New screenshots show survival MMOFPS Survivarium

I’m still disappointed that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was cancelled, but I’m intrigued by the next project from its developers: Survivarium, a free-to-play, massively multiplayer first-person shooter that’s all about (drumroll) survival in a post-apocalyptic environment.

Over the weekend, Vostok Games released a handful of pretty screenshots as well as a developer diary video that sheds light on the game’s story, setting, and various gameplay modes. You’ll find the images in our gallery below, and the nearly eight-minute video right here:

The video is sadly largely bereft of in-game footage, but it’s choc-full of details. Apparently, players will have to complete missions for different factions in order to earn money and status, much like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. They’ll also be able to band together for co-op missions, form teams for player-versus-player action, or take part in a "free play mode," in which they’ll have the freedom to interact with human counterparts as they please. There will be RPG elements, too, like leveling up and skill specialization.

I’m a little less clear on the storyline portion of the video. From what I can gather, pollution and climate change somehow cause mutant trees to kill everybody. Or something. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games never had terribly compelling plots, but they were fun and engrossing regardless. Survivarium may be headed down the same path.

• Arclight

[quote<]Survivarium, a free-to-play, massively multiplayer first-person shooter that's all about (drumroll) survival in a post-apocalyptic environment.[/quote<] How massive? Are we talking of hundreds or thousands of players in the same server, at the same time?

• lilbuddhaman

Doubtful. The majority of MMO’s these days barely have 500 people in one place at a time, most are separated by highly instanced environments. This keeps the cost of running the servers WAY down, at the expense of losing that “massive” feelings. The rare times you do see large groups of players together it is A. in a non-combat hub B. A server crashing world event of some kind.

After seeing how bad warhammer online was during 200man battles(10second or longer lag spikes), I have my doubts that we’ll see a truly massive scale game without the experience being terrible. Planetside 2 has potential, but I’m not holding my breath. It’s amazing that DAoC/Planetside 1 could handle large numbers as well (or better) than many modern games, despite being on far older/slower hardware. That’s not to say they didn’t have those server-lagging zergs, but it seems there has been no progress at all….I played DAoC on a freaking 56k modem and who knows what the server was running…what prevents us today from having a smooth,fast, non-laggy 200+ player fight?

Maybe it’s my lack of knowledge but it’s 2012 damnit, I want huge battles, and not just instanced-mini-fights.

• bcronce

“I played DAoC on a freaking 56k modem and who knows what the server was running…what prevents us today from having a smooth,fast, non-laggy 200+ player fight?”

I assume it is and it isn’t a bandwidth issue

1) Network side of things, bandwidth is cheap and you can get lots of it
        2) Processing all of those packets, doing validation checks, running interactions, in real-time can be quite hard

But then again, CPU and Memory is easy to pack.

I’m torn between who cases
        1) #2 from above. Inherently a hard problem
        2) Systems designers *not* using best-practices for multi-threaded async designs.

• Hattig

So now technology can do thousands of realistic trees and excellent long grass and weeds, we are probably going to get a lot of “omg, untended countryside” games.

If a tree tries to kill you, does Tom Bombadil come to rescue you?

I wonder how well the gardening/farming aspect of survivalism is modelled in this game… do you die of the cold in winter if you can’t light a fire?

• kvndoom

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: The Happening

• Jon

Looks very similar to Stalker. Without a doubt some of it’s influence has trickled down into the development of this game.

What they have here is just very early environment footage. Whilst S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a half-decent franchise, GSC Game World has a track record of big ideas executed less-than-well;

I played Cossacks, Heroes of Annihilated Empires and the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Being kind, I enjoyed them all for the most part. Being critical, each of them had major flaws that we only forgivable given the originality or uniqueness of the game elsewhere.

Perhaps they’ve learned from prior mistakes, and this will be a simpler, more manageable project for them. I will be hoping that this will be great (because i’m enjoying Day Z at the moment) but I would be ignoring all my past experience and probably being massively naive to think that this will be anything other than a buggy, flawed mess that justifies itself with one or two original quirks.

• Bensam123

No zombies?

• willmore

No zombies, no thanks.

• Bensam123

Yeah, can’t say I’m a huge fan of a game that has no ulterior pve element and involves survivalism. I can go camping and do that with relatively little risk.

• BloodSoul

If this and Day Z collaborated we could have a Plants vs. Zombies shooter!

• willmore