Windows 8 Release Preview now available

Microsoft teased an early June debut for the Windows 8 Release Preview last month, but I guess it decided to pull the trigger early. The Windows 8 Release Preview is now out, and Windows chief Steven Sinofsky has put up an introductory post on the official Building Windows 8 blog.

According to Sinofsky, the Release Preview is the "final pre-release" version of the operating system. Next up will be the release-to-manufacturing build that will end up in retail boxes and on pre-built computers everywhere. Sinofsky expects that, if things go forward as planned, Windows 8 will enter the "final phases of the [release to manufacturing] process" in two months or so. If there are no snags there, the operating system will be out in time for the holidays.

Sinofsky adds, "Our focus from now until RTM is on continuing to maintain a quality level higher than Windows 7 in all the measures we focus on, including reliability over time; security to the core; PC, software, and peripheral compatibility; and resource utilization."

I just installed the Release Preview in VMware player, and so far, it doesn’t look all that different from the Consumer Preview that came out in February. The installation process does seem a little more polished, though, and the desktop has gotten a partial Metro makeover. As we learned earlier this month, the finished Windows 8 release will go even further in that direction, abandoning translucent UI widgets entirely in favor of a completely flat and monochrome look. Still, it’s pretty clear that we’re awfully close to the final product in terms of look and feel and usability.

If you’re not keen on installing the Release Preview via Microsoft’s automated upgrade wizard, you can grab ISO images of the installer from this page. The 64-bit ISO weighs in at 3.3GB, while the 32-bit one is a slightly more manageable 2.5GB. In both cases, you’ll want to jot down the product key printed just below the download links—the installer will ask you for it.

• elmopuddy

I installed it today, I like a lot of it, but couldn’t get my Xonar DX to work, so its back to 7 for now. I can’t say I like Metro much, but its not all that hard to avoid it. I like poking around in new OS’s, but without sound, nope.

• jstern

I’m actually starting to not mind Metro. I’m just bitter that they’re not giving the option for Start, but I’m getting used to it. A big part of it is how often I use shortcuts, like Windows Key + D to go back to the desktop. The average user is not like me, so bottom line they really should give people the options. None the less, I in particular can use Metro.

• Madman

Well, being Windows user for a long time, I have also found that I can stand the OS overall, if I try to, but it doesn’t feel right.

Only knowing most keyboard shortcuts by heart, I can have somewhat full desktop experience. Sort of like a constant don’t “use start button – don’t step into poo” kind of feeling.

After more testing, I really feel polish in some OS departments, but again, it’s the constant, don’t press start button, don’t touch corners, kind of feeling. Because once you do that, it’s all show and no go…

And IMHO, metro apps or desktop PC are awful. Too big, to hard to navigate, no multitasking whatsoever. Even though they might look pretty. I’m better of opening a new tab in a browser that does the same thing, because there is an easy way to get away from it. Contrary to dragging stuff from screen top to bottom. This also fixes the horizontal scrolling issues and not being able to close/switch stuff easily.

The hybrid sleep and sleep performance, general snappiness of desktop is noticeable though.

• indeego

Thought I’d post a quick follow-up as I’ve been using this for a half-week now.

I perhaps may eat some crow. I have indeed encountered metro-style issues, and a humorous issue with my son, where he screamed from the back seat of our car trying to use our home laptop: “I hate this new system!” I kid you not, that was an exact quote.

My own issues have been:
    – Lost homegroup settings/connection. Kinda needed it at the time, also.
    – Recent items is indeed more important than I thought it was. Guess I do need it more than I thought I did.
    – Numerous explorer errors/issues on my home laptop.
    – Watchlist/metro apps have not been reliably updating. If they aren’t updating there’s zero point to use them! I still can not get skydrive to work (though works fine in browser).

While I can see some of the issues people have complained about, I do see some of the advantages as well. My son’s reaction was hilarious, he was extremely pissed I was giggling from the front seat as he raged at Windows 8 just trying to explore/get a movie going.

So yeah not all flying colors.

• LoneWolf15

Server 2012 RC is available too. I’m working on setting up VMs on my laptop so I can have a 2012 domain controller and a Win8RP VM client joined to it.

I don’t find Metro nearly as intrusive on Server, perhaps because the implementation seems a bit different. MS really appears to be pushing PowerShell hard in this release though. I have a lot to learn with PowerShell, and while I think it’s a decent scripting language, I hope Microsoft doesn’t eventually leave behind their current philosophy of having a GUI option (except for Server Core, of course).

• Arclight

Hope they will come back to their senses with Windows 9.

I installed this at work, since this is pretty much the final version, and it’s my job to learn this OS inside out, whether I like it or not.

As a keyboard and mouse user though, I feel [b<]snubbed and betrayed[/b<] at almost every step; Especially with metro apps like photos and video not panning when your mouse hits the edge. Scroll bars are so 20th century, and an ergonomics disaster. Why, oh why hasn't this been called "Windows 7 Tablet Edition"? Honestly, if you look past Metro, the underlying OS is Windows 7, except they swapped Aero for an Explorer "up" button.

• BabelHuber

10 years ago MS tried to put the desktop version of Windows into Smartphones – remember the `Windows Everywhere` campaign?

Of course we know how this turned out , a phone is not a desktop.

This approach may be OK for devices like the Asus TF-series, but not for desktop PCs or work environments.

When you think of corporate environments, it even gets worse. There are users who aren`t tech-savy everywhere.

