Silverstone’s Sugo SG09 packs big punch in small chassis

Computex — Just about every chassis maker at the Computex trade show in Taipei was displaying at least one Mini-ITX enclosure this year. Given the glut, I hope I can be forgiven for mistaking Silverstone’s Sugo SG09 for another one. The SG09 is tiny, with dimensions of 8.7" x 11.6" x 13.9".

Despite those dimensions, the SG09 accepts Micro ATX motherboards. Full-sized PSUs can be squeezed into the chassis, and it will accept a pair of graphics cards up to 13.3" long. As you can see, the case has no problem handing massive CPU coolers, either.

This puppy is loaded with fans, including a 180-mm unit up top and 120-mm models in the rear and left panels. There are mounting points for an additional three fans, and all the spinners are covered by removable dust filters. The filters feature a new weave that purportedly cuts airflow by only 10%, an important consideration given Silverstone’s propensity for positive-pressure designs.

On the storage front, the SG09 features a slim optical bay with a slot-loading face. Two 3.5" hard drives and four 2.5" drives can be bolted to the back of the motherboard tray, which has additional clearance for cable routing. All this can be yours in the third quarter for just $99, Silverstone says.

• Rageypoo

PSU fan in the front is awesome, though I’m not sure how well the exhaust fan will do as far as moving air. If the top fan is an intake fan, I can see this as a problem. If the top and back is exhaust only, where’d the air coming in from? again another problem. The front fan is not an intake can for the chasis but for the PSU.

• UberGerbil

I assume the top and back are exhaust fans; that 120mm fan on the side panel lying in front would be an intake fan (along with the one or two additional ones you install beside it). I’m not sure where the third mounting point is, but it might be in the lower front bezel below the PSU (though that seems like a tight squeeze).

• Mentawl

The big fan up top will likely be the intake, and possibly the side panel fans. Silverstone have been pimping the “positive pressure with huge intakes” thing for a while now :).

• dmjifn

I like its looks, to be honest. More than that, I really dig how they’re willing to reorg the internals to make it so compact without (much?) compromise for high power items. Very tempting. FWIW, from the pictures it appears to actually hold only 4 drives total, not 6: 2x 2.5″ + 2x (2.5″ or 3.5″).

Granted, it’s still not as small as the [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108092<]In Win BK623[/url<] micro ATX (10.8" x 5.5" x 12.7"), but that one requires more compromises.

• Mentawl

Looks to me like 4x 2.5″ and 2x 3.5″ right enough:

[url<]http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_3637.jpg[/url<] Think the 4 2.5" drives are in the cages at the bottom, and the 3.5" drives probably attach vertically to the bar with the yellow grommets. Gonna be darn cosy with all 6 drive spots filled!

• dmjifn

You know, on second look, I think you’re right about that. I stand corrected!
        I guess it wouldn’t make much sense for that vertex to fill up that mounting bracket if you could plug 3.5″ drives there. 🙂

• flip-mode

I don’t think it’s ugly at all.

And if you have a hot GPU and a hot CPU in there then the fans will definitely be worth having.

• pedro

Honest question: Are those fans really worth it? Seems like massive overkill to me.

• Airmantharp

Before clicking on the link, I thought to myself, ‘please don’t be ugly, please don’t be ugly, please don’t be ugly…’

And it’s ugly.

• stupido

Ugly as well as beautiful is purely subjective…

how was the quote? “the beauty is in the eye of the beholder…”

• ShinySteelRobot

Ya, not quite fugly, but definitely on the ugly side. A shame really, since minor cosmetic changes to the front would render a much nicer case.

• Jambe

It’s ugly but the layout is neat; they sure have crammed stuff in there. The drive mounting is weird (see photos [url=http://www.kitguru.net/components/cases/lars-goran-nilsson/computex-silverstone%E2%80%99s-sugo-sg09-is-the-impossible-chassis/<]here[/url<]) but I like it, too. Kudos to Silverstone for trying new stuff in the small case market. That front grate (with integrated filter) pulls off towards the front, which is more convenient for tight spaces than filters which remove to the side (like the TJ08-E), but I think it would look better with a honeycomb mesh (again like on the TJ08-E) or they could even do a side-intake setup like with the PS07.

• cygnus1

I think I like it. It fits a lot of hardware in a pretty small amount of space. This would be good for me to build out a couple nodes in a little vm lab

• Pholostan

A guy at hardforum made a pretty sleek looking front:
      [url<]http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038813830&postcount=17[/url<]