‘Rigid Gems’ demos real-time hybrid ray-tracing

When it comes to graphics eye candy, we have a heckuva sweet tooth here at TR. One of our long-standing favorites is the demo from Japan simply known as "rthdribl," for "real-time high-dynamic-range image-based lighting." This demo uses DirectX 9 to implement in real time the lighting techniques pioneered by Paul Debevec for offline rendering. Although the demo is many years old, it still is one of the most photorealistic real-time graphics demos anywhere, in my view.

Happily, today, we have a new contender in the same vein, also from Japan: a demo known as "Rigid Gems" that claims to use "hybrid raytracing" and DirectX 11 to produce some stunning visuals.

As usual, YouTube’s compression saps much of the detail from the video, so you’re not quite getting the whole story visually. You can download "Rigid Gems" from its website and run it for yourself. It runs fluidly for me on a GeForce GTX 680 at 2560×1440. I suspect we may have a new favorite load-testing app for graphics.

Be aware, though, that I have no idea whether this executable is embedded with hideous malware or the like. I just click, look at the pretty pictures, and hope for the best.

• lycium

Going by the “hybrid” description, I’d guess they’re doing normal rasterisation for the primary visibility, then ray tracing for shadows and reflections/refractions.

Since the primary visibility rays are nice and coherent, this is usually of questionable benefit over just making the whole thing a ray tracer, but then, I write commercial ray tracing software so my opinion is biased πŸ˜‰

• Jakubgt

How is the file so small? I figured it would be fairly massive with so much detail

• Meadows

There is no texture detail. It’s just mostly models and colours.

• Krogoth

There’s very little texture data involved.

It is just pulling shader data from either the API or the program itself.

• plonk420

if you think this is small, check out the 64K [url=http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=58262<]Epsilon[/url<] or 4K [url=http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=51443<]Photon Race 2[/url<].

• StefanVonS

Standard ALT+ENTER puts it into full screen mode.
    Also, hold down INSERT and you can pretty much wipe out DOF

• Dposcorp

DANG IT; BEATEN TO IT.

ALT-ENTER FTW

• Firestarter

Correction: LEFT-ALT + ENTER puts it in full screen mode. I was trying the right alt the whole time 😐

edit: It also seems to be upscaling from 1280×720 or something, I definitely get better results when I just resize the window.

• JMccovery

Only problem is that when run in fullscreen mode, it runs at either 640×480, but some of us want a less ‘pedestrian’ resolution, something like 1600×900 all the way to 2560×1600…

• Prion

The visuals are incredible but the physics seem fairly impressive as well. The depth-of-field effect is really overdone though, needs a smaller aperture.

• Bensam123

Yeah, what I was thinking…

• danny e.

yup. shallow depth of field is super silly.

it was probably all beautiful and then someone said “lets make this more like windows 8” so they reduced the dof to the point that they dont actually have to render 90% of anything because the rest is simply a blurry mess.

• shank15217

You can remove DOF with a single button, try again

• faramir

It’s Paul Debevec. The URL contains his full name.

Dyslectic much ?

• Meadows

Seems so.

• JMccovery

Even though this is about Rigid Gems, I have found settings on rthdribl that can bring my 7750 to its knees:
    64-bit textures, 24/8 depth/stencil, 16x AA (Supersampling + ED24xAA in CCC) and HQ glare – 640×480 @ 12-18FPS. Can’t even run it at 1600×1200 with these settings.

Now, as for Rigid Gems, it seems as though no matter what settings I use, it doesn’t run much below 30FPS when run in full-screen windowed mode, since I can’t seem to get it to run in true Fullscreen mode.

• Airmantharp

I was wondering whether this would work on AMD cards- I have a 5770 that’s going into an HTPC of sorts, might be interesting to see how well it works.

• vargis14

Same here it plays around 30fps on my 7750 also. I also seem to be limited to fullscreen windowed mode.

Can we get some other AMD car user to see if they get fullscreen, but now windowed.

I also checked my memory usage at 1080p…..if i remember correctly it only used approx 300MB of 1GB card memory.

Aliens vs Predator benchmark at 1080p uses 700-800mb…just added that for a reference.

• cynan

Stupid question: How do you tell/change resolution? When I run the exe, I get a window that looks to be about 1650×1080…

• Firestarter

Just resize the window. I haven’t seen a fullscreen option yet.

• Firestarter

Readme.txt in English (courtesy of google translate): [url<]http://pastebin.com/YXADzGGz[/url<]

• Firestarter

So I showed this to my girlfriend. She thought I was going to propose xD

• Dposcorp

Well, I just looked at the site and answered my own question; this has some beefy recommendations

Core i5: Recommended
    RadeonHD7970: Recommended

lol

• BestJinjo

Ya, but that’s an exaggeration. The demo runs fast even on a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo CPU. HD7900 series also has no problem running it at all.

• yfital

runts at 60 fps ( vsync … ) on a q9450, 4gb mem and 560ti …

pretty awesome, just horrible controls πŸ™‚

• plonk420

Phenom II X3 705e + gf440 here (25fps in the medium sized window it created). waiting for the weather to cool down outside before i run it on i7 + 5870.

• pedro

The music, by the way, comes from Plaid’s rather awesome Tekkonkinkreet (鉄コン筋クγƒͺγƒΌγƒˆ) soundtrack.

• glacius555

The demo being from Japan explains it, coz I wondered about the choice of music at first, when Ron linked it in the shortbread some days ago.

• Arclight

Guess they went for the “fabulous” look with those demos.

• indeego

[quote<]"I just click, look at the pretty pictures, and hope for the best."[/quote<] About sums up my TR reading experience.

• lilbuddhaman

And the DX11 Demo Shortbread mystery is solved.

• Dposcorp

“I just click, look at the pretty pictures, and hope for the best.”
    Damage = every typical user who I swear at under my breath 5 days a week. πŸ™‚

P.S. I love the older demo; you could run multiple instances of it to to really load up the system, along with Prime 95/Orthos, etc..

Nice for really stressing a system.

• Damage

Did I mention that I only ran the demo on a dedicated graphics test system? πŸ˜€

• Dposcorp

I figured as much; also, you don’t phone me for support 80 times a day either. lol
        It was just that I was reading that sentence as I was getting call after call from users and it was a perfect description. πŸ™‚

I am at work now, but can Damage or anyone else running this give us some more info:

Does this need to be installed?

Is there a DX9 or DX10 mode, or is DX11 the minimum spec?

Is there a FPS counter built in?

Can you run multiple Instances?

Anyone running it on a lower end DX11 card or IGP?

I have a Ivy Bridge setup at home with Intel’s HD Graphics 4000 inside, and it is gonna be fun to try this out it.

• krazyredboy

I am using a Q9550, with 8Gb of Ram, a GTX 560ti 1Gb and Windows 7.

Runs great at 1900×1200!
          Ran 3 instances before a very noticeable slowdown, but yes, it will run multiple instances.

I hope that helps, at least, a little. Granted, my video card, is by no means, low end.

• cynan

No installation (no registry changes)

If there are DX9/10 modes, I couldn’t find them

If there is an FPS counter built in, I couldn’t find it.