Fourth of July Shortbread

Eight is Enough

1. Fudzilla: Tablet shipments to surpass notebooks in 2016
  2. Focus Taiwan: New Apple design patent to threaten ultrabooks: officials
  3. DigiTimes: Supply chain reportedly to start volume shipping products for new iMac in July
  4. Fudzilla: AMD 8350 is a 4.0GHz eight-core

and dual-core Trinity is A6-5400K

5. iFixit’s Google Nexus 7 teardown
  6. VR-Zone: hp webOS smartphone dead or alive?
  7. Fusible: Microsoft Corporation secures rights to pair of “Xbox 8” names at arbitration
  8. Breaking news: Newegg’s July 4th only deals

6. KitGuru reviews Gigabyte Aivia Xenon TouchPad mouse
  7. Legit Reviews on Corsair Vengeance K60 & M60 keyboard & mouse
  8. Hi Tech Legion reviews Icy Dock MB559U3S enclosure
  9. Hardware Secrets reviews Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU cooler
  10. Funky Kit reviews Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU cooler
    • CuttinHobo

“Prior art” doesn’t seem to be stopping Apple’s lawsuits. Maybe it’s not too late for BMW to try patenting that 61 year-old aesthetic.

• sweatshopking

roms?

• Deanjo

It doesn’t matter if the douchbag is Apple, MS, Rambus, AMD, intel, etc. What people should be more worried about is how the patent system is broken. Fix the cause, not the effect.

And if you are not interested in “ultrabooks” then why do you care what patent effects them?

• WillBach

I can’t look at Sephiroth and Aerith smiling on the same website. Too painful!

• WillBach

[quote<]Focus Taiwan: New Apple design patent to threaten ultrabooks: officials[/quote<] That is bad news. I really [url=https://techreport.com/discussions.x/23064<]hoped[/url<] it was just for the curvature of the lid. I like Apple and the MBA, but not enough to think they deserve a monopoly on the teardrop profile.

• CuttinHobo

At least they aren’t calling it “the new Xbox”.

• Krogoth

Looks like somebody doesn’t believe this.

• bitcat70

Totally! Thanks man!

• anotherengineer

I wish they would redo Chrono Trigger for the PC, FF4 and FF6 would be nice also.

Here’s to dreaming…………

• gmskking

So wrong

• burntham77

It sure did. I bought it, played it, beat it, all on the PC. Fun times.

• Srsly_Bro

Neely is ultimate troll. I love it! I gave him +1.

• jpostel

BMW would lose that patent. The first BMW to have it was 1961 3200CS, now Google the 1951 Dodge Kaiser.

Not really sure about the clear brake lights though.

One thing many of the TR readers don’t seem to understand about design patents is that they are pretty common outside of the computer industry. I recommend looking up “Porsche design patents”.

• Meadows

Yes I think I even remember it a little. Have never played any of the series. What is it even about that they had to make so many episodes?

• Meadows

Late excuses.

• Krogoth

Vincent and Barret are the only two characters who can one-shot, one-kill Emerald and Ruby Weapons. 😉

• Krogoth

and nothing of value was lost……

• Arclight

You are trying to be tolerable and mature on the internet about a subject that doesn’t matter that much in RL? How dare you? You’re dead to me [spoiler<]/joke[/spoiler<]

• mesyn191

Yea I think this too. The TDP goes through the roof real fast with clock speed increases on these chips.

Their process tech just isn’t good enough to try and out put a “speed demon” design.

• Arclight

I’m not gonna argue about them. It’s just another type of thin laptop i couldn’t give a cr*p about. But how can you not see the douchbaggery of Apple’s brain dead patent?

• mph_Ragnarok

that game came out on PC 15 years ago…..

• Prion

Aerith dies.

I wish I could click that green thumb several times. This is the fist I’ve heard of a FF VII update for PC and I just can’t wait. Wow. Totally must have.

not too tightly, lest it catch fire.