All those users need to be trained for Metro now. This consumes lots of time and money for nothing – the users aren`t more productive afterwards after all.

• Krogoth

Because Window 8 isn’t meant for traditional desktop user base. It “offers” nothing compelling to warrant any sort of upgrade.

It is clearly a brute force grab the lucrative portable market which is dominated by iOS and Android.

I think most of the complains for Windows 8 would evaporate if MS was more forthcoming on their intentions by naming it Windows 7 Mobile 2.0 and making it “portables only”.

• BabelHuber

Except that you’ll get Win8 with every device in one year.

It is forced upon the users even for desktops, IIRC even Windows Server will have the Metro UI!

So yes, if MS would market this as the new mobile version, only I would be OK with this. But that’s not what happens.

• FuturePastNow

[quote<]Now they want to put a phone OS on the desktop, this time ignoring the needs of desktop users.[/quote<] Not just any phone OS, one that has tanked in the market. Windows Phone 7 sales have been a disaster. Metro has spent the last year failing.

• My Johnson

I simply can’t get these release previews installed via a virtual machine. I’ve even swapped mobo’s.

• Krogoth

Believe me, you aren’t missing anything.

Start Menu didn’t go away. It just went full screen with an app store front-end slapped on.

Metro is a portable UI built with touchscreens in mind. See the problem?

• Meadows

Do you even know who you’re replying to?

• LoneWolf15

What hypervisor? VMWare Workstation works just fine for me. That includes Win8 and Server 8 Beta (I’ll be installing Server 2012 RC shortly).

If you’re running older VMWare Workstation, do not install the video driver when you install VMWare Tools, I’ve had that kill the VMs. If you’re up-to-date though, no problem.

• Krogoth

I have used Windows 8 for a bit and I have to say that I’m just disappointed.

Windows 8 = Windows 7 2.0 Mobile, there’s no way around this.

Metro UI = Fullscreen “Start Menu” + App store front-end.

Windows 8 offers nothing compelling to desktop users. Vista/7 users can safely ignore it. You aren’t missing anything.

• sweatshopking

SURPRISE!!! KROGS NOT IMPRESSED!!!!

• eliplan312

This is just horrible. I used it for about a day, but the mix of Metro and the normal UI is just horrible.

They expect us to want to use a tablet interface on a non-touch desktop with multiple hi-res screens. They also want it to use it on our servers, even though that makes no sense whatsoever.

To launch an app from the Desktop interface you have to go back to Metro. You can’t just open the start menu and click what you want, because the start menu IS Metro.

You can’t launch an app without blocking all of your screens, unless you specifically create a desktop shortcut for it.

MS isn’t letting you use their free tools to develop Desktop applications anymore, even though there are many applications not suited to Metro.

Metro is an interface specifically tailored to consumers, and when they expect people to use it for say, gaming, it’s not going to work. It’s especially bad with Windows Server 12, where you have to start with Metro, can’t disable Metro even though it’s a server, can’t develop non-metro apps without paying hundreds of dollars, and Metro takes up way more resources than the start menu.

• Madman

This got to be bad for Windows server, because full screen applications, like Metro apps, are really bad for production work 🙁

• Welch

I’m not going to bother with installing this preview… but I do ask those of you who have tried to install it whether it still requires an Internet connection just to install it? If so then this is the most corporate unfriendly piece of crap ever to be released. Also, connecting a freshly installed OS to the internet before getting an updated AV installed via a clean thumb drive? Really…… WTF Microsoft. Ballmer, please get it together man.

Those of you claiming it works just fine, and you like it.. more power to you. But I see no purpose for the Metro interface on a desktop, allow it to be disabled and 90% of my issues would be gone.

Instead of running with a damn good OS like Windows 7 and just improving on it, Microsoft thinks they are going to take the market by storm with something totally new and fresh. Unnecessary interfaces aren’t going to do it for us guys.

If any company has proven that they are out of touch with their consumers, its Microsoft. “LIVE” branding…. Enough said

(PS. read the TR article regarding MS dropping the LIVE branding as it was not effective at all)

• sweatshopking

Windows 8 has built in AV. I realize it might not be totally up to date when you install it, but it comes with the quite competent MSE.

• TREE

I have installed Windows 8 consumer preview and have been using it for a few hours. So far, it’s bad, really, really really bad – almost unbearably bad.

I am no stranger to using various operating systems and I normally quickly learn to adapt to their ‘way of interaction’. Windows 8 doesn’t have a ‘way of interaction’, it’s a mix mash of classic Control Panel with a layer slapped on top to deal with some low level and some high level Windows behaviour. Surely this should all be found within one settings location, not dozens.

Using the classic desktop requires you to use shortcut keys – no I take that back – it forces you to use shortcut keys. If you “Unpin this program from taskbar” with windows explorer there is no way, and I mean no way, to bring up windows explorer using only the mouse. This is shockingly bad design, which is also a blatant source for user error.

There is no longer the option to hit the F8 key before Windows starts loading and instead you have to access this low level functionality through the Metro settings tab, buried under menu after menu…

You know I could go on, but no one is paying me to review this operating system and I don’t want to create a bigger wall of text. This operating system is cheap and tacky. Microsoft are without a doubt in my mind going to fail with Windows 8.

Oh and for anyone wondering, Windows 8 performs no faster than Windows 7. Boot times, program launching and work load processing are near identical on a mechanical hard drive and is not any more efficient.

