Windows 8’s release set for October 26

Over the past few weeks, we’ve seen Microsoft progressively narrow its release time frame for Windows 8. First it was this fall, and then it became late October. Now, we finally have a final release date set in stone: October 26, 2012.

Windows chief Steven Sinofsky delivered the news at Microsoft’s annual sales meeting today, and the information popped up on the Blogging Windows blog soon thereafter. According to Microsoft’s Brandon LeBlanc, who wrote the blog post, the October 26 date applies to both retail Windows 8 PCs and upgrades to the new operating system.

Speaking of Windows 8 PCs, Microsoft said last month that the ARM-powered version of its Surface tablet will come out simultaneously with Windows 8. I guess we can expect it on October 26, then. The same probably goes for most of those touch-enabled ultrabooks and x86 tablets Intel talked about yesterday.

In the end, Windows 8 will make it into stores almost exactly three years after Windows 7, which rolled out commercially on October 22, 2009. It’ll be interesting to see how sales numbers for the two OSes compare—and, of course, whether Windows 8 can carve itself a substantial slice of the tablet market.

They’ve apparently done [url=http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-8-a-benchmark-for-music-production-applications/<]plenty of work under the hood[/url<] (and [url=http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/music-developer-on-windows-8-a-leap-forward-for-desktops-a-leap-backward-for-metro-winrt/<]more on the topic[/url<]), enough so that I'm probably going to come around on Windows 8 for my little niche.

• kamikaziechameleon

Curious to see what Asus does with windows 8 and x86.

• TEAMSWITCHER

Just in time for the very beginning of the 2013 Back-To-School season. I think that’s also the same time that Apple is launching the iPhone 5, the iPad mini, and maybe even a 13″ Retina MacBook Pro.
    (I seriously want a 13″ Retina MacBook Pro)

That explains the $40 price tag – its about all the average consumer will have left after giving Apple hundreds and hundreds of dollars. So…even if Windows 8 is a success (fat chance), it’s not going to generate the kind of revenue that Apple enjoys. Plus, that revenue is divided up among a host of PC industry players – Microsoft, Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, Samsung.

Overall it’s great, but for any one company it’s anemic when compared to the Apple Juggernaut.

• yogibbear

Quick! Start buying those Windows 7 OEM licenses now and piles them up in your bomb shelters before the prices start to inflate!

• Omniman

I swear copies of Windows 7 became cheaper. At least the family packs can be had for 110 bucks.

If these x86 tablets and touch-enabled untrabooks aren’t available for purchase on or before October 26th, this is a pointless announcement;

I’ve had the W8 consumer preview running on a free-for-all laptop at my desk for a while now, and I’ve had nothing but confusion and disgust from the many people who stop by to see what all the fuss is about.

It’s certainly going to take a lot more work on the interface before the enterprise segment even raises an eyebrow in interest.

• yogibbear

2012… the end of days is almost here! Thank god we only have to live with W8 for 2 months before our PCs rise up against us and purge humanity.

• Decelerate

Maybe Windows 8 [i<][b<]is[/b<][/i<] to prevent the rise of the PC...

• CuttinHobo

That’s genius! Windows 8 is an attempt to make Skynet less efficient, giving the human resistance a fighting chance.

Windows 8: savior of humanity!

• Madman

Nope, Windows 8 is more efficient, it also prevents human operators to operate it normally. It’s all bad, really bad…

• Madman

No intention to get one, not for 40$, not for 15$, not even for 0$

Actually MS would have to pay me, hmm, 100$ or more for me to use it. Ok, if they would not make me use it, maybe I would install it for 50$, and dual-boot to Mint & Win7.

But if I would have to use it every day, even 100$ gift from MS would be too little. I value my time and productivity.

I had Win8 RP for a month, I could stand it for one week, and it has been replaced with Win7 & Mint. And Mint is within 95% confidence of becoming the main, and maybe even single OS. Linux nowadays is really *that* good, shocker I know…

• blastdoor

When is windows 9 supposed to come out?

• Shouefref

Not until we have new inspiration to bash them, I hope 🙂

• sunner

“Windows-8 in October !!”…..

Isn’t that Halloween season?
    Will Ballmer be riding a broom?

• Shouefref

He doesn’t need one to look scary.

• internetsandman

All he needs is a shirt that highlights sweat stains

• Welch

Its like Microsoft is trying to see if they can alienate themselves from consumers even further in hopes of getting the vote as underdog eventually.

Not only does Metro suck but Windows 7 is only 3 years old by October. Hell there are so many people still clinging to Windows XP and only for the fact that they are used to it and they are too cheap to buy Windows 7 compatible hardware. Now that the majority of users have bought Windows 7 systems due to their 8+ year old P4 systems dieing, how exactly are you planning on talking them into buying a whole new OS especially with how well Win7 works?