• End User

Ouch. I had to go hug my Xbox 360.

• Deanjo

Still doesn’t change my opinion of “ultrabooks”.

• Ronald

[url<]http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2012/jul/04/higgs-boson-discovered-live-coverage-cern[/url<]

• sweatshopking

not anything MS. i think console gaming sucks, and don’t play/own/like the xbox. I also think a lot of the decisions they make in regards to ads in skype, etc. are dumb. I just like their phones, and windows.

• MadManOriginal

I’m glad you understood that I was making a joke.

• rootheday3

All mobile Sandybridge and Ivybridge have hd4000. Desktop is the only place where the hd2000/2500 skus exist.

• sydbot

Too bad BMW didn’t patent the Hofmeister Kink, or Lexus clear brake light lenses.

• Deanjo

As apposed to them trying to make their product worse?

• NeelyCam

I’m sure you already know when to take me seriously and when to dismiss my posts as trolling, don’t you..?

• NeelyCam

It even goes to -70

• BIF

I gave you a downthumb only because I wanted to see if it goes to -11. It does. 😀

• BIF

I do not claim to be otherwise. You should get a +1 for the nice tie-in with my comment. 🙂

• BIF

I agree, that was a real over generalization. My iPad recently saved my butt by serving as a hotspot. Most times, it does duty as a portable email station, video player, reader, web browser, note-taking device, and financial tool. I don’t play games on my iPad, by the way. It’s a tool for getting fast answers, finding my way, resolving disputes, and fixing non-computer appliances and devices. I’m very happy to have it.

I also have numerous apps that run on my iPad that aren’t even available or are otherwise not competitive on any other platform, including Android (which is what my smartphone uses).

I love Android. But I have to use the tool that does what I need. Often it IS Android, but other times it’s iOS. And sometimes it is Windows.

• MadManOriginal

You’re stupid.

• BIF

I’m a bit disappointed in ALL you guys. Some of you are just molecules from sounding like religious zealots.

Apple, Mac, Android, Unix, Linux, or PC, pick the device that works for you. Please do say why, so that we can all learn. But when you start calling people stupid for deciding on this or that, then you’ve stepped out of the “friendly conversationalist zone” and into something else entirely.

Me, I have all of them except for a Mac. And I’ll probably get one of those too because there are things I want to do and that would be the best tool. Different devices are good for different purposes, and I refuse to let myself get blindsided by my own myopic weaknesses and self-paralyzing prejudices.

I propose a day of technology tolerance. Can I get an “amen?”

• anotherengineer

Does this qualify to be under gaming news?

[url<]http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en[/url<]

• NeelyCam

Thanks!!

• Arclight

The true Apple spirit!

• Arclight

[quote=”demani”<]I dunno, highest ppi in laptop screen, popularized ultrabook form factor (and competitors can't match it without a cash inflow from Intel). Customer satisfaction is excellent, and better than any competitors. These are not insignificant examples, and beyond "the shiney". Not saying everything is top of the line, but they are hardly way behind (except for the towers-WAY behind there).[/quote<] Yes i was talking about hardware, as in CPU, GPU, RAM, sound card, etc. And yes they are way behind. [quote="demani"<]But it's not just warranty service-it's classes, it's application support, it's demoing features. Way more than just repairs. And MOST (but not all) PC manufacturers don't have that level of support (plenty are phone only, which is difficult for application usage support). [/quote<] I must admit i don't understand.......Apple offers application support? Like how? Like if someone doesn't know how to use a program, oh sorry "App"? That sounds like something older people would need that don't understand computers..... [quote="demani"<]Okay, now you've just gone off the rails here. Nobody mentioned 5 year warranties. Customer satisfaction has been tops for five years.[/quote<] So if it's not warranty then what is it? Cause i just linked you in my previous post to an article about Italy suing Apple for not offering the minimum 2 years warranty stipulated by law in (afaik) all EU member states for consumer electronics. So what's that "customer satisfaction" that may or may not last 5 years. I just don't know what your talking about. If it's not warranty i'm not seing how that helps. [quote="demani"<]And that's the amazing part: you are so blinded by fanboi hatred that the facts that people are satisfied with the products they buy and the support for those products is unconscionable, yet Dell selling ProSupport doesn't seem to leave you steamed at all (i.e. selling a higher class of support for more money). Why is that? HP is known for selling cheap gear to consumers, and shafting them on the component quality, on execution, and certainly on support. So some people pay more up front, and some pay later. [/quote<] In my opinion Apple is no better than Dell or HP. Matter of fact they are worse because they are not only the OEM, they are also the OS developer and they offer support only for the hardware they choose shafting the buyers who could build their own machine according to their budget and buy only the OS. [quote="demani"<]Any semblance of rational discussion went right out the window-should we all decry you a Microsoft shill? Or better yet, a retard sheep (hi Jigar) because you can't even consider that you are not the center of the computing universe?[/quote<] ............what can i say, i am the retard sheep that has built his own system, while you are a true expert and totally not a sheep for buying a pre built, OEM system with an OS that can't support modern games. Way to go there Mr. demani

