Deal of the week: Cheap storage for Steam’s Summer Sale

Valve’s Steam Summer Sale is in full swing, giving us a good starting point for this week’s deals post. There are a few interesting bargains in today’s collection of discounted games, including Portal 2 for only $5 and Max Payne 3 for $30 (50% off the usual asking price). Numerous multi-game packs are available from various big-name publishers, as well.

The freshly released Spec Ops: The Line is part of one of those Steam packs. Amazon also has the game and is selling its own downloadable version for half price at $25.

We’ve also found a handful of compelling hardware deals this week. Inexpensive SSDs still abound, of course. The most attractive option on that front is probably the OCZ Agility 3 120GB, which starts at $105 on Newegg. Coupon code HARDOCPX711A knocks 15% off the price, and there’s a $15 Newegg gift card in the mix, too, which reduces the Agility’s effective cost to about $74—a mere 62 cents per gigabyte. If you don’t want to mess with the rebate, Mushkin’s Chronos 120GB, which uses the same SandForce controller, is available for $90 on Amazon.

In the market for more substantial storage? WD’s Caviar Green 2TB is only $100 at Newegg after coupon code EMCNCJN23. That’s a 5,400-RPM model, but if you need something faster to serve as a system drive, Seagate’s 7,200-RPM Barracuda 1TB costs only $81 with promo code EMCNCJG53. You know you want a solid-state system drive, though.

North of the border, NCIX is running out of names for its regular sales. This week’s Ships Ahoy sale event has a bunch of nice deals, including a particularly tempting SSD: Corsair’s 120GB Force GT, which is selling for $76 CAD with no rebates or special codes. The Core i7-3770K is down to $300 CAD, $40 off the usual list price. It’s not often you see the latest Intel CPUs discounted at online retailers.

• MadManOriginal

Here’s a cheap per GB price on a 180GB Agility 3 [url<]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227789[/url<] $150-22.5 promo code on the page (through 7/17) = 127.50 - 20 MIR = 107.5 = 0.60/GB

• cygnus1

Nice price/GB, but I still don’t trust sandforce and especially not OCZ

• designerfx

yeah, I like OCZ’s speed but they really are the most risky drives to be getting at this time.

• Johnny5

Portal 2 is half price at $10 now. Guess I missed out. Buying anyway.

• TurtlePerson2

Spec Ops is tempting me. I haven’t seen Zero Punctuation give so positive a review since Bioshock. Still $25 is a lot for what would be a single-player game for me.

• Shambles

You forgot to mention the whole “refurb sandforce SSD with only a 90 day warranty.” thing. The drive isn’t worth much more than $10.

• Deanjo

Warning: that chronos is not the much faster Chronos deluxe. The specs are nearly identical on mushkins website but the chronos utilizes asynchronous MLC instead of the preferred synchronous MLC and real life transfer speeds hurt because of it.

PS there is a high failure rate on that particular model as well. Just check mushkin forums.

• MadManOriginal

It’s no different than any other synch vs asynch Sandforce drive, right? Vertex 3 vs Agility 3, Corsair Force vs Force GT, etc.

• Deanjo

The big difference is that there are very few reviews on the Chronos. You can find a ton of them on the Deluxe. Plus like I said, the failure rate is very high on them. I’m now on the third one in less then 2 months.

• indeego

I’m curious why you would put up with that?

• Deanjo

Put up with what? It made it past neweggs return policy (although it had exactly 270 Gig written to it). It will be definiately be the last RMA to mushkin. Time to call it a loss as any more shipping would pretty much equal the cost of the drive itself.

• indeego

Tell Newegg that you are sick of the drive. There are humans behind the company and they want your business more than a single sale. Trust me they will consider it if you’ve been a faithful customer.

• l33t-g4m3r

Is there an article overviewing different nand types and controllers? There’s too many types and even newegg doesn’t give you all the exact details. eg: “Memory Components: MLC”

• MadManOriginal

I don’t know that there’s a comprehensive list anywhere. Web search by model number is really the best bet. Manufacturer’s page is a start but may not have all the details, if not try various review sites.

• ULYXX

I didnt see the $15 gift card either as DerFunk said and If you’re shopping amazon, the OCZ agility 4 is $93 with 5 year warranty vs Chronos 3 year.

[url<]http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Agility-2-5-Inch-AGT4-25SAT3-128G/dp/B007ZWVCOY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342225638&sr=1-2&keywords=OCZ+Agility+3+120GB[/url<]

There is not a $15 Newegg gift card in the “mix” or otherwise for the Agility 3.

• yogibbear

I have 30GB left between 3 x 2TB WD caviar blacks and an ssd…. EEEEEEEEPPPPPP!!!!! About to go to the PC store tomorrow and finally buy another HDD… god damn floods making me chuck everything onto external HDDs and delete stuff.

• mcnabney

I dropped in a 2TB WD and a 1.5TB Seagate this morning. My server was getting crowded. I could have saved $10 if I had waited another week. Oh well.

• Kaleid

The crises is fake:
      [url<]http://news.softpedia.com/news/HDD-Crisis-Was-Fake-Seagate-and-Western-Digital-Post-Big-Profits-266676.shtml[/url<]

• ludi

Ever see what happens when you give a puppy a tennis shoe? He rips it to shreds, but that proves nothing about either the quality of the shoe or the dog’s ability to perform tricks — tennis shoes are not high-endurance chew toys, and the puppy is just doing what comes naturally to a young dog.

That’s roughly the impression I got when trying to figure out what the author’s point was in that article.

At $75 (or thereabouts) I am really thinking hard about the Agility 3. Is reliability any better now than, say, prior to the BSOD firmware?

If you filter the Newegg reviews by “verified owners” you wind up with some pretty positive reviews there. Color me surprised.

The rebate is of the “instant” variety, so no waiting for a check that will never come.

• Corrado

I have a 120GB Agility 3 in my wife’s MacBook Pro and its been nothing but rock solid for about 2 months now. Sleep and everything, its been fine. I made sure to verify the latest firmware was installed as well.

Tiger Direct just sent me an email about the Samsung 830 128GB for $89, mgiht go that route instead.

[url<]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2318704[/url<] I already have an Intel 320 120GB, this would be just to get my sample libraries and plug-ins on an SSD too.

• Forge

Come on Tiger, do the same for the 256GB version and I’ll take three. Even coming from TigerDirect, I’d give it a shot at ~180$ each (doubled 128GB price)

FWIW I am giving the Samsung a go. We’re talking the same price here – there’s no Newegg promotional $15 card on the Agility 3, so there’s no price advantage for the OCZ drive. I loathe TD but they have what I want at a price I”m willing to pay. Wish me luck.

• syndicatedragon

Sold! Thanks for posting!

Yessir! You are welcome!

• TheEmrys

I’ve got one in my desktop, and its well worth the money. Never had an issue with it ever.