• Madman

[quote<]The integration of Metro with the standard Windows desktop is completely unnatural, inefficient and, most worryingly of all, extremely confused with what it wants to be.[/quote<] That perfectly sums my thoughts about the topic as well. Win8 surprises with polish in some places, and then it stomps over with some utter incompatibility or annoyance. It's a love hate relationship, and I don't want that. I can see a well polished desktop OS elements. And I can see a neat touch OS. But together they just don't mix.

• Madman

[url<]http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Windows-8-Metro-Start-Button-hack,news-38715.html[/url<] Whoa... no boot to desktop for Windows server? 😮

• TREE

Yes that is absolutely right. There are some aesthetics that work pleasantly well, for instance, the sleek sharp edged windows with less transparency (I don’t know if any transparency will remain in final release) seems much easier on the eyes, when compared to Aero. The task manager, progress bars and a few other bits and pieces that don’t come to mind right now do seem improved. However despite all this, as you have pointed out, the flaws greatly outweigh the benefits.

• sweatshopking

you’re insane about boot times. it’s near instant. i post, i’m in windows. if you’re having long boots, you’ve got a problem. I’m running an old mechanical, and it’s literally 3-5 seconds from the end of the post till im at the metro screen.

you’re right f8 doesn’t work, as it boots too fast, ms has a write up on it, explaining the new ways of doing things. [url<]http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/22/designing-for-pcs-that-boot-faster-than-ever-before.aspx[/url<] i get that some people might find the transition startling.

• Madman

Nope, they’re pretty much equal.

• Kaleid

Yes, on one website the boot was 3 seconds, a mere three seconds faster than win7.

• Madman

Ok, I just did a test… Fast boot up times are a marketing BS.

I tried with laptop from cold boot, complete power off. timer start -> power on, login screen -> timer off.

I have Win 8 on second partition, regular install
        I have Win 7 on first partition, full bitlocker encryption with USB key

Times are as follows:
        Win 8 – 39 seconds.
        Win 7 – 37 seconds.

There is a catch though.

Time to OS selection screen takes 35 seconds, which involves Windows 8 logo spinning. Therefore I’m pretty sure OS selection menu is already displayed by full blown Windows 8 instance.

Moreover, booting Windows 7 is not 37 seconds actually… It takes 1:35 and works as follows:

35 seconds to start Windows 8 screen, selection of Windows 7, 28 seconds before Windows 8 reboots the PC, and from moment it starts booting after restart it takes 37 seconds to get to Windows 7 login screen.

Since Windows 8 is preloaded as a bootloader, it feels that it starts in 4 seconds, but the hidden bootloader stage takes 35. Plus it adds additional shutdown of 28 seconds if you want to pick another OS.

Of course, results might differ on different machines. These ones are on AMD Brazeros 1.65 Ghz DC, with mechanical HDD.

The Windows 7 is closer to track 0, which gives it advantages, but it’s also fully encrypted with bitlocker encryption, which gives it disadvantages.

It’s probably important to note that both systems are almost completely fresh installs, and not some 3 year old Windows 7 with system files fragmented all around the hard-drive.

• sweatshopking

are you booting between OS’s? if you boot win 8, then 7, then back to 8, 8 will take a longer time. it’s not marketing bs. i’ve got 3 systems running win 7, and fresh 8. 2 laptops and a tower, and it’s significantly faster on 8. WAY faster. Boot loader included, it’s miles quicker.

if you DO boot up an alternative, 8 takes longer to boot the next time you start it.

• travbrad

I don’t really understand all the fuss about boot times anyway. Do people really boot/reboot their PCs so often that saving a few seconds is going to make a big difference in their day? Maybe it’s just me but I have the patience to wait 20 seconds for my PC to boot once or twice a day.

Faster booting is better of course, but it just seems like a really minor advantage to have when 99.9% of the time spent on a PC is spent actually using it, not booting.

Crapware is the #1 thing slowing down most people’s boot times anyway, not the OS itself. I have a really old P4 (single-core) based laptop running WinXP with a 5400RPM drive that boots faster than most people’s new $1000+ laptops.

• Anarchist

For all their faults MSFT was still better than apple because they at least allowed eco-system to develop around windows. If MSFT is going the way of apple … well thank god for linux.

Mint FTW!

• Unknown-Error

and BSD

• ew

So I’m in the weather app and want to change the unit to Celsius. Anyone know how?

• Jon

I don’t understand what you mean by abandoning the translucent UI effects. Title-bars *are* translucent.

• maxxcool

is there a way to change the names and colors of the tiles? can they be icons or custom images or skinned ?

I hope so, that page looks like “happy vomit”

• burntham77

Happy vomit! That accurately describes the Care Bears and the Windows 8 Start screen.

• Yeats

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3yqtu5Hgc[/url<]

• xtalentx

I love it so far, been using it for about an hour and so far no problems. I’m not really afraid of change and not frightened/threatened by things that are different – that could be why I am enjoying it so much.

• Madman

Wait a few more hours, those were my feelings at the beginning as well.

• xtalentx

I don’t think that will be the case. I liked the last release and I love Windows Phone… I’m pretty sold on the whole concept.

• HisDivineOrder

You poor lost soul. You bought a Windows 7 Phone and had to justify it. You said to yourself, “I like this. I think. Wait, I know I love this. I… do. I love it. Yeah. I really love it. I must. I bought it and I’ll have it for two long, long years. Long enough to see it be completely forgotten in development when Windows 8 Phone comes next year. I… love this. God help me, if I say it enough, I might just believe it…”

That was then. Now you truly believe you love it. And you, poor soul, have so convinced yourself of this that now you think you’d rather use it on other devices too. You are not to be mocked, you are to be pitied. When you get out of that contract on that Windows Phone, go buy something that has a future…

• esterhasz

Next up: killing a kitten.

