Rosewill illuminates mechanical keyboard lineup

Computex — Mechanical keyboards are all the rage these days, and Rosewill’s RK-9000 series seems to be pretty popular. While at the Computex trade show in Taipei, Taiwan, we saw several new versions on display. The most intriguing is the RK-9100, which adds a couple of USB ports and LED backlighting to the mix. Although all the keys are backlit, users can choose to have only the WASD and directional triangles illuminated. The backlight brightness is adjustable, and the lighting can be turned off completely.

We saw prototypes with white, red, and blue backlights. Only the blue lighting is destined for production, and then only with Cherry MX brown or blue switches. Those are the most popular, Rosewill says. The RK-9100 line may be expanded to include red and black switches—and other backlight colors—after the initial versions arrive in August or September.

The official list price for the RK-9100 is $140, but Rosewill tells us the keyboards will likely end up selling for less. Members of the RK-9000 series are regularly discounted on Newegg, and it seems RK-9100 models are destined for the same fate.

Folks with no need for backlighting might be interested in the RK-9000i, a special edition of the RK-9000 colored to match the wave of white cases and accessories that has flooded the market. Apart from the arctic treatment, the only other difference is the range of available switches. The RK-9000i will be sold exclusively with blue and brown Cherry MX switches. Expect the white variants to carry similar price tags to existing RK-9000 models.

• Duck

Retards, yes?

• MadManOriginal

I don’t think you got what I meant by ‘special’ people.

• Arclight

Am i the only one hating LEDs and lights on my desktop? I hate even the small power on LED of the monitor. Thank goodness i can shut it down at home using software.

• JustAnEngineer

I picked up a Rosewill RK-9000 BR (with Cherry MX Brown switches) in April for a reasonable $88, delivered.
    [url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=81421[/url<]

• Airmantharp

Same here- if my Blackwidow Ultimate (MX Blues) ever dies, well, I’ll probably just get Razor to fix it anyway.

But if I had to recommend a new keyboard to someone, that would be it. Simple, effective, inexpensive considering what you’re getting compared to the competition.

• Deanjo

Early Logitech G15’s wore through.

[url<]http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9874/~/wear-on-my-g15-key-caps[/url<]

• Thatguy

Stop stealing other hands to facepalm!

Edit: Some trickery sent my reply to the wrong post. Lame.

You’ve given me the idea for a world-record-breaking attempt of the largest “mexican facepalm wave”

All we have to do now is find an event so catastrophically dumb that we can guarantee a facepalm. I think the USPTO would be a good place to start….

Yep. we worked out that the enter key was all the way over on the numpad, and that the return key above (right shift) was much better.

These arguments don’t happen in the UK though, because there is only one accepted keyboard layout: English (UK). If the keys are in silly places, it must be a dirty foreign layout 😉

• brute

It’s Rosewill. It’ll find a new, innovative way to fail early.

• DeadOfKnight

These are pretty much exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ll take one with browns please!

• BobbinThreadbare

[quote<]More like perl was set up on a US keyboard I'm guessing.[/quote<] That doesn't make the UK layout better, it's just the reason why it's bad. Since I'm not going to write my own scripting language, the reasons don't matter to me. [quote<]You are just over reacting because it's a bit different.[/quote<] I used a keyboard with a big enter key for a decade, I've used one with small enter key for just a little over a decade now.

• Metonymy

I have a couple of Das Keyboards, but I’d like the illumination, but…

I just can’t bring myself to pay this kind of money (however good the keyboard) with that godawful Rosewill logo on it.

• Duck

We are talking keyboard layouts btw.

If it works better for special people then it must be easier to use, confirming the point I was trying to make about how this layout is a better one.

Also, because of it’s much more distinctive shape, it’s easier to find the keys around it and find your way by touch.

Saying the US keyboard layout is better because at least all the keys are the same height is a pretty weak argument. Not just because there are different height keys on the numberpad. Isn’t there anything else you like about it?

• Duck

More like perl was set up on a US keyboard I’m guessing.

Quotes is shift-2. tilda is shift-#. It’s very easy to hit. Index finger on the shift, middle finger on the #. @ is easy to hit too before you say anything.

You are just over reacting because it’s a bit different.

• HisDivineOrder

Seems to me that mechanical keyboards are all about the switches. When you decide other factors are more important, the first thing to go is usually the awesome switches that make mechanical keyboards mechanical.

Curious that we have a whole segment of the population that are perfectly content to tap poorly on a piece of smooth glass and pretend it’s a keyboard… then you have a much smaller segment who want their keyboard to be not only an actual keyboard but to have a “satisfying” click and the spring back of keyboards of yesteryear.