• Arclight

[quote<]One more thing...If your a "Build-Your-Own-Computer" type, check out [url<]http://www.tonymacx86.com[/url<] for details on how to make a Hackintosh With careful hardware selection and some experimenting, you too can get your Mac from [url<]http://www.newegg.com[/url<]. I would still recommend a real Mac if your a neophyte, as supporting a Hackintosh is not a trivial matter. But...it can be done...and money can be saved. [/quote<] If you are also a "Build-Your-Own-Computer" type, you don't need to check any guide on how to choose only select hardware that Apple has chosen to support. You can select any CPU, video card, motherboard, RAM, what freaking ever and it will work with Windows.

• esterhasz

I recently tried a 2010 MBP with a HDD in it and, wow, that was a drag. I love OS X on my Air, but I think that Win 7 does indeed do things with caching that makes a spinning disk setup – however bizarre that very idea may appear – more responsive. I also think that certain programs – i.e. browsers – are simply not as spiffy and sometimes even laggy, even with an SSD.
    I find the overall system still largely superior, for my kind of workpatterns and task domain at least, but in terms of performance plumbing duely behind Win 7. Curious to see what 8 will bring in that respect.

• End User

Looks like you live in your own reality distortion field.

• End User

And yet your enthusiasm for anything M$ spews from its gullet makes me look tame by comparison.

• mutarasector

I don’t believe it mostly is silly for technology. It is silly purely for non-functionality in designs. Patents should cover >functionality< only, not >form<. Anything else application is totally unethical. It’s as if Apple wants complete control on designer expression and/or thought* processes, and is being rather Orwellian. 1984, I tellya…

• OneArmedScissor

[quote<]just think what could intel do if they decided to stick more cores into their chips.[/quote<] You mean 130 to 150w Sandy Bridge E? :p See the next quote below about where that gets us. AMD also has dual-chip Opterons, with 16 cores and 4 memory channels, with a wide range of TDPs, both lower and higher than what's sold for desktops. They also have a new one coming out that has 4 memory channels in the standard 8 core chip. There's plenty of wiggle room here, but it depends on the application. PCs are not the application the Bulldozer chip was designed for. It has flaws in that context that do not apply universally. Remember that it is actually an entire chip, not just a core design. The core was very short lived and never found a home in an alternative chip designed for PCs. A PC chip is more like what Trinity is, and look at the difference it makes. Same clock speeds, but with the addition of an integrated PCIe controller, relatively powerful GPU, and yet, a [i<]lower[/i<] TDP. A tweaked core didn't do all that. It's just the right chip for the job, or much closer to it. [quote<]the result would be even more multi-threaded cpu + much higher IPC than PD will ever deliver.[/quote<] In a PC context, that potentially stands to lower IPC a little. Remember that it just means "instructions per clock," not total work done. The chip has to move things further and work harder just to get the same work done that it was already perfectly capable of with fewer cores. This is why nobody just piles more and more cache on anymore. Enough is enough, and then anything beyond that can get in the way. Despite the quad-core Sandy Bridge E's extra memory channels and L3 cache per core, it can actually be slower at many PC tasks than the regular Sandy Bridge i7. The Ivy Bridge i7 wins outright, as it has even shorter trips from one part of the chip to another. If you want it to actually do more work with more cores, then you start needing more memory channels, PCI lanes, and cache to feed it. The chip gets much bigger and more complex, very fast. So think of those bigger chips not as better versions of what you use in your PC, but as more tightly integrated versions of a multi-socket server.