• burntham77

The Windows Phone OS is an excellent OS, it just doesn’t belong on a desktop computer.

• burntham77

I can assure you, loving the Windows Phone OS on a touch screen phone does not necessarily mean you will love Windows 8 on your desktop. But hey, whatever works.

• burntham77

Same here. The first few days I was really enjoying it. By the end of the first month, I could not wait to get back to Windows 7. Although it comes down to what you want to do with your PC.

• TheDarkKnight

I don’t think people, such as myself and countless others, who oppose the direction Microsoft has chose to take Windows 8 in, oppose or fear change. I am not afraid of change if its change for the better. But you almost sound as if embracing change for change’s sake alone makes you some kind of superior being.
      Maybe you are a person who enjoys change for change’s sake alone. Maybe you are a person who likes to move to a new house every time your lease is up. Not because there is anything wrong with your current living quarters. But you simply love “change”.

I only fear change when it takes me down a dead end road. Barrack Obama and now Windows 8. Change isn’t always a good thing.

• Chandalen

Aye I’m tired of the group of people that say “people who don’t like change are a subclass (such as console gamers!)” It’s about as worn out and tired as the whole win8 = Me, win7 = XP thing, just more insulting.

• sschaem

Funny… people that mentally puke every time they press the windows key on a windows8 desktop do it because they are frightened and threatened? must be it.

I’m not ‘upgrading to windows8 for the same reason I wont upgrade my aluminium speed bike to a carbon fiber purple unicycle… no, its not because I’m afraid of change but because it makes no sense.

• eliplan312

I’m not afraid of change, I’m afraid when the change is in the wrong direction and forced on everyone.

If I can’t opt to not use it on a system unsuited for it (e.g a desktop, laptop, server, or anything other than a tablet), it’s not a good thing.

Metro isn’t made for tri-screened desktops. It’s made for tablets. Not for servers, either. But guess what? They’re forcing all of those categories to use it!

• Jigar

This is worst than Vista…

• Frith

I’d say this guy is right and this is far worse than Vista.

Vista was slow and unstable. The instability was largely related to Microsoft changing the driver model so all the new drivers were buggy. By the time SP1 came out the drivers and bugs in operating system had been fixed so it was pretty much stable, though it was still slow.

Windows 8 has more fundamental problems, in that it’s working as intended but the design is utterly terrible. While the bugs with Vista were eventually fixed, Windows 8 is never going to be fixed because in Microsoft’s view it works and doesn’t need fixing.

Ask yourself, if you were offered a Vista PC or a Windows 8 PC which would you choose? I suspect most people would take Vista, hence why this really is worse than Vista.

• Madman

Vista had also performance issues, prefetch issues, UAC issues and countless others.

• indeego

I never could get printing working fully right under Vista under client<–>server where I work, so it never got full approval. I suspect that had a lot more to do with Server 2008, versus the fixes they had by 2008 R2, which by then printing was back in shape.

• Frith

If you didn’t like the excessive number of UAC prompts in Vista it could be disabled. If you had problems with prefetch under Vista it could be disabled. I therefore wouldn’t say these were major issues on the scale of Metro since Metro can’t be disabled.

Ultimately, there are two reasons why I say this is worse than Vista
          -New features that you didn’t like in Vista could be disabled, while things like Metro in Windows 8 can’t and you’re forced to use them.
          -The issues with Vista were bugs that were eventually resolved, while the issues with Windows 8 are that the design is fundamentally bad and isn’t going to change.

• burntham77

I like a lot of the “under the hood” changes they made with Vista, and the memory problem went away when I upgraded to 4 gigs of ram.

• Krogoth

Vista’s only had performance issues with network transfers, but that had to do with an interesting bug. Basically it would throttle bandwidth for file transfers when you do any media playback.

Most of the performance complaints were from systems that had insufficient memory Vista needed at least 2GiB of memory to avoid any swapping. I/O and application performance were practically identical to XP.

The longer boot-long is due to having more services being activate by default (you can disable most of them to speed up to boot-up time).

• Madman

There were multiple, the best one of which was superfetching 2GB self extracting setup. The HDD noise woke me up at night.

• Krogoth

Are you sure the HDDs weren’t defragging themselves?

Vista/7 defrag HDDs when the system is idle for a hour or so.

• Meadows

No they don’t. They defrag according to schedule.

• Madman

I woke up, started perfmon, traced which app was using IO and there it was, superfetch & it was reading ginormous exe.

• Kaleid

After boot Vista uses the harddrive for at least 5 minutes, making everything slower.

I didn’t know Microsoft was responsible for the stability/quality of 3rd party drivers.

• Malphas

5150 is now my favourite TR member.

• Meadows

I +1’d you for +1’ing my +1.

• sweatshopking

YOU MEAN HE’S TIED WITH ME? THAT’S FAIR. I LOVE HIM TOO.

• cygnus1

HA. I did +1 you though

*hugs*!

• crabjokeman

Don’t encourage him…

WHY? we’re good friends.

• cygnus1

oooohhh, sorry bro, i hate to break it to you ssk, but i just can’t be friends with canadians.

(blame canada)

• sweatshopking

no it’s cool. i hate canadians too.