Then you have the peeps in the middle who just shrug and wave their hands around at Kinect while screaming, “Siri, where is the nearest ER?”

• HisDivineOrder

When is Belkin going to come out with the wireless wire?

• HisDivineOrder

Pics or it didn’t happen.

• ChronoReverse

Better switches is the reason why I have a Rosewill and not a Corsair =X

• MadManOriginal

While we laugh back at people who need to compensate via their enter key.

• MadManOriginal

But the enter key is, and that’s what we’re discussing here. It’s ok to admit you prefer an enter key that works better for those who are…umm…’special.’

• LocalCitizen

astronaut is wired to it to prevent getting lost.. does that count?

• dpaus

And then all us Canadians will point back at the American and laugh at his teeny, tiny, um, ‘entry’ thing?

• BobbinThreadbare

That layout is hilariously bad for perl coding in a linux environment. Worse access to double quotes in exchange for an @ symbol? What the heck. Where is tilda?

Also, personally I think an enter key that’s wider and shorter is easier to hit and makes the keyboard make more sense, every key is fully contained on one row.

• indeego

It’s a you, a Mario!

• Bensam123

Neat, but Rosewill will have to do something better then that to top Corsairs lineup. About the only thing better Rosewell has is a better selection of switches.

• Bensam123

Large blocky enter keys are blasphemous.

• Duck

No it’s not because the keyboard is not any bigger.

• MadManOriginal

It’s easier like a big button phone for the elderly is easier.

• superjawes

I think the real hurdle to this is weight/premiums. One of the nice things about wireless keyboards is that they are both light and mobile (moreso than wired ones), and my mechanical keyboard is significantly heaver than most wires ones I have used. I love it, but it is a beast.

But of course, wireless carries a premium, as does mechanical switches. Getting both might just launch the price out of what they consider marketable.

• Grigory

“But mechanical takes a lot more power.”

*quadruple facepalm*

• Duck

So because it’s easier to use, it’s worse? You must really hate that space bar too.

• MadManOriginal

I guess that’s good if you have terrible aim and can’t hit an enter key that’s already more than two times the size of other keys.

• superjawes

…what?

They’re switches…SWITCHES…unless you’re using a very lossy switch (a bad switch), there is no power loss in the switch, meaning that neither would need more power.

On top of that, batteries lasting a week? My last wireless keyboard lasted 3-6 months on 2 AA batteries because you don’t actually have to transmit anything unless you’re pressing a switch, so you can leave your keyboard on and not lose much power at all.

• Duck

[url=http://www.goodtyping.com/teclatUKok.png<]mmmmmmmm the perfect layout[/url<]. I always feel sorry for anyone having to use a US layout keyboard.

• AlvinTheNerd

Wireless has a bit higher latency than wired keyboards. Part of the appeal of mechanical, especially Cherry brown, is faster reaction in gaming and the wireless latency removes that advantage.

But is one: [url<]http://www.amazon.com/XArmor-U9W-wireless-mechanical-keyboard/dp/B004S862FW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339104684&sr=8-1[/url<]

• brute

is it wired?

• BobbinThreadbare

I’m waiting for the astronaut pencil that can write upside down.

• UberGerbil

Shop for UK models. They still use that style for the most part, since apparently Brits have trouble “entering”

• brute

then i’m still waiting for a wireless pencil

• UberGerbil

Actually, all the mechanical typewriters were wireless. Some of them were pretty portable, too. I still have one in storage somewhere. After the zombie apocalypse, I’m still going to be writing blog posts and stapling them up on poles for people to “like”

• MadManOriginal

At least with through-character backlighting there’s no way the key printing can wear out after a short time.

• ew

Hahaha, a wireless typewriter! When pigs fly maybe. I’m a right?

• brute

In a single post you have made me realize the need for an exit key, and, with shift depressed, a GTFO key

• BobbinThreadbare

Lets point and laugh at the Canadian and his giant enter key

• brute

You do realize that only 2 completely equal cases are possible on a keyboard? It is, therefore, impossible to have a majority of cases.

• brute

im still waiting for a wireless typewriter

• Ryhadar

I can’t stand those oversized enter keys. In the majority of cases it means moving the ‘\’ key somewhere else and making the ‘Backspace’ key smaller.

• yokem55

Back lights are nice, but when are wireless mechanical boards going to come around?

• dpaus

Damn shame they don’t have [url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b8/AT_keyboard.jpg/800px-AT_keyboard.jpg<]proper over-sized 'Enter' keys[/url<], like every decent keyboard since [url=http://mrinterface.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/Watermark/IBM_Selectric_II.JPG<] the original IBM Selectric[/url<] has had.

Share this post with your friends!