• Meadows

It was in the previous shortbread.

• Unknown-Error

nothing about the possible ‘Higgs Boson’ sighting at CERN? 🙁

• Unknown-Error

Look like 4.3+ GHz is a major wall. So much for 4.5 – 5.0 GHz turbo speeds.

• OneArmedScissor

I would be less concerned with IPC and more concerned with memory latency.

AMD has a problem there that is so difficult to put a finger on, it implies there may be some sort of bug. This kills them in particular benchmarks that could sway peoples’ decisions, like games.

Bugs can be fixed, though.

• sweatshopking

Surprise!!! Fanboy is a fan!!!

• chuckula

[quote<]If they get a 28% IPC increase, [/quote<] If Intel had gotten Ivy Bridge's GPU to be 20% faster than Trinity then it would take the lead at integrated graphics systems.... the problem is that annoying word "If" in there...

• sweatshopking

I… Love….. You……

• OneArmedScissor

[quote<]Just for clarity: on what basis is Apple unable to compete with Samsung?[/quote<] They can't expand like Samsung, which is a leading semiconductor developer, manufacturer, and OEM, all rolled into one. They don't just design and build small electronics, but even nuclear power plants and construction equipment. Apple is merely a product developer and stuck between a rock and a hard place once not as many people want their product because someone else can do it for less. [quote<]The capitalist metric of how much money they make (aka profit) puts them firmly ahead (as does ROI).[/quote<] None of that has anything to do with production, even if you want to count producing money. The "money" you are referring to is just numbers in a computer or paper with no physical value. Let's look at what they actually have to show for their work. What is Apple's production? Basically zilch, as it's limited to a handful of consumer product designs. What is Samsung's production? Rapidly increasing, in any number of businesses, in capacity, efficiency, and technological progress. [quote<]Just saying…who is on your good side?[/quote<] This is like how people always say to vote for X horrible idea/person because it's the "lesser of two evils" or a "necessary evil." How could evil be necessary? If it's evil, it's certainly not good. But here you are, asking of those who are doing something evil, which is on our good side?!? If you want to talk about competition in the [i<]real[/i<] capitalistic sense, then you need to be talking about who stands head and shoulders above everyone else in [b<]free market[/b<] terms. But you can't, because this isn't a free market. It's a slave market, where whoever seizes control of the system uses it as a whip against everyone else to extract wealth from them, stifle their production, and as a result, progress of the world. The biggest competition is over who gets to hold the whip. That's [i<]crony[/i<] capitalism. The patent system just facilitates fascism. It was supposed to promote technology, but it's killing it. None of this is on anyone's good side.

• End User

There should be no UI jerkyness. The pauses and beachballs suggest you’ve got one heck of a back setup going or you got a lemon.

• End User

I’ll take my MBA over any of my PCs.

• TEAMSWITCHER

Thanks, I forgot to mention that Apple has great industrial design. If you actually read my post you’ll see I mention better hardware – Screens, Materials, Keyboard, Track Pads, Power Connectors. Oh, you were talking about what’s inside? Well, you see, there too Apple uses the latest Intel Core processors with nvidia and AMD graphics. You won’t find any cheap-ass Pentium or Celeron processors in the Mac world. But they are common-place in lower-priced PC laptops.