Aren’t you Canadian?

• Pax-UX

Someone needs an intervention! I can’t sit back and watch Microsoft slowly kill itself. Its like an obese person asking for extra cheese and a refill on their big gulp.

Microsoft you’ve lost focus, stick to business and your solid development roots. The Web is making the OS irrelevant and doing such a large shift isn’t going to win you new people. This interface has failed you on your phone devices moving it to the desktop is a stroke of madness.

Microsoft you where once the big company we all hated, now we look on you and feel pity. You’ve destroyed yourself. So long and thanks for all the IE bugs.

• Peldor

Did you take intervention lessons from Dr. Kevorkian?

• danny e.

[url<]http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/02/15/like-windows-8s-metro-design-thank-this-mac-user/[/url<]

• danny e.

If I were to squat on my 24″ screens and take a dump, it’d look just like that.

• CuttinHobo

Brightly colored, high-contrast rectangles would tumble out of your posterior?

Whatever you eat, eat less of that!

• smilingcrow

Sounds as if he has consumed 250 micrograms of LSD.

• HisDivineOrder

Perhaps he eats food cubes.

• flip-mode

I want you to do that and take some pictures. I don’t want to see the pictures; I want you to see the pictures so that you realize how poor your visualization is.

• oldog

Whoa! This OS is a Ferrari compared to Win 7.

• eofpi

Finicky, overheats all the time, and requires you to have a whole other car to actually drive daily? Sounds about right.

• oldog

I don’t necessarily disagree that the OS is fussy, but the speed alone on a 4 year old portable Core2Duo is absolutely remarkable.

Seems much much faster than Ubuntu on the same machine. And parenthetically much less fussy than that OS.

• LoneWolf15

That explains why Windows 8’s mileage is so bad -Now I get it.

Tempting. All my basic hardware is supported and I could stick it on a spare drive so I can still boot into Win7 for the stuff that’s not.

• sschaem

After 2 month I found no features in W8 of value, and the metro full screen touch screen app concept just gets in the way on a desktop system. So for sure keep W7 around, you will be glad you did.

• burntham77

“gets in the way”

That is the best way to describe the new interface.

• kamikaziechameleon

The final visual setup for desktop will be rather ugly IMHO. While appreciate a default setup for visual continuity don’t know why they wouldn’t continue with the beautiful appearance of win 7(or atleast make it an option for discerning users.). Flip they still have the craptastic win 98 classic look if you want it.

• chuckula

We don’t care.
    We don’t have to.
    We’re [s<]the phone company[/s<] [u<]Microsoft[/u<].

Ok, I’m downloading, but so far picture of Windows 8 looks like:

1) My work is tweeting and watching da vidzzz on da net!
    2) Oh, cool I can see pretty finance graphs from peepz who make actual muney!
    3) Uhhh, cloud, neat, I can put my drunk piczzz and share dem with da world, FTW!
    4) Shop, dis is where production oriented Angry birds come from!
    5) Internet Exploder, you can’t kill dis bastard can you, IE – foreva!
    6) XBox Live FTW!

I am only worried MS Kinnect will not make it to the server 2012, imagine writing SQL queries without it, that’s sooo 2000 🙁

• geekl33tgamer

Nuts. Just imagine getting the gesture wrong and accidently sending the SQL drop command. Collect P45 on the way out the office, waving at your colleagues new kinect equipped computers in the same way you did earlier on the way out 😉

• gmskking

You spent way too much time on that post.

• sschaem

1) not better then ios for this type of crap
      2) the metro apps so far are junk, specially the want to be finance app
      3) again, a ‘me too’ feature
      4) the app tax, now collected by MS. 30% of the money now doesn’t go to help developers, but directly in MS coffers.
      5) IE, still a year behind Chrome
      6) who cares?

I think the only people exited about windows8 are die hard MS loyal waiting for a windows tablet and masochists.

• Madman

Still, although I sound like a troll, I still really hope Win8 will surprise me in a good way.

I still need a very productive, multitasking friendly OS for development and daily use, and so far the last ones that were meeting my expectations were Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Windows 7.

But they are getting old, and tweet/tablet-OSes are not going to cut it for me.

• Shouefref

It’s a free world. You’re free to hope.

• Sargent Duck

Wrong.

I considered myself a very hard core MS loyal fan (I defended Vista!). I have a Windows 7 phone and will defend that. I love Windows 7 and Windows 7 phone (Metro interface).

I installed Windows 8 Consumer back in February and un-installed it 3 days later, annoyed at Metro on the desktop. All the Windows fans I’ve talked to don’t like 8 either.

Other than Indeego (whose opinion I very much respect), I can’t think of any one else excited about Windows 8

• Rand

I liked Vista, it had it’s flaws and a few annoyances but they weren’t crippling and it had some massive improvements on XP. I ran Vista from the day it was released up until Win7 came.

So you’re not alone in liking Vista. Unfortunately you’re also not alone is hating Win8, I’ve forced myself to use it as much as possible to try to grow accustomed to it and give it a chance but instead I find myself liking it less and less as time goes by.

• Ifalna

I liked vista too and never had any problems with it. But Win7 was a step up esp. in stability. Win8 “Kindergarten” looks like 8 steps back to me. I just can’t get used to the squeaky colors and constantly maximized applications. I hate Full screen windows!

• indeego

Works great. Start key brings up my apps, I click on them, it works.

The negative hype was way overblown. This thing works great so far.

Install took 30 minutes.

