Asus, HTC commit to Android 4.1 updates

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is out, but the number of devices running Google’s latest OS is relatively small. Only a handful of the company’s own products—the Nexus 7 tablet and Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S smartphones—have received official updates. PC World says the old Motorola Xoom tablet will also get a Jelly Bean update, and HTC has confirmed that its One X, One XL, and One S smartphones will get a taste of the new OS.

Just a few minutes ago, Asus made an official statement clarifying its plans for Jelly Bean updates. The Transformer Prime, Transformer Pad Infinity, and Transformer Pad 300 will all receive Jelly bean updates “in the coming months.” The original Transformer isn’t on that list, but Asus says it’s “still investigating” bringing the OS to other devices. Fingers crossed.

Asus has done a good job of keeping its tablets up-to-date with newer versions of Android, so it’s no surprise to see the company committing to Jelly Bean. Samsung has been much slower to adopt Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and the firm hasn’t confirmed its plans for the newest release. SamMobile’s “insiders” claim the Galaxy S III will get a Jelly Bean upgrade in August or September, and that the S II and other devices are being considered, as well. Given Samsung’s history, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I would take a closer look at devices due to receive Jelly Bean updates, though. We’ve been playing with the Nexus 7 for a few days now, and the freshly optimized interface has an iPad-like smoothness that’s a definite improvement over Ice Cream Sandwich. Android 4.1’s Google Now feature looks intriguing, too, although it may have more utility for smartphones than for tablets.

Google makes a new version.
    Manufacturers take the new version, and waste time add arguably useful bloat on top.
    Carriers take this freshly-bloated OS and add absolutely-unwanted adware and bloat.

There are TWO steps between your device being updated and Google making a new version. Each step adds delay and deviates from the OS you actually want. I don’t see this problem being addressed in any way whatsoever.

• squeeb

[quote<]Samsung has been much slower to adopt Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich[/quote<] Makes one wonder why they have been the manufacturer for Google's last two flagship phones...

I don’t think Google cares if people get ICS or JB in the form of updates or new phones, unless it’s their own flagships that they have a hand in development for.

• Martian

Not even then, the Galaxy Nexus theoretically got the JB update, theoretically…

• dashbarron

I just started using a transformer with Android. From my experience with using iOS for a year and a half, the Android OS is a huge breath of fresh air. The ability to customize apps and the way they work with the OS not to mention the OS itsself, is something I forgot i missed so much.

• Corrado

I loved customizing everything and playing with new ROMs, until I realized that I spent more time ‘setting things up’ and ‘playing’ than actually USING my devices.

• dashbarron

=D

But at least that option is there. With iOS, if you don’t like a feature you live with it; there is no option 2 clicks away to make a miserable experience pleasurable.

• Tumbleweed

My EVO 4G is over in the corner, crying. *sad panda*

• Ashbringer

Why, is it broken? Why not visit XDA-Developers and get IS for your phone? CM9 is way better then anything else. CM10 is already in the works and some phones already have an alpha.

• BloodSoul

This is why I can’t stand Android, it shouldn’t be big news that companies are updating their clients to the latest version of a free open source OS… it should just happen. If you are producing so many devices that you cannot keep up with properly servicing them, you are doing it wrong. Apple has taken over the smartphone market, not because they offer some unbelievably superior product, but because they don’t leave their customers behind. I had so much hope for Android back in the day…

• BobbinThreadbare

[quote<]Apple has taken over the smartphone market, not because they offer some unbelievably superior product, but because they don't leave their customers behind.[/quote<] Really, ask any 3S user about Siri. It works perfectly fine on a jailbroken phone, but Apple doesn't let it's customers install it. Not left behind indeed. Also, Android was much later to the market and is about on parity with iOS for market share.

• DancinJack

Android is pretty far ahead as far as market share goes.

[url<]http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/?p=32494[/url<] Also, I don't think the reason the iPhone is so popular is because they provide timely updates to the OS.

• BobbinThreadbare

They’re being outsold now, but they had a lot more iPhones out there before you could buy Android, so market share is higher.

• DancinJack

Sorry, I’m confused. Am I reading that wrong or something? Android has a 17 percent higher market share than Apple in the US according to that chart.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’m was in a rush and didn’t read the 2nd graphic, oops.

Thought it was just about new buyers. I’m surprised how fast Android has grown, I thought Apple had closer to 50% of the market.

But the phones are still getting iOS updates at the same time as the new phones. The 3Gs is now 3 years old and it’ll get an iOS 6 update.

• forumics

granted, deliberately crippling the iphone 3g after upgrading to IOS4 isn’t leaving customers behind

• MadManOriginal

This makes me wish Asus would make smartphones.

• forumics

well they do, just that they are either expensive or ugly and mostly don’t run android
      [url<]http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sQuickSearch=yes&sName=asus[/url<]

• albundy

considering that Sprint’s ICS update for the S II is a nightmare, I hope JB does better. I refuse to run my ICS update due to the one fact that many people are reporting that they are having battery life cut by more than half. i cant even imagine charging my phone six or more times a day!

• Voldenuit

They also need to get the carriers on board for timely updates. I know that AT&T is pretty bad about updates, but don’t know if they’re alone in this.

Sure there are workarounds, but not everyone wants to root their phone just to keep their OS up to date.

