Dishonored gameplay trailer brings knife to gun fight, still wins

Next week, we’ll be covering the Computex trade show in Taipei. There’s another big show that shares the same dates: the E3 gaming expo, which runs from June 5-7 in Los Angeles. Trailers meant for the show are trickling out already, and the one for Dishonored is awesome. GameTrailers has the goods:

Dishonored looks like a cross between Thief and BioShock, combining the sneaking elements of the former with the steampunk sensibilities of the latter. The game also has hints of Assassin’s Creed—specifically, lots of stabbing people in the neck. Bladed weapons seem to factor heavily into the combat, which should be interesting from the game’s first-person perspective.

Cyril harshed my buzz by pointing out that the textures look a little low-res, which is true. The first time I watched the trailer, I was too distracted by the beautiful art style, haunting score, and visceral violence (check out the muffled knife through the skull at 2:06) to notice.

Now that I’ve watched the trailer a few more times, the blood splatters could use a little work, too. But that doesn’t make me any less excited to play the game, which is easily my most anticipated of the year. Dishonored is set to arrive on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 October 9. Let’s hope there’s a high-res texture pack in tow.

• south side sammy

kinda reminded me of “Alma” for a second when the little girl held her hand out……… music/voice seems to “fit” the sickness………. LOL. Not sure I would be a buyer or not.

• Bensam123

Neat looking environment, atmosphere, and premise, but the graphics do not do it justice. The animation is blocky and not fluid at all.

• d34thly

I’m sure the game will be very fun, but the trailer was a random collection of crap+miserable graphics that didn’t really showcase anything about the game besides first-person dagger kills and a annoying girls voice singing a dumb song that she didn’t even know the lyrics to. I can’t believe we live in a time when this kind of crap is acceptable or applauded. Surely whoever was responsible for the direction and editing of this particular video trailer should be promptly fired without severance for complete incompetence.

• brucethemoose

An eerie, slightly fantastical environment/backstory and unique powers like bioshock, with the open world and assassin style play of Assassin’s Creed, the stealth of Thief and elements of morality and gameplay from Deus Ex? And staff from Thief, HL2, Bioshock 2 and the Deus Ex series are all working on it?

This is easily the most promising title this year. With that atmosphere, who cares about the graphics?

• d34thly

I care! I’m not saying that the graphics are more important than game mechanics, I am saying that in this day and age why can’t we have both, why can’t we have it all. I have a 4 year old PC sitting in my toddlers room that no game can even begin to harness the power of yet (metro 2033 and BF3 are the only games that play slightly below 60fps on my toddlers rig). I don’t think they have to have bleeding edge graphics that would slow down all of your nub boxes out there, but they should at least have graphics that are comparable to any game in the same decade which isn’t the case here.

• puppetworx

This game looks the balls (minus the graphics).

• BobbinThreadbare

This game looks cool, and I’m excited about it, but that was not a good trailer. The little girl singing creepily is a horribly overused cliche.

• SPOOFE

What, you prefer little boys instead?

• cynan

When it comes to signing, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Boys’_Choir<]little boys[/url<] are hard to beat. I also liked Christian Bale's voice in[url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092965/<]Spielberg's Empire of the Sun[/url<], but not sure if that was his real voice...

• FubbHead

Hmm.. Assassins Creed + Steampunk, yeah, now that would’ve been awesome. No fan of first person sneaking games, prefer third person.

• l33t-g4m3r

So you didn’t like Thief or Riddick? Never say never, you’ll miss out.

• timaeus

Can’t view the video just yet (at work, videos blocked), but from previous trailers, the game looks awesome. I did have to comment on part of the article though:
    “Dishonored looks like a cross between Thief and BioShock, combining the sneaking elements of the former with the steampunk sensibilities of the latter.”
    Thief *was* steampunk. Victorian-ish setting, with advanced steam-powered and clockwork mechanism technology. BioShock? *Not* steampunk. Retro-futuristic, sure, but there was nothing Victorian about the game, or anything based on Victorian steam/clockwork mechanism technology.
    Sorry, just a pet-peeve of mine.

• d34thly

Wow you managed to niggle all about the era of the intended art direction all without a single side note about how the graphics technology in this game are most likely from the Victorian era (for all of you too daft, I’m saying the graphics look very, very dated).

• timaeus

I’m among the group who care more about gameplay, story, and atmosphere, than I do about graphics. I would rather developers spend more time and energy on great gameplay and compelling stories than on trying to get games to be photo-realistic. To each his own, I suppose.