There was a time when Apple over-hyped their products when comparing them to PCs, but that was over 6 years ago. Today’s Macs are some of the best computers I’ve ever used. There are expensive – I won’t argue that – but the hardware is current and high quality.

One more thing…If your a “Build-Your-Own-Computer” type, check out [url<]http://www.tonymacx86.com[/url<] for details on how to make a Hackintosh With careful hardware selection and some experimenting, you too can get your Mac from [url<]http://www.newegg.com[/url<]. I would still recommend a real Mac if your a neophyte, as supporting a Hackintosh is not a trivial matter. But...it can be done...and money can be saved.

• Shambles

So spending 20% on build costs justifies charging 300% more? Time to come down to planet earth.

• Hattig

But the A6 will surely be comparable in price to an Intel Core i3, and will that come with HD4000 graphics?

• Shambles

Don’t innovate, litigate!

• demani

[quote<]How? Through outdated overpriced hardware but shinny exterior? Oh that's right, it must be fair because it's pretty.[/quote<] I dunno, highest ppi in laptop screen, popularized ultrabook form factor (and competitors can't match it without a cash inflow from Intel). Customer satisfaction is excellent, and better than any competitors. These are not insignificant examples, and beyond "the shiney". Not saying everything is top of the line, but they are hardly way behind (except for the towers-WAY behind there). [quote<]Windows laptops have warranties too.....and paying $80/hour is not how warranties work. At least not in Europe. Idk what strange alien rules you have over there.[/quote<] But it's not just warranty service-it's classes, it's application support, it's demoing features. Way more than just repairs. And MOST (but not all) PC manufacturers don't have that level of support (plenty are phone only, which is difficult for application usage support). And yes, you can bring in a 7 year old machine and they will give you any help they can. [quote<]5 years warranty eh? Like i never ever seen that for a windows computer before....it must be an Apple exclusive thing for sure /sarcasm. Lifetime warranty for individual components must be a myth then.[/quote<] Okay, now you've just gone off the rails here. Nobody mentioned 5 year warranties. Customer satisfaction has been tops for five years. Two completely unrelated things. And that's the amazing part: you are so blinded by fanboi hatred that the facts that people are satisfied with the products they buy [i<]and the support for those products[/i<] is unconscionable, yet Dell selling ProSupport doesn't seem to leave you steamed at all (i.e. selling a higher class of support for more money). Why is that? HP is known for selling cheap gear to consumers, and shafting them on the component quality, on execution, and certainly on support. So some people pay more up front, and some pay later. Any semblance of rational discussion went right out the window-should we all decry you a Microsoft shill? Or better yet, a retard sheep (hi Jigar) because you can't even consider that you are not the center of the computing universe?

• demani

Just for clarity: on what basis is Apple unable to compete with Samsung? The capitalist metric of how much money they make (aka profit) puts them firmly ahead (as does ROI). And isn’t Samsung suing Apple just as well (and so is Google via Motorola)? So are you going to skip Android too? And Microsoft of course since they already sued and won royalties?

Just saying…who is on your good side?

• LaChupacabra

The EU wasn’t wrong to fine Intel for it’s anti-competitive practices. If memory serves they did break laws (pricing product under cost, charging more to vendors if they carried AMD chips). The whole EU court system is corrupt. Those business practices were detrimental to AMD at a time when they were in a position to execute well and to really bring in some cash. But the 1.3 billion that Intel was fined went straight into the coffers of the EU and not to AMD. The corruption wasn’t in the decision.

• rootheday3

and… it isn’t the A10 processor in it, its the A6; which has the 7520G graphics which has half the shader count (192 vs 384) in the A10… I don’t think it would be faster in graphics than Intel HD 4000. and the cpu will be significantly slower than an Ivybridge dual core.

