Antec prepping new versions of P280 chassis

Computex — You’re probably familiar with Antec’s P280 chassis. We gave the case a TR Recommended award when we reviewed it earlier this year. While visiting Antec at the Computex trade show in Taipei, Taiwan, we got a sneak peek at a couple of new versions of the case due out this fall. Although both cases were mockups, they gave us an idea of what to expect.

The tower pictured above is a higher-end version of the P280 with a peaked roof that provides easy access to top-mounted radiators. A large window has been added to the left side panel to give users a view of the internals, which appeared similar to the original’s. Antec has tweaked the door that hides the front drive bays; instead of just swinging to the left, the door can be configured to open in either direction.

If you’re looking for something a little smaller, a Micro ATX version of the P280 is also on the way. Unfortunately, this one lacks the dual-hinge door. The PSU is still mounted at the bottom, and in an interesting twist, so are the dual 5.25" external drive bays. Hard drives reside up top, and there’s a removable 3.5" drive cage in the middle. The internals are still being tweaked, and some of the internal scaffolding is due to be removed to accommodate longer graphics cards.

The Micro ATX version is slated to cost around $100, while the taller tower will be "a little more expensive" than the current P280. That case can be nabbed for $120 right now.

Although Newegg carries only the black version of the P280, Antec has a number of colors available for anyone willing to order a shipping container’s worth. The white version’s high-gloss paint is particularly sexy, if you’re into that sort of thing. It certainly has a nicer finish than a lot of the other white cases we’ve seen at the show.

• rrr

Nice case, but too expensive to be relevant.

• Saribro

Anyone happen to run into a look of the inside of that mini-P280? I have a build coming sometime this year and the case is one of the less-straightforward decisions, so I’m curious.

• Arclight

Looks like a downgrade to me….compared to previous generations.

• Anarchist

another “new” same old case …

• cegras

Why did they remove the PSU / mobo division? Wasn’t that the defining feature of the P series?

• Airmantharp

Unnecessary when PSUs are flipped over to intake from the bottom of the case.

• cegras

One of the ‘big’ pluses was that the hard drives were isolated from the rest of the case. If they equilibrate at around 37 C, it would be reasonable to argue that you don’t want you ambient intake warmed up as it passes over the HDDs…

• Bensam123

I like the window, but the beveled top totally means you can’t set anything on it.

• DrkSide

My thoughts exactly.

• kuzzia

Looking forward to the m-ATX version which could be a replacement for the ageing Antec P180 Mini. I hope it remains cheap (<100 USD) and that the top fan doesn’t have to be a 200 mm fan since I usually replace the stock fans.

Also hope for (much) room behind the mainboard tray for cable routing. Mandatory for any contemporary case, really.

• The Dark One

It also makes sense to stick the bays down there if you’re putting the PSU at the bottom as well.

• bcronce

I’m looking for a nice case to make a PFSense box with. Small, easy to clean, can sport two HDs and two PCIe 4x slots.

Why are cases to hard to find?!

• MadManOriginal

A case like that is dead easy to find unless you have more specific requirements, ‘small’ is kind of vague, or are looking for a certain price.

• Bensam123

Why do you need those things for pfsense? A micro-atx atom motherboard would pretty much have everything on it, boot from USB, get a case without drive bays.

• MadManOriginal

The mini P180 has bottom-mounted 5.25″ external drive bays as well, so it’s nothing new but I would like to know the reasoning behind it. Bottom mounted bays like that don’t make sense in terms of ease of access for a case on the desktop or on the floor. (forgetting about ‘death of the optical drive’)

• burntham77

I would imagine it is easier to access the optical drive if the case is on a desktop. Were the drives at the very top, it might be too high for some people to see the tray, which might make seating the disc slightly troublesome.

• eofpi

Pre-y2k, I had on my desk an NEC minitower with the 5.25″ bays on the bottom, with the optical mounted in the topmost of 3. It was rather more convenient in the days of CD-ROM games than a top-mounted bay would’ve been.

• setzer

I have the mini P180 which has one 5.25″ bay on top (where my ODD resides) and two 5.25″ bays on the bottom, I use the bottom ones, one with a 5.25″ to 3.5″ tray-less hot-swap disk thingie and the other to hold a 5.25″ to 3.5″ adapter (provided) to another 2.5″ adapter so that I can have my SSD there.

As I don’t actually change disks on the tray-less thingie it’s a good place for the bays. And if you are so inclined you can use the bays to store 4 SSDs.

In case any one is wondering, I’m only using the top drive caddy to hold 4 3.5″ disks because I had to take out the bottom drive caddy because someone thought that rear power connectors on large graphics cards make a lot of sense (hint, not)..

• brute

wtf is that link

• indeego

Affiliate spam.

• tay

I don’t see that as a bad thing as long as it worked correctly of course.

TR’s links to Newegg are done through some sort of sponsored link and they’re always perpetually broken.

The link is supposed to be this:

[url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129179[/url<] edit: ok seriously, fuck the control key on this laptop. I'm rarely actually copying when I try to.

• grantmeaname

Yah, seriously, it would be way cool if we got some sort of functioning link out of all of this.

• Dissonance

Fixed. Blame the dead battery in my Bluetooth mouse, my crappy notebook touchpad, and the exhaustion incurred from running around Computex and then writing until nearly 2 AM.

• Srsly_Bro

This looks nice. I had a P182, and cases similarly modeled after it were mostly hideous. I’d buy this if I already didn’t have a Lian Li full tower.