Thermaltake Cyclone Edition mouse integrates cooling fan

Thermaltake’s new gaming mouse blows away the competition. Literally. The Black Element Cyclone Edition has a 30-mm fan mounted just in front of its main buttons:

The spinner rotates at 6,000 RPM and is designed to keep your digits cool during heated gaming sessions. It looks a little silly to me, to be honest, but our own Editor-in-Chief has complained of hand sweat compromising his gaming grip. Active cooling might remedy the issue for the similarly afflicted, especially since the Black Element has rubberized surfaces that shouldn’t slip. But there is a cost; the fan generates 21.7 decibels, according to Thermaltake. I’d expect the small-diameter rotor to emit a high-pitched whine rather than a low whoosh.

If you don’t need a breeze moving over your knuckles, the Black Element’s fan can be removed. Without it, the mouse looks like a typical gaming rodent. It’s wired, features an adjustable sensor that tracks up to 6,500-DPI, has onboard memory for macro storage, and is loaded with removable weights. There are extra buttons, LED lighting effects, and switches rated to endure five million clicks. Thermaltake doesn’t mention the Cyclone Edition’s price on its website, but the mouse’s fanless Black Element predecessor can be had for $65 online.

If I wanted a fan to cool my hand, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want it attached to my mouse.

Hypothetically speaking, of course, if I swallowed a couple of CRAZY PILLS, and I [i<]did[/i<] want a fan on my mouse, I still wouldn't go with a chinese-made 30mm model from a company that has a history of making brittle, cheap plastics. [url=http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=usb+desk+fan&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6902213496097603288&sa=X&ei=frLxT8utO4W-0QW90OT9DQ&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAA<]After all, I can get [i<]better[/i<] cheap, brittle plastics for less[/url<]

• crabjokeman

Is the fan adjustable? In the pic, it looks like it wouldn’t move any air over your index (left-click) finger.

• d0g_p00p

What a dumb gimmick.

• bjm

The mouse that can fly!

[url<]http://tiny.cc/mn6ogw[/url<] Edit: Or maybe Motor Mouse is more fitting! [url<]http://tiny.cc/ar6ogw[/url<]

• Saber Cherry

This product, I won’t buy. But if they integrate the fan into the mouse, blowing down through holes in the bottom to create a virtually frictionless hovercraft effect… THAT would be innovation, which I would pay for (if it was quiet and not made in China).

• JustAnEngineer

[url<]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fan-cooled+mouse[/url<] [url<]http://www.xoxide.com/xoliupmowfan.html[/url<] [url<]http://usb.brando.com/usb-optiwind-mouse_p00385c037d015.html[/url<] [url<]http://gizmodo.com/5067516/mouse-with-cooling-fan-led-message-scroller-is-wonderful-actually[/url<] [url<]http://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=MS802RD[/url<]

• Meadows

Which part of “blowing down” was difficult for you to process?

• smilingcrow

You could use the fan as a cheese grater when feeding the rodent!

• MadManOriginal

Enough is enough! I have had it with this mf’ing fan on this mf’ing mouse!

• willmore

You’re holding it wrong.

• crsh1976

I can somehow appreciate the desire to eliminate hand sweat, but the noise kills the deal.. Is using a 6k rpm fan really all they could come up with?

• flip-mode

LOL, it’s so tacky.

• Vasilyfav

This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in the tech world.

• willmore

I agree this is dumb, but ‘the dumbest’?

• DeadOfKnight

I said the same thing about the cyborg rat, but apparently a lot of people have fallen in love with those.

• Thrashdog

It *is* super-comfortable once you’ve fitted it to your hand. I wish the sensor issues weren’t so obnoxious.

• HisDivineOrder

The noise that thing would generate would be obnoxious. It sounds…er… seems like a better idea than it is…er… sounds in reality. What we should have is a large 200mm fan mousepad. It blows up slowly and cools our hand. Have it made of aluminum, kinda like how those laptop coolers are made.

It might not cool the part that’s sweating directly, but it would cool the rest of the hand around and by extension some of the heat would travel out from your hottest part to the parts that are being cooled.

If you want to truly innovate and make a better GAMING mouse, I say work with MS to implement rumble into mice and games. I think it was Logitech who tried a few years back, but PC gaming wasn’t as… focused as it is now. MS could put it into a new DirectX or whatever. I imagine Razer would jump on board something like that fast and all the other “gaming” peripheral makers would follow suit. Logitech would show up last, having been burned before. (Look how long it took them to copy Naga.)

Definitely don’t want to attach any small, loud fans INSIDE my computer and that’s to say nothing of installing one nearly at ear level OUTSIDE it.

• Deanjo

This isn’t the first mouse with a fan. There was one made several years ago but instead of it outside of the mouse the mouse had a bunch of holes on the body and the fan was inside the body.