• superjawes

I have to agree that their 3rd console sounds strange with an “8” tag. It would have worked better if Windows 8 was a named version like Vista (Xbox Vista, Windows Vista, Vista Phone?)

Although there is the possibility that “Xbox 8” is not the name of the next Xbox, but rather their initiative to cross the two, similar to how MS crossed Xbox Live with Windows. The next console could be called Xbox 720 and still have “Xbox 8” service as a sort of cloud/sharing service from PC to console.

• Deanjo

Even with all those increases, it still falls well short of intels current offerings in terms of performance.

• Deanjo

In related news….

“intel fan sides with intel after intel concludes intel is not guilty”

It’s just like all those innocent people serving time in the penitentiary.

• Deanjo

No kidding, only have to take a look at the 90% OS marketshare they have.

• JustAnEngineer

[quote=”forumics”<]It has made me swear off of Apple products.[/quote<] This.

• dpaus

I guess they’re going for the Asian market.

• ET3D

If by “for most” you mean “for me and a minority of others” then I agree. Not that I fully understand what “help out with anything” means. As I see it, my PC doesn’t “help out” with anything. It lets me browse the web, play games, and do some other things. Things a tablet could do, in some cases in a more convenient manner.

• Goty

No, retailers are still allowed to sell their remaining inventory.

• forumics

well for one it has made me swear off apple products.

the patent system is broken and apple are using it to their advantage. this in my book is akin to cheating. apple can’t compete with samsung and they are resulting to cheating to make up the difference.

boo on apple. i’ll never buy another apple product even if android is banned from the entire world. i’d just move over to windows 8 or i’ll just give up and use a sucky blackberry. at least i won’t be supporting cheats!

• Arclight

[s<]There was fab 30 in Dresdan but isn't AMD now fabless? How could Dresdan money been used to corrupt. Also hasn't AMD sold the majority of the stocks they had for Global Foundries?[/s<] Edited because of irrelevence.

• forumics

actually i think the problem with BD/PD is the TDP. intel are getting more performance for a lower power use. just think what could intel do if they decided to stick more cores into their chips.
    the result would be even more multi-threaded cpu + much higher IPC than PD will ever deliver. plus haswell is going to be yet another tick.

despite whatever improvements PD has over BD, i’m afraid it won’t be enough for amd to survive another intel tick and a few months from today there is a chance nobody will even consider a PD chip at all!

Because 8 is a low enough number that it could conceivably be thought of as a sequel. Maybe. I dunno. It’d make more sense if they just called the OS Windows Xbox 8 or something.

• Arclight

But how could i say “Been waiting for this for years” when it actually happens?

To be frank i don’t expect them to dissapear as an OS developer, but as an OEM for desktops and laptops, though laptops don’t interest me much.

• dpaus

If they get a 28% IPC increase, that chip is gonna be the leading choice for servers and Java workstations.

• dashbarron

Realistically, what do these injunctions do to consumers? Are retailers forced to pull Samsung tablets from shelves?

• Antimatter

It is strange that AMD is unable to increase the turbo clockspeed since the FX-4170 has a 4.3 GHz turbo. There is a possibility that 4.2GHz is the all core turbo mode and not the 2/4 core turbo mode.

• Dizzytaz00

OK!! Call me stupid or Noob !! For what don’t understand things, but what reading is the pd will never be good as ivy. Yes i get that! What i seeing is AMD, there trying to improve. Not much of an improvement, but some

• SomeOtherGeek

I thumbed you up, because, hey, you are you!

• blastdoor

So if EU courts are corrupt, how will Intel win an appeal to an EU court?

Reading the bloomberg article, it sounds like the major issue is procedural, not substantive.

The irony here is that Intel likely did not need to do anything nefarious. During the Athlon heyday, AMD was always capacity constrained. AMD’s biggest problem was the they were undercapitalized and that OEMs didn’t really trust them to deliver.