• 5150

This man, is a great man. You are the king of IT in my book.

• geekl33tgamer

And you clearly don’t work in IT – Thankfully. My organisation’s not touching this with a 100ft barge pole, and neither is my trusty home ‘puter.

• 5150

I’m actually an IT Manager for a company that employs 200 people. I’m not planning on putting this on work computers right away (if ever), and I’m not sure about home even. However, I think there is a ridiculous amount of whining about the whole thing. So I’m whining about the whining.

• TheDarkKnight

So, while desktop PC users who are whining about Microsoft converting what has traditionally been a desktop OS for the past 20 years and turning it into a smartphone/tablet OS first and foremost, have a very valid reason for whining, you are simply doing so for attention?

Some people just can’t see the forest because of those pesky trees that are in the way. There is a ridiculous amount of whining about the direction Microsoft has decided to go in with Windows 8, isn’t there? Gee. I wonder why.

I guess Windows 7 users just have nothing better to do with their lives. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for whining. We all should be more like 5150 and rise above the act of whining so that we can feel good about ourselves for not causing a ruckus? Whos with me?

• SPOOFE

“Works great. Start key brings up my apps, I click on them, it works.

The negative hype was way overblown. This thing works great so far.

Install took 30 minutes.”

-Supposedly a desktop user whose post you completely missed, somehow.

• indeego

I can’t believe I installed it. I was going to wait until SP1 or so. This is on a live domain connected 3-year old core2 laptop.

There are a few rough spots I’ve seen, (I had like 5 configuration screens I couldn’t get out of) but on x86 this OS is fine so far. It isn’t recognizing my Windows Live account.

The Windows Start screen is WAY the &*^@! better than the start menu. I already love it, and I’m not even a Microsoft service-usin’ mofo beyond skydrive. The maps app is great.

• Forge

You are terrifying me. I hope you’re being sarcastic, because I can’t otherwise explain your response, what with it being exactly opposite of everyone else I know who has tried Win8. Seriously. EVERYONE.

• indeego

I am not being sarcastic. I am really scratching my head as to what people are freaking out about. Perhaps metro’s UI will take over, but my taskbar icons are all there, my secondary tier of programs is easier to get to, everything works *much* better than any Vista or 7 preview/RC. I’m not seeing anything like driver or stability, or obvious show stoppers in my initial use. I’m definitely putting this on my home laptop when I get home.

The splash screen that comes up is far more useful and customizable than any Android screen I’ve seen in terms of gadgets/notifications. Articles/information are in full screen without ads. Weather and items are topical, and hopefully they all remain ad-free like they are now.

Heatmap is great, replaces occasional use of process explorer downloads for me.

Really it revolutionizes the use of the Windows Key on a desktop, makes it a lot more functional.
            Windows key–>App
            Windows Key search (much more room for results)
            Windows Key Metro app (Probably not going to use often but I can see people that would.)

This will likely be a win all around.

Single complaint? My processor fan has been on more than Windows 7. I’ve been using it fairly heavily though…

• sschaem

Windows95 – >click -> ready access / non obstructive to most used app (easy to organize) , recent documents, and many other common location and features. clearly readable with common icons.

Windows 8 is a rainbow throw up , a jungle of a mess, only running full screen.

What windows8 does, windows95 does it quicker and more elegantly. thats why people are upset.

Windows8 is a tablet OS design for full screen touch display… it as NO place on a desktop computer.

And frankly, I dont care if my desktop boot in 9 seconds or 4 seconds. not going to downgrade to windows8 for just this ‘feature’.. and loose DVD support, and all the Media Center functionality.

• entropy13

[quote<]It might not be evident, but MS just pushed the pro community to linux. Wait 5 years to see windows become low end consumer only product crushed by Apple iOS. Only OSX and unix flavors will survive if MS continue to push Barney the dinosaur inspired OS.[/quote<] Looks like the only "saving grace" for Microsoft is the "dying" PC gaming industry (simply because of DirectX; unless OpenGL suddenly explodes in usage).

• Ringofett

[quote<]It might not be evident, but MS just pushed the pro community to linux.[/quote<] I think we've heard variations of that before; I think in 5 years we'll see MS and Apple continue to reign absolutely supreme with consumers, albeit possibly with greater market share for Apple if post-Jobs Apple continues to execute well.

• indeego

[quote<]The issue is that people like to access recent documents and else in a click of a mouse without having their entire desktop flash to a barney the dinosaur theme full screen horror.[/quote<] 7 already fixed this with jumplists. 8 includes them. 8 has searches that can work across the entire OS, like control panel items, not just documents or applications. [quote<]Windows 8 is a rainbow throw up , a jungle of a mess, only running full screen.[/quote<] It's readily apparent you have never used this OS. [quote<]And frankly, I dont care if my desktop boot in 9 seconds or 4 seconds. not going to downgrade to windows8 for just this 'feature'.. and loose[sic] DVD support, and all the Media Center functionality.[/quote<] Come on, be honest with yourself. Faster boots are ALWAYS welcome. I understand your frustrations here. These are things I never used past day one in Windows. Media Player Classic has always filled the holes in Windows Media for me. It has since Microsoft showed they can't compete at all in this area.

• Madman

Well, I have to agree that the start screen is a HUGE FRIGGIN rainbow. Very hard to glance at and use effectively, even on small laptop screen, not to mention 24″+ desktop screens.

Obviously, YOU haven’t used this OS.

