Silverstone’s new tower comes in two flavors

Computex — Like Silverstone’s Micro ATX Temjin TJ08-E chassis but wish it could hold full-sized motherboards? Good news. The TJ08-E’s foundation has grown to accommodate ATX systems. Silverstone will be offering this new tower in two distinctly different flavors, both of which share the same internal structure.

The cases offer dual 180-mm fans up front and one 120-mm spinner at the rear. They feature the same improved dust filters as the Sugo SG09. To increase airflow, the fan emplacements lack metal grills, and there’s a larger gap between the front panel and the fans. Internally, the motherboard is inverted, with the CPU at the bottom and the motherboard tray on the left side. There’s all kinds of room for 5.25" optical drives, 3.5" hard drives, and SSDs.

The quietest of the two chassis is the Fortress FT04, which features sound-dampening foam on every panel except for the one at the rear. An integrated fan controller can spin the fans as slowly as 500 RPM or ramp them up to four times that speed. Any noise generated by the front fans is directed towards the rear of the case via angled side vents just behind the front panel.

While most of the chassis is steel, the front and top panels are aluminum. They have a nice, matte finish that looks very different from the plastic panels on the Raven RV04.

As I walked up to the Raven in the Computex exhibition hall, I figured Silverstone was showing off a case mod inspired by Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy. The ridged layers do look a little like feathers, though.

Silverstone tells us the Raven RV04 will cost $130-150 when it becomes available in the fourth quarter of this year. We didn’t get a price for its Fortress twin, but I’d expect that case’s aluminum panels to command a premium.

• jalex3

I like them, though I don’t like the external visuals of either much.
    The PSU vent on top of the RV04 just looks messy.

I wonder if you could rotate the PSU so it intakes from the inside.
    I can see that being useful depending on your setup.

For the many I assume don’t like the new MB rotation. I’d not worry SS seem to keep selling old models.

I really hope the make a windowless raven. If not then I will be looking for another case.

• PainIs4ThaWeak1

Ok, I’ve been a fan of the 90* rotation of the previous RV series – as the idea that “heat rises” *seems* to make sense in a PC enclosure.

But completely upside down? wth does that accomplish??

• ch┬Áck

reduce the chance of a lawsuit from apple

• flip-mode

I figured it would increase it. Any action you take increases the risk of a law suit from Apple.

Your comment warms the cockles of my heart, good sir.

• destroy.all.monsters

I’m guessing (I know bupkis about the laws of thermodynamics) that it’s to get the heat off the cpu as quickly as possible.

Inside a case, the coolest air will be at the bottom, so perhaps it is as you suggested, but CPU’s aren’t the hottest thing in a case anymore.

I would say that getting the GPU(s) cool is more important these days. A hot 125W AMD processor is nothing compared to a pair of 200W graphics cards with tiny cooling solutions, limited by the width of a couple of PCI slots.

• nicktg

In the TJ-08 the inverted layout improved cpu cooling (at the expense of gpu cooling) by placing the cpu directly in front of the intake fan. Here it makes less sense as there are two intake fans so I`m left wondering myself.

I think a conventional layout with the psu at the bottom would be better if only to eliminate the awkward looking and potentially dangerous (think spilled energy drinks) top vent.

By the way, has anyone noticed that while there seems to be a couple of 5.25 inch bays at the top, there`s no obvious way to access the optical drive?

• jalex3