem: The updated iPad 2 runs 15 hours on a 25w battery. That would be 36 hours with a 60w battery! Think that's because it's slower? Well, there are laptops with 13" screens and Sandy Bridge CPUs that run 10 hours on 48w batteries. They'd probably go even longer if you put them in power saver mode, which I haven't seen anyone test. I just don't understand Atom. They have changed it repeatedly, and something always seems to be wrong with it. The new version for servers is only going to be 10% faster per clock, and that's compared to one that doesn't even have an integrated memory controller. What are they doing with this thing?!?

• chuckula

When looking at systems like this, I wouldn’t focus too much on one component like the Atom [b<]especially[/b<] when Steve Ballmer has already voiced loud complaints at Qualcomm that Windows 8 on ARM has terrible battery life... you might want to look at the software instead of the hardware as the main culprit here.

• jpostel

Agreed. A good example would be to compare the battery life of a laptop running similar benchmarks (looping video, refreshing websites, etc.) across Linux, Windows, and MacOS.

The battery life comparisons I have seen on something like the Macbook Air, shows that it runs for about an hour longer on MacOS than it does on Windows.

[url<]http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/25/macbook-air-review-mid-2011/[/url<]

• blastdoor

It makes a lot of sense to me to target this at business users. I’m sure there are a lot of IT groups out there who hate hate hate the idea of having to support any non-MS products. This will give them the excuse to keep iPads out of their organizations, at least for a little while longer. I can imagine that the IT people at my employer will at least buy a couple of these for evaluation purposes.

• mcnabney

They probably can’t sell this for more than $400. The SSD is a $100 goodie, but the rest of the equipment is straight from the cheapo netbook bin. The 3rd Gen iPad will completely pound it at the $500 point.

I am also fuzzy on the idea of an x86 ‘business’ tablet. The benefit of x86 allows legacy applications, but 99.999% of the legacy apps that businesses are concerned with are going to want a mouse/keyboard and may not be functional with a touchscreen.

• willmore

The whole US medical industry seems like a fairly large market.

• mcnabney

My doctor uses a Windows7 Tablet. Sure, it is thick and cludgy, but it has a 15″ screen, a decent processor and GPU. My second HTPC runs on a dual-core Atom and it is a slow and tedious performer. It get the job I want done, since it is a backup generally used by the kids to watch stuff like Phineas and Ferb, however I would never tolerate such a lousy performer for serious tasks. Sure Atom can run simple Aps fine, but it just doesn’t run real applications very well.

• nafhan

Uhm… it sounds like you are assuming that a keyboard and mouse couldn’t be VERY easily attached to this thing. I would be shocked if they didn’t sell some sort laptop dock accessory out of the gate. This would allow a traveler to cut down on the number of devices they carry without losing the ability to run Windows applications. Seems like a good fit for business to me…

Also, I think that “legacy” Windows applications may be usable with on screen keyboards. Not really sure about that, though.

• willmore

Bluetooth keyboard/mouse, maybe?

• mcnabney

Possible, but how many businesses make purchasing decisions based upon what they think they can get their IT guys to carble together?

• willmore

Considering how many lashed together systems I’ve seen. I’d say ‘lots’.

• dpaus

…and I’d say ‘most’

• crabjokeman

[quote<]PC vendors will no doubt be falling over themselves to offer tablets featuring the new operating system.[/quote<] I have my doubts...

• allreadydead

mmmm, am I the only one who really liked [url=http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/lenovos-ideapad-yoga-convertible-tablet-runs-windows-8-is-set/<]Lenono Yoga's[/url<] concept ? A real notebook with the ability of using it as tablet seems really cool thing to me. And it has IPS touchscreen and stuff too.. Ok, the flip screen is a bit wierd but I can only hope not too much for a daily use 🙂

• burntham77

You are not alone. So far that is the most interesting Windows tablet I have seen so far. I’d even be willing to pay a premium for that kind of flexibility.

• majortom1981

Please keep in mind this is a dell lattitude. The business version. Businesses need different things from a tablet then home users need.

Wait for the home tablets before making comments.

PS an xps inspiron duo update slide has also been leaked.

• khands

While businesses may find use for tablets, there’s really no such thing as a “business tablet”.

• OneArmedScissor

Then I guess there’s no such thing as a business smartphone! Backwards day is fun.

• mcnabney

Uhm, what do you think a Blackberry is/was?

• Rza79

Don’t get sarcasm?

• willmore

Weird, then. I wonder what those things the nurses and doctors in every pediatrician’s office I’ve taken my kids to are. They sure look like tablets. I’m also pretty sure pediatricians count as businesses.

• OneArmedScissor

This has been my experience, as well. I’ve also seen more people in the financial industry using them for work than I’ve seen people just playing with them in a coffee shop.

It always makes me laugh that people bash tablets by specifically using the qualifier of “real” work. They know they can be used for work in general, but they try to act as if they’re somehow unproductive. Yes, the cashier at the dry cleaner who does not add much to society does not necessarily have much of a use for a tablet.

But if doctors aren’t doing real work, then who is?

Before tablets, they were already using things like small Thinkpad X series and HP Elitebook laptops with touch screens for taking signatures, so this isn’t really anything new. Blackberries have been around forever. I have a doctor who actually just uses a phone and doesn’t even have a computer in his personal office space.

• ludi

Translation: My scope of work as presently defined in my industry, would not benefit from a tablet.

The world of business and industry is a bit bigger than just you, however.

• dragmor

Please educate yourself, not everything is consumer orientated.

[url<]http://www.tabletpc.com.au/product/3732/39995/motion-computing-f5v-tablet-pc/[/url<]

• chuckula

Hrmm:

Atom: Good for backwards compatibility plus if you read MS’s documentation the use of x86 means this tablet will be open for reflashing with Linux/Android, which should be pretty nice. The use of a standardized x86 part opens up a large range of possible modifications that won’t be possible with the WOA tablets.

1366×768: OK for a 10″ tablet screen, but retina is obviously much nicer.

swappable battery: FTW!

128 GB of storage: Very nice too.

DELL: Well there’s the monkey-wrench ruining what might otherwise be a nice product.

• burntham77

Considering most people look at their tablets at about two feet from their face, that low resolution actually could be an issue.

• jdaven

It will be discontined in less than a year just like every attempt Dell makes in a new market (see mp3 players , cell phones, ultra portables, luxury laptops, etc).

• mcnabney

Wow! 1/4 of the resolution the market leader offers, now that will catch people’s eye.

• chuckula

Considering the iPad 2 has a lower resolution and nobody seemed to complain too much when it came out, I’m not sure this is the end of the world (although higher resolutions are always nice).

Atom 🙁

• khands

Would much rather have had brazzos in there myself :/

• Mourmain

Brazzors?

• rrr

Like brazzors pern?

Yeah. Atom = catastrophics graphics capabilities.

Last time I checked, the #1 reason for buying a tablet was for media consumption – something the Atom always struggled with, whether it was gaming or video playback….

• NeelyCam

I rather have long battery life

• dpaus

1366 x 768 🙁 They should drop the SSD and sell it at $300, because that’s all it’s worth.

Oh I missed that. I could see the turd for the disease….