It’s official: Microsoft offers Windows 8 upgrade discounts

The rumors were true: as of last Saturday, buying a Windows 7 PC may entitle you to a cheap upgrade to Windows 8. Microsoft announced this Windows Upgrade Offer promotion last week, but the details were buried in the Windows 8 Release Preview debut announcement. Here’s the relevant snippet:

Beginning June 2, 2012, Microsoft will roll out the Windows Upgrade Offer in 131 markets, including the U.S. and Canada. Consumers who buy eligible Windows 7-based PCs through Jan. 31, 2013, can purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for an estimated retail price of $14.99 (U.S.) during the time of the promotion. More information about the Windows Upgrade Offer will be available June 1. In addition to the Windows Upgrade Offer designed for consumers buying new Windows 7-based PCs, Microsoft will also announce other offers in the coming months that will help consumers with existing Windows 7-based PCs upgrade to Windows 8 when it is generally available.

Microsoft doesn’t get into specifics about those "other offers" for Windows 7 systems bought before June 2. For what it’s worth, though, Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade licenses went on sale for $49.99 a pop (half the normal price) a few months before Windows 7’s commercial release in 2009. If we’re lucky, Windows 8 upgrades might be slapped with a similar discount later this year.

Windows 8 is due out at some point before the holidays. Microsoft has yet to settle on an exact release date.

• rrr

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Especially not, if you have to pay for an alleged “fix”.

Can you turn off the app-stores that infest W8? I’ve not found a way yet.

This is probably why they want Windows8 in everyone’s home; It’s a goddamned [b<]ADVERTISING ENGINE[/b<] masquerading as an OS upgrade.

• Geistbar

You can remove them from the main metro screen. Right click and select “unpin”; you won’t see it anymore outside of search results. There’s an option to uninstall, but I didn’t try that to know if it works.

• Tristan

No need to jump on W8. Desktop worse, Metro useless and distracting.

• Kaleid

Pfft They would have to pay me to change to Win8.

• HisDivineOrder

“If we’re lucky, Windows 8 upgrades might be slapped with a similar discount later this year.”

Haha! If we’re lucky, Windows 8 will be slapped alright. Slapped right upside the Metro!

• Geistbar

General Win8 comments:
    I tried out the release preview on a VM the other day, and I was surprised at how galling I found the lack of a start menu to be. I tried to approach it with an open mind, though I’ll admit I was assuming I wouldn’t like it from the beginning. It was especially disappointing because the rest of the interface felt just that extra bit cleaner. I think a lot of the annoyance would go away if they at least added a “metro button” (maybe there’s an option for that that I missed?) instead of forcing you to either sneak the mouse into the corner and wait for the metro tab thing to appear, or press the windows key.

Just the empty corner there is so irritating, especially after having spent however many years training my hands for “Want start, move mouse here and click”.

On topic:
    This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone. They’ve done this rather consistently, and it seems to be what they feel helps them the most market-wise. The release feels surprisingly close though.

• PixelArmy

[quote<]Just the empty corner there is so irritating, especially after having spent however many years training my hands for "Want start, move mouse here and click".[/quote<] My start button click training/twitch response = fling mouse as fast as possible to bottom left corner, click. I can't be bothered decelerating to hit the actual button! I can't remember last time I actually clicked that. (Between that and just hitting the windows key). Conveniently, this matches Win 8 exactly. Though mentally, I know what you mean as I still want to think I'm clicking something. With the exception of XP/Vista -> Win 7 (since that was 10+ years) , I normally just switch to the latest OS when I build a new computer. If it's cheap enough, might buy a copy or two of Win 8 upgrade though I might not install it right away. I'm fine with Win 8, but nothing is actually pushing me to it. Give me the pre-built $15 price for all my other systems!

• Geistbar

I know there’s still access to the metro-start from that same corner. However, the “clickable” area is far tinier in Win8 than it is for the start button in previous versions. You have to get almost exactly in the bottom left corner for it to appear at all, whereas with the Win7 (and earlier) start buttons you have much more room to click with and still get results. Maybe it’s something I’ll get used to eventually — I really did find that most of the other changes were quite nice — but for now, I found it amazingly frustrating to deal with.

Even just a “Metro button” would alleviate most of my annoyance there, but I expect it’s something I’ll just need to adapt to whenever I do switch over.

• flip-mode

Another Win 8 story, another round of nerd rage.

• Meadows

Another round of “I’m happy with W8” postings by Mr. Flip “Windows 8” Mode.

• sweatshopking

hey! don’t forget about me!

• LoneWolf15

Will you recognize me? Call my name or walk on by?

• Krogoth

I suppose it is an “upgrade” if you want to make your start menu into a start window and have seamlessly integration into Windows Marketplace.

Outside of that, there’s no reason to upgrade if you are already on Vista/7.

