TR BBQ IX to impact on August 11

Cancel your plans, raid the bank account, and saddle up the family truckster on the weekend of August 11th so you can attend the ninth annual TR BBQ event on the shores of Lake Michigan. Dr. Fish has dropped all of the details into this forum thread, including a pledge of an even larger raft this year, which I find difficult to imagine.

The TR BBQ is a most excellent gathering of folks from the forums and fans of the site, complete with actual barbecued ribs, swimming, a baggo/cornhole tourney, a hardware swap meet, swimming, a campfire on the beach, and endless talk of PC hardware, techniques for brewing beer, and anything else you might see discussed regularly in the forums. Also, possibly flamethrowers. I was able to attend for the first time last year, and I’m hoping to make a return appearance, schedule willing. We should have some TR swag there for attendees again, as we did last time. The question is: can we coax Geoff or Cyril into attending? Hmm.

Anyhow, you should be making plans, because it’s loads of fun with a great crowd of folks, with true midwestern hospitality and friendliness on constant display. People came from as far away as California last year, I believe, and I’d like to see us beat that record this time. If you have questions about anything, including logistics, where to stay, and the like, just hit the forum thread and ask away.

• dashbarron

I live close enough, I should go. I’d be a new attendee though 😀

• eitje

We were all new attendees, once.

• Buzzard44

I’ll admit, I skimmed the forum pretty fast, but I didn’t see any address or time. Just a date and “on the shores of Lake Michigan.” Could someone post them so those who haven’t attended in the past can see if they can make it? This is my first year out of college, thus it’s the first time it might be economically feasible for me to attend.

• drfish

Its in Holland, MI and we usually start around 11:00-noon. I PM the actual address to the confirmed attendees a week or so before the event.

• LoneWolf15

I will do my best to make it again. It truly was a wonderful time last time around –thanks to DrFish’s hospitality, and it was great to meet everyone.

This might be the year I go. I just need to take the ferry across the lake and I’m there.

• eitje

Where’s this ferry coming from? I was going to ride a train from Chicago, but a ferry sounds fun too!

• drfish

It runs from Milwaukee to Muskegon – not exactly helpful for your cause.

• PenGun

Hmmm, as a long haired, old vegetarian … I’ll fit right in. 😉

Seriously, I have my beautiful 93 Lincoln Mark VIII and it might even be ready for some Luxury Touring by then. I have a lot to do to it though.

• drfish

Join us, sounds like you’ll fit in just fine. 🙂

• Sheldomaus

Yeah guys anyone who has not yet experienced the Tech Report BBQ is truly missing out. Try to make it out here if you can. You will not regret it at all. Great food, Nerd conversations. The people and the fun time you have is just…its just amazing.

• Dposcorp

Nice post Damage. For those that haven’t been there, you have no idea what you are missing. I have missed one or two over the years, always with regret, because it is always a blast. We sit, chat, drink, eat, swim, play bean bags, swap hardware, have a campfire (for those who stay late), go on the giant raft, etc….

Not mentioned is the following:
    The sheer amount of hardware (a lot of it mine) that gets swapped, sold and bought, the hardware prizes and TR Gear given away by Damage and drfish, the cool stories of everyone getting caught in traffic, the constant posting during the event that includes pics and videos, and the fact that people bring their children to play with other children 🙂

Really, if you are a big TR fan, and if time and money permit, you should do your best to try and make it.

What will it take to get Geoff or Cyril to attend? Donations? Begging?

Also, for those of you that want to give the Mods a piece of your mind, this year I am bringing a MMA cage and gear with me; come get some. 🙂

• anotherengineer

“What will it take to get Geoff or Cyril to attend? Donations? Begging?”

Maybe a paid return plane ticket from Vancouver (Hongcouver) BC to where ever the closest airport is to the BBQ?

Then again, Geoff is an avid biker, maybe him and Cyril should bike there and do it for some charity or something.

• SHOES

Its gonna be awesome this year!

• HallsMint

Too bad I’m a poor college student…

• pedro

Too bad I live on the other side of the world.

Have fun folks!

• Jigar

I am in India and have been missing this event since so many years. 🙁

• WalkCMD

Deleted my dumb comment because I don’t have reading comprehension.

• dpaus

They say facing your problem is the first step. I +1 you for your courage!

• eitje

There will be someone from California (Texas, originally…) there again!

It’s great fun, and I would probably faint dead if Geoff of Cyril showed up.

I hope I didn’t bore Adam too badly, last time. 😉

• chuckula

Sorry I can’t make it this year 🙁 One of these years I will make it up there though.

On a related note… I just got a smoker and those ribs look REALLY tasty… maybe I have a project for this weekend now.

• dpaus

I wish you hot weather and cold beer, but on that day, my beautiful girlfriend and I will be in Boston, on our way home after having ridden the bike [url=http://mapq.st/wKvC8n<]across Maine, through New Brunswick, over the 13-km Confederation Bridge, around the Cabot Trail, along the coast to Halifax, across the Bay of Fundy to St. John, NB (by ferry!), then down the coast to arrive in Boston, before heading back across the Adirondacks to Toronto[/url<]. Between that and a total of 13 concerts that we have tickets to (Beach Boys tonight, Nickleback, Mother Earth, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Santana, KISS, Motley Crue, Steve Miller, Roxette, Glass Tiger, Blue Rodeo, Dukes of September, and, ironically, Boston), we have a pretty busy summer planned 🙂 EDIT: Beach Boys were awesome!

• SHOES

Holy crap! Have fun you will be missed.

• anotherengineer

I guess you don’t have children?

And what no bike ride through the beautiful wilderness of Timmins Ontario?!?!?! 😛

edit: being a nerdy engineer, I want pics of the confederation bridge, piers, etc. 🙂

• dpaus

Typical engineer; everyone else asked for pictures of the beautiful girlfriend in her leathers.

I’d love to ride to Timmins, but first I have to rig up a trailer to hold enough gas to get me there…

• Hallucin8

I could arrange for those, living here and having a psuedo wife who worked on said bridge. When you’ve driven over it many many times it loses the appeal, however it is a engineering feat on it’s own.

• dpaus

[quote<]having a psuedo wife[/quote<] Is she an android or a hologram? Either way, though, I agree: an impressive feat of engineering. (displays great restraint in not asking if his version still emits that same high-frequency whine as the organic ones)

• crsh1976

That’s one hell of a bike ride, sounds awesome!

• dpaus

I’ve reached the point where – after too many years of skipping vacations – I now insist on a couple of weeks off in the summer, and that’s how I spend them.

Last year, we rode within a mile or two of the TR BBQ on our way to Sturgis, but unfortunately, a day too early and we couldn’t change our schedule :-(((

• DancinJack

I wish every year that this was closer to me. Computers, beer, and bbq? It doesn’t get much better.

• Squeazle

Aw. Wrong side of the lake.

• DancinJack

Yeah, hopefully after life settles down a bit I can get there sometime. Maybe a couple years.

• XDravond

I wouldn’t mind dropping by but the little pond is a bit to big for me to swim over…
        I need to start working on my stamina…. 😀

If it were only Lake Michigan to swim over…

I have to endure this one with the worlds biggest LAN (guess where 😉 )instead… might get a good BBQ going, if someone only OC’d their hardware a bit more…