I don’t doubt that Intel did nefarious things — I’m just arguing that doing them was stupid and pointless.

• sircharles32

The 4GHz base clock falls exactly where the mesh clock tech promised (10% higher clock, same TDP). However, I’m concerned about the stated turbo clock. It hasn’t moved at all, as it’s still apparently stuck at 4.2 GHz. That doesn’t follow the previous promise of 10% higher clock, with the mesh clock tech. Further, if true, makes me worry that AMD wasn’t able to control current leakage very well, especially if it couldn’t coax higher clocks for the turbo. Piledriver needs a higher turbo frequency in order to compete in single threaded apps (and to finally leave Deneb and Thuban behind).

If this ends up being reality, then Piledriver will be a very competent multi-threaded CPU, but still be slower than Thuban/Deneb in single threaded applications.

This makes my head hurt.

• Dizzytaz00

The AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz is looking to fast enough for my next build. Would like to know & read what OC headroom could be.

• blastdoor

I suggest you hold your breath until it happens.

• Narishma

No more ridiculous than calling the second iteration Xbox 360.

• Arclight

So they got you with their shinny designs, that kinda proves my point.

[quote=”TEAMSWITCHER”<]Do Mac laptops cost more than PC laptops? Yes. Do you get more for your money? Hell yes![/quote<] How? Through outdated overpriced hardware but shinny exterior? Oh that's right, it must be fair because it's pretty. [quote="TEAMSWITCHER"<]Technical Support - PC's laptops are $80/hour at your local GeekSquad/Best Buy, while Mac laptops get free technical support at the Genius Bar/Apple Store"[/quote<] Windows laptops have warranties too.....and paying $80/hour is not how warranties work. At least not in Europe. Idk what strange alien rules you have over there. [quote="TEAMSWITCHER"<]Customer Satisfaction - for the last 5 years Apple has consistently out scored the competition in every, yes every, customer satisfaction survey.[/quote<] 5 years warranty eh? Like i never ever seen that for a windows computer before....it must be an Apple exclusive thing for sure /sarcasm. Lifetime warranty for individual components must be a myth then. Edit: @Apple warranty [url<]http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/italy-threatens-apple-with-potential-ban-over-warranty-dispute/[/url<] @Thunderbolt [url<]http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/why-thunderbolt-cables-will-be-expensive-until-2013/[/url<]

• NeelyCam

Dresden money

• NeelyCam

It’s a good thumbdown boost

• TEAMSWITCHER

From what I can see of the PC laptop market, Apple’s competitors have all but given up. Almost all PC laptops have low-quality 16×9 aspect ratio screens, almost all Apple laptops have high quality 16×10 screens. PC laptops are primarily made from plastic, while Mac laptops are machined from bricks of aluminum. PC laptops have cheap bouncy keyboards and small trackpads. Mac laptops have solid keyboards and large trackpads. PC laptops have 1990’s plug power connectors, Mac laptops have magnetic break-away power connectors. Thunderbolt ports – PC makers don’t even know what these things are, while every Mac laptop has at least one. Technical Support – PC’s laptops are $80/hour at your local GeekSquad/Best Buy, while Mac laptops get free technical support at the Genius Bar/Apple Store. Customer Satisfaction – for the last 5 years Apple has consistently out scored the competition in every, yes every, customer satisfaction survey.

Do Mac laptops cost more than PC laptops? Yes.
    Do you get more for your money? Hell yes!

But hey, you can keep spewing anti-Apple tripe from your keyboard all day long if it makes you feel better. Just don’t expect people to “wise up” while PC makers keep spewing shitty laptops.

• codedivine

[quote<]15.6" Toshiba L840D AMD A6-4400M[/quote<] That is a Trinity based notebook. Looks like Trinity has finally hit store shelves.

• Hattig

The problem is that when Apple does something new, like the iMac, or the MacBook Air, it takes around three to five years for the PC OEMs to make something equivalent. And it costs more.