• HisDivineOrder

Lest we forget that Windows 8 is in fact bringing us back to the ancient legacy of Windows. Of a time before the Golden Era, when you had a primitive OS virtually incapable of enabling true and simultaneous multitasking that ran first and then you would load a desktop called Windows to have access to multitasking, etc.

Did anyone think Microsoft would truly go back to its roots and eradicate all of the progress they made to go back to that model? I sure didn’t. Microsoft, you never cease to amaze.

• DarkUltra

Well, there are Storage Spaces, customizable file explorer toolbar (you can minimize the ribbon), file transfer dialogue unification, automatic switch from wireless to a wired connection during file transfer, more multimonitor options like task bar on both scteens and wallpeper options.

I look mostly forward to a smoother ui experience
      [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0570UfFtaEU[/url<] But I absolutely hate the start screen. With the Windows 7 Start Menu I can search for everything simultaneously. With Metro, I have to press tab, down and enter to search for settings or files. Win+F is slower than a flick of the mouse.

• Krogoth

You can multitask in Window 8.

You just have to go outside the “Start” screen onto the classical desktop. You just have to create a few shortcuts on the desktop (My Computer etc). You have effectively recreated the default 7/Vista desktop.

The Start Menu didn’t go away, it just went full screen.

Window 8 is not a new OS. It just a tweaked version of 7/Vista geared towards the portable crowd.

• jdaven

Why oh why didn’t MS keep the OS designed for mobile computing separate from the OS on our desktops and laptops ala Mac OS X and iOS.

• DarkUltra

Just to clarify, I think a tablet with access to the file system and x86 apps will be marginalising Android and Apple tablets. But Microsoft is pushing Metro on Desktops and geeks, so I don’t know how it will turn out.

• mcnabney

And that ‘upgrade’ entitles them to remove a piece of useful software (WMC) and delete codecs that allow your computer to play MPEG content. Sign me up!

/Win7 is the end of 25 years of MS operating systems for me

• Deanjo

That has happened with pretty much every version of windows released. You used to be able to install SUA on XP Pro but that is gone as well now with MS declaring it deprecated. Heaven forbid you should want to use something like a NFS share on a windows machine….

• Duck

Dude… LAVFilters. Paying for an MPEG2 decoder = noob fail.

• Deanjo

LAVFilters don’t handle the DeCSS IIRC.

• Duck

VLC can play DVDs I think. I’m sure there are other ways too.

• Deanjo

Yes VLC can play most DVD’s through decss (notice I said most, there are some that decss has trouble with and the newer copyprotections). Even with that said, decss is not a licensed decryption library and the legality of it is questionable (this is why linux distros do not distribute with it). With Win 7 you had legal DVD decryption and playback as they were licensed.

Sure there are 10 million ways to view content but Windows 7 provided a legal way of doing so and did not require additional software to be installed. It was part of the base functionality and is now no longer there without incurring additional cost.

• chuckula

So by Windows 8 “upgrade discount” they mean that they’ll make it cheap to get a copy of Windows 7 once you get stuck having to buy a system with Windows 8 pre-installed right?

• Jingles

Microsoft offers Windows 8 upgrade discounts: Windows 8 still a ripoff.

Calling Windows 8 an “upgrade” is a bit rich, it’s stretching the meaning of “upgrade” just a little bit. An “upgrade” implies that it’s better than what came before it.

I doubt there would be many people who would “upgrade” even if Microsoft paid them, I sure as hell wouldn’t.

• HisDivineOrder

This is going to be a lot like when people were buying Windows Vista licenses, being counted as Vista users, and then exploiting that loophole that a new Windows license can use an older version of Windows. So many Windows 8 users will wind up using Windows 7 and Microsoft will get slapped around in the Metro.

By the time Windows 9 is coming, they’ll be naming it anything but something that follows in the line of Windows 8. Perhaps Windows ME 2: Vista 2: Revenge of Bob. I suspect by the time they get there, that name’ll be preferable to Windows 9.

• Silus

After trying Windows 8 RP myself, I have no interest in upgrading my Windows 7 copy!

• Sargent Duck

Took advantage of the Windows 7 Home Premium offer back then. Won’t be doing the same this time around.

The 50% upgrade also applied to professional (and I think Ultimate) as well.

• sweatshopking

osx price comparison posts incoming!

• [SDG]Mantis

And why not? Certainly Apple controlling and making profit from the hardware does give them a pricing edge in the OS…but $30 for all of your personal Snow Leopard machines to upgrade to Lion is compelling when compared to $100 a pop…particularly if you have multiple systems.

It is not a fair direct comparison because of the hardware aspect. But, if the rumors are true, MS will have a revenue stream from Office for iOS and Android. Given the more and more capable tablet systems, it would be foolish of Microsoft to cut itself out of those markets. At the same time, I wonder how long it will be until someone takes the Android SDK and makes a convenient wrapper for Office on Linux if there is an Android version and no native Linux application. And we all know that Microsoft would hate that one.