• codedivine

Yes, though I think for tablets there is simply no excuse. Samsung hasn’t even updated many of their Wi-fi tablets past Honeycomb till now.

Toshiba hasn’t, either, and their ICS update was pushed to “fall”. Thrive owners should get a partial refund. :p

• Corrado

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile are all terrible with updates.

• DancinJack

Samsung is so bad with updates to the OS. I honestly don’t get why they have the majority of Android handset market share. I really hope Google makes a Motorola Nexus this fall. REALLY hope that happens.

• BobbinThreadbare

One word: screens

• DancinJack

I assume you’re talking about samoled stuff. I actually don’t quite get that either though. Some of the SLCD and IPS(specifically the iphone) screens on phones are as good or better than the samoled screens you see on a lot of phones, at least to me.

• BobbinThreadbare

Find me another phone with 4.5+ inch screen.

Samsung totally owns that market.

Edit: Don’t SAMOLED screens also have lower power draw?

• DancinJack

I’m pretty sure most LG phones use their own panels. They have quite a few 4.5″ and larger phones.

Yeah, I think samoled does have lower power draw than LCD or SLCD. And apparently Samsung also owns 50% of the manufacturing venture that produces SLCD as well.

• BobbinThreadbare

Wikipedia doesn’t list a single LG phone over 4.3″

[url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Android_devices#LG[/url<]

• DancinJack

Well, that list is incomplete.

[url<]http://www.phonearena.com/phones/manufacturers/LG/?filter_feat[/url<][]=4

• BobbinThreadbare

Learn something new every day I guess.

True indeed. +1

• Rurouni

SAMOLED probably on average use less power than LCD, but if you like browsing the web (which predominantly use white or bright background) then SAMOLED will use much more power than LCD (basically it need to power up those tiny led), while bright image should use less power on LCD (because the default position for LCD pixel is transparent and if you want to make it darker/opaque you’ll need to power it. Backlight for the LCD display use lower power compared to powering those LED pixels).

I believe HTC (and probably others) have 4.5+ inch screen phone.

But the thing with Samsung is that even if you choose their non LED phones, their LCD panel is still one of the best. And it becomes really apparent when you choose their lower end product vs others. The viewing angle in their lower end phone is one if not the best compared to their relative competitor.

• codedivine

HTC One X with its IPS LCD?

• DancinJack

I’m fairly sure the One X has a SLCD. Made my the joint venture of Samsung and Sony.

• Corrado

My HTC Titan has a 4.7″ SLCD that looks great.

• CuttinHobo

Small nitpick: Samsung may be bad about updates, but the Nexus products bypass that and get their updates quickly. My Samsung-made Nexus S is running Android 4.0.4. 🙂

• indeego

Can we touch you?

• CuttinHobo

Only if I choose where!

• DancinJack

Small nitpick: Being a Nexus product doesn’t automatically bypass it. Your Nexus S should be running 4.1 or 4.1.1 at this point like the Galaxy Nexus. Also, the CDMA version of the Galaxy Nexus lost AOSP support for a time and Verizon is more or less destroying the whole point of it being a Nexus because they are holding the updates back until they approve them. The VZW Nexus doesn’t have Wallet and it has a couple VZW apps installed when you buy it. So, yes in most cases owning a Nexus will help with the OS updates, but it’s not even a given on a Nexus at this point.

• sweatshopking

solution: wp8

• willmore

Windows Phone, the solution to a problem noone seems to have.

• DancinJack

I hope everyone thinks this post is as funny as I think it is.

• sweatshopking

it WAS sarcastic.

i’m referring to my post being sarcastic, the original one, i mean.

• sweatshopking

well. there is the update issue. you are guaranteed 18 months of updates. I’d say updates are a problem for a lot of users.

Actually, solution: any carrier but VZW.

lol

Sorry SSK. That isn’t the solution. You can’t even buy a WP8 capable phone right now. You know, since NO WP7/7.5 phones are WP8 capable.

It does however surprise the crap out of me that Windows Mobile holds more market share than WP. Truly confusing if you ask me.

replied to wrong post.

• CuttinHobo

It’s true that there’s a version out newer than the Nexus S has, but I expect some delay when my phone is not the primary target of the update.

I know that it’ll show up, which is more than a lot of people can say. 🙂

• squeeb

Yep, total bs. I had to side load wallet onto my Nexus because VZW blocks it on the market. F*CK YOU VERIZON.

• Corrado

Why only 4.0.4? 🙂 4.1 came out for it last night! Get with the times man!

• CuttinHobo

I’m so behind! Please forgive my Amish tendencies!

• Peldor

I think far fewer people care about updates than this community realizes. It’s not a meaningless factor, but it’s not even in the top 5 for most people IMO.

• DancinJack

That’s likely true. Sometimes it doesn’t help to be a nerd.

• sweatshopking

no, people care about updates, they just don’t realize that they need don’t need to buy the new phone to get the new features, they just need the oem to not be a jerk. people buy new phones all the time believing that they have to get new stuff, when they could get the new stuff on old phones if the manufacturer bothered.

• wingless

CyanogenMod + Samsung = SEX! Samsung makes great hardware and the modding community does the rest. Everywhere else but the USA you can use Kies and do an OS update ON-TIME as well…