So people either get the Apple product because it matches their needs, or they get a cheaper but chunkier PC.

I have a late ’11 MacBook Pro, but I haven’t actually been very happy with it, compared to the previous MacBook Pro and the iBook G4 before that. There is something about the OS that it making it unpleasant to use (lots of jerkyness in the UI, lots of pauses, beachballs, etc). I suspect that Mac OS X Lion pretty much requires an SSD to be usable. It’ll probably be my last Mac because I’m not so impressed with Apple’s patent wankery. And I’m finding myself using a £260 HP netbook more than the £1700 laptop because of usability issues. That isn’t right.

This latest “design patent” bullshit is enough to push me to an Android tablet over the iPad 3 when I do get one later this year. Then again I have investment in Android apps because of my phone so that’s the sensible action anyway.

• sweatshopking

some of us do it once it a while for kicks.

• Jigar

But, but, retard sheeps are born every minute.

• Arag0n

Trinity showed a 15% IPC increase from Bulldozer…. 11% higher frequency… we are looking to 28% single threaded increased performance more or less…. I don´t expect it to be a Ivy Bridge killer but hey, it won´t look half bad.. TDP will be the most worrisome thing.

• nico1982

Supposedly, the full name is XBox Infinity, and the 8 is a play on the infinity symbol.

• ronch

I thought the idea of saying you’re the first poster on a topic has faded away quite a while ago. Surprised to see — of all people — NeelyCam, fall into such a habit.

• Thatguy

I suppose they don’t care how useful they are to anyone. They just want to sell a lot of them.

• Meadows

You know, all your supposed “objective” comments go out the window when you start shilling like this.

• Arclight

Corrupted by whom?

• ronch

From “Fudzilla: AMD 8350 is a 4.0GHz eight-core and dual-core Trinity is A6-5400K”

Well, 4.0GHz isn’t a giant leap from 3.6GHz. And it looks like Piledriver cores won’t break the sound barrier in terms of IPC compared to Bulldozer. Even if IPC went up by 10% in most cases (a reasonable expectation), I’d expect the FX-8350 to be only about 22% faster than the FX-8150. Not bad, but not enough to sway buyers from buying it instead of an i5 unless AMD prices it aggressively.

The A6-5400K looks like the perfect choice for a home office PC though. How many cores do you need to run Word anyway and watch a movie afterwards?

• Arclight

I was talking about Apple. That patent is total BS also.

• Deanjo

Ya, I can’t say I’m all that impressed with “ultrabooks” value.

• xeridea

[quote<]Fudzilla: Tablet shipments to surpass notebooks in 2016[/quote<] Yeah, there is a new one of these claims every week. Who cares about tablets anyway? Not that they don't have a use, but for most, they don't really help out with anything.

• xeridea

[quote<]Focus Taiwan: New Apple design patent to threaten ultrabooks: officials[/quote<] If this does stick, and isn't repealed, how does this affect existing products? Not that I care about ultrabooks, but wondering if Apple can just willy nilly patent everything in existence (like they already do), and then stop sales of existing products. I am not an expert on patent law (which is mostly silly for technology).

• UberGerbil

Yeah, stepping back the version count would make sense, but by 352?

Perhaps we should just call it the 8Box.

• JustAnEngineer

Is naming the third one “8” any more bizarre than naming the second one “360”?

• Rand

XBox 8?

Well I suppose it fits with Windows 8, and all the XBox advertisements in Win8 imply that their going to push them as a pair.
    Still, calling the third iteration as XBox 8 sounds a little ridiculous.

• Arclight

[quote<]II.Focus Taiwan: New Apple design patent to threaten ultrabooks: officials[/quote<] *SIGH* Can't wait to see Apple crash and burn when people wise up to their overpriced, underperforming products.

• NeelyCam

Intel will win the appeal because they did nothing wrong, and the EU monkey court was corrupt.

First.

Share this post with your friends!