Dishonored dev: for us, the PC is ‘a religion’

I hadn’t heard about Arkane Studios’ Dishonored until our own Geoff Gasior wrote about those teaser trailers, but now, I’m waiting impatiently for the game. The moody atmosphere and art direction reminds me of titles like Half-Life 2 and Thief, and the gameplay looks delightfully bloody.

The folks at PC World recently spoke to the game’s co-designers, Raphaël Colantonio and Harvey Smith, and it sounds like Arkane isn’t going to skimp on the PC version of Dishonored—quite the contrary. Colantonio pointed to the team’s PC development legacy and promised that the PC version will have "its own different interface." Meanwhile, Smith added:

It’s a very cool mix of culture, as Raph was saying . . . At either location [Lyon and Austin] you’ll have people that are like, super hardcore strong about these PC standards. Obviously with the long legacy we’ve had, it’s a religion.

Apparently, the studio is letting staffers passionate about the PC influence development for that platform. The same goes for console versions of the game. I don’t know about you, but to me, that sounds like a recipe for success.

Dishonored is being published by Bethesda, and it’s due out on October 9 for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

• swaaye

Dark Messiah of M&M and Arx Fatalis were inadequately appreciated. News about what Arkane is up to always gets my attention. The teaser vid looks interesting to me.

• l33t-g4m3r

Arx was pretty sweet. I just need to finish playing it someday.

• BobbinThreadbare

A lot of negativity and cynicism around here.

Just getting devs to claim that the PC is important is a good step. For years they outwardly treated PC gamers like 2nd class citizens. This at least shows that they’re trying to maximize sales on the PC and not just doing a quick port and taking any PC sales they get as a bonus.

• Rand

Judging by most developers impression of extremely supportive of the PC I’m assuming this means that it will probably support a mouse in some sense, other then that I wouldn’t be too hopeful.

• Srsly_Bro

You’ve given up on keyboard support?

• lilbuddhaman

Touch interface

• Thrashdog

Don’t be too negative! They probably mean that you won’t have to decrypt a locked config file to turn off the on-by-default mouse acceleration and aim-assist.

😛

• allreadydead

Sadly, the words “PC Standards” means something only when you meant to redefine it with pushing every known limits of it. Not following trends of consolized next-gen PC Standards…

• SPOOFE

[quote<]Sadly, the words "PC Standards" means something only when you meant to redefine it with pushing every known limits of it.[/quote<] What known limits? The absolute maximum that the best of the best available hardware can attain... or the reasonable maximum predictably enjoyed by the average of the total hardware actually available in consumers' possession? Because that second "limit" is going to be gut-wrenchingly lower than the first.

• Jahooba

I heard this over and over. Again and again they give us shallow FOV. 🙁

• khands

I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt till the reviews come out.

• Meadows

Yes, who the hell even came up with the “new standard” 75 degrees FOV? That’s even more terrible than the traditionally accepted, still-bad 90 degrees.

• willmore

Low field of view makes me nausious. I’m trying to play Quantum Conundrum, but I can’t play for more tham 30 minutes at a time. I’m going to have to crack open some .ini files.

• rrr

Yep, in games I play, first thing besides turning the visuals up, is setting fov to 120.

• Washer

Agree completely. I also find it extremely annoying when games increase the FOV when the avatar sprints. Borderlands still stands out in my mind as a game that made down right sick before tweaking the game files because of that.

• sonofsanta

I should think it does remind you of Half-Life 2 and Thief, given that Half Life 2’s architect Viktor Antonov designed the city and the lead designer is Harvey Smith, famous for Deus Ex and Thief: Deadly Shadows 🙂

• nico1982

I have heard it before 😛

• Arclight

Me 2, was just about to make the same comment.

• Vasilyfav

Bioshock, Dragon Age, Deus Ex, Mass Effect.

All suffering from consolitis in some way or another despite similar promises.

• Pettytheft

How did Dragon Age suffer from consolitis? By the fact that it was available on a console? You know I can play HL2, Portal , Doom, etc on a console as well. Mass Effect was a console game first.