When the numbers come out about the adoption rate for Windows 8…. pay close attention to the number of UPGRADES as im sure they will omit that information. Uninformed people will pay the 30 bucks thinking that they are getting a great deal. Upgrades are a nightmare 90% of the time anyhow due to registry changes and software installs on individuals machines.

I find it interesting that IE10 hasn’t been released for Windows 7…. seems like something that might be exclusive to Win8 even though betas work on Win7. I wouldn’t put it past them.

Never thought id think another OS would be my primary but im ready to start using Ubuntu in a few years, especially if the steam ports take off like crazy.

• Rand

I don’t think IE is a selling point to anyone, so I doubt they’d bother restricting that to Win8. There isn’t much benefit to them. Virtually no one actively chooses to use IE, those that do use it simply use it because it’s the default browser.

I imagine they’ll re-do IE 10 in a Metro style and make it more touch oriented, and push it onto Vista/7 and hope that it gets basic users more accustomed to using Metro style applications.

• moog

IE10 is going to be the fastest browser, why won’t you use it?

• Kaleid

IE10 isn’t even out but it feels already outdated.

• Fighterpilot

“Upgrades are a nightmare 90% of the time”
      Yeah right…got any more pulled out of your ass statistics for us?
      Do some research on the MILLIONS of upgrades done and get back to us…

• Shouefref

Upgrades give me the shivers. That’s nightmarish enough for me.

• trackerben

I just migrated our last industrial PC across nine chipset generations from Intel 440BX to 946. It had been previously upgraded from NT4SP2-4 to W2KSP4. Custom Win32 components developed over an eight-year stretch continued in production throughout with nary a hitch. There is an asscociated server machine which was similarly upgraded from the same base but to one chipset (965) and one OS cycle (XP) further.

There is of course no full and easy migration path to Windows 7/8 from XP, but that holdout system kept the pace for more than 12 years, and will continue to do so on refreshed hardware. Microsoft OSes from NT5.X onwards are not poor to upgrade, just difficult in some cases.

• Ragnar Dan

I thought the recent story on TR said the Windows 8 upgrade would allow even XP to be upgraded.

• trackerben

Last I heard, Microsoft is offering Windows 8 as an “upgrade” option but only as an install-over and not as a full upgrade with data and settings migration.

• sweatshopking

not true.

xp -> 8 will keep your documents, pictures, etc. but it won’t keep settings.

• Shouefref

[quote<]they are too cheap to buy Windows 7 compatible hardware.[/quote<], Xcuse me? Why would you buy something new [i<]only because it is there[/i<]?

• Farting Bob

Welch is too cheap to buy the newest Ferrari, even though his 20 year old ford is working fine for his needs.

• Madman

Ubuntu is ruined with Unity, it’s Mint you should be looking at nowadays – [url<]http://distrowatch.com/[/url<]

• internetsandman

It’s like they saw how Apple can almost intuitively decide what the average mainstream consumer wants (not enthusiast) without the consumer being aware of it…..and then decided to adopt and subsequently butcher the hell out of that tactic.

• Krogoth

I wish Microsoft good luck on Windows 8.

I honestly can’t see it getting any decent foothold in the traditional desktop market and it is going to fight an uphill battle in the portable arena where Apple is the current king.

• moresmarterthanspock

I’m not going to be in any hurry to get Win8. 7 works just fine for me.

• sschaem

Sorry, no good luck / break a leg wish from me.

They spent 4+ billions , hire the ‘brightest’ mind money could buy (I question that) to build metro.
      Its all MS making, luck should have no play in this. It a good product or its crap….

Lets the number speak…. Will Apple PC share raise or fall from this release.. lets tally up 2012 numbers.

• Shouefref

Or Ubuntu’s.
        Or Red Hat’s.
        Or Android’s.

See: Ballmer’s trick is working: he’s always feveriously shouting around about Apple, but Apple is not the natural competition of MS. It’s like Honda shouting “We won’t be out-innovated by Rolls Royce”.
        Nobody is gonna replace his Honda by an RR, nor vice versa.

• Frraksurred

Great! I’ll check it out some time in 2014… maybe.

• gmskking

I’ll make sure and write that down…or not.

• Shouefref

Nevertheless it’s an important date, because after that you won’t be able to get W7 anymore.

• ModernPrimitive

I bought a new laptop and I’m eligible for the $15 copy of Win8. I’ll be taking it for a spin.

• sschaem

I can think of 1000 better things to do with 15$…. Dont waste you money.

• rrr

Shoving down a stripper’s thong.
        Setting it on fire.
        Letting goat eat it.

A few better things to do DO come to mind, indeed.