• indeego

Using it now. To be honest the start screen will not be used all that often, just like the start menu before it. I use OS to get to my programs and data, and all that is available via taskbar/keystroke much faster than start menu.

The biggest improvement: No windows logo on my taskbar! yay screen real estate not taken up by logos!

• esterhasz

That’s perhaps the main point: I also start programs exclusively by keystroke (both on Mac and PC – by far the fastest way for me), so I don’t mind the start screen. But for people who actually used the start menu, the change is much more pronounced.

• Madman

Even if so, the constant flashing is super annoying, and doesn’t add value. See my post in forum.

• entropy13

[quote<]The splash screen that comes up is far more useful and customizable than any Android screen I've seen in terms of gadgets/notifications. Articles/information are in full screen without ads. Weather and items are topical, and hopefully they all remain ad-free like they are now.[/quote<] So Windows 8 is Ice Cream Sandwich made better, on a larger screen, resolution, and "desktop" instead of "smartphone", without "Messages" (since there's no SMS in Windows 8).

• flip-mode

Hello! Have you not seen me downvoted to china for expressing my fondness for Metro?

• esterhasz

Sure it’s not all roses, but I like it as well.

• sschaem

I’m not sure people are getting your sarcasm…

edit: I see that you are not. Then , whats wrong with you? miss the days you played with duplo blocks? like to work with binoculars?

• ludi

[quote<]but on x86 this OS is fine so far. It isn't recognizing my Windows Live account.[/quote<] Okay, now you finally have me. A Microsoft OS that cuts me out of "Live" features I never wanted, instead of adding them to my System Tray at random intervals, would be worth owning.

• rrr

That must be pretty shitty book then.

• 5150

So you just joined a month ago and you want to talk s*** about a TR member that’s been here forever with no idea of who you’re talking about? I don’t know indeego personally, and have barely communicated with him outside of the front page. However, damn near every post he makes is concise, to the point, and brought forward with well-thought out reasoning behind it.

• rrr

You’re just a troll only good for making fun of. Don’t take it personally, I’m just having some laughs at your expense.

• cygnus1

wtf is up with that guy?

• burntham77

I agree. For the first few days, I was pretty impressed. I like the new style, everything is fast, there are some new details that are nice.

Check back again in a month.

• Madman

Kind my feelings as well. At first I was impressed it was not Vista bad, I enjoyed the color scheme and updates on desktop. I also found how to access old style control panel and other menus.

But after few hours Metro is starting to get on my nerves, badly. And Metro is the single biggest and worst offender. Ribbon in explorer is luckily pretty well hidden. But it’s also really bad when opened.

• Saber Cherry

I don’t trust anyone who refers to programs as “apps”.

• Meadows

This, however.

• Anomymous Gerbil

In an enterprise environment, our users use applications, not programs. It’s just a terminology thing; programs is perhaps a “lower level” term than applications.

• Wirko

The dividing line runs between apps and applications, not between applications and programs. Calculator is the former, Excel is the latter.

• indeego

Why do you use apostrophes? Heresy, really, when you think about it.

• dmjifn

What are you, a clanner?

• sweatshopking

Yeah, he’s with me. we’re the #1 clan around here. we take it seriously. one of our members is on the lam for stuff he’s done around here.

• gamoniac

Wow, I have been on TR for a few years and did not realize the crowd is so single-minded. It’s one thing to have an opinion, it’s another to lambaste everyone else who think differently.

Just for that, Indeego you have my vote, whether I will eventually buy Windows 8 or not. (Most likely not; my Windows 7 is working pretty well so far).

• Madman

Microsoft thought differently, Metro is the result…

• sweatshopking

and tons of us LIKE metro.

• --k

I find Metro to be like iOS on the iPad in some ways. Until apps come to support it, there will be some growing pains as we switch modes between metro and the old ui. I like that fact that MS has finally taken some risk and came out with a new paradigm instead of rehashing the same UI that’s in place for 17 years. Most of the perceived flaws in how things work are because it’s not familiar, ie not working the way we think it “should”.

• gamoniac

Agree. I think Microsoft needed to evolve, a process that has inevitably upset some existing customers. Nonetheless, status quo will only guarantee their eradication. The whole Metro issue has really eclipsed the other areas of improvement such as security, file system, and smaller footprint.

I can see how some folks complain about the lack of bult-in support for DVD playback, but I have replaced my optical drive with a portable one (that came with its own software) a year ago and never looked back. I only use it once every three months, if so.

We shall see. I hope MS is not pricing the new OS too high, but it looks like they are (OEM license cost is reportedly higher).

• TheDarkKnight

Microsoft has been making billions, of dollars for “rehashing” the same UI for 20+ years so I am not sure your statement about risk taking makes much sense.

They could have continued “improving” on what they have already built versus what they have done with Windows 8. The only place I would welcome a revolution is in our currently corrupt and diseased political system. Not on my desktop PC.

I think it would have been smarter to keep refining Windows 7 with small improvements versus going completely berserk and thinking that just because everybody loves smartphones/tablets that we would love the same UI on our desktops.

My sister gave me a smartphone. I hate it. Glad I didn’t pay for it.

• nanoflower

I don’t have a problem with Metro. I have a problem with Microsoft forcing desktop/server users to use Metro. I understand where they are going with Metro but I think they should give desktop/server users the option to skip Metro or have it be an additional application running inside of the normal desktop interface.