• PrincipalSkinner

Jaggy and dated graphics. I hope the gameplay makes up for it.

• sweatshopking

yeah, i was like “wtf, that’s why they showed the other trailer first”. that looks like a 2009 game… early ue3 engine stuff… even if it’s fun, that’ll still kill my buzz.

• Meadows

I saw a jagged edge, surely this game is bad.

• l33t-g4m3r

Probably the console version, they could be adding tessellation and additional graphics for the PC, like Deus Ex. If not, the game will be cheaper on launch, perhaps even a good pre-order sale. Cheaper price and gameplay would definitely make up for it. Indies do pretty well with that model.

• sweatshopking

why would they show the ugly one first? this isn’t an indie game, it’s bethesda.

• l33t-g4m3r

Because there’s more console players and they don’t want complaints like how the first PS3 game trailers were all pre-rendered. You must not be paying attention to how trailers are done, because most game trailers that are cross platform show the console graphics. Later trailers might show pc graphics, and they usually mention that as a “feature”, but consoles are first.

The complaining is ridiculous. This is a console port, so what do you expect? Really, there’s been a million of them, I’d think you’d get the hang of how things are done by now. When you see footage of the PC version, then you can complain. Complaining about console footage is asinine.

• sweatshopking

the issue is that it looks significantly worse than a great number of console ports. compare this to crysis? or skyrim? or any UE3 game from the last 3 years? THAT’S the issue. I’ll still play it, i’m just disappointed in how out of date it looks. given how pretty the prerendered trailer was, i was hoping for something pretty in game. this looks like an indie game, not a bethesda AAA title graphically.

• l33t-g4m3r

Meh, I think you’re overreacting. Perhaps there’s a trade off to save memory. Consoles only have 512mb to work with don’tcha know. The PC version [i<]should[/i<] have better graphics.

• sweatshopking

idk if i’m over reacting, i don’t really care. There is no doubt this in game footage looks dated. i’ll still check it out, but it doesn’t look great. In fact, it reminds me a lot of oblivion in terms of texture, animation, and character movement.

• l33t-g4m3r

Uh, I though Oblivion was pretty groundbreaking when it came out, and mods really put it over the top. Now a game like darkness 2 had pretty bad graphics for a console game, and the pc version was direct port, no upgrade. Don’t really care anymore as long as it’s reasonably priced and fun though. I’ve had enough of crysis level games after crysis came out. I just want something fun, not a forced upgrade tech demo that requires an unreleased future generation of hardware to play. Been playing a lot of indie/gog games lately.

• d34thly

You’re not overreacting, this trailer wasn’t even good enough to mandate a meh.
            The FIRST trailer showcased some of the underlying plot, game mechanics and graphics (albeit not great graphics) that perked my interest into a possible pre-order based on fun game play. THIS trailer made me want to forget about the game entirely until I read a couple dozen post release reviews.

• d34thly

Yeah, because commenting about how a game looks based on the trailer is lame and everyone knows that 🙂 In fact stating any kind of opinion about a game in a forum thread about said game is just asinine:) Don’t get me started about people who complain about error codes, game crashing, no-remapping/ sloppy controls, crappy story-lines, boring gameplay, dumb AI, no difficulty (for the masses), incorrect physics in a game that is marketed solely on physics (sniper elite) etc.. 🙂 by the way l33t-g4m3rs favorite game of the past decade is Duke Nukem Forever.

• rrr

The other way round isn’t working, so it just might. Worse if this game would suck when it comes to gameplay too.

• Arclight

The atmosphere is surely unique (idk why but it reminds me of HL2). But graphics don’t look stellar to me. Regardless, if it turns out to be entertaining, screw the yesteryear looking gfx.

• Grigory

“idk why but it reminds me of HL2”

Because of the Strider like giant walking things most likely. 😉

• GrimDanfango

I suspect it’s more likely because Viktor Antonov, the art director for HL2, is visual designer director on Dishonored. The strider guards are probably the most glaring similarity, but the whole thing has an air of the same design style. Beautiful bold unfussy character and environment design, really distinctive forms and silhouettes.

• brucethemoose

“idk why but it reminds me of HL2”

Does a single man with a trademark melee weapon and a few gadgets dead set on revenge in a oppressive, fantastical but familiar world that seems to be falling apart sound familiar?

Hmmm, doesn’t ring a bell, but those graphics sure look alot like a source game. Oh wait…