Nano-ceramic bearing powers new Spire fan

Computex — Fancy cooling fans tend to be expensive, but Spire’s latest is set to retail for only $13. We checked out the new Nano-Bearing model in Taipei last week. Here’s what it looks like:

What you don’t see is the "nano-ceramic" bearing, which is coated with tiny, lubricating particles that purportedly offer excellent long-term durability. Spire boasts that the bearings have an average service life of over 70,000 hours, which works out to roughly eight years. The company also claims that the ceramic bearings are more resistant to higher temperatures than traditional designs.

The Nano-Bearing fan will first be available in a 120-mm size, although Spire may also offer a 140-mm version. Power is provided by a four-pin PWM header, and Spire says the fan has a lower start-up voltage than typical spinners. As has become fashionable, the fan features rubber dampers at its corners. If you want to lock down the fan tightly, the dampers can be popped off. The center of the fan can be removed for cleaning, as well.

• rrr

Can it work comfortably in any orientation (unlike sleeve bearing)? Is bearing noise marginal (unlike some of cheaper ball bearing fans like Adda)? These are important things to know.

• jamsbong

When I saw the MacBook Pro’s uneven fin arrangement that reduces noise, I realise that is a genuine innovative solution to fan noise.

This one is just another marketing rubbish.

• Bensam123

There are other fans on Newegg with ceramic bearings… I’m not entirely sure it helps. About the only fan I’ve used off of Newegg that seemed different were the Enermax fans with their magnetic bearing. literally the fan has a magnet inside the middle part that it spins around the center. Ideally it should keep things quieter, but there is still a pin in the middle of that which can start to make noise after awhile (sadly).

I ended up replacing all four of them with Antec Stealth fans, which are about twice as loud.

Woo, Spire have managed to use the new “nano” buzzword (from 2006) and apply it to the standard sintering process to make sleeve bearings.

“Lubricating particles” = graphite-base oil.
    Whenever I see this sort of rubbish, it reminds me of “shampoo-advert science”

\o/

• l33t-g4m3r

That’s marketing for ya. I usually avoid sleve bearing, and go with ball bearing for longevity, but newer stuff seems to be combining silence with longevity.

• CB5000

well graphite grease should reduce noise levels significantly

• NeelyCam

Does this make the fan very quiet?

• smilingcrow

NO THEY ARE STILL LOUD IT JUST MAKES THEM LAST LONGER I THINK!

• superjawes

What’s with all the caps these days? Isn’t that ssk’s job?

• NeelyCam

Maybe he has multiple accounts. He gets so many thumbdowns that I always suspected him of multiplaying and thumbing himself down

• smilingcrow

It’s all in the context as we are speculating on whether these fans are quiet or LOUD!

• flip-mode

Louder for longer, baby!

• DancinJack

I’m all for progress, but I’m not sure fans are the area I care to see the progress in. I don’t know that many people that keep fans for ~8 years, and if they do chances are they aren’t buying aftermarket fans.

e: spelling
    e2: I shouldn’t have said anything 🙁

• smilingcrow

But if they lasted longer surely people would keep them longer?
      I’m all for better fan designs as until they are silent they are a work in progress.

• DancinJack

I was basing that statement upon the fact that the majority of PC users (read: not enthusiasts) don’t care one bit about the fans in their system and they are replaced with every new PC they buy.

I didn’t see much in this article about these new bearings making fans any quieter. I’m sure that would be a big marketing point if it were the case.

• bitcat70

Every component in their PC gets replaced when they buy a new one. What’s your point?

• DancinJack

That a lot of people don’t use fans for 8 years, which seems to be the biggest advantage of these new fans.

• sircharles32

I use fans until they actually grind to a halt.
      In fact I’m “that” type of user that uses pretty much everything until it grinds to a halt.

• Zoomer

How’s that pentium3 600 working for you?

• sircharles32

Don’t joke, I’m still using a dual Pentium II 400 setup, for storage.

• ColeLT1

I have dual PII 450s if you want them, HUGE upgrade.
            [url<]http://imgur.com/CI5hp[/url<]

• sircharles32

Alright, that’s pretty cool, you’ve got these comments in the background (This actual conversation even).

Thanks for the offer, but I’m at the stage, where I’m waiting (hoping), for something major to die on that system. Then, and only then, can I rationalize replacing it with something up to date.

Awesome pic though.

• Starfalcon

Well if he doesn’t want them, I can def use them… 🙂

SF…giving old hardware a home, since 2003

• ColeLT1

If you seriously can use them, send me a PM, and I can get them to you.

They came out of our old old webserver, like the machine before the machine before we went virtual, it is one of those servers that look like a safe on wheels. I would give you the mobo too, but I junked the rest of the server, its been sitting outside in the rain in our computer-trash pile for 2 weeks.

• Farting Bob

My RAM hasnt moved an inch since i installed it.

• flip-mode

Er, I like the idea of progress everywhere. Why exclude fans?

• DancinJack

I should clarify by adding a word to my original statement. “I’m all for progress, but I’m not sure fans are the area I care to see progress FIRST in.”

I didn’t mean to say they should stop engineering new stuff for fans, just that I’d like to see progress in other areas first.

• smilingcrow

I don’t think all the world’s other engineers are on extended holiday whilst Spire work on this fan design!

• DancinJack

That’s not what I said nor do I think that’s the case.

I’m fighting a losing battle though! I concede!

• Vulk

There are a few logical fallacies at play here. 1) you’re assuming that progress here somehow robs from progress elsewhere. 2) You’re assuming that efficiency gains won’t translate somehow to the mass market (from your other post), 3) you’re assuming that progress hasn’t occurred elsewhere.

There’s no reason not to apply materials science improvements that are being done elsewhere to associated products. Do you honestly think the fan manufacturer developed the nano-particles involved here? If they did, do you honestly think that this would be the only application they would be looking to apply that multi-million dollar investment for? Nano lubricants have been around and in mass production for well over 7 years now…

A comment that might possibly be more useful is: “Why the heck did it take manufacture’s so long to use something so obviously useful in their products?”

My two cents.

• DancinJack

I don’t think I assumed any of those things. Maybe that’s what you and others read into my post though. I guess I can’t translate my ideas into words very well.

Now that I’ve had time to think about it I think what I really meant to say is this: I’d like to see improvements come to market for other products and components before fans. Fans are good enough for me as they are. I guess that’s the catch though. It’s what I want, and not the masses.

• smilingcrow

Jack, why not let the fan designers have pride in their work and bring us better fans.