Crytek to concentrate on free-to-play titles

We all know Crysis 3 is due out next spring. What you might not know is that, apparently, the game may be Crytek’s last retail title. Afterwards, the company intends to focus on free-to-play games with high production values and a $0 entry price. Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli spilled the beans to the folks at Videogamer.com:

“Right now we are in the transitional phase of our company, transitioning from packaged goods games into an entirely free-to-play experience.
“What this entails is that our future, all the new games that we’re working on, as well new projects, new platforms and technologies, are designed around free-to-play and online, with the highest quality development.”

Yerli isn’t kidding about the “highest quality” part. He says Crytek’s free-to-play titles will have budgets in the $10-30 million range and will meet the same quality standards as today’s console games.

Crytek has actually made its first foray into the free-to-play scene already—but not in North America. Crytek Kiev, the firm’s Ukrainian studio, has developed a free-to-play multiplayer shooter called Warface. The game is “currently live in Russia, and is undergoing a closed beta in China,” says Videogamer.com.

• Thanato

TF2, I have to tell people “no I don’t want to trade” more than I care to. Having people friend me on steam just to find out they just want to trade isn’t fun especially when they get mad at you for accepting the invite and not trade’n with em. More or less it’s just another way to get people to pay more for a game, it’s hard for me to see it any other way. Might be some game designs that work well for that, but all in all it’s more like companies just want to turn a PC into an arcade machine you have to put quarters into to play.

• indeego

Pros
    – If this increases PC development time and removes DRM.
    – If it’s just adding hats/colors/non-gameplay elements.
    – If games are released faster because less worry about piracy/DRM.
    – If PC focus is back as a priority.

Cons
    – If it means I pay more for guns 10-20.
    – If game is so episodic that I’m spending more time buying stuff than playing.
    – If the experience feels artificial (ads/interstitials/etc).
    – If those that pay more gain advantage.

I’m going to go against the usual TR Black and White opinions here and say this could be ultimately good for gaming.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’d just like to point out that even with their console focus and CoDing of the game, Crysis 2 has not significantly outsold Crysis 1.

Wikipedia lists both games as having “over 3 million sales,” and a quote about the first one that says they made a profit despite a 22 million dollar budget.

Those nasty pirates how did they get them this time.

• quarantined

I don’t see why they can’t just get back to making a new cutting edge title for the PC. C’mon, Crytek. We need someone to bring something besides poor optimizations and bad ports to make these 680s and 7970s sweat.

• rrr

Take that, piracy!

With several friends working in the games industry, the free-to-play bubble is popping anytime soon.

People are getting tired of microtransactions.

• kamikaziechameleon

They’ve never made or supported a decent MP component… Why would I trust them now.

• Arclight

Don’t, just look up Warface on youtube.

• kamikaziechameleon

I did, they’ve made impressive trailers and gameplay footage before their tech is always solid but MP is a service and in that department they’ve ritually failed. Remember crysis wars??? Didn’t think so.

• Arclight

Impressive? Really? To me it seemed like a low-res textured Cod (with the maps design and game type)/BF (with class roles, medic has defib etc.) wannabe.

I mean look again
          [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvdG7tyKmww[/url<] q.e.d.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’ve seen the footage for this game prior to making my above comment.

• yogibbear

If Cervat Yerli put his troops towards making an AAA F2P that wasn’t P2W I would try it. Not saying I’d be happy about it, but it’d certainly be interesting to see what a decent developer could do with the F2P model. (And TF2 does not count as I paid full price for that with the Orange Box)

• Arclight

Arguably Tribes Ascend is already what you’re hoping Crytek will achieve. But ofc we all want more games.

• yogibbear

Isn’t that still in beta? How do I get it?

• FakeAlGore

No, it was released a month or two ago. You can download it here:

[url<]https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/[/url<]

• Arclight

I’m surprised you didn’t know, we even have a small thread about it created by Forge, feel free to join
          [url<]https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79113[/url<] T:A was released back in Aprill i believe.

• lilbuddhaman

Every update brings another weapon that is better than the last. The best weapons in the game are Automatic weapons, or variations of base weapons that make them significantly better. It’s not completely P2W, but it leans for more towards it.

It’s very annoying to want to play tribes and instead get Halo w/ ski’ing.

• HisDivineOrder

Crysis 4: The Revenge of Ads.

You invade NYC. It was once an urban jungle, then it became it a real jungle. Next, it will become the island from the first Crysis. North Koreans will unexpectedly appear and begin shouting things like, “I KILL YOU!” and “YOUR PENIS VERY BIG!” Suddenly, you’ll realize you never in fact left the original island. You’ve been imagining everything. Aliens in NYC, buildings collapsing, it was all in your mind.

In fact, the aliens captured you in the first game and milked you of all your information while twisting your head around and making you think you were replaced by someone else. Realizing the farce, you break free of the machine after you stop to enjoy a nice refreshing <insert cola ad>. Drinking the incredibly tasty <insert cola ad>, you realize that this can’t be real because the refreshing taste isn’t quite genuine and true to the <insert cola ad> flavor. Breaking out of the machine, you reach for the nearest alien and bash his skull in. Detaching yourself from the computer, you comment, “I hope you have <Insurance Company ad> to cover all these computers. Homeowners Insurance would be a great thing to have to cover your personal property when I go all <insert current action movie> on your butts!”

You march out of the base as it blows up behind you and you turn. On your chest, you have a T-shirt that says, <insert popular sports theme>. Knocking your head back, your helmet retracts and you take a long, sweet swig of <insert cola ad>. Then you pause. A commentator announces, “Sponsored in part by…” and three ads run. One for soda, one for Insurance, and one for a line of sports cola. At the end, the announcer returns. “Now back to our regularly scheduled destruction…”

The future of gaming is here.

• Arclight

+1 for the effort.

Haha, you remind me a lot of something I posted in a comments section six years ago:
      [url<]https://techreport.com/discussions.x/10692[/url<] What's really scary is how easy that was to find :O Google > techreport in-game ads > 3rd result. All hail Google.

• Kurkotain

start conspiracy rant
        i’ve always thought google makes its money blackmailing important people “we’ve got this dirt on you, pay up if you want people not to see it” on things they did on the internet before they were public figures
        end conspiracy rant

All hail google.

• Krogoth

and nothing of value was lost……

• Arclight

I saw Warface ingame footage and trailer a few days ago. It’s not bad but it’s not great either. It was a mixed bag for me and i’m not at all excited about that game. Not like i am about Tribes Ascend (which i have been playing almost daily since i installed it) or the upcoming Planet Side 2 which looks quite awesome (persistant war played by thousands of people on huge maps? YES please).

• Hattig

So either the games will be ad-riddled or players will have to pay for premium features, typically required to get beyond 50% through the game.

• willmore

I can’t wait for the higer resolution ad pack! Free DLC! Yay!