5” LG display has IPS tech and 1080p resolution

Forget 720p smartphone displays. LG has developed a 5″ screen that serves up 1920×1080 pixels. Do the math, and that’s 440 pixels per inch—a substantial leap over the 326 ppi offered by the iPhone 4’s Retina display. The screen is based on an AH-IPS panel that LG says offers precise color reproduction and wide viewing angles. In its press release, which has been posted by Engadget, the company claims the display is “ideal for use in outdoor settings. Brighter light transmission is mentioned specifically, along with lower power consumption, suggesting LG has done more than simply crank the backlight brightness.

Although 5″ screens seem a little large for smartphones, the Samsung Galaxy Note already sports a slightly larger 5.3″ display. I’m seeing an increasing number of Galaxy Notes in the hands of tech enthusiasts and mainstream users alike. Smartphone screens in the mid-4″ range seem to be the new normal, making the jump to 5” much less daunting than it would have been even a year ago.

LG says its mini 1080p panel will be available in the second half of this year, so there’s further time to acclimatize. The screen will be shown at the Society for Information Display exhibition in Boston next week.

I used to think jumbo-sized smartphones were a bit silly, but I’ve become rather excited about the prospect of pocketable devices that deliver all the functionality and performance of modern tablets. This LG display looks just about perfect for the growing segment of “superphones” that seem to be shooting for that ideal.

• moog

So how does this 5″ compare in battery life to a 5″ normal-res, and retina displays?

If it meant I could have longer battery life and help save the planet by using a lower power retina-res or normal-res (yet not lose significant functionality), I would pick that.

• MrBojangles

This is just a upgraded version of the screen on my lg nitro hd….The always overlooked and forgotten bastard child of the first lte wave. Has a 4.5″ “True HD IPS” screen with a true 16.9 layout (when horizontal ) and a 1280×720 res giving it 329 ppi also just edging out the retina display. This screen really is gorgeous. I’ve had the liberty of comparing it side by side. To the retina and super amoled and it easly trumps both.

• pogsnet
    • Namarrgon

Sounds awesome, so long as you habitually hold your phone 8 inches from your face (or have the vision of an eagle). But if you don’t, then you just get to halve your performance (& double your battery drain) for no benefit. Mobile screens have already reached 20/20 vision limits at normal distances (11-12 inches).

I’ve been pushing for hdpi screens for over a decade, and even I think this is verging on overkill. It’s very impressive, but I’d swap it in a heartbeat for an affordable 4K monitor.

• Bensam123

Good thing Apple put all that R&D into high resolution displays paving the way to the future for the rest of us! /sarcasm

It’s nice to see big panel companies finally moving out of the ‘HD’ resolution phase. While this isn’t a full size monitor, I’m sure someone at LG has to be smart enough to wonder what it would be like sitting behind one at their desk. While I don’t have a lot of faith in big companies leading innovation anymore, that has to be a gimmie.

• DarkUltra

I think my 800×480 amoled windows phone res is pretty good with inky blacks, so I’d rather have higher refresh rate this time.

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4[/url<] But that has more to do with the speed of the phone and the display controller.

• Pantsu

That’s something I’d expect for Note 2. The current Note doesn’t seem all that responsive to the S pen, but rather laggy.

I’m looking for an update to my SGS, and big screen is one of the main things I’m looking for, in addition to camera quality. Unfortunately what I’m not looking forward to is a €600+ price tag.

Yo, LG, I’m really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but I just got to say OLED screens are the best screens you can have in a phone.

• cynan

Height of Irony?

3 guesses of the resolution offered in LG’s recent ultrabook releases: X Note [url=https://techreport.com/discussions.x/22110<]Z330[/url<], [url=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398771,00.asp<]Z430[/url<]

• Wirko

What about the matrix type? Is it TN, T/N or maybe even T.N.?

• Alexko

I feel like there should be a comment in this thread about 1366×768 laptops. So here it is.

• willmore

That’d be okay for a 3″ screen.

• Duck

No, that sort of resolution is only good enough for a digital watch.

• Meadows

I use that resolution for the Power LED on my computer case.

• Wirko

You’ve gathered 7 thumbs up without even telling us if you love them or hate them!
      No offense but you get -1 from me just for moderation (think graphite rods).

• anotherengineer

Nice LG, now stitch 25 of these together into a 25″ pc monitor that’s 9600×5400 so I can enjoy me some nice crisp hi res pics.

• ludi

Sure…if you’re ready and willing to pay about $2200 for it. Four-way SLI not included, of course.

• Bensam123

The product will come down in price through demand. You need the product first so anotherengineer can purchase it and drive down prices for the rest of us.

Prices never fall because demand is high.

• Bensam123

I disagree… Higher demand means more manufacturers will produce more panels in that price range, competition will lower the price, as will refined manufacturing after the initial startup. It’s not about the initial relation, but subsequent consequences of the initial relationship.

• dpaus

I used to pay $5,000 for 20″ 1024×768 CRTs, damn right I’d pay $2,200 for that

• anotherengineer

wow someone that’s older than I am 😉

• Farting Bob

Nah this was 4 years ago, he just got ripped off.

• NeelyCam

That’s what Eyefinity was meant for.

• anotherengineer

Well, desk space is limited, 3 monitors and I would be out of desk!! It’s already full with one 22″ widescreen and one 19″ 5:4 lcd.

And that still doesnt give me the high dpi either.

I am far sighted, so if I am any closer than 18″ to my lcds, I can make out the individual pixels, and add the anti-glare coating and it’s kinda grainy from my perspective.

Although my eyesight is starting to weaken in my old age, I still think it would be nice to have an 8 bit AH-IPS 25″ monitor with 9600×5400 resolution 🙂

Although I would have to keep the 22″ for games.

• Silus

And it’s a beauty! Although 5” is way too big for a smartphone, unless they start ditching the buttons and all that, so that the size of the whole phone is basically just the screen, plus the top for front camera, microphone, etc

I agree. I have a 4″ screen on my phone and I don’t think I’d want anything substantially bigger than that in my pocket.

• Malphas

However, you and Silus aren’t the entire smartphone market, and it’s been noticed recently that “phablet” sales are amongst the fastest growing segments of the market.

Where did I say that nobody should ever have such a device? You mistake my opinion for an edict to eradicate these things.

• xtalentx

Plenty of people would disagree with you. I have a 4.7″ screen and it’s fine. I don’t think an extra .3″ would make it unusable or uncomfortable.

• kamikaziechameleon

A 5″ screen with no buttons or other BS would be a perfect phone size IMHO. My phone with buttons is 5.25 diagonal so I’d be all over a 5″ screen assuming the edge was minimal.