Counter-Strike: Global Offensive due August 21

With all the hot new triple-A titles being displayed at E3, it’s easy to forget about Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Valve gave all of us a friendly reminder today, though. As Shacknews reports, the studio has announced a release date and pricing for the upcoming tactical multiplayer shooter.

August 21 is the day you’ll be able to grab Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Shacknews says. The game will be available on Steam (for Windows and OS X), Xbox Live, and the PlayStation Network. Valve will charge the same price on all platforms: "approximately $15." That sounds quite cheap, considering Counter-Strike: Source still sells for $19.99 on Steam and is nearing its eighth birthday. Then again, we are talking about a multiplayer-only game based on old content.

Global Offensive is a spruced-up version of the popular tactical shooter featuring new graphics, updated versions of old maps, some all-new maps, and new game modes. Valve will imbue the title with its latest multiplayer mojo, so you’ll be able to enjoy features like matchmaking and leaderboards. Cross-platform gameplay is planned, too, but only for Mac and PC gamers.

• The Dark One

Because of the way the CD-keys for the original Half-Life had been generated, Valve couldn’t tell if a key was from HL1, Opposing Force or Blue Shift, so when they allowed people to activate their keys on Steam, they just gave you all of them. The official mods like TFC and CS also were included, of course.

When Steam was launched as a storefront, Half-Life 2 came in different tiers. Bronze gave you HL2 and CS:S, Silver cost ten bucks more but also included Half-Life: Source and DoD:S. Gold gave you some physical stuff you might find in a traditional ‘collector’s edition’ package. This time, the multiplayer games weren’t ‘mods’. It was a package deal, like the Orange Box we’d get later on.

• anotherengineer

I have spec’d a couple scrims and talked to a few pros and they all say it sucks compared to css, however they also say that it can be improved.

One complaint that seems to be fairly common from the people who play the game is the lack of color, everything looks washed out. Even from the screen shot, the plywood the player is standing on looks close to the tin wall.

It’s as if someone has the color dial half way to BW and the contrast dial down also.

Time will tell to see how it all turns out.

• ludi

[quote<]It's as if someone has the color dial half way to BW and the contrast dial down also.[/quote<] I was going to say it looks like someone took original Quake and then de-saturated until the green shifted to gray, but then I realized that makes me look old.

• Game_boy

I hope this becomes a good Esport for tournament play. CS and Quake started Esports in the West, and now SC2 and LoL have the big money and sponsors.

• Bensam123

CS:S only costs $20 if you don’t have Half-Life. I believe it’s still a free mod to download if you have HL2. I know I never paid for CS:S, but own HL2.

I’ll withhold judgment, but the first implications of consolization aren’t pleasing. As CS in general is extremely PC oriented, that would instantly ruin it for CS fans.

same here, bought the HL2 collector’s edition at launch (still have the tshirt) and got CS:S access along with it. However, I have no desire to play it, and I never have.

• brute

i don’t think it’s a mod. You’re thinking of HL2:deathmatch

also, this is just nitpicking, but you don’t OWN anything. You have purchased a license, which can be revoked/made invalid/whatevered. this is the present and future of gaming

• BobbinThreadbare

It’s also the past, read a EULA sometime.

• brute

reading is for nerds

• Bensam123

There are a lot of mods for the Source engine, CS was just one of them… much like CS for original Half-Life. Moddb has a lot of them, although that site has become relatively useless as they removed most of the ways to actually sort the content so they can have stupid mod awards where they just parse their data.

Yeah, that is nitpicking.

• eofpi

There have been various bundles that have included CS:S essentially for free, but Steam tells me it’s $20 right now, regardless of what other Valve games I own. The original CS was a mod that was free if you owned half-life; CS:S is an actual standalone revenue-making game.

• Bensam123

Do you own Half-Life 2?

• Washer

I believe CS:S stopped being bundled with HL2 a few years back. For instance, you didn’t get CS:S if you bought the Orange Box.

• Bensam123

That’s how I got HL2 and TF2… :l

I never bought CSS, I bought the orange box though.