• Shouefref

I had just been thinking:
        W8 won’t have a Start Menu.
        But, what if you try to install pre Win 8 software on a Win 8 pc, and the installation software wants to put something in the Start Menu?
        Some of those programs do that by default.
        But there’s no Start Menu anymore.
        So the program won’t install. So you’ll need an upgrade of your program.
        That’s gonna cost lots more than a meagre 15 bucks.

• Krogoth

Start Menu never went away.

It became a “Start Screen” and the shortcuts that normally get thrown into Start Menu will end-up populating the Start Screen.

• chrissodey

I just hope MS doesn’t do anything stupid like make DirectX 12 exclusive to Win8.

• Rand

Given how much they need to push people to Windows 8 ASAP I’ll be genuinely surprised if DX12 isn’t Win8 exclusive, I’ve pretty much accepted that.

I’m just wondering if they make DX12 exclusive to Metro, and only allow a subset of DX12 support on the desktop for backwards compatibility.

• codedivine

That is assuming that there *is* a DirectX 12.

• Rand

There’ll be one, they won’t cede that to OpenGL and as hard as they’ll try to push the Xbox through Windows 8 they must know gaming on a PC won’t die. If they kill DirectX then OpenGL will step into the gap.

And games using OpenGL means easier porting to Apple. It’s pretty clear Microsoft is terrified of Apple right now, so they won’t want that.

• sschaem

Vavle & Steam on Linux… MS is making mortal enemies all over the place.

Valve could spearhead a linux gaming movement.

When you have tools like Uniity, Unreal, ID Tech, Source, even Flash 3D … running on Linux MS is on the hot seat when you have a billion $ strong distribution engine (upcoming from Valve)

At this point who cares about Directx or OpenGL, we are so far away from the HW that it doesn’t matter much anymore. OpenGL will win, I can guaranty that. DirectX lost steam (pun intended) years ago.

I’m saying like it is, but MS is getting owned by Apple & Google, and Valve is there to pickup the pieces.

MS is the Nokia of 2012.. owns it , global domination… now begging for attention.

The good ? Soon MS can fire their army of lawyer fighting monopolistic law suits as they wont be relevant anymore. Who will care if Windows9 ship with IE13 built in…

• cygnus1

You have literally lost your mind. Almost no game on steam right now runs on OpenGL save for source engine based games. And that’s either just a hedge on the part of Valve, or just not wanting to drop their original investment in OpenGL for their ridiculously old engine that the are still able to wring money out of.

Talking about gaming, how do you figure MS is getting owned by Apple & Google? What, Google has Angry Birds in the chrome app store? That’s not killing anybody. Now Apple might be nipping at MS with their iOS gaming sales, but it’s nothing compared to what sells for xbox and windows. Currently windows gaming doesn’t make MS a ton of money, but once the games start getting sold through the MS app store…

just watch the numbers.

MS App Store is Metro-only. Not really interested in what they’ll be offering on my PC.

• sschaem

Watch the trends. Its Valve, ID, Epic, Unity, etc… that show that they are all behind OpenGL

What does the ipad support? OpenGL
            what does android support? OpenGL
            what does OSX support? OpenGL

What does web browser support ? Web GL

most people have OpenGL devices to run games, not DirectX.

DirectX is on its way out unless you write a AAA Xbox only title.

And all those dev platform supporting Linux, and Valve creating a distribution platform for Linux.
            Do the math.

The writing is on the wall…

• yuhong

AFAIK Win8 does include a new version of DirectX, but the new version is 11.1 and NOT 12.

• bthylafh

Imagine the nerd rage from a move like /that/.

“I *hate* Metro but I really really wanna play Battlefield 5!”.

• [+Duracell-]

Just like the masses that said “Fuck Origin” but bought and played BF3 and/or ME3 anyways.

• sschaem

Fire up Steam on Unbuntu…

• Mystic-G

It would require good DX12-exclusive games for anyone to care. As it stands now, any developer who essentially made a Windows 8-exclusive game would be throwing money at the wind.

• Rand

Well they did try to push DirectX 10/Vista through a DX10 exclusive with Shadowrun. Unfortunately for them nobody cared about it.

I suppose they could try again, perhaps with a Halo title?
        I doubt it though, I don’t think they want to port their own AAA games onto PC too quickly. That could take away from the XBox as the source for all your Video/Music/Games marketing angle.

• sschaem

Seing how MS pissed on the PC community with their XBox exclusives? I dont think so…
          MS “Wanna play GW 2, buy an xbox you freak!!!”
          US “But we have an xbox, it sucks.. wheres the PC version?”
          MS “Go to hell!”

• yogibbear

What would MS use though? Garbage like Halo?

• Tristan

They will make DX12 available not only for W8, but only for Metro. For them desktop OS is legacy.

• UberGerbil

Judging from the sentiment around here, they should’ve just pushed it back 5 days.

• ludi