• TheDarkKnight

Some people don’t like to have think very much. It hurts their head. So, if big romper room tiles and using your index finger all day as your input device makes you happy that’s all well and good. But the problem with what Microsoft has done is that they are forcing “everybody” into this same category of simpletons. I don’t need Microsoft to do all my thinking for me. I am capable of thinking on my own.

I hear using the brain once in awhile prevents Alzheimers disease. Windows 8 probably isn’t gonna help with this one.

• sweatshopking

“thinking very much” has nothing to do with it. I’m glad you think because you like a start menu you’re “smarter”. you’re out to lunch, but whatever floats your boat. Being a simpleton has nothing to do with it.

Luckily for you, you can purchase or not. rather than qqing online like a big baby cause the new one is too “stupid” for you. If you’re capable of doing your “thinking on your own” then think about switching to linux. Hell, if you’re as smart as you claim, code your own OS.

• Ifalna

No it does not. Maybe you can explain to me how I can put a random .exe on my start screen. I don’t see any way to do that. (I am NOT talking about installed applications that will be there automatically I’m talking about a wild .exe file I want a link to)

I’ll can link them to my desktop and pin them to my task bar but I don’t get it into metro.

BTW: the very act of me having to ask how to link something onto my start screen already shows that this UI just fails. Intuitive, anyone?!

• indeego

Right click–>pin to start.

Wow that was hard stuff folks.

• Ifalna

Thanks. I guess I’m too used to drag and drop.

• gamoniac

I don’t blame you. I kinda like Metro but it really takes some getting used to. I have been playing with the Developer and Consumer Preview a little bit. The Dual monitor support sucked in those versions. I just downloaded the Release Preview, so maybe dual monitor support and metro (corner spot) are now better and will change my mind.

• Ifalna

Look: I found a way to let metro even look decent:

[url<]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2121/metroc.png[/url<] +1 for win 8, but I still don't think that It'll be more effective to use than Win7.

• superjawes

I like it…that’s all built in, correct? I’m a huge fan of dark themes.

As for which will be more effective, I’ll wait to see the final version (and maybe even a service pack after that). I think the potential is there, but execution is key.

• Ifalna

Yup. All build in options. You just have to remove the microsoft apps and add the .exe files directly to get rid of the kindergarten colors.

• ludi

To me, that looks exactly like some of the icon-infested desktops I labored so hard to prevent, and which I tolerate on my phone only because there isn’t really a better way to organize app shortcuts on a screen of typical handheld size.

I fail to see why I would pine to have such a thing on my desktop computer with a 21″ non-touchscreen.

• Ifalna

Some of us still like to use symbols instead of the text box with indexing. Of course I just stuffed it in the screen because I wanted to see how it looks when it’s full. The tiles could be a little smaller, maybe they add customization later on.

• Jakubgt

Win 7 is the next XP

• 5150

I can see your eyes welling, let them flow.

• crabjokeman

Stop posting.

• Meadows

No, you stop it. The man’s right, the butthurt about Windows 8 – however justified – is so old it hurts. Physically.

• geekl33tgamer

Are you ever happy…? #JustSaying

Sure he is. He’s not happy ’til you’re not happy.

• crabjokeman

I really doubt MS will still be supporting Win 7 with security updates in 2022.

• geekl33tgamer

Probably right, but then in 2022 the competitive OS landscape may look a lot different than it does now?

• Grigory

No, but by then a couple of new versions of windows will have arrived and some with a real desktop UI again. That or MS goes under.

• brucethemoose

An astounding amount of stuff still only works on XP and IE8 or older. And an astounding amount of people still use that OS, with no apparent reason or will to change.

XP is the next XP, and will remain that way for a long time.

• entropy13

Win 7 isn’t the next XP since at least with 8 there’s no DirectX12 that would alienate the previous OS versions that doesn’t have it.

• Rand

I’ll be shocked if they release DX12 for Win7 when it’s ready, and wouldn’t be entirely surprised if the full functionality of DX12 is only available in Metro with a subset for the desktop.

• geekl33tgamer

No, just No. *Hugs Windows 7 PC*

• 5150

Ooooh, your tears are so salty!

• Grigory

What you seem to be consuming sure is salty but it’s not his tears.

• 5150

Careful or the family site police are going to show up and start dropping tear-gas.

• geekl33tgamer

Think i’m going to be sick. That’s disgusting… :-/

• 5150

No kidding. Why do you have other bodily fluid in your eyes?

edit: Have you been eating pineapple?

• geekl33tgamer

I broke the forum rule about feeding troll’s, dam. :-/

• OneArmedScissor

Snake oil on the northbridge!

• Grigory

What? Why? Do you have a dirty mind or something?

• sweatshopking

FAMILY POLICE have arrived!!!!! Be good, young sirs!!

• 5150

Why are you telling me? I have done no such vulgar thing (for once).

• geekl33tgamer

SSK’s reply was to Grigory (for once) 😉

• 5150

Oh yeah, I’m an idiot. Feel free to upvote this comment.

• geekl33tgamer

I’m dysfunctional and I am attracted to red things. I can only downvote.

• 5150

Thanks for helping to improve my self worth in a round about way then.

• Pez

FYI, there is now no option to revert to a start-menu interface in this version, you’re stuck with Metro.

Edit: To confirm source

[url<]http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+Release+Preview+Approaches+Compared+to+Windows+ME/article24826.htm[/url<]

• 5150

Good, I want to taste the tears of all the gerbils that comment here.

• Ifalna

I’m happy with Win7. so no tears from me for you. Sorry.