[url<]http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/computer-mouse-that-keeps-hands-cool-displays-messages-20081023/[/url<]

• Kent_dieGo

A fan? That’s crazy. Now if they could somehow refrigerate the mouse THEN they would have something.

• DPete27

Why don’t they put the fan inside and make it like an air hockey table.

• Captain Ned

Oooh, the HoverMouse. Wouldn’t be surprised to find that someone’s already tried it.

• cynan

Imagine how loud the fan would be that would have enough power to create any noticeable hover? And the power draw?

Besides, if you want to make an “air mouse” the place to put the fans would be in the mouse pad – sort of like a reverse notebook cooler. It would still be loud though.

• Bensam123

I’m not sure, but I believe he’s referring to the little airholes in the table so it cools your hand with air nozzles… At least that’s the way I interpreted it.

• Bensam123

It’s been done already. I forgot the company that did it, but it was definitely a better design then the finger biter/whiner that this thing will become. Could be they patented it.

• ColeLT1

Thermaltake: It was a “Fan on mouse” mouse. You see, it would be this fan that you would put on the mouse… and would make a loud whiny nose while blowing a small amount of air on the top of your hand!!
    Michael Bolton: That’s the worst idea I’ve ever heard in my life, Thermaltake.
    Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

• crabjokeman

Bart Simpson: I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows!

• gmskking

Lol, this is hilarious. If you actually need one of these you should re-evaluate the way you spend your time.

• Bensam123

Reminds me of a mouse a few years back that had a fan integrated into the mouse itself (better design). I think Logitech did it at one point? I’m not sure. I just remember it had a fan inside and venting so your palm wouldn’t get sweaty.

• dpaus

This is [i<]made[/i<] for overclocking!!

• Arclight

I’d prefer a liquid cooled mousepad.

• ludi

“Vee callz ett zee feen-gurr chah-purr, jah?”

Anyway, they’re doing it wrong. Back when Nyko was still making PC products, I picked up a couple of the AirFlo and AirFlo EX gamepads. Those used a fan that was integrated on the underside to draw air into the controller body, which then vented out through a grid pattern of holes in the grips. It worked quite well.

• willmore

I’m afraid it’ll suck stuff off my desk and–at the wrong moment–I’ll be distracted by some odd scrap of paper getting sucked into the blades causing well more than 20db of noise.

• grantmeaname

21.7 decibels is inaudibly quiet. Is that a typo? That would be exceptional for a 6000rpm fan.

• Duck

No you. 20dB @ 1m is clearly audible. You need to get down to like 16dB or below to get into that inaudible range.

6000rpm 30mm is going to be very annoying, I promise you.

• grantmeaname

Sorry, not inaudible, almost inaudible. SPCR’s exceptionally silent-rated fans are [url=http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html<]typically a little louder than 20db at a meter.[/url<] Regardless, the point is, that's quiet enough that it's unreasonable to consider it a drawback, especially when a typical PC is in the 30s or 40s, as evidenced by any TR case, CPU, or GPU review.

• superjawes

Pitch and location are big factors, though. We’re talking about soemthing pretty close to you ear and a whiny sound is much less appealing than just air moving. Your PC components are enclosed, and generally are pointed away from the user, and probably 1 meter away or more.

• Duck

That list is a bit old (2007), and that’s their full speed 12V noise. You can slow them down to about ~500 RPM in practice. Should barely be able to hear it then.

Another thing… 6000RPM would make quite a noise even without any fan blades. Assuming it’s a double ball baring fan, it would make quite a whine. To give you some idea (and depending on how old you are), think how loud hard drives were before they all started using fluid dynamic bearings. The noise they make at idle is pretty bad and they ran at a similar RPM level to this fan. The hard drive motor was encased in metal too, but still it was too loud.

• Meadows

You must have very stiff arms then, because a mouse doesn’t sit a metre away from you. Consider that.

• Farting Bob

Every fan ive ever seen has impossible quiet Db ratings compared to real world usage. any convential fan spinning at 6k rpm will be audible, and as Geoff said, it will be a whiny noise which is generally more distracting.

Also the rodent fan itself looks like a hugely inefficient design with the central hub taking up most of the space, it looks like the fins cant be more than 7 or 8mm in length each. This thing will barely move any air even at 6000rpm.

• ludi

It’s a bog-standard PWM fan design using a hybrid blade, there’s no other way to build it that stays self-contained.

• MadManOriginal

Yeah, just a typical bs dB rating for a fan…par for the course really.

• Sargent Duck

I’m waiting for the water cooled mouse myself…

• BobbinThreadbare

Phase change cooling or nothing.

• ludi

I once made an orange-juice cooled keyboard. It was somewhat an accidental discovery, and what I discovered is that it didn’t work very well.

• willmore

You made me laugh harder than the Nexus Q announcement!

• superjawes

Whoever had the idea for strapping a 30 mm fan on a mouse should be fired…