• BobbinThreadbare

Not since CS 1.6

• mikehodges2

I know a guy who knows a guy who was flown out to the states (from the UK) to test and suggest feedback (HenryG). Supposedly, it’s different, but still pretty good. I’m gonna get it regardless, given the horrendous amount of life the last two have sucked out of me, I’m sure I’ll grow to love it. 1.6 purists still don’t like source, but source is pretty good if you haven’t already decided you hate it.

• brute

I’m not sure whether granite Counter-Strikes or tile Counter-Strikes are better.

Does the strike matter more than the counter? How high does it count? Do 3 Counter Strikes equal an out? How hard is one to Strike the Counter?

I also hope that this game has a flying cat helicopter vehicle.

• Duck

I have beta access. The game is awful. It now has a consolized feel. I hate the graphics (looks nowhere near as good as the screenshots would suggest). It horrible to play. How could they mess it up so bad?

Valve will not imbue the title with its latest multiplayer mojo. Valve are not doing anything. HPE are making the game. A lousy job they are doing too.

• Washer

I have little doubt CS:GO isn’t good. The fact that it has received so little press and community talk tells me that. However, I have no idea what “consolized feel” means at all. It’s a worthless description and one that screams to me you probably gave it 30 minutes and decided you wouldn’t like it. The “hate” you have for the graphics doesn’t tell me anything either.

How did they mess it up so bad? Details please? An actual description of what is wrong maybe? How about some ideas? Was there anything they’ve done right? Does it play better than CS:S did in beta or at launch? CS:S certainly had a lot of issues that took quite some time to be addressed.

• Duck

It’s painful to talk about so I tried to keep it brief.

Consolized is a feeling that’s not right. For one there is some sort of input lag that’s noticable at 60FPS, even with the mouse input in the main menu (with v-sync on, hence the 60fps). This lag disappears at the FPS climbs to ~200FPS. Going into the options gives you this consolized feeling too. No normal mouse driven menus, weird settings to do with TVs such as aspect and input levels (which are incorrectly labled).

The only thing I like is the quality of the map construction. Like de_dust2. Clearly it’s dust2 but I would never have imagined it could look so different. They haven’t remade all the maps like this to a high standard. They also changed the layout (for console noobs) of some classic maps like Italy, to the detriment of the gameplay.

The game feels bland and flat. Quite a feat considering HDR is being used. They even removed dark spots from the vents in de_nuke. No light source, just not dark anymore. The sound is also crappy and less clear with crappy quality samples (I checked out the .wavs on their own, not in game). Digging around I also found graphics relating to the PS3 controller and such. Supporting consoles causes disk space on PCs to be wasted. Makes me mad.

Gameplay is very uncomfortable. CS:S is clear and crisp and in control like any Valve game from HL1 to Portal2. In CS:GO I just don’t feel in control as much. Can’t spot enemy players easily. It’s just horrible. Like not one of the developers has a personal Steam account with CS:S on it.

• Washer

[quote<]Maybe I will try it again just before August 21st. But so much would have to have changed for me to like it though.[/quote<] Something tells me if it was PC only you'd be in love. Besides input lag you seem to be upset mainly because you think the changes are the result of it being released on consoles as well as PC. You know what didn't feel right? CS:S for years. The game would stutter and had poor movement for ages, I still remember the annoyances of running in to another player or trying to interact with barrels. Source's player movement and environment interaction in general wasn't crisp until the Portal update. I sometimes think because Source has been around so long people consider the engine to have been so solid since release. It simply wasn't the case. CS:S also had significant hit detection issues that I'm not sure were ever resolved. It was hardly clear and crisp. As a 100% PC gamer I couldn't be more tired of "consolization" has an insult. It's lazy and ignorant.

• travbrad

CS:S felt really crisp to me right from the start, and I was a long time player of the original CS. I’m not misremembering it either, since I’ve barely even played CS:S in the last few years (since Portal came out). I never spent a lot of time hopping over barrels though I’ll admit. I’m not sure what tactical advantage that would give you. Hit detection was just fine too, I had no problem headshotting people from long range with my AK.

I haven’t tried CS:GO though, so I can’t comment on that.

• Bensam123

CS: Consolization

• TurtlePerson2

So this is the Condition Zero of CSS?

• brute

Counter Strike: Source: Global Offensive: Condtion Zero: Source: 2: The Movie: The Game

• diesavagenation